Trespasser 2?

edited July 2012 in Jurassic Park
Hello all! I am really sorry if I am not supposed to be starting this thread here, and if not please delete it or move it however you would like, but with lack of the well-needed information on the great Jurassic Park game coming from Telltale, I was hoping that I could get some opinions and also help keep the community around for whatever news on the Jurassic Park game that is coming soon.
Anyway, most of you Jurassic Park fans may have heard of the amazing game, Jurassic Park: Trespasser, which was released in 1998, from me or someone else in Telltale's Jurassic Park community. If you have, then you probalbly know just how badly that this game "failed" after three years of hype because of low-budget, buggy gameplay, and lack of communication between the games designers. My question for you guys, is that, if you know of this game (or knew of it back when it was being rumored to be one of the greatest games ever, before its release), would you guys enjoy and buy a great remake from Universal, and what would you guys want to see in this game? I personally would buy it and I would want to see a game with the same story line as the last one, with today's graphics, amazing AI, more dinosaur species, less weapons (to make it more of an adventure game and less of a FPS like Telltale is trying and like the original Trespasser was supposed to be like), more levels and areas, and an overall complete game this time. Lemme know what you guys think!

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I think it would be awesome...It's just universal has to find the right people and I don't know if Universal will go through the trouble of remaking a failed gamed.(It failed to them. Not us)
  • edited July 2011
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I think it would be awesome...It's just universal has to find the right people and I don't know if Universal will go through the trouble of remaking a failed gamed.(It failed to them. Not us)

Haha, I love the "it failed to them. not us". Its so true, actually. I think that they just need to realize how much potential it had, and yes, they would have to find the right people, and when trusting someone with the rights to Jurassic Park and The Lost World, its difficult who to choose. I think the best choice they made with the games based on JP was trusting Telltale, although Trespasser isnt a Telltale-type game, so I wouldn't really be happy with them doing a remake of Trespasser just because the first-person part wouldnt work for them. But I do love what they are doing with the franchise right now, and when they are done doing what we've waited for for so long (a good JP game), I think it is time for Universal to get a good team together to make an amazing remake of Trespasser, that will turn the eyes of the world back to Jurassic Park, and that will go down in history as one of the greatest games ever, like the first was supposed to!
  • edited July 2011
    Trespasser was a pretty ambitious game at the time.. But you can tell at some point they just gave up... NOW... these types of games have been made many times.. the game engines and tech is in place.. all it needs is a developer to have faith in the project and take it all the way to completion...

Yes I would buy it on release day.. I would probably even take the day off from work to play it all day.

Games like Batman Arkham asylum prove that you can take a tired format and pour love and effort into it and it WILL be good....
  • edited July 2011
    I would buy Trespasser on release day, no question. I loved that game to death and despite its flaws, was a great game. I loved the idea and the gameplay was unlike any other Jurassic Park games I've played. Jurassic Park has a giant fanbase and with all the Trespasser fans, it would be instant profit.

Add some more dinosaurs, give a variety of weapons/items to use to fend yourself (not shoot all dinosaurs in your path), the ability to travel to deserted aspects of Site B, better voice work and some easter eggs and you've got an amazing remake/sequel.
  • edited July 2011
    I would buy it day one for sure. But the chances are pretty much zero! It would be a big expensive project, and the concept is very unusual, no Non-Stop-Modern warfare-Shooting-Action, it would be too risky despite of all the JP-Fans out there. Listen to John Carmack, its not about being creative, its about making money!
  • edited July 2011
    I would buy Trespasser on release day, no question. I loved that game to death and despite its flaws, was a great game. I loved the idea and the gameplay was unlike any other Jurassic Park games I've played. Jurassic Park has a giant fanbase and with all the Trespasser fans, it would be instant profit.

Add some more dinosaurs, give a variety of weapons/items to use to fend yourself (not shoot all dinosaurs in your path), the ability to travel to deserted aspects of Site B, better voice work and some easter eggs and you've got an amazing remake/sequel.

Good suggestions, and yes, the "not shoot at all the dinosaurs" part is sooo true. Also, it is real important, and that is why i respect Telltale's JP game so much, its because they arent making you shoot everything in your path like Rambo, so all of the people hating on that can go back to CoD. I dont like the button prompts too much for a Trespasser game but they are working pretty well for the Telltale JP game so far so lets see how it turns out.
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    I would buy it day one for sure. But the chances are pretty much zero! It would be a big expensive project, and the concept is very unusual, no Non-Stop-Modern warfare-Shooting-Action, it would be too risky despite of all the JP-Fans out there. Listen to John Carmack, its not about being creative, its about making money!

