Sam and Max: Surfin' the Highway Hardcover Numbers

Comments

• edited July 2008
    You're a genious. I say, LET'S DO THIS!

But let's all get together and discuss it first.

Your idea has been approved. All will be taken care of.

I just wanted feedback not sarcasm.
  • edited July 2008
    I just wanted feedback not sarcasm.
    And you got both! It's a two-for-one!
  • edited July 2008
    What if telltale makes a list of all the people in chronological who bought the hardcover books and offer a trading service at comic con for those who got the wrong number through their telltale account and swap the books.By buying tickets for the stall to avoid a rush. This will solve the problem for all the Americans who bought it.Though this will only work for people who ordered through their telltale account.

it seems to be a big burden for tt to do esp for being trivial. l mean, tt has to ship all the books to their office so that they can spend several hours, if not weeks to organize in order so that they can bring it to sdcc and then cross their fingers to see if anyone comes to their booth with their unopened copy, askin for a change.
  • edited July 2008
    I never posted in the forums but the quality of the hardcover was so awesome I had too.

I got number 679 aesthetically I like the curvy numbers, much nicer than the stick like 1.
  • edited July 2008
    I've got number 971

Everybody knows that's the best one :D

and it's all mine!!
  • edited July 2008
    What if telltale makes a list of all the people in chronological who bought the hardcover books and offer a trading service at comic con for those who got the wrong number through their telltale account and swap the books.By buying tickets for the stall to avoid a rush. This will solve the problem for all the Americans who bought it.Though this will only work for people who ordered through their telltale account.

You think people would actually do that? Esp. ones who actually got the low numbers?

Anyway to Morden, at least you got the book without a rediculous customs charge, I've still got God knows how long to wait and God knows how much extra to pay. I just want the baby.
  • edited July 2008
    Mordon> actually, I DO understand what you're pissed about, as I mentioned earlier with a little less bile. It's a shame tt didn't have as much control and that the earliest preorders were, for want of a better word, cheated out of their lower numbers. It's a shame but that's the way things go. You have a unique number after all. Hell, I got 1035 which given I ordered the hour the email was sent, is a little high. That said, i'm happy that i have a signed copy of Surfing the highway, it makes me happy.
    YES it's a shame that the lowest numbers were sent to tt instead of the warehouse, yes it's a shame the warehouse didn't appear to open box 201 to fill the early orders in the meantime (maybe they did? I dunno.. how many preorders were there? A lot i'm assuming... )
    BUT all this bitching and moaning wont change things. The moral of the story? You want something done right, do it yourself. (like the case files, lovingly put together by tt's own blistered hands) but that's hardly practical for the office.

I get that you're annoyed that after preordering, and presumably being one of the first 500 or so to do so, that you didn't get one of the first 500 books as we all presumed would be the case. BUT, I don't recall ever being told that we would definitely recieve one of the lowest numbers, mearly that we'd have a better chance of getting the lower numbers than those who didn't preorder.
    I'm sure the intention was to have the first 500 get the first 500 books but things didn't turn out that way. Oh well, life goes on. If it matters so so much to you, keep an eye out on Ebay and see if someone with a low number is selling theres for extortionate amounts.. OR, just rejoice in owning something beautiful and well made, signed by the artist and utterly unique.

Yeesh, this board has become hostile... i'm scared.
  • edited July 2008
    Harley> if you're in the UK expect to pay about 18 quid at most. I was 17.. several others were 14 or 16, I think it depends on how much you ordered. Mine was higher because I had the soft cover and Effigy Mound as well.
  • edited July 2008
    I hope Telltale learned a very important lesson here: Next time you do a limited run of anything number them all "0001". That way everybody will feel special.
  • edited July 2008
    Hi everyone, first post! (Been lurking for a while though!)

