Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway Hardcover Numbers

Comments

• edited July 2008
    I have no self control, I had to get my grubby hands on those lovely lovely pages mwhahahaha
  • edited July 2008
  • edited July 2008
    I have 661. I was joking before I got it about getting an awesome number like 666 or 42. So damn close... :p
  • edited July 2008
    Why 42?
  • edited July 2008
    Why 42?

This is why.
  • edited July 2008
    Someone who doesn't understand the significance of 42!? call yourself a GEEK!?
    Lol

Ooo 661, isn't that the true number of the beast?
  • edited July 2008
    no, it was 616.. drat.. still.. pretty awesome.
  • edited July 2008
    Someone who doesn't understand the significance of 42!? call yourself a GEEK!?
    Lol

I'm a geek but not in the intelligent sense of the word.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm a geek but not in the intelligent sense of the word.

He didn't mean intelligent. Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
  • edited July 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    *high five's Breakman for his avatar*

*high-fives back* Actually, I'm female. Yea, my username and costume pretty much hides that fact, doesn't it? *shy*
  • edited July 2008
    Aha, I think I've seen a picture of you before then.
  • edited July 2008
    *reading new entries in this thread* Oh come ooon! Haha. What batch did my number come from, people? I am still waiting for someone, besides Shanks, to get a number higher than mine.

It's really fun to read what others say though:

"I don't know ... Somehow I don't care about the number at all ... Any number would be fine ... Yea ... I don't understand how someone could complain ... It's random after all ... and Telltale didn't promise anything ... The book in itself is special and dear to me ... I'm happy with what I got and you should be too! ... ... ... Oh and by the way, I got #237 ... But I would be just as happy if I got #2237 ... Then again, I didn't ... So yea ... Be happy with your numbers everyone!"

I'm almost certain that Telltale warehouse people come here and they have a blast reading this. "Hey! Check out this dude whining endlessly! Damn, it was so hard to get that #1225 book from the bottom of the pile, but reading this, it was totally worth it! Oh! Didn't we label his package "Software made in U.S." aswell? We did, didn't we! Oh man! *wiping tear* Good times!"
  • edited July 2008
    Morden wrote: »
    *reading new entries in this thread* Oh come ooon! Haha. What batch did my number come from, people? I am still waiting for someone, besides Shanks, to get a number higher than mine.

It's really fun to read what others say though:

"I don't know ... Somehow I don't care about the number at all ... Any number would be fine ... Yea ... I don't understand how someone could complain ... It's random after all ... and Telltale didn't promise anything ... The book in itself is special and dear to me ... I'm happy with what I got and you should be too! ... ... ... Oh and by the way, I got #237 ... But I would be just as happy if I got #2237 ... Then again, I didn't ... So yea ... Be happy with your numbers everyone!"

I'm almost certain that Telltale warehouse people come here and they have a blast reading this. "Hey! Check out this dude whining endlessly! Damn, it was so hard to get that #1225 book from the bottom of the pile, but reading this, it was totally worth it! Oh! Didn't we label his package "Software made in U.S." aswell? We did, didn't we! Oh man! *wiping tear* Good times!"
    It wasn't at the bottom of the pile, at least not that we can know for sure. This has been explained again and again, but it was because of a mix up in how the boxes got sent to the warehouse. I get that you're being sarcastic, but this is getting really old really fast.
  • edited July 2008
    I keep on whining because every time someone posts their number, it's somehow even lower. Seeing all the people who just recieved their books get numbers from the 2XX range doesn't really make me feel good about myself.

This, plus the fact that people who had something to say about my complaining either got lower numbers or didn't actually buy the thing. For all I know, I could get a higher number if I bought the book TODAY. I know that lower numbers have been reserved for the preorders but only so many people preordered and Telltale is still selling everything, right?

I'm just curious when will people start getting higher numbers, that's all. And the fact is, I'm stuck with what I have.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who got an equally high number and wasn't pleased with it. I'm not one of those who'll say "The number doesn't matter to me ... I'm pleased with whatever I get ... It's all good". I preordered, spend a ton of cash on it, wanted a high number and didn't get it. I got the exact opposite in fact. Apparently this makes me a loud jerk.

P.S. - Telltale did decide to number the books individually. In doing so, they must have known that this will make people want "good numbers". If the books were just autographed with no number on them, there would be no problem. If you put a number on a LIMITED EDITION you know what you're getting yourself into, right? Or at least you should know. Most people in here act all grown up about it and don't really care about the numbers [Yea, right ... Good one, Mr #2XX and Mr #3XX], well I do.

