Does anyone think that this game will come anywhere near to The Walking Dead?

edited June 2013 in The Wolf Among Us
I'd LOVE to see another game like The Walking Dead. I can safely say that this is the only game where I've felt emotionally responsible for a virtual character that doesn't even exist. Feeling like everything you say or do would influence that poor innocent little girl.

Now my question to you is :-

Do you think you will feel as emotionally involved with these charactes as much as you were to the likes of Clementine, Carley and Kenny?

Especially considering you grew up with the likes of Cinderella as a sweet innocent girl with a terrible Aunt and screwed up cousins. Instead now shes using her looks and figure to exploit information as a spy. You grew up with Prince Charming as a polite true gentleman. Now he's a womanising cheater.

I LOVE the idea but do you think it will put you through all the emotions you had as much as The Walking Dead did?

Just wanted to know all your opinions as Telltale has got me excited for every game they release after playing such a tremendous game!

Comments

• edited May 2013
    As a fan of the Fables comic series, Im already emotionally invested in the characters. I dont see why they cant just as good a job on this title, with the added information of knowing what worked and didnt work for the WD game. And maybe its not even meant to put people through an emotional ringer but just be a fun and interesting game.
  • edited May 2013
    I don't know, but The Walking Dead surprised me so much that right now my attitude is "cautiously optimistic".
  • edited May 2013
    I think so, but don't expect the same thing at all.

As somebody who's been slightly hard on The Walking Dead (Telltale sets their bar impossibly high), I should say: don't assume that's bad. The company goes out of their way to make the games feel appropriate to the franchises.

However, if I remember the books right (it's been a long, long time), Fables is another morality and dialogue driven drama, so there's likely to still be similar mechanics. Just don't expect it to be the same "constant dying and tears."

But they do write characters well, regardless of setting. I recently replayed Back To The Future and forgot how much that tugs at the heartstrings. You wind up feeling bad for even Edna, the villain. Seeing her old and lonely is depressing.

Bottom line: It'll be notably different, but emotional attachment is something you'll be able to count on.

And if it helps, the game'll probably still resemble TWD much more than the puzzle-adventure games, anyway.
  • edited May 2013
    I have never really liked Zombies but I kind of like Fantasy-modern...

This could be a lot better...
  • edited May 2013
    As many have said, TWAU will help you heighten your investment towards the comic characters.

This is different from TWD, which had a whole cast of new characters not shown in the comics.

I'm not a huge fan of Bigby in the comics, so I at least hope that the game will get me to like him a bit better.
  • edited May 2013
    I dont think so , i think this is going to more of an action packed game instead of a drama game
  • edited May 2013
    I personally think all players will establish a connection with Fables. For the comic fans, they will have the added benefits of knowing what will happen to some characters since this is a prequel. If Telltale plays their cards right, fans will buy the comics (which will be a big investment as the series is currently on issue 129 this month).

Yes, this is different than what people are used. That's part of the reason why I fell for the series.

I think Telltale will stay true to the series as it was mentioned in the Gameinformer article , they studied all the issues. I am sure we will see the hopefully blooming Snow and Bigby. I am secretly hoping for a Cinderella centric episode.
  • edited May 2013
    holisk wrote: »
    For the comic fans, they will have the added benefits of knowing what will happen to some characters since this is a prequel.

I don't know much about the story for Fables, would this be a good thing or a bad thing? I'm just trying to get a feel for whether I should read them or play the game first since it is a prequel.
  • edited May 2013
    They're designing the game in a way that you'll be able to play and enjoy it without knowing anything else about Fables. However, if you do know about Fables, you'll have some idea about where things are going, and that might make things even more interesting when they appear to be headed in the wrong direction. It's up to you if you think it's worth the time and $$ investment to read Fables for this reason.

(There's a famous musical in the U.S. called 1776, which is about the activities in the months before the Declaration of Independence came to be signed, splitting the U.S. from English rule. Everybody knows how it turns out, but what makes it interesting is that leading up to July 4, everything seems to point to the resolution being certain to fail. It probably wouldn't be as interesting if you didn't know what happened in the end.)
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited May 2013
    Jspiteri wrote: »
    Do you think you will feel as emotionally involved with these charactes as much as you were to the likes of Clementine, Carley and Kenny? [...] I LOVE the idea but do you think it will put you through all the emotions you had as much as The Walking Dead did?