I got my hardcover sent to a friend in New Jersey (though I live in Malaysia) and it arrived last week or so. I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the lack of packaging -- I ordered the paperback, hardcover and Season 1 together, and they all came in the same box with no padding whatsoever. Luckily everything seems to be in pretty good condition, save for a few dents on the paperback corners. But still, a bit of bubble wrap would be nice for next time. :)

My hardcover is #139. Gotta admit that I would've liked 1234, or 777, or 2222, but other than that no complaints!
  • edited July 2008
    Wow, I can't believe how much griping there is over the number of the book people received. (I do get the issue about having to pay extra for mislabeled contents and taxes)

Does it really matter what number book you have? Each number is unique - book #20 is no more rare than book #2500. In fact, the fact that they weren't sent out in order means that any argument over "having one of the first books" in instantly elminated.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought the book because I love Sam & Max and thought it would be awesome to have a numbered edition signed by Steve Purcell himself. In fact, I was more disappointed with the fact that the signature was on a separate piece of paper that was affixed to the book rather than being part of the book itself. (Don't get me wrong, I also understand how insane it would have been to lock Steve in a room with 2500 books and a pen)

Anyway, I love my book and the fact that once they sell out, that's it - that signed run is over and I'll forever have a "collectible" item - I'll be the envy of millions of entertainment starved people out there - just like the owners of the other 2499 books.

For the record, I haven't taken mine out of it's plastic cocoon, because I bought a softcover to be my reading copy, but if the number on that slip of paper on the back is any indication, it's #933.
  • edited July 2008
    Harley> if you're in the UK expect to pay about 18 quid at most. I was 17.. several others were 14 or 16, I think it depends on how much you ordered. Mine was higher because I had the soft cover and Effigy Mound as well.

It's weird that when I ordered Effy Mound (I ordered that seperately) I didn't get a customs charge then. It's random.
  • edited July 2008
    no, it's less expensive. there usually is a certain amount you are allowed to import for free. the sketchbooks are probably below that border and the hardcover above, since it costs more than twice as much. also, customs officers tend to open heavier or bigger packages more often if they can't read the value on the sticker.
  • edited July 2008
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH thank you for explaining.
  • edited July 2008
    I think the misconception some folks have is that they believed they prordered the book to get a low number copy of STH.

Although there were hints that there might be some limited edition STH hardcover with a Purcell's signature, we, the consumers, did not know if all of them would have it, yet alone numbered. From the old blogs I read on this site, I would lead to believe that only a select few were signed and were probably given through internet contest; much like one of those Grickle(spell?) books. Furthermore, Telltale did the smart thing (either in case somethin like this would happen or if Purcell's signature was a last minute bonus, hence the reason that could have delayed the books) in that they did not say anythin about the numbered books until the hardcover were shipping.

So, for anyone who complained that they preordered the book to get a low numbered copy is not really true unless they knew beforehand by reading the staff of TT's minds.

It is like if you and a group of friends asked another friend named Bob to get you guys something at sdcc. He then returns to SDCC and gives you guys the stuff you asked for. In addition, he gives each of you a random figurine as a bonus. However, you are not happy with the bonus you get and demand Bob to exchange it with something else despite getting it for free.....
  • edited July 2008
    You think people would actually do that? Esp. ones who actually got the low numbers?

True. Also, how can TT keep track on who preordered or ordered the book online w/o spending at least several hours on it?

If such a suggestion ever happened, I can see how swapin books can be a problem. For instance, imagine buyn the book at SDCC and realizing that the booth person hands you a copy numbered 1. However, right after you(as in anyone) pay for the item, the same TT booth member realizes he/she gives you a low number and takes the book back. He/she then hands it to a person (who bought the book eariler on the tt site or at sdcc) who is swaping in a high number like 2324 and then hands you the other person's high number book that covered with donut and ice cream stains. That would suck even if you deserve the high number book. However, you don't deserve a used one for the price of a new one.

Also, who would be in their right mind to go all the way to SDCC, especially with the cost of the aftermarket prices, just to swap it for a low numbered book? Everyone loses in this situation, not just TT.
  • edited July 2008
    Morden wrote: »
    People buy the collectables and limited editions mainly because of two things. They can profit by selling them later on or they can be really happy that they got something special. Right?

