Some part weren't well taken care of

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

I've completed Episode 1 twice for now. And it's the part where you have to choose to either go to Mr.Toad or Lawrence's apartment first

At first, I chose Mr.Toad. The investigation seems a little bit (just a little bit) cranky 'cause you can easily know Toad was hiding something from the start. And even then, when you got all the evidences and pointed out that he was lying, well, the kid and Snow just suddenly showed up and the truth was revealed ( I kinda expected Toad to admit it to my face, as a reward for my "dectective" work ). The scence when his head started bleeding out of the blue (after looking so normal beforehand) was not so well satisfied either. But afterall, things went pretty smoothly, though. I got Faith's note. I came to Lawrence too late and found him dead. I chased down Dee, and he told me about the bar.

The second playthrough is what really bother me. I came to Lawrence first. He tried to commit suicide but a bullet in his Fable's lung wasn't enough. I told him his wife was dead, asked him to tell me anything that would help. He said "fucking Georgie (the name, I'm not so sure)". Oh yeah, fucking Georgie!!! And right when I asked him who that guy would be, Dee interrupted. Snow had a brilliant idea of playing fake dead, hide-and-seek game. I was not so patient, so I waited about 30 sec and then popped out, chased Dee down. Got knocked off by Dum. And then, what??? Bigby woke up, suddenly remember about Toad and went straight to his apartment?

I mean, what about Lawrence and some valuable leads he was just about to tell me? What about that Geor-fucking-gie? In this play, Lawrence stayed ALIVE (I was confirmed by the what-happen-next video). If I was Bigby, no way I'm gonna just walk away from that. So irrational :( . Later, I was hoping that when I came to Toad and got Faith's note, I would go back to give it to Lawrence and asked him for more. But then no, Bigby said "I've no place else to go" and went straight to the bar, just like my first play. It left a big hole for this episode, because how Telltale handled this part was so stiff and linear, something should not have happened for their "tailor-gamer" style.

One more thing about this part is that, the choice did matter here. I mean, there's "the better choice", the 2 are not so much "equal". 1/ You came to Toad first, investigated his room and made him talk, Lawrence died, you chased Dee down, Dee told you about the bar and Dum hit you. 2/ You came to Lawrence first, Lawrence lived, you chased Dee down and Dum hit you. Then you came to Toad room later and well...nothing change, investigated his room and made him talk. Toad was even somehow manage to tell you about the bar!? The only thing that change is Toad got bitter on you. You can see that if you choose Lawrence, you can still go through about everything and still save his ass.

Don't take me wrong on this, I love Telltale and I love the idea of choices games. They really know how to Tell an excellent Tale :), and The Wolf Among Us, Wow, I'm truly a fan now. It was just that part that left me feel unsatisfied with a good overall prologue of the series.

Comments

• I agree about the Lawrence thing. It bugged me that Bigby didn't go back to Lawrence and at least get him to a doctor, much less question him further.

As for the choice thing, that's a complaint people were making about TWD too. First of all, the game has a story to tell. It's not a Choose Your Own Adventure book, it has an ending and a plot and most of it is going to play through regardless of what you do. The choices add nuance, they allow you to role-play within the character and let other characters in the world react to you in a way that matches your roleplaying. That's why they say it's "tailored", not that it completely changes based on how you play.

Secondly, you can't criticize the lack of choice consequences based on playing only the first episode. Just like TWD, there may and probably will be choices that you made in Episode 1 that won't have any effect until Episode 5.

• yeah that lawrence thing bugged me as well, there is no mention of him at all after we leave his house (still dying) if Snow had said i have called the doctor for lawrence after Bigby woke up it would have been fine, but not mentioning leaving a dying man alone just seemed weird

I agree about the Lawrence thing. It bugged me that Bigby didn't go back to Lawrence and at least get him to a doctor, much less question him

• he died in my play through.

yeah that lawrence thing bugged me as well, there is no mention of him at all after we leave his house (still dying) if Snow had said i have c

• yeah it works fine if he dies, but if you go there first it just seems odd to leave his house then never mention him at all

• I've played through twice and that been said, if you go to Toads first, I assume Dee aided the death of Prince Lawrence since Dee was hiding and Lawrence clearly had a head injury when lying on the ground. When you go to Lawrence first, he says he tried to shoot himself through the heart to which Bigby points out that the heart is closer to the center of the chest and he probably just hit a lung, thus he was not too concerned about Lawrences impeding health. (Remember folks, these are Fables and like The Woodsman taking an axe to the back of the head and walking away, it takes more than a bullet to the lung to kill them)

• I assumed that Snow helped him before coming to find Bigby.

