USB keyboard support?

Now, obviously, I'm not expecting it to factor into actual necessary gameplay, since not all Wii owners will have a keyboard handy, but...

For those players that DO have a Wii-compatible keyboard, are there any plans to include little Easter eggs that could utilize it? Say, entering in commands into the Lappy to call up little minigames or other bonuses that would be just for fun and not impact the actual game? Like, being able to punch in "run duck_pond" and have it call up the little Duck Pond game or something. :D

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I guess we'll have to find out when the game comes out. Otherwise, where's the fun in giving away secrets before the product is released?
  • edited April 2008
    Hopefully if they do have an Easter Egg like that there will be another way to do it than an actual keyboard. I don't think I know one person that has or uses a wii compatable keyboard.
  • edited April 2008
    I doubt it would be good business practice to have something only a select few can access.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2008
    Unless we got a cut of keyboard sales.... hmmm.....
  • edited April 2008
    Almost all easter eggs on the site are triggered by clicking, and very rarely by a single keypress, so requiring the keyboard for anything would be rather silly.

I suppose if the Wii came with a keyboard, they'd have been able to use Strong Bad's suggestion for a green text adventure.
  • edited April 2008
    People speak of "wii compatible keyboards", but in my experience any usb keyboard does the trick.
    And those are getting pretty common.
  • SegSeg
    edited April 2008
    The Wii will accept any standard USB Keyboard.

At home, I have a KVM switch that picked between my Mac desktop and the Wii, both using the same Apple keyboard. As long as the title supports USB Keyboards, any USB Keyboard should work.
  • edited April 2008
    wait... wrong thread, sorry ^^;

I'ma n00b -_-
  • edited April 2008
    I doubt it would be good business practice to have something only a select few can access.

Well, keyboards are dirt cheap, so it's not like anyone would be truly cut off. Plus it wouldn't have to be important, just something of the blink-and-you-miss-it variety. But I can still see your point. Was just curious. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Ah, so any usb keyboard does work. Nice.
    Then spending some of the work hours to implement a little keyboard-related easter egg wouldn't be wasted because of a lacking audience.

Or a simpler usage; If you can use the SBemail system to mail your friends,
    (I saw hints sounding remotely like it somewhere, and that's why I'm hoping something of the likes will be included. Excited to see if it's there or not in june)
    letting you use a real keyboard as an alternative to the standard onscreen keyboard would be nice.
  • edited April 2008
    What's the point of having a keyboard only secret? Honestly, why do you want to alienate something from the majority of the user base for no reason what so ever?
  • edited April 2008
    Most people can get ahold of these keyboards. And if it's an easter egg, there's no alienation.
    If it's not an easter egg, normal people may use the standard onscreen keyboard they always use.

Your comment is like saying the headtracking easter egg in Boom Blox makes people who don't know of it feel left out.
  • edited April 2008
    No, it's nothing like that at all.

What you propose is an extra which is pointlessly limited to those with USB keyboards.

Something like head tracking in Boom Blox (btw, this has been removed) is limited because the feature requires the stuff it is limited by. You can't achieve head tracking without IR glasses. I'm quite sure your suggested easter egg could easily be achieved with a Wiimote.
  • edited April 2008
    Well actually. You can achieve head tracking by holding the sensor bar to your head.
    Looks dumb though. But I get what you mean.
    My suggested easter egg could easily be achieved with a wiimote, yeah. With an onscreen keyboard.
    Having the option to write using a keyboard instead (like the wii message board lets you) would be nice, as it's easier... And faster.
    As for the point in limiting it to the keyboard. It would make the easter egg cooler.
    To mention two such pointless easter eggs (both related to savegames, but the point is that they only show to those select people)
    - Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid comments on other games you play. Given that your memory card has savegames with those exact games.
    - The hidden character Rosalina is playable in Mario Kart Wii. Given that your memory card has a Super Mario Galaxy savegame.
    So would it kill anyone that in a screen where the lappy only shows
    >_
    you could write
    >run duckpond.exe
    hit return and watch it play?
    Excluding a major feature from the general public is foolish, but this suggestion would be an easter egg, not a major feature.
  • edited April 2008
    All I want is to be able to hold down TAB to see all the things I can click on (like in the swfs)
  • SegSeg
    edited April 2008
    Quuux wrote: »
    All I want is to be able to hold down TAB to see all the things I can click on (like in the swfs)

All the things you will be able to click on will have their own pop-up text describing the object. So instead of tabbing to see the clickable things (which I also do with the cartoons), you'll have a visual response with objects that you can interact with.
  • edited May 2008
    I have a USB Keyboard, and it's from Logitech. it works fine for me, even on the standard games on HomestarRunner.com
  • edited May 2008
    - Psycho Mantis from Metal Gear Solid comments on other games you play. Given that your memory card has savegames with those exact games.

Psycho Mantis is AWESOME. End of.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.