Fables Celebrity Casting Call!

ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
edited May 2013 in The Wolf Among Us
All right, Fables fanatics. Without saying which Fable characters will actually appear in our frabjuous interactive adaptation, whose voices do YOU hear when you read a Fables comic?

Does Bigby sound like Paul Reubens?
Does Snow sound like Fran Drescher?
Does Cinderella sound like James Earl Jones?

Probably not. But seriously, who would you cast in the Fables movie?

Mike "Making Fans Do All the Hard Work" Stemmle

Comments

• edited December 2011
    If Cinderella is not voiced by James Earl Jones I will buy the game and then demand a refund.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't read a lot of the comics yet, but I can hear Daniel Craig in Cowboys & Aliens (where he uses a more American-sounding accent) as Bigby. Some sort of low mumble, almost a growl, but also capable of expressing a bit more emotion.

I tried to find a good clip, but the closest I could find was this trailer. He talks a bit at the beginning of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az3z1Ih6VSI&feature=fvwrel
  • edited December 2011
    Okay... this is far from a celebrity, but have you played Gemini Rue? I imagine Bigsby sounding (hell, he even looks a big like) the scratchy voiced fellow in this trailer, Azriel is his name.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZp9ToBewA

I love the actor's work in this game, and I could see him making a great Bigsby if you're casting.
  • edited December 2011
    BTW... Bigby should be voiced by Michael Wincott.... He has done voice work too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_NS0vAYGVk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH9hjyoAugw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBCE3FCE6362492C1

also... Bring back Nicki Rapp in a TTG game...
  • edited December 2011
    This question doesn't seem like it's entirely hypothetical. Hoping to get a big name for this game? ;)

Sadly, though, I haven't read any of the Fables comics yet (want to, though!). I'll give an answer whenever I can.
  • edited December 2011
    Nah, I think Cinderella needs to either be played by Morgan Freeman or Zach Galifinakis.

On a more serious note though, I always saw Jack as either Michael J Fox or Matthew Broderick.
  • edited December 2011
    lovetodo22 wrote: »
    Nah, I think Cinderella needs to either be played by Morgan Freeman or Zach Galifinakis.

On a more serious note though, I always saw Jack as either Michael J Fox or Matthew Broderick.

Funny you mention that because I bet AJ LoCascio could do the character justice... Obviously not the same voice he used for Marty.. but something original.
  • edited December 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Funny you mention that because I bet AJ LoCascio could do the character justice... Obviously not the same voice he used for Marty.. but something original.

I don't know what characters they will be using from the comics, but if they have Bluebeard in the game, it's gotta be Samuel L. Jackson.

Also, what do you think about Bill Farmer voicing Bigby?
  • edited December 2011
    lovetodo22 wrote: »
    I don't know what characters they will be using from the comics, but if they have Bluebeard in the game, it's gotta be Samuel L. Jackson.

Also, what do you think about Bill Farmer voicing Bigby?

Bill Farmer can't be in a Telltale game. Lattsam would lose it. :p
  • edited December 2011
    Bill Farmer can't be in a Telltale game. Lattsam would lose it. :p

Think about it though, his voice sounds kind of film noir, which would be perfect for the part.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2011
    This question doesn't seem like it's entirely hypothetical. Hoping to get a big name for this game? ;)

While big names WOULD be an unexpected surprise, just THINKING about them tends to help steer our voice direction. We can tell Julian things like "Less Streep and more Mirren."

Not that there's necessarily anything Streepy or Mirreny going on in our game, of course.

About Jack (again, not that he's actually IN the game), I'm not sure about Fox or Broderick... neither strikes me as hitting the supremely-overconfident-douchenozzle vibe that Our Man Horner does.

Y'know who almost does (and may God forgive me for saying his name out loud)? Jack Black. Shudder.

Mike "I'm going to hell now, aren't I?" Stemmle
  • edited January 2012
    Gepetto should be voiced by tony danza :P
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2012
    GRIM FANDANGO's Manny Calavera got the German "dubbing" voice of Tony Danza (Tommi Piper)...

