Recommended Reading

Hi, I decided to do some homework and read some Fables before this game comes out. So far I've read the first three trades (arcs, really. The trades seem to do a great job of compiling storylines in easy to pick up morsels) and can say that I like it. There's another thread on this forum which breaks down every storyline and spoiler tags it all, bu I don't think that does a good job of answering one important question: What should we read?

Thus far, it's all good reading. My recommendation is for the first arc "Legends in Exile." This mystery manages to introduce the reader to the world of Fables and fit in a surprising amount of backstory.

What would you say is not only good reading, but important to the narrative/understanding the world/characters/whatever and recommend to others?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I've only read the first five trades. Loving it so far. Still, I'd also recommend the first volume because it seems the plot is similar to the plot of TWAU. (Murder mystery, Bigby being a lead investigator)

The further you get into the trades, one of the important things is Bigby and Snow's relationship. If you seem interested in this, I'd recommend reading volumes 2 and 5.

Lots of important characters and plot points are introduced/developed in the second volume, namely being Rose as well as the introduction of the Farm, where non-human fables stay.

Anyone who's read Wolves of the Heartland, it is recommended?
  • edited May 2013
    I heard negative things on the Wolves of the Heartland. Just looking at the forum for Fables and Amazon reviews kind of scared me. I will get it soon.

Hands down, everyone should attempt to get the first volume. It's only 10$ on Amazon and introduces you to the characters! Try not to fall in love with some of them as the writers pulls a George Martin at times.
  • edited May 2013
    One of my friends suggested reading until the beginning of Jack of Fables, because they didn't think too kindly of the spinoff. I haven't read too far yet, so I can't say if I agree with them yet or not. I've only read part of the first trade, as well as a promo issue I got at NYCC last year (Signed by Bill Willingham and everything-- he also signed my Cinderella pin-up poster!).

I'm really hoping to see a lot of the female characters, namely Snow White (mayor, Bigby's partner and love interest) and Cinderella (who is a spy in this series, I think). I really like how tough the women are, from what I've read.
  • edited May 2013
    What would you say is not only good reading, but important to the narrative/understanding the world/characters/whatever and recommend to others?

Outside of the complete run, "Legends In Exile" & "Animal Farm" definitely, along with "1001 Nights of Snowfall" & "Peter & Max: A Fables Novel". My favourite run of issues to date is Volume 6: "Homelands".
    Zeruis wrote: »
    The further you get into the trades, one of the important things is Bigby and Snow's relationship. If you seem interested in this, I'd recommend reading volumes 2 and 5.

Anyone who's read Wolves of the Heartland, it is recommended?

Grab Volume 19: "Snow White", I think you'd like it. "Werewolves of the Heartland" has a bad reputation for some unknown reason to me - it's just different. I can see why someone expecting a traditional "Fables" story could be upset, but as a stand alone "story - story" I liked it.
    medacris wrote: »
    One of my friends suggested reading until the beginning of Jack of Fables, because they didn't think too kindly of the spinoff. I haven't read too far yet, so I can't say if I agree with them yet or not. I've only read part of the first trade, as well as a promo issue I got at NYCC last year (Signed by Bill Willingham and everything-- he also signed my Cinderella pin-up poster!).

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of "Jack of Fables" either, but i wasn't a big fan of the character when he split from the main series - I actually like him in the series a lot more since "JoF" ended.
  • edited May 2013
    The fourth book "March of the Wooden Soldiers" is pretty solid too. Lots of action, if you thought the others were slow.
  • edited May 2013
    Update: I just read Homelands, which reveals the big bad and I don't like the series anymore. When I signed on, I thought this would be the story of something sinister and alien out to destroy the Fables. The Adversary, a figure that uses demihuman armies against the magical and civilized Fables, I assumed would be something similarly monstrous, maybe even Lovecraftian.

So after reading Homelands, I don't want to read any more. The story isn't what I thought I was getting into. I recommend Homelands - Boy Blue's arc is awesome in this one - but I probably won't read any more after this.
  • edited May 2013
    Update: I just read Homelands, which reveals the big bad and I don't like the series anymore. When I signed on, I thought this would be the story of something sinister and alien out to destroy the Fables. The Adversary, a figure that uses demihuman armies against the magical and civilized Fables, I assumed would be something similarly monstrous, maybe even Lovecraftian.

I thought the reveal of The Adversary was great - I didn't see it coming, and thought it was a great moment in the run.