It would be an expensive project and the chances are pretty much zero, but Universal is dying to get JP back to the front of every magazine so they are willing to work for it. This would make money just because if you guys remember how much the world wanted Trespasser (an adventure game) back then over all of the FPS games, I think it would work even better today. Maybe even throw in a multiplayer so people arent switching backk to CoD... :D
  • edited July 2011
    You could consider the canceled Jurassic Park: Survival to be an unrelated sequel to Trespasser. Which dinosaurs would most likely be featured in this supposed sequel guys? Any new ones that you think would make it in?
  • edited July 2011
    I would certainly buy a remake and a sequel of the game! I wanted to buy the original, but I just figured that it wasn't really worth it for being so obscure, and expensive. (At least where I buy my older games.) I'd like to see an end to the whole broken arm thing, (I just thought it looked stupid, when your holding a longer gun.) I'd also like to see mabey some cut scenes here and there, and I to get rid of the Utahraptor at the end. (You have the Velociraptors! You don't need to throw in their real life counter parts for the hell of it!) Multiplayer would be fun. (but not as the main selling point.)
  • edited July 2011
    I loved Trespasser as a kid, but as far as realism goes, I never understood why there were so many Raptors. I'm sure someone counted them in the game, but holy mother... moreover, they had to be massacred for the most part. That was the only thing I never liked about the game: mass murder of the Velociraptors.

Anyway, I remember I used to envisage a sequel called 'Trespassers' (how original:)) where you'd be part of a team and every decision you make affects who survives. If you are good enough, you may be able to save everyone, but just as well you might be sole survivor.

But this is as far as I got.:D
  • edited July 2011
    I've never played Trespasser, but I have watched Let's Play videos, and I have to say it was an awesome idea, in fact I so wish I could go back and purchase it. But my computer's too updated by now and I just don't trust downloading everything. ANYWAY! I'd like to see a remake of Trespasser in the form of an Arkham Assylum style game, and instead of just shooting dinosaurs, you can use the environment, play tricks to knock them out and everything.

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE, I think making Trespasser into a movie would suffice for JP3 instead of the story line they gave us.

And one more thing. If they ever did any of this, I would hope they took out the whole "My arm is broken" thing.
  • edited September 2011
    Well i bought trespasser back in the day,actually 2 times! The first version was simply unplayable...I had 2 dual voodoo's 2 with 12mb each of video memory! and it was unplayable...Yet the team stayed with the game and after a year released a huge 50mb patch(the whole game minus the cinematics is around 200mb...) that fixed a gazillion bugs.Also a european version was released with even more fixes but as the game had flopped big time they did not bother releasing a fixed us version...I picked that version but i waited until i had builded a new gaming system and around in 2002 if i remember i played it again on a p4 and it was one of the most amazing experiences i had in my gaming life.It was not so much a game than....like a island walkthrough.....while trying to stay alive...It was difficult to explain for people that have not played it but it was bloody amazing....

IF a game like that is made or someone decides to remake this game i would definetely buy it..

Ps-IF you want to play Trespasser as it should always should have been played try to find(edit download as it is impossible to find) the european patched version and then go to TresCom unnoficial site and download :
    1-the official 1.1patch
    2-the unnofficial 2.3 patch
    3.the hd patch that adds support for hd resolutions.
    4.the quick save menu patch that adds quick save functions.
    5.The distance patch that add infinity distance viewing.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't know how it should be called but every JP fan who cares for videogames have always fantasized about playing a game in which you could explore the two islands and meet all kinds of crazy dinosaurs. With today graphics, it would be possible to recreate the universe we all dreamt of. Even if I'm 20 years older now, I would still buy such a game on day one.
  • edited September 2011
    As a huge Jurassic Park fan I was totally hyped in 1996 when Trespasser was mentioned in a mag here in Austria for the first time. The whole concept was something I always dreamed of since I saw the movies and read the books.
    Especially back at those days it was completely forward-looking and innovative.

