What exactly is Fables?

I have never read the comics but I'm a big fan of Telltale and I'm just wondering what the world is like and what could of genre it is.

At the moment I don't know how to react to it and whether I should be greatly anticipated or not.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited February 2013
    I don't know too much about it myself, but it's apparently about fairy tale characters living in modern times. Of course, they're...different from how you remember them.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2013
    The Fables world features characters from fairytales and folklore who have been exiled from their homeland. They now live in secret amongst the human (mundane or "mundy") inhabitants of modern-day New York City, in their own hidden enclave called Fabletown.

It's a dark and adult world (the first book in the comics deals with a murder investigation), and the characters are perhaps not quite as you would expect... Bigby (the Big Bad Wolf) is a chain-smoking detective, Snow White is a high-ranking official in the Fabletown government, and Prince Charming *ahem* gets AROUND.
  • edited March 2013
    So a fairy tale in a semi film noir setting? But modern as in present ('post-modern')? Or modern as in early 20th century setting (not 1930's/40's?)?
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited March 2013
    From having read the first three volumes since Telltale got me interested in seeing what the series was like, not all of the comics are noir really. I think each story arch takes on a different theme/motif. As I said, I have only read the early comics so far but I hear later on the comics take a more political tone.
  • edited March 2013
    Sounds really interesting...
    I think I will start to get excited about this!
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    BagginsKQ wrote: »
    So a fairy tale in a semi film noir setting? But modern as in present ('post-modern')? Or modern as in early 20th century setting (not 1930's/40's?)?
    It's set in present day New York City (and in rural upstate New York, where the characters who can't blend in live).
  • edited March 2013
    I'm on issue 7 now, and man i'm loving this! Really excited to read more.
  • edited March 2013
    Arsun97 wrote: »
    I'm on issue 7 now, and man i'm loving this! Really excited to read more.

It's so good - and the covers are absolutely amazing.

I bought the first 110 issues through Comixology when they had them for 0.99 each - read 'em all in 2 days...
  • edited March 2013
    The stories in Fables is sooo good! I'm addicted to it! If TellTale manage to make it nearly as good as the comics, it will be GOTY. I dont have words...
    edited March 2013
    Weeksy wrote: »
    It's so good - and the covers are absolutely amazing.

I bought the first 110 issues through Comixology when they had them for 0.99 each - read 'em all in 2 days...

It takes me AGES to get through them because I spend too long looking at the pictures. :p
    Arsun97 wrote: »
    The stories in Fables is sooo good! I'm addicted to it! If TellTale manage to make it nearly as good as the comics, it will be GOTY.

Haha, no pressure right? ;)
  • edited March 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    It takes me AGES to get through them because I spend too long looking at the pictures. :p

Haha, no pressure right? ;)

Hehe, not at all ;)
  • edited March 2013
    puzzlebox wrote: »

A couple of years ago, there was a book of the first 75 issues covers called.. "Covers" by James Jean - it's nearly impossible to find one at a decent price anymore, but if you can, it's an incredible collection.
  • edited March 2013
    Here's the thing; think of Once Upon a Time and Grimm combined switching all the lovey dovey with odd couple and monsters with wooden people.

I won't disagree about about the political piece. However, I can guarantee that Vol 1-11 is amazing. I heard the crossovers and some other issues aren't the greatest but I think this is a good series. There are some weak points but it strikes a nerve in a good way. I love questioning certain things done in the series.

I have been trying to get the cover book but $200! Here's to hoping I get a good boyfriend someday!

If you are a fan of Joss Whendon, I know people who consider this series close to the caliber of his.
  • edited March 2013
    holisk wrote: »
    Here's the thing; think of Once Upon a Time and Grimm combined switching all the lovey dovey with odd couple and monsters with wooden people.

I won't disagree about about the political piece. However, I can guarantee that Vol 1-11 is amazing. I heard the crossovers and some other issues aren't the greatest but I think this is a good series. There are some weak points but it strikes a nerve in a good way. I love questioning certain things done in the series.

I have been trying to get the cover book but $200! Here's to hoping I get a good boyfriend someday!

If you are a fan of Joss Whendon, I know people who consider this series close to the caliber of his.