I know that Jake, Emily and others from Telltale team didn't send me this book, but it was Telltale who planned this whole thing with numbers, warehouses and the rest. Where am I supposed to complain if not here?
  • edited July 2008
    they could have at least opened the boxes with the lower numbers first, not the other way round...anyway, it's no use crying over shipped books.
    btw, morden, i hope you realise that your argument about how much you spent isn't really...valid. you didn't pay more, did you?
  • edited July 2008
    I got #637 and it took too fargin' long to get here.

So, to ocuppy me idle hands, I devised a plan to suicide bomb Telltale twice (three, if one of the attempts happens to fail). It's SO good, I actually was sad when the book arrived.

Then I brightened up at the idea that I could always save that plan for later, or maybe even secretly share it by means of this forum, so any other person could do it. I would just put a "Don't peek, Telltale" in the title and it'd be smooth going.

However, when I opened the book, all thoughts of revenge flew out of my head. I know Steve signed all books, but you could see there was something special in mine.

The way he so lovingly put that dot in whatever it was, you can tell he was thinking "This book is going to that Ima Silly Puss guy from Spain, or whatever, whom I never met and never will, but with whom I feel a certain special bond with, so I'll just take more time into fashioning this pre-printed signature on his book."

Thank you Steve, and thank you Telltale. I wept openly.

Cheers!
  • edited July 2008
    I wonder if there is anyone out there who got an equally high number and wasn't pleased with it. I'm not one of those who'll say "The number doesn't matter to me ... I'm pleased with whatever I get ... It's all good". I preordered, spend a ton of cash on it, wanted a high number and didn't get it. I got the exact opposite in fact. Apparently this makes me a loud jerk.

Well, yeah. Yeah it does.

Telltale's gone and republished a book that's been out of print for years. They've had new things added and had a limited edition hardcover copy made. And then they asked Steve Purcell to sign every copy of the hardcover version separately, adding the number which it was signed in in every one to make it more individual.

Telltale didn't need to do any of this. They could have published the book sans any signatures and numbers and charged the same price. They could have just not published the book at all.
    Either option would've saved you posting "I got number 1225 on my book god this sucks geez telltale it's like you don't even care about your fans booooo".

You've got a book you would have been paying upwards of £100 for a year ago. Complete with the artist's signature. So what's the problem?
  • edited July 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    He didn't mean intelligent. Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Oops my bad. Still, haven't read it like. Or even seen the movie.
  • edited July 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    You've got a book you would have been paying upwards of £100 for a year ago. Complete with the artist's signature. So what's the problem?

I thought I did axplain what the problem was, but I'll explain it again, just for you. I am really happy with the book itself. The hardcover edition is a comic of the highest quality. I am happy that I can read all of these stories and I didn't have to pay £100 on eBay [only $83].

To someone reading this thread it would seem that absolutely NOBODY [besides me] cares about the damn numbers. And I know Telltale said they won't be able to send out books with numbers corresponding to the order. However, they did say that people who preordered will get higher numbers, right?

In other words they DID have some power over what numbers are being sent. Or am I getting this whole thing wrong? So how many people have preordered? What's the highest number that someone got when they preordered the book? Since I got the 1225th book there had to be at least 1225 preorders, right [or 1266, including Shanks' number]?

Since preordered copies will have higher numbers than regular purchases, at what number is the line drawn? When Telltale said the preorders will have higher numbers I thought it will be in the 001 - 600 area. I mean, how many have preordered the book? I'm really curious.

Ok, forget it. I just make myself look worse by posting more about this and it seems like everyone is enjoying their numbers. For me it's a bit too much to have some people get 2XX books and some 1XXX books. It's just too big of a gap and it's totally unfair to the people who coughed up the cash first.
  • edited July 2008
    Oops my bad. Still, haven't read it like. Or even seen the movie.
    you should do that. now, run along, read all five books, watch the movie...the old bbc thing and the new one...come back and we'll call you a geek again...no, really, it's funny.;)
    I thought I did axplain what the problem was, but I'll explain it again, just for you.(...)
    The way it appears to me is, that Telltale did not excactly instruct their warehouse how to handle the numbers. Emily said something about this. So, they opened the boxes randomly. The first one contained numbers around 600-700. The next one was something over thousand, you and I probably got our books from that. Later orders seem to receive their copies from the box with 200+. What seems to annoy you is, that now a whole bunch of buyers, that probably ordered it later than you, get 200ish numbers. So it still is kind of random though. Unfortunate, but still somewhat fair, since which box you got your book from was in the hands of the warehouse. You should really try to get over it however. The more you complain about it, the more it bothers you.
  • edited July 2008
    I thought I did axplain what the problem was, but I'll explain it again, just for you.

Please do.

I still have no idea why you care so much about a number.

