Your objective assessment of the game

edited May 2012 in Jurassic Park
What is your objective assessment of Jurassic Park: The Game?
I do not agree with the assessment metacritic and I give the 8 of 10

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I gave it a 5, as its average. And no offence but an 8 is silly. To get a rating of 8 a game must be very good in every aspect, you dont even play this you just watch it.
  • edited February 2012
    4. And it only even gets that much because I liked the plot.
  • edited February 2012
    Gave it a 6. As a JP-Fan accepting the concept and the technological shortcomings it would be 8, as a Gamer or simply Non-JP-Fan its only a 5.

Funny how some peoples "objective" assessment is a 10. Thats really just deluded...
  • edited February 2012
    I really hate numbered assessments. it really doesn't tell you anything. It's the words in the review that really give you a detailed view on if the game is good or not. But I guess I'll give it a 7?
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited February 2012
    You're right, numbered assessments don't really cut it. Also, objectivity is an illusion. ;)

Supposedly you'd have the people voting "1" who were really disappointed with the game after building up massive expectations and waiting for so long. I would understand those people. Instead, of the present 3 people voting "1", at least two haven't ever bought or played the game to my knowledge. That's objectivity for you.

At least we can be sure that the people voting 8 or even 10 have actually spent some time with the game, which to form an "objective" opinion is a far less "silly" or "deluded" thing to do than voting something down you have never experienced.
  • edited February 2012
    I loved this game . And I loved it for what it was . I liked those scenes and I believe that was best this way , because this gave you the possibility to be in great scenes . For example , do you remember one of the last scenes where the vet is hunted by T-Rex between , under and above some crates , just before he manages to escape to the boat ? Of course you do ! Well , in such cases it would be TOTALLY impossible to do all that stuff manually ! See ? This gameplay has some disadvantages but also some advantages on the other hand . No to mention that I didn't want to play Rambo in the park ! Jurassic park is a ... well a park ; it cannot be turned into a warzone ! If you play ant first person shooter you'll get to kill much more that the number of the dinosaurs living on JP . Therefore , I believe , this gameplay , combined with the great story , offered a very nice experience !
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited February 2012
    I haven't reviewed this on my site yet, but I too believe it deserves a solid 8.

Saying it isn't a game is silly. It is a game, just not a traditional adventure game. It's a quick time event (like Dragon's Lair or the action scenes in Shenmue) style game with some casual-adventure style exploration in between with some simple dialog puzzles and examination puzzles.

I find it quite fun to play since I enjoy the Dragon's Lair/Space Ace type games. I personally found it to be one of Telltale's better games since I didn't notice any glaring bugs like most of their 2011 games had.

I liked the new characters and I really liked the story. I liked how it connected to the first film, and I personally had always wondered what happened with the corporation who was waiting for the Barbosol can, so it was nice to see that addressed.

Bay Area Sound does an excellent job in the audio department as usual too. That's one area that you can always be sure will be top notch in any of Telltale's games.
  • edited February 2012
    Jennifer wrote: »
    (like Dragon's Lair or the action scenes in Shenmue)

Thats what QTE are for, action scenes like in Shenmue. If the entire game is one massive QTE then it is not a game.

Shenmue has probably the best use of QTE in a game, JP over uses it in a way that makes it seem like it isn't a game.
    edited February 2012
    Lukedfrt wrote: »
    Thats what QTE are for, action scenes like in Shenmue. If the entire game is one massive QTE then it is not a game.

Shenmue has probably the best use of QTE in a game, JP over uses it in a way that makes it seem like it isn't a game.
    You missed the first game I mentioned. Dragon's Lair is 100% QTE. It's a love-it or hate-it style of game play, but it's definitely a game.
  • edited February 2012
    You missed the first game I mentioned. Dragon's Lair is 100% QTE. It's a love-it or hate-it style of game play, but it's definitely a game.

You can barely class it as a game, and even if it is classed as a game JP does a terrible job of it. You dont know when to press a button because the games framerate lags that much. Look at the scores on metacritic, the game is a mess. Oh and lets not forget about the metacritic incident where TTG made a disgrace of themselves for this game.
  • edited February 2012
    I played the game on PC and I didn't notice any frame drops at all . OK , there might been one or two , but it had to do something with the computer itself (some activity took place ; I could notice it by the flashing led) . Maybe it was my fast computer itself , but I don't thing this game has actually any such "hard moments" to deal with :confused: ...
  • edited February 2012
    Objectively, I liked the game a lot. I'm a huge fan of games like heavy rain and indigo prophecy (faherenheit) and I thought the game's style, gameplay, story and puzzles were entertaining and fun.

(Played on Xbox 360)

Rated 9 out of 10 for me.
  • edited February 2012

I just got done playing Space Ace, which is an all QTE game, and it's still better than most games released today.

