Guybrush Threepwood's coat

Let's say I was considering being Guybrush for halloween, and thinking of something along the lines of his MI2 costume.

5qgk

And let's assume for the moment that I'm, to be generous, not capable of sewing a whole coat from scratch. What would your suggestions be for finding or acquiring a reasonably similar coat? I'm thinking of just checking out the thrift stores to see if I can find, like, a trench coat in the right color

Comments

• edited September 2011
    When I need a costume, I just go to the Second Hand store and grab something as similar to what I need as possible.
    I go home, wash it (just to be sure), and start modifying it.

You could grab a blue trenchcoat (not sure if you'll find one, but you never know) and just apply the cuffs and the red/brown outline and golden buttons. Shouldn't be too hard. :)
  • edited September 2011
    Also, being a man and all, you don't need to sew anything... that's what staples and gaffer tape are for... the thread and needle of the men's world :D

(Note: This doesn't apply to Rambo.)

(Note 2: Or maybe it does.)
  • edited September 2011
    Hey, I sew stuff!

...manly...stuff...

...like, if you sew the Monkey Island 2 DVD with Monkey Island 4 DVD together, you get Monkey Island 6 o.O
  • edited September 2011
    hey, i sew stuff!

...manly...stuff...

...like, if you sew the monkey island 2 dvd with monkey island 4 dvd together, you get monkey island 6 o.o

that makes perfect sence! :D
  • edited September 2011
    Sporting goods stores sometimes have specially-colored clothing you can adapt, though you might have to work on it. (You don't want your blue pirate coat to have a big number "96" on the back, after all.)

For shirts and belts with big buckles, the second-hand store is your best bet. You can dye things different colors that you get from there, too, if they're light enough.

EDIT: I neglected to mention, if you have a large budget, you can get fairly good period gear at renaissance festivals, or online (search for Renaissance Clothing, then under the pirate sub-category). Expect to either pay a lot, or pretend you're negotiating with Stan.
  • edited September 2011
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Sporting goods stores sometimes have specially-colored clothing you can adapt, though you might have to work on it. (You don't want your blue pirate coat to have a big number "96" on the back, after all.)

For shirts and belts with big buckles, the second-hand store is your best bet. You can dye things different colors that you get from there, too, if they're light enough.

EDIT: I neglected to mention, if you have a large budget, you can get fairly good period gear at renaissance festivals, or online (search for Renaissance Clothing, then under the pirate sub-category). Expect to either pay a lot, or pretend you're negotiating with Stan.

I dunno about the number on the back. I mean, yeah you don't want 96 on it, but if it's 69 you might want to keep it just for laughs :P
  • edited September 2011
    btw i think u chose the best guybrush design from the games i like his monkey island 2 and tales of monkey island design the best
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah. I'm gonna go check the thrift store for a blue coat when I get the chance. If I don't find one, though, I'll probably try to go as the CoMI Guybrush instead, since the elements of that costume are all comparatively straightforward.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.