To someone reading this thread it would seem that absolutely NOBODY [besides me] cares about the damn numbers.

I wonder why.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Man, you got the number from the exact middle of the run and are complaining. So weird. I would have taken that one.
  • edited July 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Man, you got the number from the exact middle of the run and are complaining. So weird. I would have taken that one.

There are 2500 books officially. Unofficially there are two more, unsigned. I did say it once before since I got the "exact middle book" argument from someone else. But what the heck, let's do the math one more time.

What's 1225 times 2? It's 2450 ... Not 2500 or 2502. Like I said once before, I would have NOTHING against the #1250 [THE exact middle book] or even #1251 [the REAL exact middle book].

2500 divided by 2 = 1250
    2502 divided by 2 = 1251
    1225 times 2 = 2450

When the editions are numbered, the idea behind it is not to keep count but to make them special. Better the number, higher the value. If the numbers mean nothing to all of you guys, I'll be happy to swap my 1225 for a 1, 10, 100, 111, 200, 911, 666, 999, 777, 1000, 1111, 2222 or any other number concidered to be good. I'm sure none of you care about the numbers ... It's just silly old me who had high hopes when preordering and ended up with a completly random, high number with no significance whatsoever.

Badwolf: Nice choice of quotes you got there. I'm sorry if you have managed to miss the fact that numbers do increase the value. But I'm sure you're one of those who are equally happy whether they get the 100th limited edition or 1473rd. Good for you man. Wanna buy 1225th? It's special you know. It's kind of close to the exact middle one.

Seriously though, if I had another $83 to spend, I would order a hardcover today just to check what does your "preorders will get higher numbers" really mean.

P.S. - Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining because I didn't get a 1, 10 or a 100. It's just that getting 1225 by the privilage of preordeing is laugable by my standards. "Middle of the run" doesn't do it for me while others get 2XX just because someone didn't care to open the right box. 225 would be fine, 325 would be fine aswell ... 1225 is a joke. I can't see how you can say that those who preordered will get higher numbers and then ship out 12XX range to people who waited for months.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Haha you're right, I really don't know how count. I'm sorry for bringing that up again. I'd go jump off a bridge for you, but I'd probably get it wrong and land back on the sidewalk.

Anyway, the reason the books are numbered is so that you know that you have a one of a kind item, not a race to the bottom. You're right that there are a very small collection of specific numbers which are interesting or could have more value than others, but guess what, you were one person out of over a thousand who preordered the book. The books were apparently handed out by the warehouse nearly at random (with some preferences at certain points where you could tell they went through a few boxes in a row, before moving on to some other batch of numbers). If you're annoyed simply because you didn't beat the odds, that's hardly fair. If there was something I could do to improve your situation, I honestly would, but really there's not much I can do. You repeatedly bringing it up in this and other book threads, you leaving a snarky signature, etc etc, won't lower the number, and I don't think that your behavior is going to endear anyone enough to have them swap numbers with you.

You have one of only 2500 copies of that book that will ever be made. Again, I'm sorry you're disappointed that the number you got was lower than you wanted, but out of everyone in the world, you are one of 2500 people who will ever own it, and you have a hand numbered plate signed by Steve Purcell to guarantee that fact. That's a signed, numbered one-time printing.
  • edited July 2008
    Badwolf: Nice choice of quotes you got there. I'm sorry if you have managed to miss the fact that numbers do increase the value.

Which is funny because earlier in the thread, you said, and I quote
    "If I was ever to sell it on eBay [which is HIGHLY unlikely]..."
    Emphasis on the "HIGHLY unlikely".

So there we go, you're highly unlikely to sell it, you've already said you were happy with the feel and contents of the book, so again, what's the problem.

And I could compliment you on your equally fine choice of quotes. You managed to not even acknowledge the main point I made (that Telltale could just as easily not have done any of this and there wouldn't be any complaints from you).

But I'm sure you're one of those who are equally happy whether they get the 100th limited edition or 1473rd. Good for you man. Wanna buy 1225th?

You mean "one of those people who doesn't whine on internet forums over a number". You make it sound like that's a bad thing?
  • edited July 2008
    Badwolf wrote: »
    So there we go, you're highly unlikely to sell it, you've already said you were happy with the feel and contents of the book, so again, what's the problem.

I'm not even sure if I should bother explaining something you probably already know but won't or refuse acknowledge. People buy the collectables and limited editions mainly because of two things. They can profit by selling them later on or they can be really happy that they got something special. Right?

So even if I was never to sell my book, this doesn't stop me from wanting a better number for myself just so that I can feel good about it. If that's what rocks my boat, so be it.

