When will Fables be released?

edited December 2012 in The Wolf Among Us
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/telltales-walking-dead-game-going-gold-soon-fables-planned-for-q3/
In related news, Connors also offered me an update on the progress of Telltale’s work on an adventure game adaptation of Bill Willingham’s Fables comic book series. It’s still very much happening and it’s actually a lot further along than you might think. The recent focus of Telltale’s press campaigning has not surprisingly been on The Walking Dead, but we’ll be seeing Fables very soon. In fact, the plan is to launch the game this year in Q3.

Expect to see Fables makes its first appearance at or around E3, with another look to follow, appropriately enough, at San Diego Comic-Con in July. Connors told me that there’s still some question as to what the title will be, as Fables fall close to a certain other, familiar franchise. The developer set Fables for a Q1 2012 release in an announcement early last year (via Joystiq), but it seems that those plans have changed.

Comments

• edited March 2012
    Makes sense. They're working on The Walking Dead for Q2, but the discussions in these forums seem to indicate that many of the team (e.g Mike Stemmle) are moving forward with development on Fables as well.

Hopefully we'll see it around September/October.
  • edited March 2012
    It seems like the Jurassic Park delay has fucked up Telltale's entire schedule. I know their original plan was this:

Jurassic Park in April.
    The Walking Dead in Fall 2011.
    Law and Order in 2011 (they never got more specific than that).
    Fables in Q1 2012.
    They never said anything about King's Quest, but I assume it would've been late 2012.

And now...

Jurassic Park came out in November.
    Law and Order came out in late December 2011 for iOS, just barely making the promised release year.
    The Walking Dead's been pushed back to winter, and now spring.
    Fables is coming out in Q3.
    And now it seems likely King's Quest will have to wait until 2013. :(
  • edited March 2012
    If Fable is later this year, I wouldn't count on King's Quest until 2013. And probably no mention of it at all until two weeks before they open pre-orders. :p

I get the impression that the final episode of Law & Order will be released before the end of the month.
  • edited March 2012
    Cool, I hope they make Fables into an actual adventure game.
  • edited June 2012
    Hmmm. So it looks like this didn't happen (E3).

Maybe delayed to next year? I can't see it coming out before Walking Dead finishes up.
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Hmmm. So it looks like this didn't happen (E3).

Maybe delayed to next year? I can't see it coming out before Walking Dead finishes up.
    The Walking Dead should be finished by September or October, if past Telltale Games releases are any indication. That would mean that the Fables episodes will most likely start before the end of the year.

Telltale has historically been more active at Comic-Con and Pax Prime. We'll likely see news about Fables (and maybe King's Quest) there. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Is this game still in the making?
  • edited July 2012
    I really hope so.
  • edited July 2012
    Do we know if their will be anything Fables related at Comic-Con?
  • edited August 2012
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Do we know if their will be anything Fables related at Comic-Con?

That's a given. They've been very quiet on that because they want to surprise us (in a good way). Hopefully by then they'll have a more concrete answer when the "When will it be launched?" question pops up from about two million places.
  • exoexo
    edited August 2012
    tbm1986 - you obviously don't know that comic-con already came and went back on July 18th-21st, did you?

And no, nothing about Fable was announced there.

So... not really much of a "given" is it?

You have no bloody clue what your talking about.
  • edited August 2012
    exo wrote: »
    tbm1986 - you obviously don't know that comic-con already came and went back on July 18th-21st, did you?

And no, nothing about Fable was announced there.

So... not really much of a "given" is it?

You have no bloody clue what your talking about.

Sorry, I got misread Comic-Con for PAX Prime. With that error in mind, I hope what I said makes sense.
  • edited September 2012
    Any news from PAX or something? I really want to know SOMETHING about this game.
  • edited September 2012
    nomecopies wrote: »
    Any news from PAX or something? I really want to know SOMETHING about this game.

I do hope so! It's all about Walking Dead, from what we've heard so far. I know it's their big franchise at the moment and they should be very proud of what they've done with it but Horror isn't my thing, Fantasy is.
  • edited September 2012
    It's almost official, Fable will be the next TT project coming out (see at 5:40):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxUEoxQZSRY

:D
  • edited September 2012
    Nice find!
  • edited September 2012
    I recently got those deluxe versions of the Fables comics..really enjoying them so I'm looking forward to the game
  • edited September 2012
    Did anyone here go to PAX Prime and get ANYTHING from TT about Fables?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2012
    tbm1986 wrote: »
    Did anyone here go to PAX Prime and get ANYTHING from TT about Fables?