But the thing was that we didn't knw the books were numbered until they shipped them. Sure, I bought the hardcover over the softcover because it is a collector's item, hence the cover. However, I didn't know they numbered it and I thought that was a nice touch even if it were number 2300 or 2345 or whatever. Having the number just makes my book unqiue and no, I won't swap with anyone with my opened book especially since I get attatched to stuff I received.
  • edited July 2008
    i'm not 100% sure, but i believe, by the time you could preorder the book, it was said to be signed and numbered.
    you are right however, that swapping the books now, would be nearly impossible. assigning numbers according to preorder date would have been nice, but it was said beforehand on the forums, that it won't be possible...at least not with a lot of extra efford.
  • edited July 2008
    And honestly would it be worth hassling the telltale crew with it? You should be thankful for this book! I'm still waiting :(
  • edited July 2008
    I got 555! I'm very happy about that!
  • edited July 2008
    I got #199 right here today! a really nice number which I wasnt expecting at all. So it seems that the misposted boxes has worked out slightly in my favour eh? specially seeing as I ended up having to cancel my order to put a different address on it.
    And, being in the UK, i didnt get a customs thing with it, though I think those turn up later... heres hoping that luck continues.

I just want to say thanks to everyone involved in this hardcover resurrection. The quality is absolutely amazing, and its something that Ill treasure for a long long time (from outside its anti-static bomb proof bag of course!).

right, now to read it without opening any pages past a 30º angle..
  • edited July 2008
    teflon wrote: »
    right, now to read it without opening any pages past a 30º angle..

My thought exactly.
  • edited July 2008
    Meh, I still need to order my copy to go with my brand-new animated series DVD set. <3 Thank god for my paycheck today.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm reading the soft cover while leaving the HC on display :)
  • edited July 2008
    patters has 217 in his possession
  • edited July 2008
    Bagge wrote: »
    I got 555! I'm very happy about that!

Max himself didn't really like those 555 numbers.
  • edited July 2008
    You got that right!
  • edited July 2008
    Quuux wrote: »
    I'm reading the soft cover while leaving the HC on display :)

sensible... if you can afford it.
    I buy single items from TT to try and sneak them under the import tax radar, which means I only bought the hard cover this time. Once Ive read through it once, though, I may buy a soft cover to read over and over again. Its an incredibly nice experience reading it partially because the pages are so thick and high quality!

something that should be experienced by everyone..
  • edited July 2008
    I got #112 yesterday which was a nice start to my 2 week holiday from work. Only had to pay around £13 on customs.
  • edited July 2008
    Got mine today, number 197 so people who ordered months and months ago may be peeved cos I ordered mine in May! I really want to open it but damn my geekish ways with also wanting it mint!
  • edited July 2008
    i though you want to read it? you're probably not going to sell it anyway, so why bother. it can become your new family heirloom...
  • edited July 2008
    I got it! I got it! :D

Number 280.
  • edited July 2008
    wisp wrote: »
    i though you want to read it? you're probably not going to sell it anyway, so why bother. it can become your new family heirloom...

I've got the soft cover so I've read it before, I do want to see Steve's auto and feel the pages... but I do tend to ruin everything I get lol
  • edited July 2008
    I was weak. I opened it.
  • edited July 2008
    Became the proud owner of No.111 today! :)

Well, I'm assuming that's the number? (etched on a piece of paper between the reverse of the book and the cellophane wrapping). I haven't actually opened it yet and I'm not sure I'm going to as I have one of the original paper-back prints.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    Yes, that's the number.
  • edited July 2008
    I'm number 188

I got my copy last week and was hit with a fortune in taxes and whatnot, had to pay 25% instead of 6% thanks to the package being marked up wrong. About $10 too much. Software? ... not OK.

Anyway, I like the paper, it really seems like high quality - is it acid free though? Anyone knows?
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2008
    hattasken, check your private messages. :)

Edit: v---You too, bpullen. ---v
  • edited July 2008
    Yeah, mine was marked as software too. Had to pay about £13 in customs/handling charges :(
  • edited July 2008
    After many adventures I will not bore you with here, I got 976!
    Quite a neat number if I say so myself. Turn it upside-down and... Wooo, it's almost the same! Hah! Hah! How much fun I've had with that number.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.