I remember that I often drawed the shape of Isla Sorna and thought of the way I will explore the island in the game (Remember: the first drafts of Trespasser included the whole island as one huge map).
    I also thought of different findings that I can use as a weapon.

When the final game came out I recently realized that a lot of the first assumptions had been left out.
    BUT it was an awesome experience.
    The physics were totally new, the animations (inverse-kinematics) of the animals unseen, the massive outdoor environments breathtaking and the atmosphere (music, john hammond's memoires...) of being stranded on Isla Sorna was simply there.
    As i often tried to make Trespasser more that game it initially wanted to be, I played around hours with the TresED. I tried to make real dense forests, lush foilage, long "elephant" grass....

Being a real fan of the Driver game series, Trespasser is probably my secretly most beloved game which unfortunately never got a sequel.

Trespasser 2 would be a long dream (which began more than 12 years ago) that comes true.
  • edited September 2011
    Trespasser was a great game and Trespasser 2 would be great i think they should make it a bit like Dead Island that game is massive and so much to see and do on it
  • edited September 2011
    Hey guys, im just letting you know that I'm loving hearing your opinion on a second Trespasser and what you would want. All I have to say it keep em coming!!!
  • edited September 2011
    My wishes for a Trespasser 2 would be:

- set either on Isla Sorna or Isla Nublar although I'd like to see Nublar more
    - I'd appreciate a storyline where I have scientific equipment at the beginning (mobile lab, cars...) and the goal is doing specific research. The equipment gives me the feeling of being save and let me be in control over nature. Then something goes wrong where I suddenly loose most or all of my equipment (& team members) and the real survivor part of the game begins
    - physics-based gameplay (but not solely based on box stacking)
    - vast landscape to explore
    - fighting for suvival with everyday items... or combining things to have some sort of weapon (sticks, stones and ropes...)
    - realistic dinosaur behavior and interaction between the animals
    - dinosaurs portrayed as animals and not as monsters
    - day/night cycle and different weather (fog!, wind, rain...)
    - different ways to solve certain situations
    - realistic amount of dinosaurs (not 100s of raptors....) and if one dies it remains dead... maybe turns into a carcass and attracts compys...
    - dense forests
    - swim and dive
    - climb trees, fences
    - improved interaction with 3D environment - (somehow I liked the arm)
  • edited September 2011
    I think it should be set like Jurassic Park Survival befor it got cancelled were 2 teams are after the DNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKUfEPYvMZc&feature=grec_index
  • edited September 2011
    I'd prefer a 1st-person view.

It's more immersive but also shocking, when suddenly a raptor attacks you from behind ;)

These were the first images and impressions of Trespasser, when I read about it in the mags back in 1996 and early 1997:
    raptors.jpg

shot3big.jpg

tn_E3SS07.jpg

image001.jpg

screen15gc.jpg

I was blown away by these :)
  • edited September 2011
    tope1983 wrote: »
    My wishes for a Trespasser 2 would be:

- set either on Isla Sorna or Isla Nublar although I'd like to see Nublar more
    - I'd appreciate a storyline where I have scientific equipment at the beginning (mobile lab, cars...) and the goal is doing specific research. The equipment gives me the feeling of being save and let me be in control over nature. Then something goes wrong where I suddenly loose most or all of my equipment (& team members) and the real survivor part of the game begins
    - physics-based gameplay (but not solely based on box stacking)
    - vast landscape to explore
    - fighting for suvival with everyday items... or combining things to have some sort of weapon (sticks, stones and ropes...)
    - realistic dinosaur behavior and interaction between the animals
    - dinosaurs portrayed as animals and not as monsters
    - day/night cycle and different weather (fog!, wind, rain...)
    - different ways to solve certain situations
    - realistic amount of dinosaurs (not 100s of raptors....) and if one dies it remains dead... maybe turns into a carcass and attracts compys...
    - dense forests
    - swim and dive
    - climb trees, fences
    - improved interaction with 3D environment - (somehow I liked the arm)

I love all of the responses, and they are very helpful on knowing what is needed, but this is EXACTLY what i was asking for from you guys... for you guys to list what you want to see. Thank you Tope!
  • edited September 2011
    someone did actually port the demo-level of trespasser into the doom3-engine:

tres012cj.th.jpg

tres087dw.th.jpg

tres102nw.th.jpg

more screens here

I don't know... the people ad trescom did fantastic jobs by modding trespasser and released finally two levels (including new 3Dmodels, music, sounds and dinosaurs!)

would be so nice if the trescom-community can move to another engine to do a trespasser 2!

btw: currently there are two FPS-like mods in production which deal with the topic Jurassic Park:
    - Return to Jurassic Park (Crysis-Mod)
    - Jurassic Life (Half Life²-Mod)
  • edited September 2011
    What I would like to see is probably a THIRD person game. Like Just Cause 2 (everytime I play it I imagine how well it would fit JP).