I went to PAX Prime, and the official Telltale focus was definitely on The Walking Dead rather than any upcoming licences. I'm sure they'll get their turn though!
  • edited September 2012
    I think the fact that he states "they're ready to get going" (or words to that effect) means that we won't be seeing "Fables" this year, so it appears the "Walking Dead" delays have bumped it to 2013.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Very probable - but I'd even say early 2013. ;)
  • edited September 2012
    It would make sense to release the first epiosde of Fables directly after the final episode of Walking Dead so you can capture all those fans.. and get people into it while they would be hitting the Telltale web site .. even a trailer at the end of walking dead 5 episode would be a good idea
  • edited September 2012
    It would make sense to release the first epiosde of Fables directly after the final episode of Walking Dead so you can capture all those fans.. and get people into it while they would be hitting the Telltale web site .. even a trailer at the end of walking dead 5 episode would be a good idea

That would make sense, but it sounds like they won't have completed episode 1 before November. I think all we can hope for is a pre-Xmas teaser trailer and the hype machine to start around the same time.
  • edited October 2012
    Bill Willingham spoke a little about the game at NYCC. He didn't give a release date, or any other details. When asked if you would play as Biby, he said he knew the answer, but didn't want to give it away, bu thinted that this was the case.
    edited October 2012

They can't tack a full blown trailer on episode 5 as a video, because that would be too much to download; and they can't render it in the Fables engine, because that would be even more to download. ;)

But a hint or first picture, we've had that before at least in the ToMI-S&M3 transition. I think they might do something like that...

bunglebb wrote: »
    Bill Willingham spoke a little about the game at NYCC. He didn't give a release date, or any other details. When asked if you would play as Biby, he said he knew the answer, but didn't want to give it away, bu thinted that this was the case.

Welcome! We like people with this kind of info here. ;)
  • edited October 2012

wow, so many grammar issues.. sorry about that! I think I've grown accustomed to my iPhone just auto-correcting for me...

Vainamoinen, your avatar looks wizened.. could you tell me what TTG has done, historically? Have they waited until promotion for the physically collected version of a game dies down before sharing a release date for the next game? If the collected Walking Dead comes out in November, are you saying there might be a hint of what's to come leaked at that point? Is there a standard time between releases?

I'm new to TTG: dabbled in Jurassic and BttF, but am completely hooked on The Walking Dead.. and an avid avid avid reader of Fables...
  • edited October 2012
    I'm guessing early 2013 after TWD season 1 is released as retail in December. I can't wait for Fables!
    edited October 2012
    Vainamoinen, your avatar looks wizened.. could you tell me what TTG has done, historically? Have they waited until promotion for the physically collected version of a game dies down before sharing a release date for the next game? If the collected Walking Dead comes out in November, are you saying there might be a hint of what's to come leaked at that point? Is there a standard time between releases?

There is no standard time between releases.

Things are changing for Telltale, and I expect a lot of yesterday's things to not repeat. But I also think that they'd rather accelerate than slow down.

What I loved about earlier Telltale games was that any franchise could be suddenly announced and only three months later you could have the first episode. Times have changed - with the simultaneous announcement of several franchises at once in February 2010, some of which have not yet seen the light of day, Fables among them.

Then there was the plan to release episode 1 of Jurassic Park while the Back to the Future Season was still running - and they cancelled that idea only days from the intended release. So we really got mixed signals here about what Telltale wants to/can do, or what "traditions" were about to be changed.

I can imagine that a definite hint about the next game can be found at the end of TWD episode 5. TWD being a comic franchise just like Fables, it would fit to place it there. Even if there isn't, the first info for the next game will probably be out VERY soon. The TWD retail versions are a great bonus, but I doubt they'll be advertised to death while new and exciting things are afoot. Things are moving forward.

...also, I expect Mike to be VERY eager to finally open his mouth again about what he's been up to these last nine months. :D
    edited October 2012
    Telltale's hinting about Fables again (finally). It was reannounced at New York Comic Con this month, and Telltale tweeted a reminder that the game was in development around the same time. So, it shouldn't be long now.

