Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway Hardcover Numbers

Comments

• edited June 2008
    dloeke wrote: »
    I see you've added me as #1063, but I'm really #1064. :D

Whoops. Thanks for letting me know.
  • edited June 2008
    i just recieved my copy (from Australia)
    i gots 690
  • edited June 2008
    I got mine today (New Zealand) I'm 1266
  • edited June 2008
    664, the number of the Devil's grandpa!
  • edited June 2008
    ezuli wrote: »
    664, the number of the Devil's grandpa!

Ha! If I get 666 I'll die laughing.
  • edited June 2008
    I got 843
  • edited June 2008
    my friend just received his copy now

#660 Klink
  • edited June 2008
    UK: 968. Awww right.
  • edited June 2008
    DSC00302.JPG

I had a dream the other night that I got number 201, I'm quite peeved off about it. Although that number has nothing of value it was the exact same dream about my winning lotto ticket
  • edited June 2008
    Aradiel wrote: »
    UK: 968. Awww right.

did customs try and get you
  • edited June 2008
    patters wrote: »
    did customs try and get you

I bloody hope not, I've already had to pay a small fortune on customs charge on my last thing from the US.
  • edited June 2008
    xChri5x wrote: »
    If I get 226 I'll freak out because I keep seeing that number everywhere. THE NUMBERS ARE BAD!!!
    I got 226, which is creepy because I see the number 22 everywhere, and 226 is the number on my address.
  • edited June 2008
    I received my #562 today.
  • edited June 2008
    I got mine today: #667.
  • edited June 2008
    Mine just arrived, #227 :)
  • edited June 2008
    t_mack wrote: »
    I got 226, which is creepy because I see the number 22 everywhere, and 226 is the number on my address.

226 is the adress I had growing up
  • edited June 2008
    After four months of waiting and paying $60 for the book + shipping and additional $23 they taxed me for an item purchased outside of Europe I finally got my book. Beeing one of those who preordered I thought I secured a high enough number for myself. No chance. Oy of 2500 books printed in total I got:

Telltale: This sucks! $83, all this waiting and all I get is No. 1225. Nice. I bet people who just bought the damn thing got 2XX. I am disapointed. If I knew from the start that this is how it's going to be, I would have never preordered it. I'm sure eBay will soon offer books with various numbers to choose from at similar price.

I thought the point of preordering was not only to secure a copy but also to secure a higher number. This wole number thing is a total and complete mess. If it wasn't possible to send out the numbers that correspond to orders, the books shouldn't be numbered in the first place. I'll certainly feel screwed if a guy who buys this today gets the 100th book. Or 200th, or 300th, or 400th ... Since all I got for my money and waiting was 1225.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    I thought the point of preordering was not only to secure a copy but also to secure a higher number.

I'm sorry you thought that and I'm sorry you're disappointed with the number. :(

The point of preordering was to secure a copy, period, as this is a limited run and we have no idea how quickly we'll sell through them. We knew that ensuring the numbers went out in the same order the preorders had been placed would be impossible, and we never promised it, but we did do our best to make sure that people who preordered would get their books from an earlier set in the series than people who didn't. (Notice no one's reported that they have a book in the high teens or 2000s yet? That's not a coincidence!)

The fact that Steve signed and numbered every single book makes them special. You have proof that your book is one of a 2,500 limited run that will never be reprinted! It also makes them more valuable, regardless of what the number is.
  • edited June 2008
    Yea well, as long as the book is selling ... I just feel cheated out of a higher number because of how poorly things were planned. It would be nice to have a list of orders and list of numbers so that people could actually see which number in line they had and what number they eventually got.

I know I wasn't the first one to order the book, but I sure wasn't the 1225th.
    The fact that Steve signed and numbered every single book makes them special. You have proof that your book is one of a 2,500 limited run that will never be reprinted! It also makes them more valuable, regardless of what the number is.

I know ... I know ... But then again I see people posting messages "I got mine TODAY! Number 234!". Mine had to travel all the way to Europe, and the number is fairly high. The order was shipped on the 14th so it must have been the first batch out, right? I guess mine just got picked from the wrong box. It is signed, it is special, but 2XX is still more special than 12XX. Heck... If I got the 1250 it would be perfectly fine. Nice and clean, right from the middle. But noooo ... I had to get the special number of 1225.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2008
    I placed three test orders before the book was even added to the store, meaning mine were the first three orders placed, and I got two books in the 600s and one in the 900s, if that makes you feel any better. I promise you, it's random. ;)
  • edited June 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    I promise you, it's random. ;)

Oh well ... as long as you promise :) Ok ... Now that I complained a bit, I can finally start convincing myself it really is special. If I was ever to sell it on eBay [which is HIGHLY unlikely] I would add something like this in description:

"Before you buy, you should know that the number is random and yet still special. Emily from Telltale team told me that herself" *screenshot from the forums here*

Ok, I'm off to enjoy my expensive book now. No matter what number you get, the pages are still the same, and everybody knows that what really matters is on the inside, right?

P.S. - The overall quality is SUPERB. The book looks, feels and smells nice. I'm really pleased with the quality of both paper and print. If I could wish for something more I would wish for a dust cover.
  • edited June 2008
    Morden wrote: »
    Oh well ... as long as you promise :) Ok ... Now that I complained a bit, I can finally start convincing myself it really is special. If I was ever to sell it on eBay [which is HIGHLY unlikely] I would add something like this in description:

"Before you buy, you should know that the number is random and yet still special. Emily from Telltale team told me that herself" *screenshot from the forums here*

Ok, I'm off to enjoy my expensive book now. No matter what number you get, the pages are still the same, and everybody knows that what really matters is on the inside, right?

