Language issue. Telltale crew

A serious thought to the BTTF crew at telltale games. Most fans of the movies, like myself, have kids now, and those kids naturally are interested in the movies and games. My son is, and he is 6. I got BTTF episode 1 on iPad and was enjoying it, but was disappointed by the bad language. I bought episode 2 and thought it fun, didn't notice much language on that one. Then I bought 3, and turned it off when Marty used bad language, and my son was sitting next to me. I erased it off my iPad, along with the first 2. Come on, people, just because the movie used some language, doesn't mean you have to put it in the game.
Look at the reviews on iTunes apps under BTTF 1 and see that I'm not the only one that feels like this.
Can you consider making an update to filter out the bad language. There's a reason why they filter movies when they play on regular television stations.
Consider it please.
Thanks

Comments

• edited May 2012
    2nd time to write about this, but really, respond to this, telltale. Just talked to some friends this morning, they totally agree. There's no reason at all there should be foul language in the game. It ruins the whole thing.
    Can there be an option for parental controls to remove it?
    This was someone's suggestion on the apple app store reviews under BTTF 1,
    amd I thought it was good. There are numerous people on those reviews, including myself, that won't play anymore unless it's edited.
    Were talking more customers for you guys.

Can u respond Telltale, to see if u are at least considering this?
  • edited May 2012
    There was some swearing in the movies. Plus I am afraid this game wrapped up June of last year.. so the only work done on it would, probably be releasing the game as is to new platforms.

I think anyone complaining about the swearing in the game forgot about the swearing in the movies.. I do not think TTG should censor themselves when what they made fits just fine with what was on screen in the movies.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    Irishmile wrote: »
    There was some swearing in the movies. [...] I do not think TTG should censor themselves when what they made fits just fine with what was on screen in the movies.

Absolutely. I think it's totally fine given the source material.

Apparently when airing the BTTF movies, some US networks change Doc's original line from this (don't click link if you don't want to hear Doc swear) to "you're gonna see some serious stuff". Makes me wonder what they did with all the other swears in the movies (don't click the spoiler if you don't want to see them):
    "damn", "butthead", "sh-t", "ass", "a--hole", "son of a bitch", "hell", "bastards".

Anyway, if they were putting swears in Dora the Explorer's Ballet Adventures, then yes I would be concerned. But swearing is part of BTTF and fits with the licence.
  • There's also game ratings which are mandatory for every released game (and i believe was something which delayed one of the episodes for the PSN last year).

If you're a concerned parent about the game content it is YOUR job to find out what kind of content is in the game, not the publishers. As mentioned there are no bad words in the game which were not in the films.

All 3 films had the S bomb in them.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012

All 3 films had the S bomb in them.

So "the s word" is a "bomb" today, huh. I guess that was pretty mild stuff in the 80s then. :confused:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/back-future
    Strong language includes a couple memorable uses of "s--t," as well as "bastards," "damn," "a--hole," and a couple of racial slurs in the 1950s-set scenes.

The parents of the quoted site actually vote that the original MOVIE should only be watched by children almost twice the age of your son. And compared to the movies, the games IMHO use LESS swearing.

BTW, all these words can be used freely on these forums.
  • edited May 2012
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    Absolutely. I think it's totally fine given the source material.

Apparently when airing the BTTF movies, some US networks change Doc's original line from this (don't click link if you don't want to hear Doc swear) to "you're gonna see some serious stuff". Makes me wonder what they did with all the other swears in the movies (don't click the spoiler if you don't want to see them):
    "damn", "butthead", "sh-t", "ass", "a--hole", "son of a bitch", "hell", "bastards".

Anyway, if they were putting swears in Dora the Explorer's Ballet Adventures, then yes I would be concerned. But swearing is part of BTTF and fits with the licence.

I very distinctly remember Marty shouting "HOLY JEEZ!" during one scene in BTTF2 on TV. It was pretty awkwardly dubbed.

It would be relatively easy on Telltale's side to record swearless alternate versions of the small handful of lines which include swearing, and have them toggled in the options.
  • edited May 2012
    @puzzlebox: you spell out "ass" and "hole" but censor yourself on "asshole"? What's up with that? :D

Also, the movie's rated PG, the game's rate T for Teen... so there's NO reason to complain about ANYTHING. In my opinion the thread starter should blame himself for ignoring the rating, thus exposing his son to foul language. That's just bad parenting and plain out ridiculous... but sure, it's easier to blame someone else, right.
  • So "the s word" is a "bomb" today, huh. I guess that was pretty mild stuff in the 80s then. :confused:

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/back-future

The parents of the quoted site actually vote that the original MOVIE should only be watched by children almost twice the age of your son. And compared to the movies, the games IMHO use LESS swearing.

BTW, all these words can be used freely on these forums.
    In that case I can't get in trouble for what I'm about to say!
    LuigiHann wrote: »
    I very distinctly remember Marty shouting "HOLY JEEZ!" during one scene in BTTF2 on TV. It was pretty awkwardly dubbed.

It would be relatively easy on Telltale's side to record swearless alternate versions of the small handful of lines which include swearing, and have them toggled in the options.

why should they though? DVD's and blu rays don't have such options. I've seen the films on TV as well, 'shit' gets changed to 'shoot' or 'jeez' and 'jesus christ' gets changed to 'jeez louise', 'assholes' gets changed to jerks and for some reason 'hows it hanging' gets changed to 'hows it happening'
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Well, that's what happens when you find a stranger in the alps. :D
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2012
    @puzzlebox: you spell out "ass" and "hole" but censor yourself on "asshole"? What's up with that? :D

Haha, yeah. I just copied the censors off a parenting website... ordinarily I wouldn't censor any of those words at all, just feel as a mod I should try to be considerate to the OP if they are particularly sensitive to this stuff. I'd also normally spell it "arse". :)
    and for some reason 'hows it hanging' gets changed to 'hows it happening'

I believe that's because "how's it hanging" is literally an enquiry about a homie's dangly bits. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.