Coincidentally, it's the 10th anniversary of Fables this year. It would be great to see the first episode come out in December in celebration. :)
    edited October 2012
    That at least settles which will be the next game. :o

And they should REALLY be going with their advertisements. This sub-forum is practically dead. Where's the action!?!
  • edited November 2012
    I think a December release for fables episode 1 wold be perfect..even if episode 2 came a few months later at least it would get everyone into the game over the holidays
  • edited November 2012
    Eh, not sure if it'll be that soon. They would have shown a screenshot or two as hints before it is released.
    edited November 2012
    Eh, not sure if it'll be that soon. They would have shown a screenshot or two as hints before it is released.

This would be true in any case if Telltale were a company with one release every year, but special circumstances apply to their their episodic concept. There might already be screenshots and even videos around for presentation, but they might be held back to not get in the way of the continuous release of The Walking Dead. I also don't think we'll have a first episode by December, but don't rule out the possibility too quickly.

The Wallace & Gromit Season concluded on July 29th, 2009;
    Tales of Monkey Island started 22 days earlier.

The announcement, however, had already been made and screenshots were shown.

If I really really had to guess, I'd say early March. ;)
  • edited November 2012
    They've been working on Fables for over a year though? You are telling me they haven't finished one episode??
    edited November 2012
    Sure. Concepts can go for any length before a programming stage is even remotely considered (see Beyond Good & Evil 2 for an extreme example).
    edited November 2012
    It takes a long time to create a game. Even more-so considering Telltale does multiple releases in a year, and they're still a medium sized company at only around 100 employees for the entire company.

If the process is still the same as it was when Jurassic Park was released, future projects are developed with a small team, and then when the current game has been released, some people split off to join the next project in the pipeline and other people split off to join other future projects.

I've never been involved in developing an episodic game, but judging from experience in helping to develop retail games (to which Telltale's overall seasons are comparable), depending when it's going to be released, it's likely either at the beta stage or the prototype stage now. I'm sure they have the season arc set in stone by now, and probably have the script for episode one done (or at the very least, mostly done). As far as the game itself, they probably have the basics up and running, like the engine, and some placeholder art (or maybe even some final or near-final art if they're only months away from release). Sound-wise, Jared's likely at least got some scratch tracks done for the music. If it's releasing in the next few months, he might even have recorded the final (or near-final) tracks by now.
    edited November 2012
    OH GOD if Jared can do TDP's music miracle again... and Fables has ample opportunity for some epic cross-genre tunes... this could be wonderful.

But I do think he probably hasn't yet started. TWD binds him in more capacities than just composer.
  • edited November 2012
    Mike Stemmle was on this forum a year ago talking about voice acting so I'd expect they'd be further along.. They have separate teams at Telltale too, so I don't think they would have been doing nothing for the last 12 months. They are separate to the walking dead team.
    edited November 2012
    Mike Stemmle was on this forum a year ago talking about voice acting so I'd expect they'd be further along.. They have separate teams at Telltale too, so I don't think they would have been doing nothing for the last 12 months. They are separate to the walking dead team.
    If you're referring to this thread, you're looking too far into it. It was a thread for fun, no different than if a regular fan posted it. He was talking about fan wishes for popular actors to liven things up in the forum. Nothing more, nothing less.

As far as how the team structure works at Telltale, like I said above, it was revealed during the time that Jurassic Park was in development that the team for a future project starts small and then grows once the current game finishes up.

As to why a game can still be in the prototype stage a year after it was announced to be in production, look at it this way: they have 100 employees (give or take), and they have 5 probable projects going on now (The Walking Dead, Fables, King's Quest, The Walking Dead Season Two, and Back to the Future Season Two). So, in the best case scenario, that's 20 people per team. However, the latest project (The Walking Dead) has more people on it (and so it should). So, if you figure that the current team has 40 people working on it, that leaves 15 people per team for the other projects. Now, when you consider that some of this staff includes the website developers, IT people, lawyers, business managers, and other non-gaming-related staff, that leaves the teams even smaller. So, you're probably looking at closer to 10 to 12 people per team for the future projects.
    edited November 2012
    Sooo... this is a mod thread right now? :cool:
Sign in to comment in this discussion.