The Last Tales of Monkey Island - The saga ends (an unofficial Season Two?)

Aye, buccaneers.
I want to present you a very important project, something we built with a lot of patience, passion, and after a lot of work and research.

logosmaller.jpg

LAST TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND is an episodic novel (with illustrations) which purpose is ending the storyline in the Monkey Island Saga, and giving at last a sequel to TALES OF MONKEY ISLAND.
It's some kind of unofficial “Tales of Monkey Island Season Two”, and the achievement of the plot needed a lot of months for studying Monkey Island characters, psychologies, storylines, humour, etc.
Then, I want to give a very, very big thank you to Dave Grossman, because I wrote him on facebook, I sent him some part of the plot, and he gave me some precious idea and advice about the story, making it more complete and interesting. Thanks, man, you're great!

This project had a respectable success among the Italian fandom (in Italy we published five episodes and ended the Part I), and now I decided to work with a translator and to present it to the international fandom. I hope you will like it, too.

So far I will give you some link and four promotional posters. First episode is translated in english yet, but we will begin wih an episodic publication (maybe weekly) only when we will have three or four complete episodes.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LastTalesOfMonkeyIsland

Some poster (mixed original-not original art. The final art of the project will be fully original):

23369762.jpg

35844061.jpg

57780733.jpg

62873600.jpg

19823018.jpg

52059155w.jpg

84348132.jpg

31855824.jpg

46710771.jpg

15398649.jpg

And some little disclaimer: this project is no way affiliated with Telltale, LucasArts, or wants to replace an official Season Two. On the contrary, whenever and wherever the Telltale wants to take from this project part of the plot, of the situations, of the characters, of the dialog lines, I would be only glad of it.

Thank you to everybody, we will start soon!

Comments

• edited February 2012
    As an Italian I've read the entire first chapter and I can say that the story so far is wonderful and any Monkey Island fan will enjoy it.
    I'm glad this project is getting an english translation!
  • edited February 2012
    I'm very glad about the idea of a translation!
    It's about time!!!
  • edited February 2012
    Awesome! Can't wait for it!

I have only one recommendation: Please please please find someone who knows English and Italian perfectly! I saw many Italian projects translated horribly into English and that can ruin a good story.

A slight question regarding that... the LeChuck teaser picture has "How much time has he left" written. I have a very slightly tiny itsy-bitsy feeling that it's not really what you wanted to write there. I hope I'm wrong :) Isn't that "How much time does he have left?"
  • edited February 2012
    I think that "RETURN ON MONKEY ISLAND" by italian director Spadoni still freaks the hell out of you :D:D:D

(Sorry Spad, just kiddin')
  • edited February 2012
    A slight question regarding that... the LeChuck teaser picture has "How much time has he left" written. I have a very slightly tiny itsy-bitsy feeling that it's not really what you wanted to write there. I hope I'm wrong :) Isn't that "How much time does he have left?"

I think you're totally right, Silverwolf. In fact, i made the correction.

As a matter of fact, I translated the posters and the site, but for the episodes I'm working with a translator that is much, much better than me with the English language :D. I hope that the final result will be the best because I perfectly understand: a bad translation can ruin the project. And if it will not be the best, well, we can't say that we did'nt try :D
    I think that "RETURN ON MONKEY ISLAND" by italian director Spadoni still freaks the hell out of you

Ahauahuahauahauhauah
  • edited February 2012
    I think you're totally right, Silverwolf. In fact, i made the correction.

As a matter of fact, I translated the posters and the site, but for the episodes I'm working with a translator that is much, much better than me with the English language :D. I hope that the final result will be the best. And if it will not be, we can't say that we did'nt try :D

I'm sure it will be fine :D I'm excited for this! Haven't read a good comic in ages!
    DannyHyena wrote: »
    I think that "RETURN ON MONKEY ISLAND" by italian director Spadoni still freaks the hell out of you :D:D:D

Hahahahahahaaaaaano ...don't... don't mention that .... ever.... :rolleyes:

Also, quick question, Voodoomaster, is it okay if I promote this through my site? Just a quick article, nothing too fancy. ^^ There are some Monkey Island fans that don't visit these forums so often.
  • edited February 2012
    Also, quick question, Voodoomaster, is it okay if I promote this through my site? Just a quick article, nothing too fancy. ^^ There are some Monkey Island fans that don't visit these forums so often.