A game is anything you play as a diversion, sometimes even without a definable goal.
  • edited February 2012
    DAISHI wrote: »
    I just got done playing Space Ace, which is an all QTE game, and it's still better than most games released today.

A game is anything you play as a diversion, sometimes even without a definable goal.

In this day and age with the technology we have a QTE game cant be classed as a proper game.

We've moved on, look at games like Sonic. Great at one point but we have now moved on due too technology.
    edited February 2012
    In this day and age with the technology we have a QTE game cant be classed as a proper game.

We've moved on, look at games like Sonic. Great at one point but we have now moved on due too technology.
    Not true. It's a niche market, but there's still some QTE games being made besides Jurassic Park: The Game. There's a great arcade game called The Act that was made in 2007. I actually drove up to Boston just to play the game. It's 100% QTE, and it was a lot of fun. It was hard to get game time in too, since there was a line of people waiting to play the game, and people all around the arcade machine watching people playing the game.

It was really something to see. I've never witnessed that kind of excitement in the arcades since I was too young during the arcade boom of the 1980's.
  • edited February 2012

Checkers is still a game. Tic Tac Toe is still a game.
  • edited February 2012

The arrogance of this post is so multilayered that it threatens to consume itself into a black hole from which no straight face may escape.
  • edited February 2012
    Not true. It's a niche market, but there's still some QTE games being made besides Jurassic Park: The Game. There's a great arcade game called The Act that was made in 2007. I actually drove up to Boston just to play the game. It's 100% QTE, and it was a lot of fun. It was hard to get game time in too, since there was a line of people waiting to play the game, and people all around the arcade machine watching people playing the game.

It was really something to see. I've never witnessed that kind of excitement in the arcades since I was too young during the arcade boom of the 1980's.

Its a niche market for a reason. Some people in this thread really dont understand how poor a "game" this is, find me a positive review of it... look at the scores on Metacritic. The "game" is a waste of money and a terrible example of a QTE "game".
    DAISHI wrote: »
    Checkers is still a game. Tic Tac Toe is still a game.

I didn't realise they were on consoles? :rolleyes:
    edited February 2012
    Its a niche market for a reason. Some people in this thread really dont understand how poor a "game" this is, find me a positive review of it... look at the scores on Metacritic. The "game" is a waste of money and a terrible example of a QTE "game".
    Once again you skipped over part of my post. The QTE game at the arcade I went to had lines of people wanting to play it. No one who played it was disappointed that they did.

The Metacritic scores are actually in the average range - 60% out of 100%. It's only the user scores that are really low, and they are that low because a lot of people who never played the game were voting 0% just because a few Telltale employees voted 100%. Fake reviews are never a fair judge of a game's quality.
  • edited February 2012
    Once again you skipped over part of my post. The QTE game at the arcade I went to had lines of people wanting to play it. No one who played it was disappointed that they did.

The Metacritic scores are actually in the average range - 60% out of 100%. It's only the user scores that are really low, and they are that low because a lot of people who never played the game were voting 0% just because a few Telltale employees voted 100%. Shill voting is never a fair judge of a game's quality.

The score is 55, and we all know that pretty much most reviews only use 50 till 95, except in really extreme cases. So 55 is pretty bad.
    Also, whats that arcade game saying anything about the popularity about QTEs? They maybe played it because of nostalgia reasons, maybe they liked it because of the cartoon style? And a few people waiting in line is nothing compared to the game market in general!

Also this is not just some random QTE game, this is supposed to be a proper adaptation of the Jurassic Park license, which comes with its own expectations and must haves, which this game certainly didnt match. Wheres the excitement and suspense in random button smashing? Wheres the exploration? Awe and wonder with ancient graphics? Definetly not.

Fine for you when you belong to the few people who honestly werent dissappointed, but this game simply was a failure, thats for sure. I honestly cant imagine that this game sold very well. The fact that in germany the retail-release for XBox360 was canceled and that telltale doesnt provide a DVD for regular purchases which is unusual so far pretty much confirms that!
    edited February 2012
    Sadonicus wrote: »
    The score is 55, and we all know that pretty much most reviews only use 50 till 95, except in really extreme cases. So 55 is pretty bad.
    The score depends on the version actually. The Xbox 360 version is 60%, and it is in the yellow range, which is average. The 55% for the PC is in the yellow range as well, as is the 53% for the PS3 version. There are a lot of games that are lower than 50% on Metacritic, which puts them in the red, or negative, range. Jurassic Park: The Game isn't one of them.
    Also, whats that arcade game saying anything about the popularity about QTEs? They maybe played it because of nostalgia reasons, maybe they liked it because of the cartoon style? And a few people waiting in line is nothing compared to the game market in general!
    I never said it was the mass market in general. I always said it was a niche market. But there is a market for QTE games. And people do enjoy them, seeing as the majority of the votes in this thread are on the positive side of the margin.
    Also this is not just some random QTE game, this is supposed to be a proper adaptation of the Jurassic Park license, which comes with its own expectations and must haves, which this game certainly didnt match. Wheres the excitement and suspense in random button smashing? Wheres the exploration? Awe and wonder with ancient graphics? Definetly not.
    I thought the QTE gameplay fit the game fine. I know I was nervous and in suspense when the arrows and button icons came up. Even moreso when I missed, since I knew I didn't have that large of a margin to get the timing right at that point, so I was even more worried about getting eaten.