...it was fantastic. FANTASTIC. :D
  • edited January 2012
    About Jack (again, not that he's actually IN the game), I'm not sure about Fox or Broderick... neither strikes me as hitting the supremely-overconfident-douchenozzle vibe that Our Man Horner does.

Y'know who almost does (and may God forgive me for saying his name out loud)? Jack Black. Shudder.

Mike "I'm going to hell now, aren't I?" Stemmle

I don't see what's wrong with Jack Black. He can be a legitimately funny guy if he's given the right part. Which mostly seems to be obnoxious fat people, but still. As far as celebrities go, though, I don't know who I'd cast in Fables. I guess that's why I'm not a casting director.
  • ttg_Stemmlettg_Stemmle Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2012
    I don't see what's wrong with Jack Black. He can be a legitimately funny guy if he's given the right part. Which mostly seems to be obnoxious fat people, but still. As far as celebrities go, though, I don't know who I'd cast in Fables. I guess that's why I'm not a casting director.

You're right, there's nothing really wrong with Jack Black. He definitely suffered from a wee bit of overexposure there for a couple of years, but you can hardly fault a guy for striking while the iron's hot, y'know?

Mike "All Hail the D" Stemmle

PS Did you know that Steve Purcell went to high school with Kyle G.?
  • edited January 2012
    You're right, there's nothing really wrong with Jack Black. He definitely suffered from a wee bit of overexposure there for a couple of years, but you can hardly fault a guy for striking while the iron's hot, y'know?

Mike "All Hail the D" Stemmle

PS Did you know that Steve Purcell went to high school with Kyle G.?

Jack Black was pretty awesome in Tropic Thunder, where he was basically a parody of himself. Tenacious D is also one of the greatest things ever.
  • edited January 2012
    I can't help but hear Bigby as David "Solid Snake" Hayter.
  • edited February 2012
    After "Watchmen" & the "Nightmare on Elm St" remakes, I pictured Jackie Earle Haley doing a mighty fine Bigby.
  • edited February 2012
    Weeksy wrote: »
    After "Watchmen" & the "Nightmare on Elm St" remakes, I pictured Jackie Earle Haley doing a mighty fine Bigby.

Yes, but after seeing him in Human Target, I can't quite imagine that... then again, he's an actor, so perhaps he could?
  • harringtonvoharringtonvo Verified
    edited February 2012
    who would you cast in the Fables movie?
    I betcha Stephen King would voice a character fo free Mike (either Fables OR Walking Dead). He's most likely a big fan of both comix, and he's been known to make cameos in projects he digs (Sons of Anarchy for example). Wait... that would cost me a shot at another character wouldn't it? Forget I mentioned King. Keep hiring unknowns!
  • edited March 2012
    @HarringtonVO

Speaking of which... I think we can show this to the fans now ^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTp9nV3MmKk

Points for whoever recognizes the awesome actors.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm new here & this immediately caught my eye. I've been thinking about a FABLES casting & so far, this is what I have:

Snow White: Jennifer Connelly

Rose Red: Bryce Dallas Howard

Beauty: Brooklyn Decker

Cinderella: Rachel McAdams

Briar Rose: Elena Satine (from Magic City; she's actually a redhead & looks a whole lot like Briar Rose, as drawn in Fairest)

Bigby Wolf: Hugh Jackman - I was really trying to avoid casting him because it would just seem like stereotyping but he just has the maturity & snarl Bigby displays in the comics. I did consider Javier Bardem / Jeffrey Dean Morgan & for some reason, even Josh Holloway but Jackman still came out tops.

Prince Charming: Armie Hammer

Beast: Chris Hemsworth - he might seem too pretty for the role but in human form, Beast is described as "leading man handsome" (at least in Peter & Max). All he needs is a dye job.

Frau Totenkinder: Maggie Smith?

