I wish this wasn't a confirmed prequel

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

Prequels have a huge weakness in that we can anticipate or predict a lot of things based on the original source material. For example, we have all pretty much established that Snow will come back to life/is not dead and that Wolf will not develop any romantic interests, since he ends up together with Snow. We can also pretty much cross off Bluebeard as the killer, since he is not arrested in the comic. (I think someone is trying to frame him, by the way, seeing as the beheading fits too perfectly into his fairy tale. I also think he hired the reporters to investigate who is framing him. He probably has Crane on his side too.)

Anyways, had this been an adaptation or retelling, then the plot could have been even more interesting. For example, we would be genuinely shocked that Snow might actually be dead...etc.

Comments

• I don't know. In the beginning, I thought there might be a little romance between Bigby and Faith. Yes, we know that he eventually ends up with Snow, but that doesn't necessarily mean he never had any relationships with anyone else before her.

Bluebeard may be somehow involved and just manages to protect himself well enough that he doesn't get caught. I kind of doubt it, since it would be a pretty unsatisfying ending. But then, if Snow really is dead, then they're going to have to do something to make the story fit with the comic book continuity anyway. So maybe he is the killer, and whatever it is that undoes Snow's death also undoes Faith's murder. Again, I don't know if that's particularly likely, but it's a possibility.

Admittedly, I thought the impact of the ending was somewhat weakened by the fact that we know that Snow isn't dead in the comics. But it did leave me interested in finding out what's going on. She may not be dead, but the fact that there's a severed head that looks just like her outside the Woodlands is still a pretty intriguing mystery in itself. Because now the question is, if she's not dead, then what the heck is going on with Snow?

So I wouldn't say it's that much of a weakness. Just because it's a prequel doesn't mean there aren't plenty of surprises still in store for us.

• I totally agree with you, OP.

As a Fables reader, I have another weird observation. I kind of wish that the protagonist was an original character instead of Bigby. In TWD, I felt immersed because I felt like I was shaping Lee's personality. In TWAU, when faced with a decision, I find myself imagining what Bigby would say in the comics and choosing accordingly. I'm in control of Bigby, but I don't feel like I'm shaping his character like I felt like with Lee.

• I really agree! While I find the gameplay (fight scenes especially) a serious step up from TWD I feel a little detached as I know Bigby so well. But I'm sure Telltale have a few tricks up their sleeve with this narrative in the upcoming episodes :)

mosfet posted: »

I totally agree with you, OP. As a Fables reader, I have another weird observation. I kind of wish that the protagonist was an original cha

• I get your point but what else could they have done that wouldn't mess with the continuity of the comics that are still going on? The only thing is follow characters that have no story in the comics. I prefer this. I might already know some things that are going to happen but that doesn't make the ride any less fun for me.

• While death of certain characters that we know are alive in the comics will be predictable, everything else shouldn't be. A lot could have happened from that time to the time of the comics and people who fucked up badly or did things we had no idea about could have jumped into the positions they're in in the comics through various ways we might not expect.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.