Is SCGAP...'canon'?

Now, I am not obssessed about Homestarrunner.com's 'canon', but I know people who are, and I am asking this question on behalf of them.

Can we consider the events in the game to actually have happened in the canon of Homestarrunner.com?
That there is a Race To the End of the Race Race? That Homestar Runner really ran naked?
Well, most cartoons can. The problem is, Strong Bad himself sold the license to make this game, and he has not confirmed if the events happened in Free Country, USA.

Not that he actually would. Strong Bad's belief in 'realism' usually involves him having muscles and him dating hot chicks that flies to Mars. So, no, the game won't be realistic by his standards. But is Telltale basing this off 'real life'? Or is Telltale making stuff up in order to sell games, in the same way that Strong Bad usually lies about his life? Is the game canon, when you consider its origins?

Remember, I myself don't care, as I believe this is a cartoon and people shouldn't overthink. But someone WILL overthink, so let get this question over with NOW.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    Wait, so trying to predict what someone else will potentially worry over, and writing four paragraphs about it isn't over-thinking?
  • edited June 2008
    Also, keep in mind that the Script is written by the Brothers Chaps (Telltale is only making it into an awesome Adventure game), so it's to as close as Canon as possible.
  • edited June 2008
    The script is written by us, actually, with review and input from TBC.
  • edited June 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    The script is written by us, actually, with review and input from TBC.

I sit in my chair corrected.

Edit: but since it's reviewed by TBC, I guess that makes it officially TBC in the same sense Splinter Cell is "officially" Tom Clancy.
  • edited June 2008
    I'm officially confused. And your excuse for not over thinking is terrible.
  • edited June 2008
    Here's my take on things.

In Cyan's Myst series, it was revealed that all the numbered games (and possible also Uru) aren't accurate representations of the events of the Myst continuity. They are officially the games based upon those events that were created within the Myst universe around the time of Uru, which takes place on Earth in the present day.

I believe the same to be the case with SBCG4AP, except probably with much less game inaccuracy. The series appears to exist within the Homestar Runner universe as well as in our own. I believe that it is based upon actual events that took place within the Homestar Runner universe (recent events, most likely) but Telltale Games has the right to be at least a little inaccurate for reasons of playability and enjoyability.

There's also the problem of Telltale Games knowing about things they normally couldn't possibly know and putting them in the game, to which I say: they have ways.
  • edited June 2008
    this whole myst example doesn't actually make it esasier to understand...
    anyway, this whole canon thing is completely overrated. i usually see it like this: everything is in, unless it contains events that have a huge impact, but are ignored later. if someone dies, but later is around again, then, i guess, that wasn't canon. like with the simpsons halloween specials..

you shouldn't worry to much about the other stuff.
  • edited June 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    this whole myst example doesn't actually make it esasier to understand...
    anyway, this whole canon thing is completely overrated. i usually see it like this: everything is in, unless it contains events that have a huge impact, but are ignored later. if someone dies, but later is around again, then, i guess, that wasn't canon. like with the simpsons halloween specials..

you shouldn't worry to much about the other stuff.

I've just fixed a major typo in my previous post, maybe that was the problem, but probably not. I'll explain the basic idea: the games (both the Myst series and, apparently, SBCG4AP) exist in both the fictional universes and also in our own. The games we have are NOT actual canonical games, although they're close enough. The games we have are from the fictional universes themselves. They are based upon things that happened in those universes but probably aren't 100% accurate because they were made within those universes.

In short, SBCG4AP is a probably imperfect representation of canonical events, pulled from within the Homestar Runner universe itself.

Man, I'm such a nerd.
  • edited June 2008
    dudes, as long as you got hr wiki or the brother chaps, then you got no problem with making it not sound like a regular 3D cartoon.
  • edited June 2008
    SCGAP? Abbreviating an abbreviation? Is that supposed to be "Strong Cool Game Attractive People" or "StroCoGaAtPe" or something even more cool?
  • edited June 2008
    scuggap (sounds like a mumorperger :D )
Sign in to comment in this discussion.