i need help curse of monkey island wont install

OK so a couple of nights ago i ordered the Monkey Island Bounty pack from ebay when it came today i tried to install this message came up.

The Curse of Monkey Island setup program could not run from the launcher. You may try running SETUP.EXE directly from the INSTALL folder on The Curse of Monkey Island CD-ROM disk #1

I really want to try this out being that Curse is the only Monkey Island i have not played yet.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Thanks but is there anyway to get it to run without any downloads or is this the only way?
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah, you'll need ScummVM if you're going to run it on any modern OS.
  • edited September 2011
    is it free? and does it bring virus?
  • edited September 2011
    Yes, ScummVM is completely free, and no, of course there are no viruses included.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited September 2011
    I bought the Bounty Pack almost 10 years ago and it doesn't cooperate too well with newer systems.

There are two solutions (only one of which I've ever tried).

1) It runs great in ScummVM.
    Just install ScummVM, copy these files to your hard drive and add the game to ScummVM.

2) You can also use Quick and Easy Software's Curse of Monkey Island Setup Wizard. They also have an alternate launcher for the game.
    However, even they suggest that there might still be bugs and quirks and suggest that you use ScummVM instead.

Other advantages of ScummVM is that you it lets you play your game on different systems (I have tried it successfully on Mac and Wii, but they also have ScummVM for Linux, PS2, PSP, Dreamcast, iPhone,...) and they also offer a few freeware old school adventure games (Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, Lure of the Temptress, Drascula).

As I was typing and linking, I noticed that Alex IDV has been helping you and concur with him that ScummVM is a great way to play Curse of Monkey Island.
  • edited September 2011
    thanks guys for the help ill try scumvm later also could u guys tell me some things that are fun about curse?
    edited September 2011
    I'll give you a few generic answers, as I don't want to spoil the game for you and I'm not sure what other Monkey Island games you've played before.
    There's a big piratey world to explore, tons of terrific characters (some recurring -
    STAN!
    - , some new -
    MURRAY!
    ), lots of great humor (terrific lines, hilarious situations), great music and voice acting, the best graphics of any Monkey Island game, excellent puzzles (that sometimes stretch logic a bit, but not too much),...
    It is tied with LeChuck's Revenge (even though I haven't played the Special Edition yet) as my favorite Monkey Island game.
    One final thing: like I said, I'm not sure which Monkey Island games you've played before, but I strongly suggest that you start with The Secret of Monkey Island (it shouldn't be a problem for you, since you own the Bounty Pack and all the games run in ScummVM) and play them in order. It's not necessary in order to enjoy Curse of Monkey Island, but it definitely (IMHO) adds to the fun.
    Enjoy!
  • edited September 2011
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    I'll give you a few generic answers, as I don't want to spoil the game for you and I'm not sure what other Monkey Island games you've played before.
    There's a big piratey world to explore, tons of terrific characters (some recurring -
    STAN!
    - , some new -
    MURRAY!
    ), lots of great humor (terrific lines, hilarious situations), great music and voice acting, the best graphics of any Monkey Island game, excellent puzzles (that sometimes stretch logic a bit, but not too much),...
    It is tied with LeChuck's Revenge (even though I haven't played the Special Edition yet) as my favorite Monkey Island game.
    One final thing: like I said, I'm not sure which Monkey Island games you've played before, but I strongly suggest that you start with The Secret of Monkey Island (it shouldn't be a problem for you, since you own the Bounty Pack and all the games run in ScummVM) and play them in order. It's not necessary in order to enjoy Curse of Monkey Island, but it definitely (IMHO) adds to the fun.
    Enjoy!

This is the only MI game i have not played yet and i know Murray and Stan are in it but thanks also i hear theres some insult sword fighting too :D
    edited September 2011
    this is the only mi game i have not played yet and i know murry and stan r in it but thanks also i hear theres some insult sword fighting too

There is indeed some insult sword fighting (with a little twist).
    If you have played and enjoyed the other games, you will love this one.
    Since you already played the other games, here's my final advice:
    stop posting and start playing! :D
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah Curse is GREAT!... Scummvm is essential and the best argument why Lucasarts needs to release the game to be played on modern PC not EVERYONE knows how to get it running.
  • edited September 2011
    thanks for ur help guys i got scumvm downloaded now but can someone help me add the bounty pack disc with monkey island 1 and 2 to scumvm
    edited September 2011
    thanks for ur help guys i got scumvm downloaded now but can someone help me add the bounty pack disc with monkey island 1 and 2 to scumvm