So like I said, I feel it's a bit unfair for some to get the 2XX and 3XX range and some to get ridiculously high numbers. Keep in mind that there is still only one person who got a number higher than mine [and you don't hear him whining, I know].

But yea, tell me to shut up because I'm the only one who complained.

I don't know if Telltale can put together a total number of preorders but I would like to know what it was. I mean there has to be a range of numbers for those who preordered and then numbers for regular purchases.
  • edited July 2008
    But yea, tell me to shut up because I'm the only one who complained.

Well, not speaking for anyone else here, but I've got the idea by now. You got a high number, you're not happy with it. C'est la vie.
  • edited July 2008
    Coo'! I got 163.
  • edited July 2008
    In other words they DID have some power over what numbers are being sent. Or am I getting this whole thing wrong?

Yeah, you are.
    You see, this is the problem that people are having here. It's not that you're upset you got a larger number, we get that, it's just that Telltale didn't have any power over the numbers.
    Well, I suppose they could have withheld the book from release a little longer to make sure that all the boxes were at the warehouse and were being shipped off in the right order, but that's hardly a desirable solution.
  • edited July 2008
    Oh, for the love of...

I'm curious as to why nobody arseked THE question. So, I will.

Morden, what do you think should be done? As you can see, just complaining will get you nowhere, so provide us (the whole community, not just the Telltale staff) with a solution and we'll see what we can do to appease you.
  • edited July 2008
    What if telltale makes a list of all the people in chronological who bought the hardcover books and offer a trading service at comic con for those who got the wrong number through their telltale account and swap the books.By buying tickets for the stall to avoid a rush. This will solve the problem for all the Americans who bought it.Though this will only work for people who ordered through their telltale account.
  • edited July 2008
    Oh, for the love of...

I'm curious as to why nobody arseked THE question. So, I will.

Morden, what do you think should be done? As you can see, just complaining will get you nowhere, so provide us (the whole community, not just the Telltale staff) with a solution and we'll see what we can do to appease you.
    The same reason that people say we shouldn't try to come to peace with militants.
    We just kind of create this idea for ourselves where the person on the other side becomes not so much a person as an inhuman caricature. They become, in a sense, a presence for us to argue against and nothing more. We assume that nothing we could reasonably do would appease them, so we don't even try.
    (Sorry about the philosophical ramblings. Why do I get the feeling that people are going to get defensive about the whole thing, making an already pretty annoying argument even worse?)
    -Signed, a pretentious fool.
  • edited July 2008
    For international people who are willing to do trades and ordered through their telltale account telltale their could be a link on their page called Sam and Max hard cover swap program in which they will agree to tell their address and other details they filled most importantly hardcover number after which telltale will tell him that you were the (Insert number here) to give us an order we will now try to locate the user who has your number.After which they could talk about a deal to swap their hardcovers.
  • edited July 2008
    People all over this thread
    Join in
    Start a Love Train
    Love Train
  • edited July 2008
    What about my idea?
  • edited July 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    People all over this thread
    Join in
    Start a Love Train
    Love Train
    The 70's were weird.
  • edited July 2008
    For international people who are willing to do trades and ordered through their telltale account telltale their could be a link on their page called Sam and Max hard cover swap program in which they will agree to tell their address and other details they filled most importantly hardcover number after which telltale will tell him that you were the (Insert number here) to give us an order we will now try to locate the user who has your number.After which they could talk about a deal to swap their hardcovers.

So nobody liked the idea.
  • edited July 2008
    I don't see what swapping books would accomplish.

The number in the book is surely completely irrelevant. They're not there so you can say "Hey, look! I got one of the first 200!", they're there so you can say "Hey, look! No other copy of this book in the world has the same number as mine! It's unique!"
  • edited July 2008
    TrogLlama wrote: »
    The same reason that people say we shouldn't try to come to peace with militants.
    We just kind of create this idea for ourselves where the person on the other side becomes not so much a person as an inhuman caricature. They become, in a sense, a presence for us to argue against and nothing more. We assume that nothing we could reasonably do would appease them, so we don't even try.
    (Sorry about the philosophical ramblings. Why do I get the feeling that people are going to get defensive about the whole thing, making an already pretty annoying argument even worse?)
    -Signed, a pretentious fool.

Shh, I know what I'm doing. Don't try this at home.

Cheers!
  • edited July 2008
    What if telltale makes a list of all the people in chronological who bought the hardcover books and offer a trading service at comic con for those who got the wrong number through their telltale account and swap the books.By buying tickets for the stall to avoid a rush. This will solve the problem for all the Americans who bought it.Though this will only work for people who ordered through their telltale account.

You're a genious. I say, LET'S DO THIS!

But let's all get together and discuss it first.

Your idea has been approved. All will be taken care of.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.