I thought the graphics fit in well, and I was awed by the new dinos (especially the ones who poisoned one of the main characters in the first episode). I'm actually glad they didn't use higher resolution graphics, as I'm the lowest common denominator that Telltale targets since my PC is very low end. I have to turn my graphics settings all the way down, so I'm glad Telltale caters to me as well as people who can run the game with the settings all the way up.
    Fine for you when you belong to the few people who honestly werent dissappointed, but this game simply was a failure, thats for sure. I honestly cant imagine that this game sold very well. The fact that in germany the retail-release for XBox360 was canceled and that telltale doesnt provide a DVD for regular purchases which is unusual so far pretty much confirms that!
    We don't know for sure how much Telltale sold of the game. The Xbox 360 version might not have sold well (although we don't know about that either since it's an external publisher, not Telltale, who isn't shipping that version), but it's possible that the PC version sold well. The Deluxe only version of the DVD is certainly unusual for Telltale, but that's not an indicator of anything either. Law & Order Legacies isn't getting a DVD release at all, so it's possible Telltale is just re-evaluating how they distribute their games through their website.
  • edited February 2012
    We don't know for sure how much Telltale sold of the game.

I dont want to know honestly. If most of Telltale's and Jurassic Park's fans saw that number, they wouldn't allow Telltale to ever produce a Jurassic Park game again.
  • edited March 2012
    Thank you Telltale for a good game!
  • edited March 2012
    This is oneof the bestgames QTE story and gameplay No its not a shooter
    Appreciate it for what it is I sincerely hope there is a Season 2 of Jurassic Park Xbox360 and PC played perfectly I have no idea what you are complaining about
    GREAT JOB TELLTALE
  • edited March 2012
    JP was sold out around here since it came out. I lucked into my copy thanks to friends at Gamestop. I enjoyed the game fully, and understand the QTE style as allowing you to focus on the game's story in full detail. I did run across one issue with loading a save, but I believe this was my error in shutting the game down before it autosaved properly. I play it on Xbox 360, and it never once lagged or skipped on me.

Objectively, the game is a 7.5 out of 10. Subjectively, I wouldn't change a thing about it. The game is awesome and super fun for an old Ressie like me.

In addition, it seems that Sadonicus is just on here to complain about the game and isn't about to hold an honest disscussion on its merits.
  • edited March 2012
    T163 wrote: »
    In addition, it seems that Sadonicus is just on here to complain about the game and isn't about to hold an honest disscussion on its merits.

Oh, buhuhuhu, someone doesnt like a game I love, maybe something is wrong with me :(.
    NO, he must be wrong!!!!!!! :mad:

I was here before you even heard of this game and belonged to those who tried to defend it. I always said that the story was great, but that doesnt help much when everything else falls short! Its honest from me to not wear pink JP-fanboy-glasses and admit that they screwed up on this. And yes, that frustrates me very much as someone who wanted a good Jurassic Park-Game, not a mediocre animated movie with buttom prompts.

But yeah maybe me and 80% of all critics out there are just stupid and hate telltale and themselves and life and are not able to enjoy this masterpiece...
  • edited March 2012
    Being on this forum and knowing about this particualr game seem mutually exclusive, so I fail to see how that is meant to give you authority. I'm also curious what information you're using to guess when "I heard of this game."
  • edited March 2012
    My objective assessment of the game is this:

I loved the parts of the game I actually got to play. I loved the storyline. I thought the graphics were great. The music was awesome. I loved where the game was going and couldn't wait for each new level.

Until I hit Chapter 2, Episode 2, and the game abruptly stopped. Whether it is my 2008 console, or the disc itself, is anyone's guess. But I sure wish this glitch could be fixed with a patch of somesort so that I could resume play on what was, until then, an outstanding game.
    edited May 2012
    rodmanrc wrote: »
    Until I hit Chapter 2, Episode 2, and the game abruptly stopped. Whether it is my 2008 console, or the disc itself, is anyone's guess. But I sure wish this glitch could be fixed with a patch of somesort so that I could resume play on what was, until then, an outstanding game.
    I've read that some Xbox 360 systems have a problem with ventilation and some games work improperly because of it. If you prop it up vertically on top of your stand to ensure proper ventilation, it might help you.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.