Is this game worth it?

2»

Comments

• edited February 2012
    I've been on the wall for a while about this. Largely cause I'm not sure if my computer will be able to run it or not (it couldn't run The Devil's Playhouse), and considering the price of 3 episodes vs say.. the price of Sam & Max season 1 with 6 episodes.. I don't see it being nearly as worth it.

This is, however, mostly due to the fact that I don't have any real disposable income and I have to get games when the deals are most advantageous (or I suddenly have some money to burn and nothing else to worry about). I've heard of the bugs and the shortness, and that also worries me. Doing everything I could think of in a Sam & Max episode might see it last 4-6 hours, especially if I get stumped frequently. But if one of these episodes only lasts me maybe 2-3 hours tops.. I dunno.

Ease doesn't bother me, though.
  • edited February 2012
    I've been on the wall for a while about this. Largely cause I'm not sure if my computer will be able to run it or not (it couldn't run The Devil's Playhouse), and considering the price of 3 episodes vs say.. the price of Sam & Max season 1 with 6 episodes.. I don't see it being nearly as worth it.

This is, however, mostly due to the fact that I don't have any real disposable income and I have to get games when the deals are most advantageous (or I suddenly have some money to burn and nothing else to worry about). I've heard of the bugs and the shortness, and that also worries me. Doing everything I could think of in a Sam & Max episode might see it last 4-6 hours, especially if I get stumped frequently. But if one of these episodes only lasts me maybe 2-3 hours tops.. I dunno.

Ease doesn't bother me, though.

For me personally, the Hector games certainly didn't take less time. I play through a Sam & Max episode in about 3 hours. Episodes 1 and 2 of Hector took me a bit longer than 3 hours, while episode 3 took me 4,5 hours.

Considering Sam & Max is regularly on sale while Hector rarely is, I'd say get Sam & Max if you're on a tight budget. Hector certainly is worth your time and money though.

If you don't own season 1 and 2 of Sam & Max, they are also really good. You should probably wait until they're on sale and get them all at once. Especially season 2 is really good.
  • edited February 2012
    Yeah, I broke down and got the Sam & Max Complete Collection from TTG's site cause that was the cheapest bundle I'd seen and it game with the bonus DVDs, which Steam certainly doesn't do and they're like 20 bucks each on XBL. I loved every moment and it was glad to finally play a S&M game after hearing about the characters in the 90's and through most of the 2000's.

I'll just have to wait for Hector to go on sale.
  • edited March 2012
    Hector is a good game. Buy it.
  • edited March 2012
    I'll have to say Hector was better than what TTG put out most recently.

Also everyone pounding on about "easy", "short" and "buggy", isn't that pretty much TTG's motto since Tales of Monkey Island?
    It's not that bad here at all...
  • edited March 2012
    I'll have to say Hector was better than what TTG put out most recently.

Also everyone pounding on about "easy", "short" and "buggy", isn't that pretty much TTG's motto since Tales of Monkey Island?
    It's not that bad here at all...

My problems with Hector were mostly 'badly written, unfunny and drawn out'. Which hasn't been the case with (most) Telltale games.

Then again, I'm someone who plays adventure games for their writing more than their gameplay. If you're into the more classical Scumm-style games, I can understand if Hector is a game that appeals to you more.
  • edited April 2012
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    My problems with Hector were mostly 'badly written, unfunny and drawn out'. Which hasn't been the case with (most) Telltale games.

Then again, I'm someone who plays adventure games for their writing more than their gameplay. If you're into the more classical Scumm-style games, I can understand if Hector is a game that appeals to you more.

I play adventure games more for their writing than anything else, but I loved Hector. I guess it comes down to personal preference. Still, I think other Telltale games have been really good as well, at least when it comes to writing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.