• That would also explain why Dee was covered in blood. He said it was because he was there when Lawrence shot himself, but that happened a week ago.

• Exactly, I forgot that point. The guy had been sat in his house for a week already with a gunshot through the lung. Tough s.o.b. :)

That would also explain why Dee was covered in blood. He said it was because he was there when Lawrence shot himself, but that happened a week ago.

• Obviously I'm preaching to the choir, but not returning to Lawrence bothered me as well. I suppose it's possible Snow arranged to have him taken to Dr. Swineheart or whoever, and thus he would not be available for additional questioning for the duration of the day, but if that's the case it would have been nice to say something to that effect when you wake up in the alley.

• Nope, Bigby told Snow to stay but she said "No way" and then ran after B. Not to mentioned that she could tell Bigby exactly what happened after B was knocked down.She must be close to him at that time.

I assumed that Snow helped him before coming to find Bigby.

• I didn't worry much about his health, tho :)). At the time he woke up, I was sure that he would be just fine, as he was a Fable. What get on my nerve was when he said he wanted his gun back, and I was afraid he would commit suicide again. That's why I'm so pissed at Bigby not coming back to his house after that.

GlennOC posted: »

Exactly, I forgot that point. The guy had been sat in his house for a week already with a gunshot through the lung. Tough s.o.b.

• Well, you can see him in the preview for the next episode if he is alive in your playthrough. So I think we can asume that she did that.

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir, but not returning to Lawrence bothered me as well. I suppose it's possible Snow arranged to have him tak

• Well, you can see him in the preview for the next episode if he is alive in your playthrough. So I think we can asume that she did that.

Obviously I'm preaching to the choir, but not returning to Lawrence bothered me as well. I suppose it's possible Snow arranged to have him tak

• I think they said nothing because he will be fine as said above, I personally think the choices are going to have more affect then Walking Dead, and this is coming from a man who rigidly defended Walking Dead's choices.

• edited October 2013

Unintentional double post.

• I played through it three times. And I think it is fair when it comes to choices.
    You go to toad first, you lose Lawrence.
    You go to Lawrence and tell him the truth or half-truth AND wait what Dee is actually searching for: Lawrence bangs bullet into his head.
    You go to Lawrence and break out of the cabinet before Dee starts rummaging through the books, Lawrence lives.

I think that is really enough different options. Also, I was surprised to see Snow killed at the end, having read all the Fable comics. But... The popular ones even come back from death. And who knows what is going on at this early stage.
    And now I'll gnaw my fingernails feeling withdrawal symptoms already, because I can't wait for the next episode!

• Me nether, this is going to be such a busy gaming year with Walking Dead season 2, more Wolf Among Us, and some other things.

• So true. Well, a new telltale episode every two weeks would be real great! :)

Me nether, this is going to be such a busy gaming year with Walking Dead season 2, more Wolf Among Us, and some other things.

• edited October 2013

I agree. This bothered me in a second playthrough as well. For a game themed around investigating a murder and chasing leads, the whole Lawrence sequence (when visiting him first) feels really rushed, and I felt like I was being yanked away from it before I was ready to leave. Not so the business office or Toad's. Though, for that matter, I would've liked the option to look around for clues in the upstairs apartment while I was over there. A little bit of an issue with pacing in an otherwise great episode.

• I assumed Snow made a call off-camera and he was rushed to Swineheart, but it would've been nice for the option to question him further, or if nothing else it would've been nice if Bigby expressed a desire to do so, but got a reply from Snow to the effect of "he's been taken to the hospital." That could've connected neatly to a possible Lawrence interrogation/autopsy scene in Ep2.

yeah that lawrence thing bugged me as well, there is no mention of him at all after we leave his house (still dying) if Snow had said i have c

• So many mistakes in game script!
    About Toad's apartment. When Snow and Bigby arrived there was one twin visible in the hole. Wolf entered the building quickly but Woodsman's room was empty. WHERE did Dee/Dum go? Downstairs? He would pass Bigby on the staircase. Okay, my theory - one thug checked upstairs, second talked with toads and later jumped through the window. Still don't know where the guy upstairs disappeared.

