Will we have to read the comic book to get the most out of the game?

edited February 2013 in The Wolf Among Us
I learned about Telltale from their The Walking Dead game. I liked it so much that I then went on to play Sam and Max season 3 as well, which I loved as well. So I am totally on board for their next project, Fables.

Thing is, I´ve never read the comics, and I was wondering if I would be missing something by starting the game without any knowledge of the source material. For example, I remember the fifth episode of Sam and Max, which was chock full of references to previous episodes and old characters returning, but since I hadn´t played the other seasons it all fell kind of flat for me :confused:.

Well, that´s all. Looking forward to the game :D!

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Closest answer from Fables head honcho Mike:
    We're working REALLY hard to make the game NOT spoil the comics. In fact, the story we're telling is almost guaranteed not to spoil the comics. Make of that what you will :)

Personally, I find the first three volumes to be the perfect primers for what we're up to.

Mike "Writing Up a Storm" Stemmle
  • edited December 2012
    The comics are great, though. Do yourself a favor and read them anyway.
  • edited December 2012
    I'm only reading the Fables comics as the Deluxe volumes come out (5 so far, vol 6 is out in March), so I'm well behind the actual TPBs or single issues, but I reckon I've read enough to get a feel for the world and regular characters already.

But yeah, read a little bit at least before the game comes out :D
  • edited December 2012
    Well, you've convinced me. I'm reading the comics now, and they're awesome :D.

I'm on issue 25 now. I have to say, I liked the art style of the first issues better, but it's still cool.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm gonna start reading the comics now, only because TellTale is gonna make a game about it. Really looking forward to it!
    edited January 2013
    And THIS here is the SECOND post in the Fables forum in 2013.

Seriously, when will they start the hype? :confused:
  • edited January 2013
    I'm waiting for it, silently...
  • edited January 2013
    And THIS here is the SECOND post in the Fables forum in 2013.

Given the success that "TWD" has had - I get the sneaking suspicion that "Fables" will be pushed back again in favour of getting season two out first...
  • edited January 2013
    Weeksy wrote: »
    Given the success that "TWD" has had - I get the sneaking suspicion that "Fables" will be pushed back again in favour of getting season two out first...

Not really. In the last Playing Dead the folks at Telltale said that with TWD finished, all their efforts are going towards their next game, Fables.

Anyone else thinks it's funny that the King's Quest forum is livelier than the Fables forum, even though Fables is coming first?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Fabrimuch wrote: »
    Not really. In the last Playing Dead the folks at Telltale said that with TWD finished, all their efforts are going towards their next game, Fables.

Anyone else thinks it's funny that the King's Quest forum is livelier than the Fables forum, even though Fables is coming first?
    Not really. King's Quest is already a game series, so people came over to the game developer's forum to talk about it (and since it was a game series, the fans get their news from the game sites, so they knew it was announced).

Fables was never made into a game series. A lot of the fans of the comic probably don't even know about the upcoming Telltale game, and some of those that do know about the game are likely waiting for some preview material to get released first. The Telltale Games forum for The Walking Dead was pretty desolate too before art and footage started coming out.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2013
    Arsun97 wrote: »
    I'm gonna start reading the comics now, only because TellTale is gonna make a game about it. Really looking forward to it!

That's why I started reading them too. :D

Started on Book 1 of the Deluxe Edition recently, and already loving the characters and universe.
    Weeksy wrote: »

I don't think that's something to be concerned about. We're all getting pretty excited for Fables (not least of all me)!

I think the only possible answer to that right now is "later", or perhaps "when we're ready". ;)

If it helps at all, our first Fables-related tweet of the year went out today...
  • edited January 2013
    Why always Twitter? When will we, facebook users, be acknowledged :p ?
    edited January 2013
    Fabrimuch wrote: »
    Why always Twitter? When will we, facebook users, be acknowledged :p ?

I'll let you guys know as soon as we have a Facebook page up!
    edited January 2013
    Blog FTW. :o
    edited January 2013
    Blog FTW. :o

Ok, I guess we can update that too. ;)

And before someone asks for this one, we're also on Pinterest!
    edited February 2013
    OMG don't tell me you're also on instagram!
    edited February 2013
    OMG don't tell me you're also on instagram!

Damn, I knew I forgot one!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.