European release?

Will the WiiWare versions of the games be released in Europe at the same time as the American releases or will they be released later? Will they even be released in Europe at all? I live in Australia, if that's relevant.

Comments

• edited April 2008
    Same here. If Nintendo screws us over again with this, I'm not going to be happy. "Furious with the incandescent rage and anger of a billion suns, focused through the Parabolic Mirror of Hate," would be a grave understatement. I will cry, spout profanities for some time, have my Wii chipped, and do my very best to deprive Nintendo of money from that day forward.

More than anything, I'm just sick of the lies and bovine leavings they feed us to explain why we have to wait months for a game that hasn't changed in any meaningful way. "Translation issues" my left pinky toe. Last time I checked, English was the official language of Australia, and I can't remember the last time I saw them spell "colour" correctly. I don't see why it takes two and a half months to change the labels on the boxart, and flip the "restrict this to Australian machines" switch. We don't even have a release date for SSBB yet! :'(

Sorry about that. Nintendo's insane policy regarding Australia just makes me both miserable and terribly angry. If all else fails, I'll just get the PC version.

P.S. I just checked, and the "Australian" localised version of the Super Mario Galaxy manual spells it "color." Excuse me while I go fume... :mad:
  • edited April 2008
    I believe that currently Wii-Ware doesn't have an official lauch date in Europe or Australia.

There are rumours of a May launch similar to the USA launch, but nothing concrete.

I imagine Strong bad availability depends on when the service is launched in your area.

Or you could get the PC version without the Wii controls.
  • edited April 2008
    Sorry if this is trivial, but I'm really new to this wii thing. If you own an NTSC wii but do not live in the US, is there anything restricting you from getting the wiiware game when it's released for the US?
  • edited April 2008
    I've got a US Wii.

So far, it's just as if you live in the US.
    All of the content is from the US, your default locations are all in the US (and can't be changed), you need to make sure you buy your Wii-points from the US, and all of the virtual console games are the US versions.

I'd imagine WiiWare would be the same.

Although to be honest I'm more interested in buying the games on the PC, unless the release date is vastly different.
  • edited April 2008
    When the first episode comes out on WiiWare here, if it ever does, I may consider trying to figure out how to connect my Wii to the Internet, but if there's any chance of a commercial PC release I'll get that instead, ordering through my local game store like I did with Sam and Max Season 1. I've never bought anything over the Internet and probably never will - if I'm desperate enough, I might try to get the PC version over wire transfer, but I don't know if that's possible from Australia. Is it?
  • edited April 2008
    Really?
    Living in Australia I can see a number of reasons why you should buy stuff over the Internet.
    I'm not sure if they spent years localizing the australian versions of Sam & Max, or if they localized it at all, but if they did you'd be able to grab the season packages off Steam long before they appeared in your local store shelves.
  • edited April 2008
    IGN wrote:
    IGN: Do you have international fans and will the [SBCG4AP] game be released in other territories?

Mike: There's the English speaking countries. The UK, Australia, Canada, but that's pretty much it.

Matt: Yeah there seems to be a pretty big Australia contingent. I'd want them to be able to play it so I hope so.

I think that should sum up the question as to whether this will be released in the land of Oz.
  • edited April 2008
    I buy lots of stuff over the internet... half the time it's cheaper to ship it from the US than to buy the same product here (Books, DVDs). Can't say the same about UK purchases... but some stuff just isn't available here either.

Sure, I use a credit card but have never had any problems - if you stick to buying from reputable companies, (Telltale, Amazon, etc) the risk is pretty low.
  • edited April 2008
    I think that should sum up the question as to whether this will be released in the land of Oz.

Their answer makes it sound like it's all up to Nintendo, since they can only hope that the game will be released there.
  • edited April 2008
    This might shed some light on the question: http://kotaku.com/370517/pal-wiiware-launching-in-may-as-well
  • edited April 2008
    Haggis wrote: »
    This might shed some light on the question: http://kotaku.com/370517/pal-wiiware-launching-in-may-as-well

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but that doesn't mean SBCG4AP is planned for that date. It just means that Nintendo will be ready for WiiWare by that time.
  • SegSeg
    edited April 2008
    Haggis wrote: »

conclusions.jpg

(( We really need to make that a macro at this point. ))
  • edited April 2008
    Lucien21 wrote: »
    I believe that currently Wii-Ware doesn't have an official lauch date in Europe or Australia.

There are rumours of a May launch similar to the USA launch, but nothing concrete.
    I was referring to this, actually. I really need to learn to use quotes more often. Of course I have no idea when SBCG4AP will be released, but there are still some concerns about if/when WiiWare will come to Europe.
  • edited April 2008
    Many countries in Europe have populations fluent in or at least good at understanding English.
    Releasing it to the European WiiWares should result in sales.

European videogames tends to have localized settings for English, Italian, French, Spanish, German, etc but I really don't think anyone would kill you if you just skipped that part and kept it the way it is.
    After all, the target audience all watched the SBemails and the other homestarrunner toons in english.
    Plus, needless localization takes time and money! That's not the spirit of WiiWare!
    (...and we don't want to wait that extra time for the release)
  • edited April 2008
    Many countries in Europe have populations fluent in or at least good at understanding English.
    English is the first language in history where there are more people who speak it as a second language than speak it natively.

That's not relevant to anything; I just read it in an in-flight magazine and have been waiting ever since to get a chance to use it.
  • edited April 2008
    The most interesting knowledge is that which has no use what so ever. Thus, you made that knowledge is immediately uninteresting. Otherwise, it would have been good (not useful, however) to know.
  • edited May 2008
    Wow, suprise announcement:
    http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2008/05/nintendo_wiiware_launches_in_oz_today.html

Wiiware is in Oz, only a week after the US. Wow. So hopefully those Aussie Wii owners who want SBCG4AP can get it via WiiWare on the same release schedule as the US.

I don't have a Wii, so I'm not so fussed. I'll be getting the PC version.
  • edited May 2008
    I don't really understand how it works, but does it really cost very much to release a game to a different region on an online store? As in, does it cost more to release it in Europe in USA than it does in just the USA, assuming it stays in English?

I work in rights, so I can see how there could be rights issues, but I don't know that there's anything in a H*R that would have problems clearing for other territories. There's no shipping costs, so isn't it just server space? Surely even if 100 people download it (which is ridiculously lower than whatever the actual figure might be) then that's a bit of money to Nintendo and TT...

Or am I missing some hidden cost somewhere?
  • edited May 2008
    Maybe we will have it on the European Store.
    FFC : My life has a king has been released here in France in english! So there was no loacalisation for the game!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.