About Faith's fur. Why did she leave it in Toad's apartament? Forgot? It was pretty big. Why did she wear it anyway? Did she visit Woodsman before? Forgot the fur, Toad took it, she came back again for cloth and then Bigby was called?

About Dee. He told Bigby about Trip Trap bar, right? So it wasn't safe (for Dee) to go there. But he did and (of course) met Bigby! Nonsense.

• In my playthrough, I waited for as long as I could, and Lawrence started pointing the gun at Dee, demanding to know what happened to his wife. (I told him that his wife was missing, the half-truth.) At that point, I think Bigby automatically jumped out of the closet and started chasing after Dee. Or maybe I clicked jump out on instinct - I can't remember. But Lawrence didn't kill himself - I saw him alive in the preview.

But I'm guessing if you tell him his wife is dead, he kills himself? I think I need to play that part again a few times to get a clearer understanding of what happens.

• Nope, he actually DOES shoot himself. There are 3 different ways to play, 1st is going to Toads = Lawrence dead. 2nd is going to Lawrence first and chasing down Dee = Lawrence alive. 3rd one is going to lawrence first and hiding in the closet for long enough and it will play out exactly like Dee states in the other situations: Lawrence shoots himself in the temple. The other gunwound was to the chest and yes that one is the old, nonfatal wound.

That would also explain why Dee was covered in blood. He said it was because he was there when Lawrence shot himself, but that happened a week ago.

• Yep, if you tell him about Faiths death he will kill himself while Dee is searching the place, so indeed he doesn't lie in the other scenarios.

• edited October 2013

I assumed Faith had left her coat at the entrance or something, and Toad "borrowed" it when she didn't come back after the skirmish. Based on what she said I assumed that she hadn't known the Woodsman prior, but we can't say how truthful she was being.

As for Dee telling Bigby about the bar before showing up? I guess you could say that he wanted him occupied with the Woodsman's trail, or didn't think he'd be a match for someone like Grendel, but yeah, it was a pretty dense move either way.

Omid's cat posted: »

So many mistakes in game script! About Toad's apartment. When Snow and Bigby arrived there was one twin visible in the hole. Wolf entered th

• If you went to Lawrence first, and chose to hit Dee without asking him anything, you wouldn't get the info about Trip Trap bar from Dee. Later, Toad was the one who tell you. But how this he knew that, well, I don't know LOL. Sound pretty weird.

Omid's cat posted: »

So many mistakes in game script! About Toad's apartment. When Snow and Bigby arrived there was one twin visible in the hole. Wolf entered th

• If the Woodsman goes to the Trip Trap on a regular basis (which he clearly does), and Toad is his landlord, it'd make sense that Toad, being the nosy type that he is, would eventually pick up on the fact that Woody goes there, especially since it's established that he spends his days getting drunk. Where else would he do it?

When Toad tells Bigy that the Woodsman is at the Trip Trap, it's because he knows he'll PROBABLY be there.

Shokun posted: »

If you went to Lawrence first, and chose to hit Dee without asking him anything, you wouldn't get the info about Trip Trap bar from Dee. Later, Toad was the one who tell you. But how this he knew that, well, I don't know LOL. Sound pretty weird.

• Update. Toad tried to run through the window but Dee pulled him back in. After that, fatman went upstairs and Bigby came. Still I have no idea how he could escape the Woodsman's room.

Donkey's skin helped Faith hide her beauty. No idea why she brought it to Toad's apartment. And that short LETTER - what it was doing there? What she was sorry for? They should explain it in next episode.

Before his brother hit wolfsman, Dee said that both (him and Bigby) can go to Trip Trap and find Woodsman. But in the bar he was surprised and tried to run away. That makes no sense.

Mikejames posted: »

I assumed Faith had left her coat at the entrance or something, and Toad "borrowed" it when she didn't come back after the skirmish. Based on

• That's weird, I waited on the closet until the end and he tried to shoot Dee, not himself... at that poi Bigby just jumped out and stopped him and the chase started.

• Well, nice one there. Haven't thought that way.

If the Woodsman goes to the Trip Trap on a regular basis (which he clearly does), and Toad is his landlord, it'd make sense that Toad, being t

Sign in to comment in this discussion.