Thank you very much, Silver! I will be very proud of this and I will promote your site on my facebook page.

But, only a thing, just to be clear: it's not a comic :D , it's a novel, supported by some illustration. Maybe I did'nt explain myself so well. Have I talked you about the fact that I'm not the official translator, yet? :D
  • edited February 2012
    Aye aye!

I'm one of the illustrators in this project and thanks to the upcoming English translation I will be famous all over the world! Yaahar!

Just kiddin' :)

I hope you'll enjoy this novel. I think it's exactly how you expect to read a Monkey Island game :)
  • edited February 2012
    Ambitious project. I'm glad to partecipate in something so full of love for the MI series.
    I think that every MI fan will appreciate it and will love the humour and the plot of this story (hoping in a perfect english translation)!
  • edited February 2012
    It’s an honor and a big pleasure for me working in this project. The my biggest dream is be involved in a new Monkey Island, and partly whit this beautiful novel I have realize this dream.. I curing the five covers of each chapter, I hope do you like this my little job and especially you have an enjoy reading!!!:)
  • edited February 2012
    Hi guys.

I'm also part of this great project: I first heard of it on Facebook and when I found out they wanted to do an English version, I put my name forward.

I've been studying English for years and I also took a Cambridge exam two years ago (that's CAE, I don't know if you've ever heard of it...) and now I study Foreign Languages at the university.

As for the translation... I know that, since I'm not a native speaker, it's going to be hard to translate everything in a perfectly fluent English, but I'll do my best, because I'm proud of being part of this wonderful project. I understand what you mean when you say that a bad translation can ruin a well written story: I can assure you that I always check my writing, not only to avoid spelling and grammar mistakes, but also to make sure I'm using the appropriate register and vocabulary. I usually look up the expressions in the dictionary if I don't know them already, and then...well, translating such a saga calls into play a lot of creativity. You'll realize that puns and rhymes sometimes cannot be translated literally, so I'll take my liberties here and there...

So all I can do now is to wish you a good reading. Follow us!
  • edited February 2012
    New posters!

19823018.jpg 52059155w.jpg 84348132.jpg
  • edited March 2012
    More posters!!!

31855824.jpg

46710771.jpg

15398649.jpg
  • edited March 2012
    Who did your backgrounds?
  • edited March 2012
    Some of them are ripped backgrounds from Bill Tiller Art, some of them are by an italian artist named Federico Davide.

However, a very important thing:

First Episode of Part I, "The Last Inhabitant of Scabb Island", will be available on March 25th

Then, every episode will be published on the 5th, the 15th and the 25th of every month, until the end of the Part I, divided in five episodes
  • edited March 2012
    Ohhhhhh exciting!
  • edited March 2012
    in the posters i see who some of the characters are like Guybrush, Lechuck, Elaine, Morgan, Stan and im not sure but i think the who is the greatest hero alive poster is Winslow but im not sure. one poster thats really got be excited for this is the are you ready to act in the worst comedy poster . Can't wait for this :)
  • edited March 2012
    Thank you guys, I hope you're going to like it!

Meanwhile, here we go with the Part I "Chapter Screen" Art

pergamenacopertinaparte.jpg
  • edited March 2012
    First Episode Today!!!

"The first Inhabitant of Scabb Island"

On: http://www.lasttalesofmonkeyisland.com
  • edited March 2012
    Come on guys, let us know what you think of the new episodes as soon as you read them!
  • edited March 2012
    I can't wait for the english versions!!!!
  • edited March 2012
    The English Episode 1 will be online at 18.00 GMC ;)
  • edited March 2012
    Here we are with the Episode 1:

http://www.lasttalesofmonkeyisland.com/downloade.html

P.S. I recommend reading the PDF version. The Online version is allways in a worse quality

Enjoy!
  • edited March 2012
    Great !!! What about a Flash-Movie for this Story? ;)
  • edited March 2012
    With the right artistic support we can plan to do almost everything, even a game. But right now we prefer to focus on the novel until it is not finished ;)
  • edited March 2012
    Great !!! What about a Flash-Movie for this Story? ;)

Have you already read the English version? Did you enjoy it?
  • edited March 2012
    All very sinister. Will be interested to see how it comes out....
  • edited March 2012
    All very sinister. Will be interested to see how it comes out....

