So, what can *we* do to help?

edited November 2004 in General Chat
Hi Telltale,

As you'll have seen from reaction around the web, there are many, many groups of people who are very happy to see the legacy of LucasArts adventures being continued by its alumni (both Telltale and Autumn Moon, and to a lesser extent Pileated).

While the Sam & Max 2 cancellation hubbub was in full swing, you'll have noticed plenty of people who were willing to pre-pay for the game to prove it was viable and ensure money in the bank for LEC.

So, I'm wondering if there's anything we, the casual punter and rabid fan could do to assist Telltale? I see there's cafepress merchandise on the homepage now - cool, but how about something with your caveman? The Telltale logo on its own is a bit nondescript.

I can't speak for others, but if you need a top-up cash injection outside of your corporate funding drive, I'd happily pre-pay or part-pre-pay for a game that's still up to a year away and/or pay a subscription fee that would give small exclusives or pre-release tastes of your products. And I'd wager a lot of other LEC adventure fans would think the same way.

Forgetting all that, outside of us fans parting with our hard earned money, is there anything else we can do on your behalf to make your job easier?

Comments

• edited October 2004
    i would do the same!
    and that a realy good idea, i'd would even invest in some sort of stock
  • edited October 2004
    Me too. Vegetable Stock.
  • edited October 2004
    Forgetting all that, outside of us fans parting with our hard earned money, is there anything else we can do on your behalf to make your job easier?

Nope, just parting with your hard earned money should be fine. Heh heh, only kidding. Just keep doing what you're doing, namely giving feedback and suggestions when you have them! I always really appreciate everyone's comments, especially when they're of the form, "You're so cool," or "You're so great," or "I want to give you a billion dollars."
  • edited October 2004
    Brendan, you're just so cool and great, I want to give you a billion dollars!
  • edited October 2004
    You're so cool.
    You're so great.
    I want to play Sam&Max 2
    I maybe want to give you 80 Bucks ;)
  • edited October 2004
    if you made a sam and max game i'd steal a million dollars and give it to you..does that count?

but seriously i think online distribution of your games is a great idea..that way the online support that was evident during LucasArts diabolical cancellation of sam and max can show their full support for telltale!!
  • edited October 2004
    Tell Tale games RoXors!
  • edited October 2004
    I don't think online distribution is a good idea. You're forgeting us 56k fans.
  • edited October 2004
    Online distribution is a good idea in theory, less overheads, cutting out the middleman, it should mean more return to the developers and a lower price for the consumers.

But am I the only guy who likes to have a box?
  • edited October 2004
    I don't think online distribution is a good idea. You're forgeting us 56k fans.

Online distribution is fine, but it can't be the only way to purchase. (I'm a 56ker too).
  • edited October 2004
    they could always have an online distribution..and the alternative with a box etc costing more money...
  • edited October 2004
    I am running 56k on a MAC for god’s sake. Stop complaining.
  • edited October 2004
    Put up a hoodie on your list of schwag, and I'm all yours. :)
  • edited October 2004
    I'm an overseas 56K modem user from Australia, and I have no problem with downloading large files from the internet - I just use getright or similar proprietory system, like fileplanet uses ( I subscribe to gamespy and gamespot)

500MB only takes about a week of leaving your computer going while you sleep - and lets be serious here: A week is not a problematic distribution time - its at most a few days longer than the very fastest postage. But more importantly - it can be months *shorter* than the slowest postage!

To cater for those who desire physical package goodness, I suggest that Telltale have their game cover illustrations available on CafePress as lunchbox graphics, and voila, an instant game box! :)

On a more serious note, if enough games companies (and there are lots trying to avoid packaging) suggested that Cafepress (or similar company) add a "two piece box" piece of merchandise to their list of products, then everyone would be happy.

my 2 cents.
  • edited October 2004
    To cater for those who desire physical package goodness, I suggest that Telltale have their game cover illustrations available on CafePress as lunchbox graphics, and voila, an instant game box! :)

On a more serious note, if enough games companies (and there are lots trying to avoid packaging) suggested that Cafepress (or similar company) add a "two piece box" piece of merchandise to their list of products, then everyone would be happy.

my 2 cents.

Good call - though it can be simpler than cafepress - one of those newfangled empty DVD cases that can be bought at any computer / stationary store and a 300dpi sleeve JPG you can print and cut out for the case. Easy.
  • edited October 2004
    online distribution is an awful idea for a full game but excellent for add on material as long as the price/content ratio is ok and EA eh sorry i meant rip of
  • edited October 2004
    ah double post , sorry for that, forgot to put a "not" before "Ea" on my post and i couldn't find how to edit the post
  • edited October 2004
    ah double post , sorry for that, forgot to put a "not" before "Ea" on my post and i couldn't find how to edit the post

I missed it too for several days. It's the edit.gif icon in the top left corner of your posts.
  • edited October 2004
    to get back on topic,

I've already bought a sticker with the telltalegames logo.
    I'll be buying a T-shirt at the end of the month.

to get back to the previous subject, i think on-line distribution is a great idea but it has it's drawbacks. such as the 56k'rs
    there should be an alternate method, maybe have a choice to have the game shipped or to download.
  • edited October 2004
    Thanks Jp. By the way are you the same Jp from lucasforums?
  • edited November 2004
    to get back on topic,

I've already bought a sticker with the telltalegames logo.
    I'll be buying a T-shirt at the end of the month.

to get back to the previous subject, i think on-line distribution is a great idea but it has it's drawbacks. such as the 56k'rs
    there should be an alternate method, maybe have a choice to have the game shipped or to download.

Having both methods would probably nullify the whole 'saving costs' value though...

I'm sure 56k people could cope- I did- for 9 whole years- almost 10, in fact (only jumped on ADSL 2 months ago, when it was enabled in my area)....so yeah...

I think while it'd be great to make it just a download system, as you said, they'd need to ship games in physical form, since this way they'd probably receive the best sales....but ideally, online downloads would be the best...
  • edited November 2004
    or the 56k people could just get a friend to download it for them
  • edited November 2004
    There's just something about a physical game that you can go out and buy that makes me think that the whole online distribution won't work that well if it's the only option; but it definitly should exist.
  • edited November 2004
    I SO would have pre-paid for SEVERAL copies of Sam and Max 2. Since i've owned an internet cafe (last 3 years) ive been waiting for a TOP adventure game to come out so i could 1: play it and 2: put copies of it on my business PCs for customers to play. I did buy a copy of Grim Fandango for 1 PC and lots of people spent hours to pass it... Then unfortunately the CD2 became scratched and after i couldnt fix it we deleted the game.. i may buy it again soon to put back on for those who missed out... it would run nicely on the new computers we've got...

anyway... i was basically wanting to make the point that i would have PREPAID for about 5 or 6 copies had i thought it was required...

GoT
This discussion has been closed.