Should Season 3 be the last season?

jmmjmm
edited September 2008 in Sam & Max
Just wondering...

I think S&M should go on a year long vacation after 4, but that's only me.

Your thoughts...

Comments

• edited September 2008
    Hmm... tricky... I don't want Sam & Max to become old and stale, but I probably wouldn't want to see the towel tossed in. I've voted to wait and see how season 3 unfolds, ignoring the "probably" part.

Note: I originally wrote a lot of rambling for this post, but I can't set my mind on a decision.
    Edit: Yeah, I think I'm with Harald B.
  • edited September 2008
    Three is a good number in gaming. I think it would be nice for Season Three to be a crowning achievement and wrap things up a bit, followed by a vacation and maybe an eventual reload. Besides, it has to happen like that for the abject speculation Prophecy to come true.
  • edited September 2008
    I agree with Guybrush, I'd hate to see it end but I wouldn't want to lose it's spark. I'd rather it end on a high. I think at least 4 or 5 seasons if they can keep the standard up.
  • edited September 2008
    As long as Telltale gives it a natural arc in coming to a close, I'll be happy.
  • edited September 2008
    I think to keep up longevity they're going to have to continue to improve on the episodic format of the games. For example, they keep television programs going in part by having cliffhangers at the end of each season. The ending for Season 2 was a little too neat and tidy, leaving me with no direct desire to see a third season really. It's not to say that I wouldn't buy and play season three, but what's making me cry in anticipation?
  • edited September 2008
    Actually, plot threads on TV usually are resolved by the end of the season (unless you mean like the big questions that form the backbone of the series, like in the X-Files or Lost or something), with a couple notable exceptions that don't usually get received too well (one Star Trek season ended on a cliffhanger, and it was months before it got resolved). This is partly because you may not get renewed for another season (Darkwing Duck ended a season on a cliffhanger... and it got canceled).
  • edited September 2008
    I guess that is the real crux to episodic gaming. I'd be interested to see how the sales numbers of Season 2 did compared with Season 1. Eventually I could see the team getting tired of making S&M games even if it is doing well.
    From what I've heard a good number of the members are working on the Strong Bad line of games so this might help to keep things fresh.
  • edited September 2008
    From my experience on watching tv shows, a total of around 40 episodes is a good number. Any longer than that, generally quality in some form suffers.

The trouble is Sam and Max seasons are extremely short compared to tv shows' (which varies from 10-15 episodes). So I'm looking at about 7-9 seasons. ^^;

But when it comes down to it, I just don't want the quality to suffer. If we get just a season 3, I will be counting my blessings. I do have a idea after the series has ended though. In the future whenever Taletale feels a bit worn on their future current projects, they could go back and release one self-contained "special" episode.
  • edited September 2008
    i don't know. I think that for a game series like this, I'd have to say up to 5 seasons.
    So, if they go to season 5, or stop after 3, it was/will be an AWESOME run.
  • edited September 2008
    Why is everybody talking like it's over all of a sudden? Between you and the Mix n Mojo guys it's getting downright morbid.
  • edited September 2008
    Chuck wrote: »
    Why is everybody talking like it's over all of a sudden? Between you and the Mix n Mojo guys it's getting downright morbid.

This coming from a Zombie?
  • edited September 2008
    It's Sam & Max withdrawal.
  • edited September 2008
    I'd probably go with waiting to see how the season unfolds. But the series is pretty funny, and I haven't seen it slowing down, really. So if you wanna look at it as going strong, then sure, you can go ahead and do another season or two, so long as TTG is making them good and interesting, I fail to see what's wrong.
  • edited September 2008
    As long as they don't run out of good ideas, or Steve Purcells, I'd love it to keep going.
  • edited September 2008
    Well, I think it would not be funny anymore if they really did a Season each year forever. But they don't have to cancel the game forever. At the moment i'm still looking forward to more seasons, but it could be better to do a longer pause (2 or 3 Years) in the future (but not yet after season 3), and do another (new) series in that time.
  • edited September 2008

We're sure you're turning into humorless corporate zombies, and that now you're going to to turn Sam and Max into Dilbert.