Jack of Fables: Chris Evans or Ryan Kwanten

That's all I got for now. :)
  • edited February 2013
    It would be the perfect fit....wouldn't you agree internet.
    If not then who do you think should voice bigby and the other characters.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Deidrich Bader would make a good Bigby. His Batman in The Brave and the Bold has the right kind of voice that would work for a hardened detective.
  • edited March 2013
    To be honest, I wish the characters weren't voiced, because I will probably start reading their dialogue in their actors voices, instead of the voices I had given them in my head :(
  • edited March 2013
    Irishmile wrote: »
    BTW... Bigby should be voiced by Michael Wincott.... He has done voice work too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_NS0vAYGVk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH9hjyoAugw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLBCE3FCE6362492C1

also... Bring back Nicki Rapp in a TTG game...

I agree one hundred and ten percent. That's the voice I hear for Bigby when I read the comics.
  • edited April 2013
    It looks like Snow White is going to be voiced by Heather Gordon, who did the motion capture for Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite.

https://twitter.com/HeatherGordonVI/status/321439216888336384
    I am doing the voice of Snow White in Telltale games newest video game called Fables. I'm really excited!
  • edited April 2013
    Looks like she deleted the tweet. Still, nice find!
  • edited April 2013
    Gotta go with Patton Oswalt for Colin definitely, Alan Rickman would make a good Ichabod Crane, Robert Webb as Mr. Toad, Ricky Gervais as Bufkin, Patrick Warburton could be a good Beast, whoever you had voicing Lilly in TWD as Beauty, Ellen McClain as Snow White, and Nathan Fillion as Bigby Wolf.

Am I missing anybody?
  • edited April 2013
    Am I the only one hearing Mickey Rourke as Bigby while reading the comics?
  • edited May 2013
    Bigby Wolf: Hugh Jackman - I was really trying to avoid casting him because it would just seem like stereotyping but he just has the maturity & snarl Bigby displays in the comics. I did consider Javier Bardem / Jeffrey Dean Morgan & for some reason, even Josh Holloway but Jackman still came out tops.

This picture has me thinking Josh Holloway as well
  • edited June 2013
    Soooo, am I the only one who thinks Adam Harrington would be perfect for Bigby?
  • edited June 2013
    Am I the only one hearing Mickey Rourke as Bigby while reading the comics?

Hell no I was just scrolling through to post this when I saw you already had. +1 Mickey Rourke is Bigby.
  • edited June 2013
    I can't help but hear Bigby as David "Solid Snake" Hayter.

THIS. I cannot stress this enough.

His glorious voice:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lieJIxJZs1M

Please God let it be...
  • edited June 2013
    I can totally hear James Franco as Prince Charming.
  • edited July 2013
    I've though Bigby should of had a voice similar to Keith Szarabajka when he played Hershel Biggs, or when he voices the "Burned Man" Joshua Graham.

I wonder if you guys will do the classic "noire" introduction.
  • edited July 2013
    @HarringtonVO

Very nice guys. :) I think I'm really going to enjoy this game. :D
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2013
    @HarringtonVO

Very nice guys. :) I think I'm really going to enjoy this game. :D

Just to be clear, that video/casting is fan-made and not official in any capacity.
  • edited July 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Just to be clear, that video/casting is fan-made and not official in any capacity.

Ah understood. I just think that Bigby should really have a "film noir" voice. He should really have a voice that grabs the audience by their collective lapel and pulls them in. I'd like to hear the voice actor of Bigby talk and automatically think of Bogart talking with smoke running out of his mouth with every syllable. And since Bigby you know can't die from smoking nor can any of the fables around him why the hell not? :p

Gotta Love Bogart.
  • edited July 2013
    I personally think troy Baker would make a great Bigby, he can do a great deep, grizzled voice, as you can see in his work as Joel, Booker and Batman (Even though its LEGO :D), especially Booker DeWitt

Anyone else think Troy baker is the perfect role for this character?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.