-Open World, on Isla Nublar

-You would have a retractable parachute and grappling hook like Just Cause 2 (to jump from falls and mountains)

-You would be able to do more things than in first person (like climbing walls, or evade dinosaur attacks with spectacular move)

-You would have a mini map with points of interest, like weapon cache and food stashes.

-The whole game would be about survival, while getting an eventual goal of getting rescued.

-You would have gameplay choices to make, like eg: Do I go out at night on the beach to make a fire and try to get rescued (but most predators hunt at night) or do I play it more safely and try to get to that radio tower during the day?

-You would have a kind of "rescue point system"... Every time you complete a "mission", you would get rescue points that lead to be rescued at the end of the game.

-There would be driveable vehicules, some of wich you would have to repair (ie: to get accross a river) to progress the game by finding parts in old abandonned buildings or other wrecked vehicules.

-The killing dinosaur mechanics would be more used as a last resort, and there would be lethal and none lethal attacks, (like tranquilizing darts).

-You would have to use the environment to your advantage. Like trying to lure the T-Rex to a field of heavy raptors population to cause chaos and be able to go trough the field. Or again, climbing on top of a high tree to and using your parachute to get accross that same field.

-You would have to eat, drink and sleep. Find a safe spot (let's say the bunker of the visitor center), use it every time you need to sleep, and when you move to another area of the map, scout for another spot.

-You would have very low health, since the game would not be focused on action. When you are injured, you would need to heal yourself.

-Weather effect

-Sub quest that would include finding rare species (you would have a team of scientists staying at a safe spot and asking you subquests)

Ok, I admit it doesn't really look like Tresspasser, that would be a good game to bring JP to a new era and appeal to a lot of player... Making the project more possible.
  • edited September 2011

tres012cj.th.jpg

tres087dw.th.jpg

tres102nw.th.jpg

more screens here

I don't know... the people ad trescom did fantastic jobs by modding trespasser and released finally two levels (including new 3Dmodels, music, sounds and dinosaurs!)

would be so nice if the trescom-community can move to another engine to do a trespasser 2!

btw: currently there are two FPS-like mods in production which deal with the topic Jurassic Park:

Wow, you just keep finding more stuff! Great find that is hella cool. I can't wait till they decide to release that level because I want to see Trespasser in a new kind of engine so I could see just how fun it could be remade. Please find more!!!! :D
    Violins77 wrote: »
    What I would like to see is probably a THIRD person game. Like Just Cause 2 (everytime I play it I imagine how well it would fit JP).

-Open World, on Isla Nublar

-You would have a retractable parachute and grappling hook like Just Cause 2 (to jump from falls and mountains)

-You would be able to do more things than in first person (like climbing walls, or evade dinosaur attacks with spectacular move)

-You would have a mini map with points of interest, like weapon cache and food stashes.

-The whole game would be about survival, while getting an eventual goal of getting rescued.

-You would have gameplay choices to make, like eg: Do I go out at night on the beach to make a fire and try to get rescued (but most predators hunt at night) or do I play it more safely and try to get to that radio tower during the day?

-You would have a kind of "rescue point system"... Every time you complete a "mission", you would get rescue points that lead to be rescued at the end of the game.

-There would be driveable vehicules, some of wich you would have to repair (ie: to get accross a river) to progress the game by finding parts in old abandonned buildings or other wrecked vehicules.

-The killing dinosaur mechanics would be more used as a last resort, and there would be lethal and none lethal attacks, (like tranquilizing darts).

-You would have to use the environment to your advantage. Like trying to lure the T-Rex to a field of heavy raptors population to cause chaos and be able to go trough the field. Or again, climbing on top of a high tree to and using your parachute to get accross that same field.

-You would have to eat, drink and sleep. Find a safe spot (let's say the bunker of the visitor center), use it every time you need to sleep, and when you move to another area of the map, scout for another spot.