I would strongly encourage you to keep reading - like any good story, "Fables" begins an entirely new chapter.
  • edited May 2013

So after reading Homelands, I don't want to read any more. The story isn't what I thought I was getting into. I recommend Homelands - Boy Blue's arc is awesome in this one - but I probably won't read any more after this.

Fun fact: The initial plan for the Adversary was to be Peter Pan. Ironically, Once Upon A Time decided to use that and now Fables probably won't use Peter Pan for anything now.

Anyway, yes Fables decided to reveal what supposed to their only major villain early. Yes this villain isn't that monstrous (minus his attitude). In a sense, I believe he is still a villain just plotting his revenge. However, I promise you that after the war with the Adversary a lot will happen. If you want something sinister, I would skip to the Great Fables Crossover and Dark Ages. You might have some confusion but action packed and definitely more monstrous.

There have been 3 other villains, one major and two minor. I believe there are plans to introduce a new one soon as a new arc is starting in July (next month is a one shot issue).
  • edited May 2013
    holisk wrote: »
    If you want something sinister, I would skip to the Great Fables Crossover and Dark Ages.

Is Great Fables Crossover really worth reading? I've heard of it being more of a Jack of Fables book than an actual continuation of the story.
  • edited May 2013
    I only recommend it if someone wants to see life after the Adversary. It is kind of Jack of Fables but less Jack.

However, if you are wary of Jack of Fables, I would start with the Dark Ages then.
  • edited July 2013
    Zeruis wrote: »
    Is Great Fables Crossover really worth reading? I've heard of it being more of a Jack of Fables book than an actual continuation of the story.

No, it's one of the lowest points of the entire series. The only lower point really was the Jack books after the crossover the ending is awful.
  • edited July 2013
    Weeksy wrote: »
    "Werewolves of the Heartland" has a bad reputation for some unknown reason to me - it's just different.

I don't think it was bad. But I don't think it's quite as good as most of the regular Fables arcs. But then, "Werewolves in the Heartland" hasn't had years of build-up either. And if you're looking for more Bigby, it's a decent enough one-shot story that offers up a little more insight into his background.
    The fourth book "March of the Wooden Soldiers" is pretty solid too. Lots of action, if you thought the others were slow.

"March of the Wooden Soldiers" is definitely where it starts to heat up IMO.

"The Mean Seasons," "Wolves," "Sons of the Empire," and "Cubs in Toyland" also offer some pretty good Bigby stuff. And "War and Pieces" has a pretty epic conclusion to the long-running Adversary arc.

I don't see it mentioned yet, so I'll also point out that if you're looking for more Fables, you might want to check out the latest spin-off series, Fairest. With this one, they seem to be focusing on more one-off stories that don't fit into the main Fables storyline. I've read the first volume, and so far, it's pretty good.

If you're looking for other reading material that's similar to Fables but not Fables, the Fabletown and Beyond convention categorized it as "mythic fiction," along with: Sandman, The Unwritten, Bone, Kill Shakespeare, Mice Templar, Stuff of Legend, Memorial, Fairest, The Abominable Charles Christopher, Mouse Guard, Hellboy, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Arrowsmith, House of Mystery, and Castle Waiting.

There's a lot on that list that I haven't personally read yet. But Stuff of Legend is pretty good. And I really can't say enough good things about Mouse Guard. And now that I'm thinking about it, if anyone from Telltale is reading this, please make a Mouse Guard video game.

That strikes me as an odd reaction. To me, the person who turned out to be the Adversary was way better than just the same boring faceless ancient evil that gets trotted out in every fantasy story. The fact that it turns out to be someone you wouldn't expect is part of what makes it so great. But at the same time, you can kind of understand how he got to that point. I would recommend sticking with it, because there is some excellent stuff still to come after "Homelands." But hey, to each their own.
    holisk wrote: »
    There have been 3 other villains, one major and two minor. I believe there are plans to introduce a new one soon as a new arc is starting in July (next month is a one shot issue).

It seems like they've been consciously moving away from having the series center completely around Bigby, Snow, and the Adversary and trying to flesh out other parts of the world for a while now. I love the way that as soon as one character steps up as the super-awesome hero, that character will be sidelined, and the focus will shift onto some other character you'd never expect. Plus they've been adding stuff outside of the Adversary story like Mr. Dark, the whole matter of the cubs and the North Wind's successor, and Bufkin's adventures in Oz. There definitely seems to be a focus on making sure readers know that this story is about the whole Fables universe, not just one or two specific characters who inhabit it.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.