I'm surprised I made an unpopular choice

edited October 2013 in The Wolf Among Us

At the bar. I had to choose who to pursue: Woody or Dee (or Dum?)

I was so convinced that I must pursue Woody over one of those fat twins, purely because the last thing he said. I don't recall exactly what he said, but it was like "anyone knows where the girl named..." ('Faith' was the next thing he was about to say, obviously)

This was so apparent that he doesn't even know she was killed. So, I stuck to my original intention to detain Woody. Never regret it. But I have to say, I'm quite shocked to learn that only 20-something percent chose this option. Really? Why?

This is just a game, and everyone is allowed to play their own way. I know it and please don't get me wrong. This is not an accusation, but sincerely out of my curiousity.

Why?

PS.
By the way, I chose to go to Mr. Toad's first, because in the mirror, Prince Lawrence looked already dead! Mr. Toad's with a real problem which could be involved with the killer? Or a glooy apartment with a dead body.... Of course, I would go to Mr. Toad's! I would've gone to Lawrence's first if he had looked more... 'lively'. The moment the prince opened his mouth, I felt somewhat 'tricked'. And I'm not sure if it was intentionally designed that way or just bad graphics... or my short-sightedness. Either way, that was the most disappointing part of the game for me, I have to say.

Comments

• edited October 2013

I chose Woodsman for the same reason as you. Dee seemed to be asking for information about the murder, which makes me doubt that he was involved with the actual murder (he obviously wasn't acting so that Bigby wasn't suspicious of him there, since he didn't know Bigby was on the scene already)... but people chose to capture him because he's mysterious and they want to question him, particularly to find out who the hell is his employer.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2013

@Onur_Kenj wrote:

>

I would've gone to Lawrence's first if he had looked more... 'lively'. The moment the prince opened his mouth, I felt somewhat 'tricked'. And I'm not sure if it was intentionally designed that way or just bad graphics... or my short-sightedness. Either way, that was the most disappointing part of the game for me, I have to say.

It was intentional to make him appear dead. If you go to meet him first, even Snow and Bigby will think he's dead. As was shown when the Woodsman walked away after getting an axe shoved through his head, Fables are notoriously hard to kill. Or more accurately, the more well-known they are to the mundane world the more damage they can take without dying.

• If it depends on note worthyness, then I have to wonder who would be the most famous?

Jennifer posted: »

@Onur_Kenj wrote: > I would've gone to Lawrence's first if he had looked more... 'lively'. The moment the prince opened his m

• This was so apparent that he doesn't even know she was killed.

What? No the exact opposite is the case. If you go to toads first and later to Lawrence he will tell you that HE told Lawrence about Faiths death ('How was I supposed to know he didn't know?'). That's also when Lawrence freaks out and shoots himself.

I simply went for the Tweedle because while not really suspicious of murder he seemed like a much bigger person of interest to me.
    What was he and his brother doing at Lawrences place? What were they searching for at Toads? Who are they working for and what do they know that I don't? It just seemed much more interesting to arrest the Tweedles.

As for the Woodsman, I believed he had nothing to do with Faiths dead, and he seemed genuine to me. He didn't seem to know much more than I do in contrast to Dee/Dum, so I let him go.

• edited October 2013

I went after Dee because I don't think Woody had anything to do with it. He seemed genuinely surprised to learn about Faith, and he's not acting like someone who's trying to evade the law before Bigby talks to him. I'm about 99% sure he's not the guy. He's just the red herring you see at the beginning of almost every murder mystery.

Dee, on the other hand--I don't know what this guy's deal is, but he's up to something. The fact that he was rummaging around both Woody's and Lawrence's apartments is mighty suspicious. Now I don't think Dee is the guy either, but I do think he's involved or, at the very least, knows something he's not telling.

So that's why I went after Dee. Woody is a better suspect on paper. But I'm pretty sure he's just a drunk who happened to get into a fight with the wrong girl on the wrong night. Dee seems like he's up to something, and he's been actively tampering with Bigby's investigation. If I have to choose one of them to take off the street, it's Dee. I'll take my chances letting Woody run for a bit.

