Season DVD?

Well, that's the question. I really want to buy this game, but my decision between PC or iOS depends on the DVD.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Good point, and I'm in the same boat, actually. There's been no mention of the DVD release, and usually there is once it gets the PC/Mac release...
  • edited January 2012
    I miss the times when we got answers...

It's not bad to say no. Or maybe "we're thinking about it". At least not as bad as say nothig.
  • edited January 2012
    I purposely haven't purchased past episode 2 in case they answer.

If there's a DVD, I buy the PC/Mac. If there isn't, I buy the iOS release. In the meantime, I don't buy either.

I'm filling in the blanks because we're not getting answers, but I believe they don't know. They haven't finished making all seven episodes yet, so maybe they're not sure if they'll be contained on one DVD (and therefore cost effective?). Who knows...
  • edited January 2012
    While this may be something that changes in the future, as of right now, there are no plans to release a DVD at the end of the season.
  • edited February 2012
    Thanks, Michael!
  • edited February 2012
    Is this a "new normal" for Telltale games? JP only had a bonus disk included with the Deluxe Edition (despite promises to the contrary) and now L&O has none at all.

I'd hate to think this lack of a physical disc was going to become a trend in Telltale titles; call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I still like having physical copies of my games, espiecally in case you guys ever close your doors.
  • edited February 2012
    ATMachine wrote: »
    Is this a "new normal" for Telltale games? JP only had a bonus disk included with the Deluxe Edition (despite promises to the contrary) and now L&O has none at all.

I'd hate to think this lack of a physical disc was going to become a trend in Telltale titles; call me an old fuddy-duddy, but I still like having physical copies of my games, espiecally in case you guys ever close your doors.

This isn't the first Telltale game not to get a bonus disk. "Telltale Texas Hold-em," "Puzzle Agent," "Poker Night at the Inventory," and "Hector" are all available only as downloads.
  • edited February 2012
    This isn't the first Telltale game not to get a bonus disk. "Telltale Texas Hold-em," "Puzzle Agent," "Poker Night at the Inventory," and "Hector" are all available only as downloads.
    None of the first three games you mention were envisioned as multi-part episodic seasons--Telltale's specialty--and Hector is of course a more recent series, contemporary with JP. And to be honest, Texas Hold-em and Poker Night were little more than fluff.

I'm currently afraid that Telltale has now decided, more or less, to abandon physical DVD sales altogether, including for its more "meaty" episodic releases. I don't really care about whether they sell DVDs of glorified poker games. But if they ever make another passable adventure-game season (a prospect frankly looking less and less likely) then I want to continue being able to play it after they go out of business.
  • edited February 2012
    No DVD? I guess I'm not buying it then....
  • edited February 2012
    ATMachine wrote: »
    None of the first three games you mention were envisioned as multi-part episodic seasons--Telltale's specialty--and Hector is of course a more recent series, contemporary with JP. And to be honest, Texas Hold-em and Poker Night were little more than fluff.

I'm currently afraid that Telltale has now decided, more or less, to abandon physical DVD sales altogether, including for its more "meaty" episodic releases. I don't really care about whether they sell DVDs of glorified poker games. But if they ever make another passable adventure-game season (a prospect frankly looking less and less likely) then I want to continue being able to play it after they go out of business.

There's no question that Telltale's changed quite a bit from the days when they had just done Bone and were only really doing Sam & Max and one other episodic series along with the occasional CSI game for Ubisoft.

That said, as I'd mentioned in the other thread, I'm not surprised they don't plan on a "collector's" disc for L&O legacies.

For one, it's a game they're creating under contract/license with NBC and a distinctly "budget"/iOS title at that, that just so happens to have been ported to PC because it's apparently relatively trivial to do so with their underlying "Telltale tool".

Under the circumstances, I don't know that there's much "bonus" material they could really assemble for a disc assuming they're even contractually permitted to do so.

The Jurrasic Park thing is somewhat more worrying since, as you say, it's the first time Telltale's produced a bonus disc that's limited to a "deluxe" edition rather than being included with all season purchases.

We'll have to wait and see what happens with the Walking Dead/Fables games as since it's a similar arrangement to the one they had with Steve Purcell, I would see no reason why they wouldn't have the bonus materials, so...How that's handled should be a decent indicator of whether growth's changed their thinking on providing incentives.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    What? A fourth Sam & Max Season without a DVD release and the signature "4" badge on its rim? Oh, I'd have to kill them dead! ;)

No, seriously, it's a bit early to gather around the grave of the Season DVD. I see the Walking Dead as a strong indicator of where we're going with the DVD copies.
  • edited February 2012
    I think the problem with JP was that after the delay they give a lot (I suppose) of free game codes, so I imagine that many people (as myself) bought the game for... nothing. That's not so much when it's just digital content but a bunch of free DVDs is a different thing, so they decided to give it only with the Deluxe Edition (which I totally bought, it seemed fair to me).

So... I'm with Vainamoinen, I'll see what happen with The Walking Dead.
  • edited February 2012
    What? A fourth Sam & Max Season without a DVD release and the signature "4" badge on its rim? Oh, I'd have to kill them dead! ;)

No, seriously, it's a bit early to gather around the grave of the Season DVD. I see the Walking Dead as a strong indicator of where we're going with the DVD copies.

Well...

I'm not holding my breath on a season four anytime soon since it's pretty clear they've put it back on the shelf in favor of these new properties they get to work on, but that's another topic altogether. :D

I do agree, though, that Walking Dead will be something of a litmus test for collector's discs going forward. Just keeping my fingers crossed that the JP deluxe edition didn't do well enough for them to start thinking 'So, about those standard edition discs...'.
  • edited February 2012
    Call me old fashioned if you like, but I love to play complete (as in all Seasons/Episodes in case of episodic titles) games without the hassle of copy protection, stored on a disc. You did this very well with Sam&Max, ToMi and I guess BttF too. Installing them on my Mac is easy as pie, and I don´t have to mess around with activation anymore.

I´ve played the first Law&Order Episode on iOS. I would totally consider myself purchasing a Season DVD of the Mac Version though. But if they are only available for download, I might stick to the iOS Version.

We will see what happens. I do have the time to wait for the Season Finale as I have many of your games in my backlog to play.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.