The Walking Dead and Fables are vastly different franchises. The key difference I see is that The Walking Dead is all about a continuous life and death struggle. Character motivations are plain as day, because there's only ever one and that's survival. You can flesh out characters somewhat, but you can't really make them complex. Their past before the zombie apocalypse is completely irrelevant, their present is all about the single thing they want and their future does not exist. Telltale had Lee Everett set up as quite an interesting character with some backstory - and ended up not using it. Lee's a murderer, but seriously, who isn't in the zombie apocalypse?

Now if that kind of raw emotion speaks most to you - which is a great thing of course - then Fables will probably not reach quite the level of intensity TWD had for you.

However, the possibility for more complex characters with backstories that matter, diversified motivations and contradicting emotions, for convoluted, mysterious story arcs and surprising plot twists WILL make Fables the better narrative. The risk that some characters get killed will probably remain, but I personally believe you're a bit more ready to emotionally invest in relationships if you're NOT sure that any conversation partner is probably killed ten minutes after you talk to him/her.

For me, Telltale played their cards just fine for TWD. But narrative-wise, they were just playing with four. Now they get a full deck. That might really make a difference for many players.
  • edited May 2013
    I'll try this out without reading the comics- when source material doesnt carry over well into another media, I get all nit picky and life is too short- I want to speak on subjects without any background info or knowledge whatsoever- those people seem happier in life :)
  • edited June 2013
    Never
  • edited June 2013
    I have faith in TTG to make TWAU just as or even more amazing than TWD. Awesome writers can come out with awesome story-based games.
    edited June 2013
    Impressive praise from someone with a TWD-geared user name. ;)
  • edited June 2013
    If i buy TWAU its going to be after TWD S2 and DLC cause im kinda low on cash and wanna make sure i have enough for TWD S2 also im buying Mass effect 1 so yeah
  • edited June 2013
    Impressive praise from someone with a TWD-geared user name. ;)

you can't really tell what season 2 I'm specifically waiting for. I could be waiting for BTTF season 2 or JP season 2 ;)
    edited June 2013
    you can't really tell what season 2 I'm specifically waiting for. I could be waiting for BTTF season 2 or JP season 2 ;)

Heck, you could possibly not even wait for anything, but just try to nag Sam & Max Season 2 out of someone. Or maybe you want "Firefly" to return! :D :D
  • edited June 2013
    He could be really optimistic and be clamoring for Fables Season 2 already!
  • edited June 2013
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    He could be really optimistic and be clamoring for Fables Season 2 already!

That would be nice. :)

At least we might already have a movie! I am sure the success (or failure) of the game will have an impact on the movie!
  • edited June 2013
    Or maybe hes wating for Kings quest season 2 ;) haha
    edited June 2013
    Tomi021 wrote: »
    Or maybe hes wating for Kings quest season 2 ;) haha

You might not be aware, but your user name suggests yet another option. :o

Anyway, back to topic??
  • edited June 2013
    Hahah youre right just saw that but yes back to topic :D
  • As much as I love TWD, I'm ready for a new gaming experience. I'm interested in playing the game and reading the comics.

• I think it will be better. From the information I have been reading through the twitter. There is will much more choices then in the walking dead. For example, while fighting a guy. You can either hurl him against the bed or throw him out the window. I'm informed there are a ton more choices and they do matter, if you make a choice or no choice.

To my understanding. They improved the system they already have. Which is great at long as they keep the moral choice system. I'll be fine. I like the idea of interacting when you fight someone. It reminds me of Heavy Rain when you had to press buttons as you move or you ended up tripping and falling. I'm told it would be something like that.

The only question. Will it be able to reach the emotional level that the walking dead. Will is be a choice system based on fighting styles or moral choices or both. The more I hear about this game. It looks polished fairly well. I have confidence in it.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.