Thank you for the comment.I'd like to know what you think of the English translation: have you got any advice? Is it ok?
  • edited March 2012
    Sylvy wrote: »
    I'd like to know what you think of the English translation: have you got any advice? Is it ok?

"omage" should be spelled "homage". That was the only part that stood out for me! :)
  • edited March 2012
    sorry, where did you see it? I'm sure I never wrote it. I even looked for it in the text but it was nowhere to be seen...you sure it's not somewhere in the website? 'cause I didn't deal with that, so maybe that's the reason why I can't find it.

Apart from that (provided we can find it, I really don't remember it, I looked for it myself time and again, but nope...) how does that look to you? I mean, is the text fluent, natural,and all that? Does it sound "English"?
  • edited March 2012
    sorry, where did you see it? I'm sure I never wrote it.

It's in the "Closing Credits" at the end, in computer-style writing.
    Apart from that (provided we can find it, I really don't remember it, I looked for it myself time and again, but nope...) how does that look to you? I mean, is the text fluent, natural,and all that? Does it sound "English"?

It's readable as English. There are a few odd phrases here and there, like "things have got only worse," which should be, "things have only gotten worse." People who read English are tolerant of things like this, though, because we have such a complicated language, and the story is still understandable and easy to read. It's also written from Guybrush's perspective, so we can blame any grammar problems on him.
  • edited March 2012
    Next episode on April 5th!

Thank you everybody for comments and criticisms. They help us improving the project (the 'omage' thing was my fault, not Sylvy's. I'll fix it very soon).

Also coming Soon: the original Last Tales of Monkey Island Soundtrack, by the great musician&composter Riccardo Messori
  • edited March 2012
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    It's in the "Closing Credits" at the end, in computer-style writing.

It's readable as English. There are a few odd phrases here and there, like "things have got only worse," which should be, "things have only gotten worse." People who read English are tolerant of things like this, though, because we have such a complicated language, and the story is still understandable and easy to read. It's also written from Guybrush's perspective, so we can blame any grammar problems on him.

So you like it. I'm really glad about that! Please let us know if anything is wrong because this will help us to improve our work. This is my first experience as a translator, and I'm not a native speaker of English, so it's a bit difficult for me to translate such a complicated thing, but I'm doing my best to make it sound natural. Thank you for your comment!
  • edited April 2012
    New episode today at 18.00 GMT . What is going to happen into the legendary Tomb of the Titan?
  • edited April 2012
    Let us know what you think of it, guys. Besides, it won't be long before episode 3 is out. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
  • edited April 2012
    Episode 3 is online! http://www.lasttalesofmonkeyisland.com/downloade.html

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Wait... you didn't comment episode 2. Well, thanks anyway for reading :)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited April 2012
    I've just read chapter three and I quite enjoy the story so far.
    The tone is mostly right , the dialogue is pretty funny (and doesn't usually sound out of place with what the characters would usually say) and the story is quite intriguing.
    There are some spelling mistakes and the grammar isn't perfect (as a native French speaker, I'm sure that mine isn't either ;)), but that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the story.
    Good job and keep'em coming!
  • edited April 2012
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    I've just read chapter three and I quite enjoy the story so far.
    The tone is mostly right , the dialogue is pretty funny (and doesn't usually sound out of place with what the characters would usually say) and the story is quite intriguing.
    There are some spelling mistakes and the grammar isn't perfect (as a native French speaker, I'm sure that mine isn't either ;)), but that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the story.
    Good job and keep'em coming!

Thanks you for the comment! You know, I'm not a native speaker, so of course some mistakes may happen. This is my first experience as a translator, so it's a challenging task, but it's really worth doing it. Anyway I checked the writing again and I already prepared a new edition which will be up soon. Thank you again, your comments help us improving our work.

Ok, so the mistakes are fixed. And a new chapter will be out soon, so enjoy it!
  • edited April 2012
    Hi everybody! The Episode 4 is going to be online today at 18.00 GMC:

http://www.lasttalesofmonkeyisland.com
Sign in to comment in this discussion.