Spoon Isle Trio: Same characters, different voice actors?

I'm having an issue here with the Spoon Isle Trio in Chapters 2 and 5. Andrew Chaikin's Monkey Island Wiki article claims that he voiced "Pirate Ted the Swordfighter", but watching the videos of both Chapters 2 and 5, and according to someone here at the forums, I'm convinced that the Wiki isn't telling the truth. The voices of the Spoon Isle Trio from Chapter 2 seem to have been rearranged in Chapter 5 somehow. In Chapter 2, the Swordfighter sounds a lot like Killick Hardtack, and I assumed him to be Pirate Bill, since according to the Chapter 2 end credits he is voiced by Brian Sommer, the same guy who voiced Hardtack. However, in Chapter 5, we see the same Pirate Bill the Swordfighter, but he is instead voiced by Chaikin. Same goes for the Treasure Hunter in Chapter 2, who sounds like a Trenchfoot sound-alike, and whom I assume to be Pirate Ted, since he is voiced by Chaikin (who was then Kid Beyond). In Chapter 5, however, the same Pirate Ted the Treasure Hunter is suddenly Irish-sounding and is instead voiced by Sommer (though both Sommer and his Treasure Hunter character are missing in the Chapter 5 end credits). As for the Thief of Chapter 2, he sounds like a very tough dude with a bit of a British accent, and I assume him to be Pirate Kevin, since he is voiced by Jared Emerson-Johnson (the same guy who voiced the Marquis De Singe). In Chapter 5, however, the same Thief now speaks like a redneck in a low-voiced Southern drawl, and I assume that he is the same Kevin the Thief, with the same voice by Emerson-Johnson. I have evidence that the voices of the Spoon Isle Trio in Chapter 2 are kind of rearranged somehow in Chapter 5, according to these videos.

Video 1: Chapter 2 Swordfighter Bill (Brian Sommer)

Video 2: Chapter 2 Spoon Isle Trio of Swordfighter Bill (Sommer), Treasure Hunter Ted (Andrew Chaikin) and Kevin the Thief (Jared Emerson-Johnson)

Video 3: Chapter 5 - Same Spoon Isle Trio characters, different voice actors?

Since the Spoon Isle Trio's voices have changed, I don't know what to think, but the staff at Telltale Games should tell me the truth: Did the voice actors for the Spoon Isle Trio really get switched around? If so, why did the voice actors change the voices of the Spoon Isle Trio? If only the Telltale Games staff would tell me the truth. :confused:

Comments

• edited July 2011
    With all due respect... I am fascinated by your way of finding the most insignificant things and make them look epic, by putting them in a whole new light.
    (it's a compliment)... :D

I'll check with the Miwiki crew. Good catch!
  • edited July 2011
    I noticed this too, but it doesn't really bother me. In fact I'm pleased it's the biggest issue I had with Tales. :)
  • edited July 2011
    Well, Andrei, I appreciate your trying to contact the MI Wiki staff, but is anyone else in the Telltale Game Staff giving me an answer to this?
  • edited July 2011
    I reckon a memo was passed saying "get these three voice actors for these three characters" and they accidentally forgot to specify that each one was a character that had already appeared and had been cast.

But this is NOTHING compared to the boulder flinger coming back at the end of Escape with a generic pirate voice. HOW that got into the final game I cannot fathom.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited July 2011
    Okay, okay... you caught me!!

Here's the thing... Originally, these 3 characters were just non-descript pirates that were part of McGillicutty's crew. They weren't really intended to come back in ep 5. However, when writing ep5 and I realized I'd need more characters than our modeling bugdet allowed, I decided to make good use of the characters we had. I thought it'd be fun to write the story so that the guys who beat up LeChuck while he was still "Good" would get their punishment after LeChuck regained his evilness!

Anyway, when we recorded the characters for ep5 their expanded roles weren't quite what we wanted from the original cast. And I think at least 1 actor was not available to return. Ultimately we made the decision to recast, opting to forgo the previous "bit" performances for ones that made sense for the expanded roles in the episode.
  • edited July 2011
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Okay, okay... you caught me!!

Here's the thing... Originally, these 3 characters were just non-descript pirates that were part of McGillicutty's crew. They weren't really intended to come back in ep 5. However, when writing ep5 and I realized I'd need more characters than our modeling bugdet allowed, I decided to make good use of the characters we had. I thought it'd be fun to write the story so that the guys who beat up LeChuck while he was still "Good" would get their punishment after LeChuck regained his evilness!

Anyway, when we recorded the characters for ep5 their expanded roles weren't quite what we wanted from the original cast. And I think at least 1 actor was not available to return. Ultimately we made the decision to recast, opting to forgo the previous "bit" performances for ones that made sense for the expanded roles in the episode.

Is that why the voices for Pirates Bill, Ted, and Kevin were switched?
  • edited July 2011
    Well, I hate to keep this up, but I corrected some character names for Andrew Chaikin's Monkey Island Wiki page, as well as correcting the character names for a few other pages. Just a reminder.
  • edited July 2011
    Ah, that makes sense. The second voices are better anyway, I think. The only one that bothers me is the headless guy, as his speaking role in Episode 2 was more major than the others and consisted of a few long lines. Of course, it could be the influence of the pox...
  • edited July 2011
    Well, I've created a Monkey Island Wiki page for the Spoon Isle Trio, while I can think of ways to update the game scripts for Chapters 2 and 5. So what do you think of this page link?

http://miwiki.net/Spoon_Isle_Trio
Sign in to comment in this discussion.