The Protagonist debate - Bigby vs Lee

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

So, we've all played through TWD with our beloved Lee. How do you all feel about our new protagonist in Bigby aka The Big Bad Wolf. Thus far I like him as a character but did not feel as emotive towards his interaction with the characters he meets.

Comments

• I like Bigby ... he's more of a Badass. Trying to start a new life , he's used to being disliked by people (because of his past) , and tries to get redemption.
    The thing I like about Bigby ... nobody can F**k with me , so I can do whatever I want xD

• Bigby master race.

• They are so different its not really fair to even compare them, that said Lee can be more of a caring person then Bigby, I honestly can't say who is better then early and because they are so different in many respects.

• edited October 2013

Hard to compare, since one is just a normal, realistic guy. As a man, I like Lee better. But as a written character and part of a story, I like Bigby better. He's like Sam Spade and Wolverine combined, which hits all my "awesome fictional character" buttons.

• Well there is one thing I can compare, if Lee fought Bigby, well I think that would be why he is limping in episode one not because of the car crash, now that is a given.

• Bigby is a wolf, so it would be more appropriate compare him to other TTG's canine protagonists, Sam and Gromit.

• Or Sam and Max, I think that would be more fair then Lee.

• Maybe I shouldn't have used VS in my thread title because I'm not looking for comparisons between the two, just more opinions regarding the lead men individually. Such as, I always felt that when playing TWD that I was actually in the position of Lee, where as with Bigby, I felt I was just watching his story and actions.

Well there is one thing I can compare, if Lee fought Bigby, well I think that would be why he is limping in episode one not because of the car crash, now that is a given.

• Bigby is the only one in all the worlds to stand up against the Adversary and thrive so he's a serious badass. I can understand people not feeling connected to him but anyone who's a fan of the Fables series (myself included) feel quite the opposite.

• Argh! They're both sooo badass!

• True, on one hand Lee fought his way through a entire horde of walkers, something that has never been done in the whole Walking Dead series, but Bigby tore off that one guys arm pretty easily.

• I found that I was far more willing to play Bigby as jerkass than I was with Lee. To me this had to do with each character's overall situation, which in some ways are the complete opposite of each other's.

Lee is a fairly well-mannered guy (give or take a dead senator) trying to be tough enough to survive in the brutal world he now find himself in. He has to force himself to be a badass in order to survive.

Bigby, on the other hand is, quite literally, a monster. Granted he's learned to control most of his instincts and is genuinely trying to be a nice guy but his natural state is tearing through villages looking for prey. When pushed to extremes, he WILL push back. With claws. To avoid this, he has to constantly hold himself back from being what he really is.

One character is a man forced to become a beast, the other is a beast forced to become a man.

• Great synopsis DomeWing333, you've really hit the nail on the head a lot better than I was trying to explain myself when I set up this thread. I now declare you as the honorary owner of this thread :)

DomeWing333 posted: »

I found that I was far more willing to play Bigby as jerkass than I was with Lee. To me this had to do with each character's overall situation

• I agree with Domewing, I was always trying to be nice with Lee, but with Bigby I really had to think what I would say, I wanted to glass Woody or tear of that one guys arm, your right, you always were the smart guy.

• Lee and Bigby are likeable for very different reasons.
    Lee was created by Telltale as a new character and it felt interesting to find out who he is (a former teacher turned murderer - for reasons I think partly understandable...).
    It is not he himself makes him a great character, it is the synergy with Clem that does.

Now, Bigby is new for those who don't know the comic series. I have read all the comics so he really isn't new to me. He is badass, but he wouldn't just rip a guy's arm out just for an achievement - fitting as it might be in the case of Grendel.
    I've seen a TotalBiscuit review where TB said he is "a werewolf". And with the background from the comics we know he is so much more!

Both Lee & Bigby are great characters, both are essentially good. Though Bigby surely wasn't when they still were in the Homelands.

All in all I think that Telltale really got the gist since TWD and I really enjoy their games and depth of characters.

• Me to, they have been making great new characters for great series, and making them really accessible for new comers like me to Wolf Among Us, and for hardcore fans like me on Walking Dead, they are on a role.

• The thing, because Lee is a character who only exists in the game, he's pretty much a blank slate. So his personality reflects the person playing him. He could be the idealist do-gooder, the pragmatic survivor, the silent type, or some combination thereof. In some ways, he's more like an RPG character in that he's a vehicle through which the player experiences the game world and who he is is dependent on the player's choices.

Bigby is of course extremely prominent in the long-running Fables comic book series, so he already has a very well-defined personality. And I think that comes across in the game regardless of which options you pick. Now that means that players may not feel quite as personally invested in Bigby as they were with Lee because we don't have as much control over who he is and where his story ends up. But on the other hand, I think it allows the writers to let more of Bigby's personality show through in the game. They don't necessarily have to account for all of the player's previous choices or worry about whether Bigby is saying or doing something that the player would want. Bigby isn't the player, he's just a character that the player is controlling. And we already pretty much know more or less who Bigby is.

• edited October 2013

Well they are both bad-ass in their own way... Lee managed to keep a group of survivors togeather in the middle of a zombie apocalypse and teach a child how to survive without taking away all of her innocence... Bigby on the other hand can turn into a freakin warewold and beat the crap out of a golem 3 times his size.... I think we will have to wait and see how Bigby turns out at the end of the game...

• yeah i like what you have said, i have found that i am playing Bigby as more of a badass that i would do for Lee, but i think it is also because of the vastly different circumstances, Bigby is a sheriff in a town full of monsters, if he wasn't at least a bit of a badass he wouldn't be taken seriously, and people would just take advantage of a weak sheriff

DomeWing333 posted: »

I found that I was far more willing to play Bigby as jerkass than I was with Lee. To me this had to do with each character's overall situation

• Very true. Though you are on rails with Lee, too, you slowly figure out who he is and as he is a blank slate, you can make him more like your own character.

All the options we had so far in Episode 1 for Bigby - no matter if good or bad - you could imagine Bigby acting like that in the comics.
    Still, I think the game will reveal parts of Bigby we didn't see in the comics.

magodesky posted: »

The thing, because Lee is a character who only exists in the game, he's pretty much a blank slate. So his personality reflects the person pla

• Most likely for the best, it was just the first part, Lee did not do all to much in episode one either.

• They're so different. Bigby is an established character and Lee is pretty much everyman. You can project onto him in ways you really cant with Bigby. They are both great characters in their own ways.

• edited October 2013

You shouldn't compare canines with lagomorphs, because white rabbity things are often just too chaotic and destructive, which makes the comparison unfair to anyone else.

On the other hand Sam and Bigby have many things in common. Both have their own sense of justice and they try to contain their violent urges, despite the fact that they have strong violent tendencies. Both also seem to have natural talents for police work and both take their job seriously.

Or Sam and Max, I think that would be more fair then Lee.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.