*glances at "What's New, Beelzebub?"*

....Oh @#$%.
  • edited September 2008
    This thread makes me sad. Just like my pappy always said "No need a kill a healthy horse." You should wait until (if) there's some decline in the product before you start talking like that. As long as it's going good, don't worry about it. Did you not think season 2 was awesome?
  • edited September 2008
    Well, it depends on how many ideas Telltale has left.
    I think they should continue until they run out of ideas
    and then give the sam and max game series a worthy
    ending.
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2008
    We're sure you're turning into humorless corporate zombies, and that now you're going to to turn Sam and Max into Dilbert.

Sam and Max into Dilbert.... shudders

[panel 1]
    Sam hangs the phone after talking with The Commissioner, evil director of human resources.
    [panel 2]
    Sam: Max, The Commissioner asked for quarterly crime reports every month
    Max stares blankly at Sam.
    [panel 3]
    Max: But then Sam, those reports wouldn't be quarterly.
    Sam: You crack me up, little buddy.

Aaaaaaanyway... back on topic:

I doubt we are turning into morbid mode about Sam & Max. I'm just curious because Episodic format is still new and Telltale is pushing the envelope with S&M. Right now the total number of episodes or seasons are an unknown quantity and I don't how and when S&M will end.

I have already stated that a, hopefully short, break should be made after season 4, if there is a season 4. I didn't explain why, so here it is:

Topping yourselves (I mean Telltale) will become increasingly difficult, and after four seasons (21 games if the current 5 episodes/season format continues) taking some time off to regroup, rethink and reevaluate the franchise doesn't sound too bad. I know keeping momentum and player base is a priority, but sometimes you need to stop for awhile. Probably the player base will decrease a bit, but taking a pause to gather strength will probably be a better long time strategy.

Still, I doubt S&M Season 11 will see the light, heck, getting past season 5 would be something impresive.

And there is another possibilty: schedule Season 4 (or 5) as the last season, followed by a full fledged game to end (!?) Telltale's S&M (Circa 2011-2012 Telltale will be big enough to have the resources to make this possible)
  • edited September 2008
    I'd like for it to continue for more than three 'seasons'. I doubt they'll run out of idéas, there's a TON of stuff you can put Sam & Max through :D
    I have a feeling they will only have scratched the surface by then :)
  • edited September 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    I have already stated that a, hopefully short, break should be made after season 4, if there is a season 4. I didn't explain why, so here it is:

Topping yourselves (I mean Telltale) will become increasingly difficult, and after four seasons (21 games if the current 5 episodes/season format continues) taking some time off to regroup, rethink and reevaluate the franchise doesn't sound too bad. I know keeping momentum and player base is a priority, but sometimes you need to stop for awhile. Probably the player base will decrease a bit, but taking a pause to gather strength will probably be a better long time strategy.

How long is your hopefully short break? We've got quite a long time between Seasons 2 and 3 (6-9 months) and although, yes, we've got SBCG4AP in the meantime and the promise of S&M:S3 and W&GGA on the way, I'm sure if the break is too long the game /will/ lose an audience.

Then again, there were 14 years between Hit the Road and Season 1, and Sam and Max fans were chomping at the bit to get it :)
  • edited September 2008
    I've thought about this for awhile.

Y'know, I'd like to see this go as long as they're willing to put it out. I could see myself playing Sam and Max every year for a few more to come. Granted, I don't know how Season 3 or subsequent seasons would pan out, but I love Sam and Max. It's probably always going to have a different feel than the SBCG4AP and/or W&G seasons ever will have, and it's not a feel I'm sick of or ready to give up on just yet.

Besides, I got myself a case file for season 1 and 2. I'd like to see myself with several DVD cases and case files that are worth a BILLION DOLLARS someday.
  • edited September 2008
    i vote for none of the above... wtf brought this thread up??
  • edited September 2008
    There are certainly enough ideas.
    And since politics and trends are always changing the world is
    a parodistic Cornucopia.
  • edited September 2008
    Molokov wrote: »
    How long is your hopefully short break? We've got quite a long time between Seasons 2 and 3 (6-9 months)
    Just a gentle reminder that we haven't announced a date for the start of season 3 more specific than "2009," and 6-9 months after the end of season 2 (i.e., January at the latest), is not going to happen.
  • edited September 2008
    I hope it never ends until it's total crap, but then it'd still be hard to see the whole thing just...die. :'(
  • edited September 2008
    Just a gentle reminder that we haven't announced a date for the start of season 3 more specific than "2009," and 6-9 months after the end of season 2 (i.e., January at the latest), is not going to happen.