P.S. - The overall quality is SUPERB. The book looks, feels and smells nice. I'm really pleased with the quality of both paper and print. If I could wish for something more I would wish for a dust cover.

you got the exact middle book that in its self is pretty cool
  • edited June 2008
    I got mine today and it's number 781!
  • edited June 2008
    Uk books are arriving!? I feel so cheated.. I want my book damnit! *sadness*
    It should arrive in the next week then i'm assuming.. i'll let you guys know when I get it. We tend to get shafted here in the north as stuff arrives in London and just.. sits there... for weeks. I have no idea what the hell the london sorting office and customs do with it. Maybe they're s&m fans lol.

I note the earliest numbers so far are mid 200s.. interesting.
  • edited June 2008
    I ordered another book and got #1 suckas. Boo hoo!

I'm appauled at the bitching in this thread.
  • edited June 2008
    you got the exact middle book that in its self is pretty cool

Last time I checked, 1225 x 2 was 2450, not 2500. It's not the "exact middle book" now is it? I even mentioned before that if I got the 1250 book, I'd be pleased.
    xChri5x wrote: »
    I ordered another book and got #1 suckas. Boo hoo! I'm appauled at the bitching in this thread.

First off, I didn't get the #1 book and if I did, you wouldn't hear a word of complaint. Second, if you're "appauled" by all the bitching, you're out of luck. It's my book, I bought it, I ordered it ages ago, it was NOT cheap and I got a number I'm not pleased with. If this somehow bothers you, I could not care less.
  • edited June 2008
    Last time I checked, 1225 x 2 was 2450, not 2500. It's not the "exact middle book" now is it? I even mentioned before that if I got the 1250 book, I'd be pleased.

sorry hangover equals misreading
  • edited June 2008
    I dunno what the big deal is about the number inside the book, to be honest, but if it's any consolation, you're the only person in the world with "1225" written inside their copy. That's got to count for something?
  • edited June 2008
    But noooo ... I had to get the special number of 1225.

Oh, boo hoo.
  • edited June 2008
  • edited June 2008
    I got 1193

It took 2 weeks to get here, and some weird £12.45 charge(What the?) but its finally here.
  • edited June 2008
    Kayaia wrote: »
    I got 1193

It took 2 weeks to get here, and some weird £12.45 charge(What the?) but its finally here.

customs vat and handling
  • edited June 2008
    customs vat and handling
    I'm starting to get the feeling that U.K. customs hate people.
  • edited June 2008
    Yea well, as long as the book is selling ... I just feel cheated out of a higher number because of how poorly things were planned. It would be nice to have a list of orders and list of numbers so that people could actually see which number in line they had and what number they eventually got.

I know I wasn't the first one to order the book, but I sure wasn't the 1225th.

I know ... I know ... But then again I see people posting messages "I got mine TODAY! Number 234!". Mine had to travel all the way to Europe, and the number is fairly high. The order was shipped on the 14th so it must have been the first batch out, right? I guess mine just got picked from the wrong box. It is signed, it is special, but 2XX is still more special than 12XX. Heck... If I got the 1250 it would be perfectly fine. Nice and clean, right from the middle. But noooo ... I had to get the special number of 1225.

But look at all the nice things that happened in 1225: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1225
  • edited June 2008
    I'm gonna go pick up my copy from the post office in a bit, I got slapped with a 16 quid fee which i'm not at all happy about. I'll be more than a little pissed if it's handling fees and customs, VAT pisses me off enough because it just seems so unfair we in the UK get such a massive 17.5% whopper in there (plus customs says that books are charged EITHER 0% or 17.5%.. wth? there's no rhyme or reason or explaination as to what will get stung)

The bitching about numbers, well... I'm not that fussed though I do have to admit, the shambles with the first couple of hundred is a bit of a joke. Not Telltales fault mind, it's the warehouse.
    I would have liked to have gotten a lower number because I preordered but that's the way it goes I suppose, seems Telltale don't have much control over their warehouse and the staff who appear to be opening boxes at random and sending them out. Perhaps next time guys, it might be worth the time and effort to send things this important out yourselves like you did with the case files. That way you ensure they get processed the way you intended instead of the random and chaotic shambles.
    That said, while people are getting books in the 1000 i'm yet to see any 2000. So it may be random but it seems to be only the boxes they can get to easily (i'm imagining the 2000's are at the bottom of a large stack hahaha)
  • edited June 2008
    i got number 1181...didn't i tell you people to get me number 1??

okay, actually....i didn't. :D i like it the way it is..
  • edited June 2008
    1035 here! I admit, i'm rather happy with that. I didn't want a random number but something that felt more... complete. 1035 is a nice complete number. I like 5's.

The book is beautiful, i'm pleased as punch despite the vat charge
  • edited June 2008
    Oh, and on the topic of customs and tax charges, the packages are labeled "Software made in USA". I don't know if this applies to tax fees by customs aswell but generally the tax for books is lower than tax for software. Not to mention labeling a package containing a book with "Software" is incorrect. It's not software. It's a book!
  • edited June 2008
    Believe me, as Emily has said several times, we've been on our warehouse's ass about that for almost two years now with no luck.
  • edited June 2008
    Get yourself another warehouse? One that gets the job done properly? *looking at the number list from this thread* I actually got the 2nd highest number up to date. I got 1225 and Shanks got 1266. This suck soooo bad. Thanks WAREHOUSE.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.