Here you go: http://www.coop.com.au/bookshop/show/fables-covers-the-art-of-james-jean-vol-1-jean-james-willingham-bill/9781401215767/?gclid=CJuY2Lu1prYCFUXf4AoddT8Azw

$80 plus shipping.
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited March 2013
    The James Jean covers sport incredible stylistic variety and great compositions (low res gallery here), and Adam Hughes' "fairest" covers also bring the best out of the artist - while the art in the comics themselves really couldn't get me to buy a single issue yet. But anyway I bought the sketchbooks of artist Kim Jung-gi this month, so I am in no financial position to buy ANY art books for the next half year. :eek:
  • edited March 2013
    ?..while the art in the comics themselves really couldn't get me to buy a single issue yet.

I had the same thought when I started reading them - it definitely feels like a throwback to the late 80's in terms of art style, but the storylines are so good that it gives you that "One more issue" feel when you're reading them.
    edited April 2013
    PlayStation Universe just posted a quick Fables 101 for folks unfamiliar with the world.
  • edited April 2013
    Will I need to read any comics to play and understand this?
    edited April 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    Will I need to read any comics to play and understand this?

Not at all. It's set before the events in the first issue, so absolutely no prior knowledge is required to play the game, but there is a lot of neat stuff for people who know the existing storylines as well.
  • edited April 2013
    Cool cos a game based on a comic sounds fun.
  • edited May 2013
    So its nothing to do with the game Fable then..?
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited May 2013
    spanner wrote: »
    So its nothing to do with the game Fable then..?
    No. It's based on the comic book series Fables by Bill Willingham, which deals with fairy tale characters living in the modern world. It's not related to Fable at all.
  • edited May 2013
    Is there a tv show of this as well? I saw the beginning of some show a couple months ago where Snow White was treating all the dwarves like crap and it kept cutting back and forth to her in the modern day world.
  • edited May 2013
    You're thinking of Once Upon a Time, which is not connected with Fables besides sharing a similar concept of being a modern-day reinterpretation of fairy tales.
  • ProfanityProfanity Banned
    edited May 2013
    You're thinking of Once Upon a Time, which is not connected with Fables besides sharing a similar concept of being a modern-day reinterpretation of fairy tales.

It was supposed to be Fables, but they changed/exchanged/remodeled it to be Once Upon a Time.
  • edited May 2013
    Once Upon A Time and Fables are completely different beasts (although I do like them both)
  • edited July 2013
    I heard that Fables inspired Once Upon a Time and Grimm. Not sure how true that is, but it makes sense.

When I heard that Telltale was making a game based off the comics, I went out and got them. I had never heard of Fables until I got the announcement about this game so I read them. And let me tell you, they are excellent. I couldn't stop reading them and I became quite fond of each of the characters.

Trust me, if Telltale does justice by Fables as they have with The Walking Dead, we are certainly in for a huge treat.
  • NielsNiels Banned
    edited August 2013
    Well I never read the Comics , and i dont think theres a movie or tv series about this.. but i've read that its characters from fables and tales that come to a real world and are like real people.. dont know if its true.. but if it is.. its awesome.. the amount of games / stories they can create with that vast number of characters...

Btw , this game looks promising and i'm ansious to play it :D
  • edited August 2013
    Its true. Im caught up to about 102 issues in the regular series and almost caught up in Jack of Fables the spinoff as well as some others. The characters live in "our world" namely New York and do everything normal people do except grow old and die. I hope you're inspired to read it if you like comics.
  • NielsNiels Banned
    edited August 2013
    i would like to.. but my country dont sell those comics.. though they sound interesting..
    im very curious to see how this works.. i mean.. snow white , cinderella , beauty and beast , little red riding hood, etc..... in the same city .. if they are making the same story but in real world in real city , then its very cool... ( but probably im just thinking wrong )
  • edited August 2013
    Niels wrote: »
    i would like to.. but my country dont sell those comics.. though they sound interesting..
    im very curious to see how this works.. i mean.. snow white , cinderella , beauty and beast , little red riding hood, etc..... in the same city .. if they are making the same story but in real world in real city , then its very cool... ( but probably im just thinking wrong )
    I assure you that this story is a lovely experience. ;)
  • Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited August 2013
    It's kind of like a noir detective story where all of the Fables have their own complicated and intertwined motives. It's actually quite interesting.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.