-You would have very low health, since the game would not be focused on action. When you are injured, you would need to heal yourself.

-Weather effect

-Sub quest that would include finding rare species (you would have a team of scientists staying at a safe spot and asking you subquests)

Ok, I admit it doesn't really look like Tresspasser, that would be a good game to bring JP to a new era and appeal to a lot of player... Making the project more possible.

No it doesnt look like a Trespasser, but a lot of those things could make it into Trespasser. The parachute is a great idea, maybe she comes accross an old parasail like in JP/// and she uses it to get down from cliffs, but the grappling hook, idk about because then that gets rid of the purpose of the climbing puzzles. I always wondered what it would be likein third person,but thenn again i wouldnt like it cuz dinos couldnt sneak up behind you without you noticing. Also, a minimap would be good (altho it would defeat the purpose of having no HUD like in teh original Tres). Also, i like the idea of having a food stash to live off of. What you said about gameplay choices is perfect though!!!! That is the purpose of Trespasser is non-linear gameplay with choices. Points dont feel like Trespasser but vehichles are a must if they remake it because that would be awesome!!!! Sorta like in the first trespasser, most of the cars are destroyed, but then it would be cool if you could find some leftover, working cars in the garage of Wu's house or somethin. What you said about killing dinosaurs is good, thats what the Trespasser Team originally wanted too! Using the environment for your own progress, and the food + drink +rest is great for Trespasser... all of these ideas are great and I think that you are right, these would make a second Trespasser way more possible. Thanks again! Please keep your great ideas coming like Violin here because its great to hear your ideas bc theyre really making me think of what else the team could have done!

Violin, if you think of any more ideas please post! You've got me thinking way further than just the Trespasser universe!!! xD
  • edited November 2011
    they should make a reboot on jurassic park trespasser so it has nowadays graphics instead of 1997's graphics:)
  • edited November 2011
    YAWN at another unrealistic and really old suggestion
  • edited November 2011
    They would have to fx more then just the graphics in order for that game to get off its feet and sell,it had a lot of problems and issues due to the lack of time they had to work on the game
  • edited November 2011
    I think this game would be amazing, but it would be better if it was a first person and a third person, since how everyone wanted to know what Anne looked like, and better motion on the dinosaurs, the old cheat codes, and the actual areas from the movie, also new dinosaurs, like spinosaurs would be nice, also a reboot on the village to make it look like its from the movie too, also switch from day to dusk, at dusk the nocturnal creatures like troodon would come out to hunt, since how troodon was mentioned on site b it would be freaking amazing, and remember the helicopter crash, they should also put the dinosaur who crashed on there to, like the pterenadon that was mentioned in the novel, also seeing the old sites from the movie, like the camper area where in the lost world is where the team first notices ingen company, and the t-rex incident with the offspring. Also some areas from the third film, like the pternadon cage and more! who agrees.
  • edited November 2011
    How about being able to play as a dinosaur, and explore the island that way? You could have upgrades: start as a hatchling and then explore the island as you grow up. Make it possible to pick a favorite dinosaur and play the entire game that way - and yes, you'll have to avoid (or kill) the unwelcome human visitors...
  • edited November 2011
    I remember Trespasser as an amazing game that I really enjoyed despite the bugs and problems that it had, and a sequel set on Nublar would be amazing.
  • edited November 2011

tres012cj.th.jpg

tres087dw.th.jpg

tres102nw.th.jpg

more screens here

they dont look better, they look like they come out of cabela's big game hunter 2006 graphics, if you havent played the game before, but my idea on battlefield 3 graphics would be amazng
  • edited July 2012
    I always imagined that if another dino game came out like trespassers 2 or Dino crisis or even a new turok that the path wouldn't be set, more like what Bethesda software is like. Something with an outdoor environment like Skyrim, or Fallout. Just a huge map where you can travel from one corner of the map to the other and all sorts of challenges and obstacles are always there. And maybe even a few side quests. I think if they did come out with another game that it shouldn't just be about being rescued, that what they are all about in the end. Ive played Dino Crisis and Trespassers both some of my favorite games. Trespassers was the first game Ive played that the environment was huge, thats what i liked about it.
    If in the future they did come out with a remake/sequel of Trespassers... I would be all over that, and I hope that it does happen. We could use an old fashion dino game thats been remade.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.