Why I think alternate endings for a bttf game is bad

Hi guys and gals I have noticed a few people want alternate endings in season 2 but I think this is very bad because there would be no set story and after all the reason there is a back to the future game is to continue where the films finished.

Even the alternate name's thing is slightly risky because there is no set name in the story but I dont mind that as much and I suppose it add's a few more things to do.

On a second note if anyone is wondering when telltale will announce a season 2 then wait untill e3 2012. I doubt they will say anything before then.

Comments

• correct me if I'm wrong but we didnt know about the first game until summer 2010 and yet by December we had our first episode. And next time around should be easier.

It really depends on what approach they take. Will they plan it as the final season from the getgo or will it leave the door open for a third season?

I could see different endings working if it were a finale but otherwise it wouldn't make sense in a third game (as we'd all have to start in the same spot)

I'm thinking the name thing is a moot point by now. They wont go back to the 1930's. Since Marty is a teenager, even if they went to a time period that many of those 1931 characters were still alive (1940's or 60's) he'd likely take on a different alias as nobody would assume a teenager in 1931 to look the same 10-30 years later.

I'm wondering if they will do the name thing though if they end up in the future; Marty never tells anyone in 1955 that his name is Calvin Klein (he tells George it's Marty). In 1885 he tells people it's clint eastwood because he's essentially pretending he is in a western. In 1931 he picks appropriate names for that era.
  • edited November 2011
    Things could get ugly pretty easily when time travel is at hand so it would cause more work. Also I don't think BTTF is a game where people should be getting different endings. I think the main story should be about the same but they could place bonuses around. Like you tell someone in the past that his hat looks funny and then when you travel forward, he or his children end up hating hats. Some little details for players to spot and share like in the movie, Marty driving over a tree and mall becoming lonepine which is not relevant to the main story.
  • edited November 2011
    Well, in Telltale games an alternative ending means making an A or B choice right near the end of the final episode which decides which one of two endings the player gets, as seen in Jurassic Park and The Devil's Playhouse. If anyone is hoping that various decisions made over the course of several episodes to lead to one of several different outcomes they're more or less setting themselves up for disappointment.
  • edited November 2011
    correct me if I'm wrong but we didnt know about the first game until summer 2010 and yet by December we had our first episode. And next time around should be easier.

It really depends on what approach they take. Will they plan it as the final season from the getgo or will it leave the door open for a third season?

I could see different endings working if it were a finale but otherwise it wouldn't make sense in a third game (as we'd all have to start in the same spot)

I'm thinking the name thing is a moot point by now. They wont go back to the 1930's. Since Marty is a teenager, even if they went to a time period that many of those 1931 characters were still alive (1940's or 60's) he'd likely take on a different alias as nobody would assume a teenager in 1931 to look the same 10-30 years later.

I'm wondering if they will do the name thing though if they end up in the future; Marty never tells anyone in 1955 that his name is Calvin Klein (he tells George it's Marty). In 1885 he tells people it's clint eastwood because he's essentially pretending he is in a western. In 1931 he picks appropriate names for that era.

Not really Mass Effect 2 was able to read saved data, Find the choices you picked in the original game and create a plot line that reflects the decisions you made in ME1.
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    Hi guys and gals I have noticed a few people want alternate endings in season 2 but I think this is very bad because there would be no set story and after all the reason there is a back to the future game is to continue where the films finished.

Even the alternate name's thing is slightly risky because there is no set name in the story but I dont mind that as much and I suppose it add's a few more things to do.

On a second note if anyone is wondering when telltale will announce a season 2 then wait untill e3 2012. I doubt they will say anything before then.

I doubt 2012 since the game should be released in 2015. That is if they are focusing on the future. That will give them enough time to make a quality product.

As for your thoughts on alternate endings, I disagree. Season 1 looks really liner. I way to change that would be to change the coarse of the game and change endings. I love BTTF so much that I could watch all the movies everyday if I could have everyday to myself. The game doesn't seem like it shares that magic feeling.
  • edited November 2011
    Tornreaper wrote: »

I doubt 2012 since the game should be released in 2015. That is if they are focusing on the future. That will give them enough time to make a quality product.

As for your thoughts on alternate endings, I disagree. Season 1 looks really liner. I way to change that would be to change the coarse of the game and change endings. I love BTTF so much that I could watch all the movies everyday if I could have everyday to myself. The game doesn't seem like it shares that magic feeling.

Well we wont be alive in 2015 because the world end's next year :D

Being serious I still think changing ending's is bad because like I said there is no set storyline, think it like you can change the movies if you press 2 on your controller, loads of people would go mad because they have changed the storyline of the film. A game should not be any diffrent and the only bad things about the game was the graphics and the fact there was hardly any action scenes and when they did add some they were not very epic.
    I think season 1 was very good without any alternative ending's, you many disagree but that means that there would be no set storyline which is stupid because whats the point of a bttf game if it has no set storyline.
  • edited November 2011
    yoman45135 wrote: »
    Well we wont be alive in 2015 because the world end's next year :D

Being serious I still think changing ending's is bad because like I said there is no set storyline, think it like you can change the movies if you press 2 on your controller, loads of people would go mad because they have changed the storyline of the film. A game should not be any diffrent and the only bad things about the game was the graphics and the fact there was hardly any action scenes and when they did add some they were not very epic.
    I think season 1 was very good without any alternative ending's, you many disagree but that means that there would be no set storyline which is stupid because whats the point of a bttf game if it has no set storyline.

What's the point of replaying the game if you already no the story? Sure maybe fun gameplay would do the trick (Didn't happen with season 1) but sometimes that's not enough. That's why I don't watch many movies a second time. It's the same shit every time I watch it again. Same thing goes for game that don't have any story branching. All season 1 did was give separate dialog. That's not enough to make a game interesting for multiple playthroughs and the fact that sometimes it gives you choices but then it picks one itself makes the game even more liner.
  • edited November 2011
    What's the point of replaying the game if you already no the story?

True but to be honest I never play games again which have story branchings either. It just consumes too much time like that. Adventure games are mostly one time play. This means players like me won't get to see every area/possibility they made.

But I dunno, they could maybe do branches but I think they should merge into a single type of ending, then everyone will remember the same ending. Or perhaps the branches could be handled in a way that every player will see them somehow but their order won't matter.

Or as I said there could be little details as bonuses in a linear story so people could play again to accomplish them.
  • edited November 2011
    I guess I'm weird because I replay games for the story. Though sometimes I replay them just because they're fun.
  • I guess I'm weird because I replay games for the story. Though sometimes I replay them just because they're fun.

I played through each episode twice (replayed all the episodes after playing the game). You get a different perspective when knowing what will happen (good foreshadowing in epsiode 1) and you can do some different things than the first go round. I also watched each on youtube.
  • edited April 2012
    I loved the first season of bttf the way it was created but after seeing how telltale created choice options for the walking dead game, i would love to see it in bttf season 2. I know it would be tricky but i have alot of faith they can do it.
  • edited May 2012
    I loved the first season of bttf the way it was created but after seeing how telltale created choice options for the walking dead game, i would love to see it in bttf season 2. I know it would be tricky but i have alot of faith they can do it.

Yes, this would be very nice. Season 2 has to offer something new and this would be very nice. It's like when Edna interviews Marty and you are able to choose a name (e.g. Michael Corleone). The name stays for the complete season. Next level would be same impacts as seen in The Walking Dead.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.