Oh, and this...

The moment the prince opened his mouth, I felt somewhat 'tricked'. And I'm not sure if it was intentionally designed that way or just bad graphics... or my short-sightedness. Either way, that was the most disappointing part of the game for me, I have to say.

Yeah, I kind of agree. That choice irritated me a bit. Having now played through it, we can say in hindsight that going to Lawrence first was the "right" choice. But I don't see why anyone would guess that based on the information presented in the game. In the image that appears in the magic mirror, it looks like whatever crime has been committed is already done. Whereas Toad, who was still alive, was calling about a threat that was going on at that very moment. Given a choice between responding to a crime scene that's already growing cold and responding to a crime currently in progress, it seems obvious to me that you help the guy who's still alive and currently in danger.

• edited October 2013

Dee is fat, his brother punched bigby, ran when you tried to question him at lawrence's place and also his shirt was covered in blood so it was kind of a logical choice for me. I kind of regret it because on my second playthrough i went after woody and in the episode 2 preview he mentioned that the "donkey girl" was involved while in the dee playthrough i don't recall that anything important was said.

• I also chose Woody for the exact same reason. At the moment I figured he'd know much more than Dee(or Dum) ... but now I kinda feel the contrary ! Dee was investigating Faith's apartment , Knew that Faith had died and went to tell Lawrence ... while Woody might've been there by accident ...
    We'll see what they know in episode 2.

Oh and yes ... I also went to Toad first because I thought the Killer might be there. And Lawrence also looked dead in the mirror , so no need to hurry. Seems like clever minds think the same hehe

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2013

Most likely Snow White or Cinderella. Of course, Bigby himself is right up there, since, in the Fables universe, the Big Bad Wolf is every wolf that has ever appeared in a classic fable.

If it depends on note worthyness, then I have to wonder who would be the most famous?

• Yes, this is why there was thread that was saying there should be an actual downside to going to Lawrence's first, like losing Toad's co-operation at a crucial moment or some such, because as it stands it's a clearly superior choice if you manage to prevent Lawrence's suicide.

• My reactions to each reason why people chose Dee (or Dum)

1. "If you choose to go to Mr. Toad's first, you'll learn the fat twin is the one who tells Larence of Faith's death..."
      Damn, those twins! They look the same! So, the one who witnessed Larence's suicidal attempt is the one who showed up at the bar? Man... I didn't think he was... Ugh...
    2. "His shirt was covered in blood..."
      Of course. According to him, Prince Lawrence shot himself in front of him.
    3. "Woody is not involved..."
      I still need something from Woody. The reason is, he accused Faith of knowing him in the beginning of the game, and he quite became violent with her for no obvious reasons. Something tells me Woody knows something. Something he hasn't come clean yet. Plus, I guess he's the one who hired Faith in the first place, so, if I have him, I can contact the pimp anytime I want? (The twins are the pimps, right?)

To me, Dee or Dum or whatever, they are just pimps who want nothing but to collect the money from Faith...

I don't know. And I don't understand how come I haven't even met Bluebeard and he's one of the available suspects... This game is not very informative for those who didn't read the comic books. Maybe we haven't even met the killer, yet.

• See, my logic was that when Toad called, he was just phoning in another home invasion. It may have involved someone stealing something from Woody, but at the time it was presented to me, it didn't feel like it was relevant to the case at hand. That's why I went to Lawrence's place first. Just wish I was able to save him, is all. Oh well, that's what the second play-thru is for.

• edited October 2013

I figured Woody asked her if she knew who he was because no one knows who he is - that's his whole schtick throughout the game. He rescued Red Riding Hood, but everyone remembers Bigsby, and no one even remembers Woody's name. He even references this once you sit with him at the bar. I feel like whenever he's drunk he goes through the routine of "Do you know who I am, damnit?"

The twins aren't her pimps. They're more like hired muscle, and they definitely have a single boss.

• edited October 2013

So far. That may change in upcoming chapters.

