Need developer cannon confimation

edited May 2012 in Jurassic Park
As the title suggests, I need a developer, or team member, or whoever help make the game, to confirm some canon questions the Jurassic Park Wiki http://jurassicpark.wikia.com/wiki/Jurassic_Park_Wiki has.

Even though these should seem extremely stupid (considering those at TellTale Games have said the game is canon), the wiki leaders refuse to consider the game as such until they have evidence from TTG that it is so. So, here they are:

1. Is the Island the game is featured on the same as the one from the first film?

2. Are the characters, like Dennis Nedry and Gerry Harding, the same as the ones from the movie?

3. Is the Sarah Jess mentions the same Sarah from TLW:JP, or is it a different Sarah?

Thank you for your time, and hopefully some one from the company can put a conclusive end to this rather asinine argument over the game's canon with the films.

Comments

• edited April 2012
    You may have some luck private messaging mark Darin.. He worked on the game and he is always really cool about talking to us all on these boards... But it is Easter weekend now.. So you probably will not hear back until Monday or Tuesday.

The answers to all three questions is yes btw... But I understand you are looking for a more solid answer... It may interest you to know that TTG had the rights to use things from the movies only.. So even though it can be considered movie canon it is not book canon.
  • edited April 2012
    I know JPlegacy covered this and it is indeed film canon and let me find the post mark darin made a while ago when I asked the question.
  • MarkDarinMarkDarin Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2012
    Sinncrow wrote: »
    As the title suggests, I need a developer, or team member, or whoever help make the game, to confirm some canon questions the Jurassic Park Wiki has.

Well... Well universal acceptance of cannon is always a tricky thing, but WE certainly consider the events we portrayed as cannon. I mean, what we wrote wan not intended to be some kind of alternate time line or anything. Our intent was to fully integrate our story into the Jurassic Park universe! SO, lets see if I can answer any of those questions.

1. Is the Island the game is featured on the same as the one from the first film?

YES! The the island IS Isla Nublar. We studies official and unofficial maps to get a good understanding of the layout of the island and where events in the film took place. Several places featured in the film are also in the game, like the Visitor's center and Nerdy's Clearing. We also used that map to decide where logically the new places in our game might exist.

2. Are the characters, like Dennis Nedry and Gerry Harding, the same as the ones from the movie?

They are definitely the same characters. We did make cosmetic changes to Gerry Harding... but we felt it was a bit like recasting a character between movie sequels. Gerry was a minor character in the movie, but he was to be the lead role in our game, so we wanted him to appear a bit younger, but it is still meant to be the same character (but without the mustache). And Nedry... Well he's just dead.

3. Is the Sarah Jess mentions the same Sarah from TLW:JP, or is it a different Sarah?

YEP AGAIN! There has always been speculation that Sarah Harding from TLW was Gerry Harding's daughter. The subject was touched on in the books, not never actually confirmed (If I'm remembering correctly).

Hope that helps.
    Now I gotta get back to making people choose between doing a horrific thing or an equally horrific other thing in The Walking Dead game!
  • edited April 2012
    MarkDarin wrote: »
    Well... Well universal acceptance of cannon is always a tricky thing, but WE certainly consider the events we portrayed as cannon. I mean, what we wrote wan not intended to be some kind of alternate time line or anything. Our intent was to fully integrate our story into the Jurassic Park universe! SO, lets see if I can answer any of those questions.

YES! The the island IS Isla Nublar. We studies official and unofficial maps to get a good understanding of the layout of the island and where events in the film took place. Several places featured in the film are also in the game, like the Visitor's center and Nerdy's Clearing. We also used that map to decide where logically the new places in our game might exist.

They are definitely the same characters. We did make cosmetic changes to Gerry Harding... but we felt it was a bit like recasting a character between movie sequels. Gerry was a minor character in the movie, but he was to be the lead role in our game, so we wanted him to appear a bit younger, but it is still meant to be the same character (but without the mustache). And Nedry... Well he's just dead.

YEP AGAIN! There has always been speculation that Sarah Harding from TLW was Gerry Harding's daughter. The subject was touched on in the books, not never actually confirmed (If I'm remembering correctly).

Hope that helps.
    Now I gotta get back to making people choose between doing a horrific thing or an equally horrific other thing in The Walking Dead game!

Thank you so much for answering these questions and confirming the Game's canon; maybe finally the wiki can get its chickens in a row and merge the game info with the movie info!
  • edited April 2012
    I read the topic title and thought "wait, there was a cannon in Jurassic Park?"

(Yeah, the body of the OP has the correct spelling of canon in its context)

cannon = big shooty thing, there were a few in Tales of Monkey Island
    canon = the "official" true bits that make up a fictional universe (c.f. canonical)
  • edited April 2012
    Well... Well universal acceptance of cannon is always a tricky thing, but WE certainly consider the events we portrayed as cannon.

Well, good for you Mark. But does this mean that Universal will take Jurassic Park: The Game into account when they create Jurassic Park IV or anything JP related????
  • edited May 2012
    Just one more thing, that actually seems ridulous to need clarification on.

Can somebody tell the JP wiki people, officially, that Jess is NOT a pregnant stripper?
  • bubbledncrbubbledncr Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    T163 wrote: »
    Just one more thing, that actually seems ridulous to need clarification on.

Can somebody tell the JP wiki people, officially, that Jess is NOT a pregnant stripper?

I think since its a Wiki, anyone can update it. While I'm seeing this:

"According to an arguement with her father, in the episode "The Raptor Chase", Jess is already getting married and is pregnant (though this was most likely sarcasm just to get on her father's nerves)."

I see no mention of her being a stripper...
  • edited May 2012
    bubbledncr wrote: »
    I think since its a Wiki, anyone can update it. While I'm seeing this:

"According to an arguement with her father, in the episode "The Raptor Chase", Jess is already getting married and is pregnant (though this was most likely sarcasm just to get on her father's nerves)."

I see no mention of her being a stripper...

I have changed it, but it keeps getting changed back. It's rather fustrating.

The lack of that last bit gives me hope, though.
  • edited May 2012
    Is there a quality control on Wiki...I mean, the people who write such a nonsense should be banned...right. And, Darin, may you explain why the JP ending is so short, I mean the boat ride...without any panorama, or longer music score...in such way this great ride (I mean the game) got quite lackluster final moments...
  • edited May 2012
    The admins never touch the wiki, just keep changing it back or report it.
  • edited May 2012
    All the info you need is right here:
    http://www.jplegacy.org/jurassicinnards/?p=152
    This is top of the line secure info right here. I don't see why people don't use the JPLegacy encyclopedia since its much more accurate.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.