1) Create a folder on your hard drive for each game.
    2) In said folders, put the files listed on this page (see here under PC VGA CD for The Secret of Monkey Island and here under Macintosh or PC for LeChuck's Revenge). You can find them on the disc in folders named Monkey1 and Monkey2 respectively.
    3) Add the games to ScummVM by following these instructions.
    4) Play and enjoy the games!
  • edited September 2011
    thanks and to everyone who helped me to say thank you. heres a little dance :guybrush: :winslow:

also if i have any questions or need help ill ask ok
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the dance!
    And don't hesitate to keep the questions coming, I'll do anything to help a fellow Monkey Island fan (like others did for me back in the day when I needed similar help)! ;)
  • edited September 2011
    thanks and for being so nice heres some more danceing XD :guybrush: :guybrush: :guybrush: :guybrush: :guybrush: :guybrush: :winslow: :winslow: :winslow: :winslow: :winslow: :winslow: :guybrush: :winslow:
  • edited September 2011
    just finished demise of the ghost pirate lechuck and im having loads of fun! im gonna get my sam and max hit the road on scumvm and try the advice for mi 1 and 2 also if anyone could help me with sam and max please help
    edited September 2011
    To install Sam & Max in ScummVM, do the same thing as for Monkey Island and place these files in the game folder.
  • edited September 2011
    thanks :guybrush: im on part 2 of curse called the curse gets worst im trying to find the answer to the bottemless mug
  • edited September 2011
    im now on 3 sheets to the wind!
  • edited September 2011
    im now on 3 sheets to the wind!

You should always play adventure games sober.
  • edited September 2011
    Hi, I 've been trying to play Tales of monkey island on Fedora 15 with ScummVM, but it doesn't work, could anyone help me please??
  • edited September 2011
    Deria wrote: »
    Hi, I 've been trying to play Tales of monkey island on Fedora 15 with ScummVM, but it doesn't work, could anyone help me please??

ScummVM doesn't support Tales of Monkey Island. Only the first 3 that used the Scumm engine.
  • edited September 2011
    Thank's, I imagined something like that... I've also tried on wine... the game installs succesfully but when I want to play, the screen gets all black and crashes any idea how to fix it?
  • edited September 2011
    Deria wrote: »
    Thank's, I imagined something like that... I've also tried on wine... the game installs succesfully but when I want to play, the screen gets all black and crashes any idea how to fix it?

You should go to the Tec support part of the forum. The TTG staff can help.
  • edited September 2011
    I will, thank's a lot.
  • edited September 2011
    im on part 4 and i dnt remember the long name
  • edited September 2011

One of the best chapters in MI.
  • edited September 2011

It's called, "The Bartender, the Thieves, His Aunt, and Her Lover".
  • edited September 2011
    part 4 complete im on part 5 kiss of the spider monkey i think ill call it a night now
  • edited September 2011
    part six guybrush kicks butt once again now but im tired so ill finish it tomorrow
  • edited September 2011
    curse of monkey island COMPLETE! it was awesome! now maybe later ill try mega monkey mode
  • edited September 2011
    guys i really need help how do i get the sound on monkey island 1 on scummvm
  • edited September 2011
    i tryed pressing f5 to save my game but nothing happens wat do i do?
  • edited September 2011
    Press all the keys, one by one, and see what happens? o.O
    edited September 2011
    I'm not sure how to get to the save/load menu on PC (on Mac, I press fn-control-F5 to get to the save/load menu, so maybe control-F5?), but to save, you can just press ALT-1/9 to save, CTRL - 1/9 to restore, as per these instructions.
    You're still using ScummVM, right?
  • edited September 2011
    Press all the keys, one by one, and see what happens? o.O

im playing it on a compaq laptop can u please help me
  • edited September 2011
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to get to the save/load menu on PC (on Mac, I press fn-control-F5 to get to the save/load menu, so maybe control-F5?), but to save, you can just press ALT-1/9 to save, CTRL - 1/9 to restore, as per these instructions.
    You're still using ScummVM, right?

course i am
  • edited September 2011
    ScummVM lets me save by pressing F1 to get the full menu, but I'm on Linux, so who knows if that will work for you.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.