Richard Dawkins reference in CMI?

So I'm playing CMI, and I'm looking at the portraits of famous patrons of the Barbery Coast. When I look at the portrait that is the furthest to the left. Guybrush reveals that his name is "Captain Richard Squawkins." Aside from the similar-sounding name, there is nothing else that would make you think they were referencing the famous, or infamous, atheist Richard Dawkins. Do you guys think that it is a nod to him?

Comments

• TeaTea
    edited July 2011
    It's probably a reference, yes. There's stuff like this absolutely scrawled all over the Monkey Island series and, indeed, most LucasArts games.

Captain Rottingham, obvious "nod" to Captain Nottingham.

Edward van Helgen... van Halen.

Honestly, it goes without saying that there are references and nods to a lot of things in Monkey Island.
  • edited July 2011
    Speaking of Richard Squawk- I mean Dawkins, there is another reference of his in Tales of Monkey Island, when one of the books is labeled "The Threepwood Delusion", a spoof of Dawkins' book, The God Delusion.
  • edited July 2011
    Debbie82 wrote: »
    Speaking of Richard Squawk- I mean Dawkins, there is another reference of his in Tales of Monkey Island, when one of the books is labeled "The Threepwood Delusion", a spoof of Dawkins' book, The God Delusion.

Which books in "Tales" are you referring to?
  • edited July 2011
    Which books in "Tales" are you referring to?

I'm talking about the books on the bookshelf in the Voodoo Lady's shack in ToMI Chapter 1.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.