Yeah, wild guess and miscalculation by me. I'm not actually expecting S3 to debut until March or April next year, at the earliest. Frankly, I'm happy to wait until whenever - after all, after SBCG4AP is finished, I can replay S&M S2 and SBCG4AP to bide the time until S3 starts :)
  • edited September 2008
    nooo way!! I need my Sam & Max Season updates!!!!
  • edited September 2008
    Breakman wrote: »
    From my experience on watching tv shows, a total of around 40 episodes is a good number. Any longer than that, generally quality in some form suffers.

The trouble is Sam and Max seasons are extremely short compared to tv shows' (which varies from 10-15 episodes). So I'm looking at about 7-9 seasons. ^^;

But when it comes down to it, I just don't want the quality to suffer. If we get just a season 3, I will be counting my blessings. I do have a idea after the series has ended though. In the future whenever Taletale feels a bit worn on their future current projects, they could go back and release one self-contained "special" episode.

Stargate got 10 seasons with 22 eps each and it STILL had high ratings! I say S&M FOR eveer
  • jmmjmm
    edited September 2008
    jekaboom wrote: »
    nooo way!! I need my Sam & Max Season updates!!!!

Easy Rodney.... it's not enzyme (or coffee, or blue jello), you know :)
    unsilviu wrote: »
    Stargate got 10 seasons with 22 eps each and it STILL had high ratings! I say S&M FOR eveer

Drifting a bit, but ratings wasn't what killed Stargate. Stargate was canceled by increasing production costs, dwindling ratings, and cheaper, albeit crappier, shows (The same happened with Stargate Atlantis)

Back on topic:
    One thing that I'm surprised nobody considered is the length of the S&M License granted to Telltale. Of course it can be renewed, but I sense that before an eventual Season 5 or 6, they'll have to negotiate the renewal with Steve Purcell.
  • edited September 2008
    take it as far as it can go , never stop :) Even if that means leaving it for a year or two and then starting it up again with fresh ideas but, not before season 3 is released ! I MUST HAVE SEASON 3 !!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2008
    jmm wrote: »
    Back on topic:
    One thing that I'm surprised nobody considered is the length of the S&M License granted to Telltale. Of course it can be renewed, but I sense that before an eventual Season 5 or 6, they'll have to negotiate the renewal with Steve Purcell.

I don't think that's an issue. Not that Steve and Telltale don't have business talks (I'm sure they do, because everybody does), but I'm pretty sure something would have to happen creatively to turn the games into something Steve didn't like before business came into it. So, don't worry about that.
  • edited September 2008
    I was thinking about this, having finally invested in S&M.

Let's compare it to TV shows: some (Simpsons) need to end, but refuse to. It's disgusting, because they're creating new stories that are not topical and are basically pulled out of a bin of "This episode, main character becomes a _______." I loved the Simpsons in its first, say, 10 years or more. I will not miss it when it is gone.

South park did that for a while, but was always sporadic and creative with its plots. Then it became topical and can, as far as i'm concerned, live forever and still appeal.

Sam & Max seems a medium between the two, though it'd be strange to see it get too topical. It reminds me of Futurama a lot, which got cancelled long before its time and thank God is coming back in some form. Of course even when a show dips before it ends, you'll usually miss the characters and settings.

The important thing is: without this, we don't have S&M in our future. Comics? Been gone a long time. We need adventure games in our lives and many of us need edgy, vulgar, psychotic ones.
  • edited September 2008
    As someone said "don't kill a healthy horse". If there is nothing remotely stale about something, don't screw it up. I see far too many good ideas (and series) get ruined by someone suddenly deciding they needed to spice things up somehow. Good examples are Metroid going 3-D and abandoning the 2-D platforming that made it famous which Castlevania now dominates... CAD adding tons of unneeded Drama and wrecking the various lives of its characters... and Lost changing from creepy-sci-fi-ish to all this weird conspiracy crap and killed off a couple of characters that either didn't need killing, or didn't need introducing.

So yeah, as it is Sam & Max seems to be going strong, and unless there is a suddenly and major decline in the quality, I fail to see why anything needs to be changed about it.

Also, what's wrong with Dilbert?
  • edited September 2008
    I love old traditions - like playing my S&M-season every year. Why not trust in Telltale?
  • edited September 2008
    one rabbit, one law.
    all hail max.
    s&m forever!

usually I say that it should be stopped when at the top. sequels are terrible most of the times...
    but telltale prooved me wrong! sequels CAN be awesome if you do them right!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.