Telltale lost me because of Focus.

edited July 2012 in Sam & Max
I was verry disappointed when I played Tales of Monkey Island when I saw there were no french dialogue. For me, when i see "French version" on a box, it means that everithing is in french, including dialogue. For that, I hesitated buying Sam & Max: The Devil's Toybox, until I learned it was the same case. I guess it will be the same with Back to the Future and Jurassic Park ?
I pre-ordered BTTF Deluxe Edition only because I knew there would be no french Deluxe Edition. I planned to get the french version to put it in my deluxe box. I also planned the same for Jurassic Park. But since it goes that way, I took a decision.
Until you release fully french versions again, including past games that aren't, I will not buy any more of your games.

Comments

• edited February 2012
    Here's what Focus says.
    Le retour de la mythique série Monkey Island en version française !
    It means: The return of the legendary Monkey Island series in French!
    Focus is actually fooling french fans.
    What would you say if you see: The return of the legendary Rayman series in English!
    And when you play it, you see it's not English but French subtitled English.
    Come on Telltale, those are your games, please force Focus to do full French versions. At least Sam & Max, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, whith the real French voices for first and second.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited February 2012
    Chapmic wrote: »
    Come on Telltale, those are your games, please force Focus to do full French versions. At least Sam & Max, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, whith the real French voices for first and second.
    Telltale can't force Focus to do anything.
    They sold Focus the rights to publish the game in France; after that, the game (or at least, the French edition) belongs to Focus.
    I understand your frustration, but I'm not sure why anyone would want a French "spoken" version instead of a French "subtitled" version.
    French is my mother tongue (I'm from the French-speaking part of Belgium), but I absolutely can't stand the French versions of Sam & Max Hit the Road or Escape from Monkey Island.
    It took me a long time to finally play through those games (I'd owned the two games on CD for almost ten years when I finally decided to get over the horrible dubbing and play them for the first time before the first Telltale games of those series were released) and I've since then purchased the English-speaking versions.

Telltale ne peut pas forcer Focus à faire quoique ce soit.
    Ils leur ont vendu les droits de publication pour la France; dès lors, le jeu (ou tout du moins l'édition française) appartient à Focus.
    Je comprends votre frustration, mais ne comprends pas vraiment pourquoi quiconque voudrait une versions doublée, plutôt que sous-titrée en français.
    Le français est ma langue maternelle (je suis Wallon), mais je ne supporte absolument pas les versions françaises de Sam & Max Hit the Road ou Escape from Monkey Island.
    Il m'a fallu longtemps pour enfin me décider à compléter ces jeux (j'en possédais les CD depuis près de 10 ans avant de finalement craquer et d'y jouer pour la première fois, malgré le doublage horrible, avant la sortie des jeux Telltale de ces mêmes séries) et j'ai depuis acheté les versions anglophones.
  • edited February 2012
    Chapmic wrote: »
    At least Sam & Max, Back to the Future and Jurassic Park, whith the real French voices for first and second.

Do you realise that these are cartoons? There is not such thing as "real" voices
  • edited February 2012
    Macfly77
    Alors que Focus arrête au moins de dire que les jeux sont en français, j'ai faillit racheter Sam & Max: The Devil's Toybox pour rien.
    Je ne mets jamais les sous-titre, ça fait louper des trucs.
    Le problème du doublage français des jeux, c'est que les doubleurs doivent improviser les émotions, ils n'ont que le texte à lire, pas les images. Si Focus fait pareil, alors en effet, c'est pas la peine d'essayer. Je ne pensais plus du tout à ça. Ras-le-bol des "D2-R2", "Z-6PO", "Chictabbac" et "Jabba le Forestier", si vous voyez ce que je veux dire.
    Bah, je laisse tomber, vous m'avez convaincu.

Allright, I take it back. But I want new seasons, if it's possible. Please ?:o

Captain Capsize
    There is a Jurassic Park cartoon ?
  • edited February 2012
    I think Capsize is making an unnecessary judgement/comment, based on the fact that these are computer games and you're therefore not really "hearing" their voices because someone else is providing them.

It's a pretty weak argument and doesn't actually add anything to the discussion, unless you want to rationalize it as them saying "if you're not hearing them in English, as the game was intended, you're not really hearing them anyway." Which reminds me of the "subbed vs dubbed" debate in the anime community. I'd rather have them in English, even though fairly often the translation is utter crap, mainly cause I can't stand reading subtitles.

In that regard, yes, I can understand you wanting to play the games in your native tongue. However, I'm also of the belief that a lot of things just sound better in English cause it feels like a more universal/adaptable language, seeing as how most parts of the world are familiar with it and or use it quite often. Even Japan has English as a mandatory part of school education.

But I think I'm getting off topic.
  • edited February 2012
    I think Capsize is making an unnecessary judgement/comment, based on the fact that these are computer games and you're therefore not really "hearing" their voices because someone else is providing them.

You are right.

On a second thought, maybe he meant "original" voices, that is, dubbed by the same guys as the previous localized seasons. I can understand that request, just imagine that they change the guy who voices Homer Simpson.

BTW I prefer to listen to media in their original language, as long as I have a grasp of it. But that is just my opinion
  • edited June 2012
    OMG, i just replayed Sam & Max Season 2, and I understand why the games are not in french anymore. Now I remember that the synchronization between dialogue and action is completely messed up at some points. I think i will reinstall it in VO.
  • edited July 2012
    Pff, I'm waiting for a world who speak in chineese, english people will cry (and we will tell them : "it's better in chineese, it's universal ! :) :3 ;)"...).
    In france since 4-5 years some "cool guys" completly denigrate our language, few years yet and we will watch the "Tontons Flingueurs" dubbed in english...
  • edited July 2012
    I can understand you are annoyed by false advertising, but why exactly would you want tales of monkey island to be dubbed in french?
    One of the best things about that series is the voice acting, which is entirely ruined when dubbed by another voice actor.
    And I say this as a Norwegian..

I really don't get why southern Europeans need to dub absolutely everything.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.