Androu1 posted: »

Yes, this is why there was thread that was saying there should be an actual downside to going to Lawrence's first, like losing Toad's co-opera

• edited October 2013

And I don't understand how come I haven't even met Bluebeard and he's one of the available suspects... This game is not very informative for those who didn't read the comic books. Maybe we haven't even met the killer, yet.

There was a file on Bluebeard in Bigby's apartment that he comments on for the benefit of those who didn't read their fairy tales growing up.

• There's a good argument for chasing either one, that's what makes it such a great choice. I chased the Tweedle because a) I believed the Woodsman when he said that he didn't kill Faith, he seemed too shocked for it to be an act (love that video game characters can give such great performances, BTW) and b) it seems like the Tweedles still have more information to extract. Plus there's the fact that one of them was hiding at the site of Lawrence's body and the other one assaulted you. That seems more suspicious than the Woodsman having slapped her around the night before, even if it does make Woody a bigger prick.

• I truly don't believe that the woodsman is involved with Faiths' death because whomever killed Faith is most likely the same person who killed Snow. In which case it can't be him, it is impossible for the woodsman to have killed Snow because she had to have been while Bigby is in the bar. That being said, the Woodsman is also at the bar the whole time Bigby is and it can't be argued that he does it after running away from Wolf because she is still dead if you arrest him.
    All in all it seems that the general consensus is that neither Dee nor the Woodsman are the murderer. However, between the two of them Woody would appear to have been more straight-forward with Wolf while Dee is panicked and rambles a bit when cornered as well as having his brother bail him out of an interrogation. Woody seems to be honestly shocked at the news of Faiths death while Dee knows about it. This is a big deal because her death was kept under wraps by Wolf and Snow, no one is supposed to know that she is dead.

• Numbers do not co-relate to your numbering
    1)The twin who was in Woody's apartment I believe was Dum, the one at Laurence's was Dee. The one who shows up at the bar is also Dee.

2) The Woodsman was very drunk in the beginning and was basically pulling the classic "B" list celebrity "Do you know who I am!?!" thing. He's most likely a drunk because he believes he deserves more fame for what he did, he even admits in the bar that he expected some sort of reward for saving Red. When she doesn't know who he is, because honestly the Woodsman is not a hugely well Fairy Tale character, it pisses him off and sends him into a drunken rage.

• Unless you did something I didn't I'm pretty sure just going to Lawrence's first "saves" him. Then again I only told him that she was missing.

Zeek posted: »

See, my logic was that when Toad called, he was just phoning in another home invasion. It may have involved someone stealing something from W

• Well, I actually told Lawrence that she was murdered, and then when Dee was searching the apartment, I didn't realize Lawrence put the gun to his head and shot himself while Bigby was hiding the closet. At that point, both Dee and Bigby freaked out, and then the chase sequence kicked in.

At the end of the episode, it said in my Player Choice summary that I was able to revive Lawrence, but he still took his own life. Had I jumped out sooner, I would have saved Lawrence, which I confirmed on a second play-thru just to get an achievement.

6Stringed posted: »

Unless you did something I didn't I'm pretty sure just going to Lawrence's first "saves" him. Then again I only told him that she was missing.

• i went for Dee because he is acting very shady and it seems to know something is going on. Woody on the other hand has no idea what is happening.

The Twins seem to be hired goons and they seem to be secretive about their boss.

• He didn't accuse Faith of knowing him, he was asking if she knew him and got angry when she said no. He's angry that people don't remember him, but remember the Big Bad Wolf.

• For me, Dee and Dum are very suspicious, from the very fact they're looking in to the Faith character, and somehow are aware of her death, and just their general demeanour really. I want information from them about what they're up to.

Woody on the other hand I feel is more of a danger to himself than anyone else. In the bar he seemed genuinely worn down, self-loathing and remorseful, he just starts basically reflecting on his life and himself. Sure he runs, but I see it as more out of self-preservation and fear knowing how bad it looks for him, as both he and Bigby point out.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.