'Minecraft: Story Mode' Episode 1 - 'The Order of the Stone' Trailer discussion thread

dojo32161dojo32161 Moderator
edited October 2015 in Minecraft: Story Mode

'Minecraft: Story Mode' Episode 1 - 'The Order of the Stone' Trailer

In Minecraft: Story Mode, playing as either a male or female hero named 'Jesse,' you’ll embark on a perilous adventure across the Overworld, through the Nether, to the End, and beyond. You and your friends revere the legendary Order of the Stone: Warrior, Redstone Engineer, Griefer, and Architect; slayers of the Ender Dragon. While at EnderCon in hopes of meeting Gabriel the Warrior, Jesse’s friends discover that something is wrong… something dreadful. Terror is unleashed, and you must set out on a quest to find The Order of the Stone if you are to save your world from oblivion.

Comments

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited October 2015

I like Billy West's narration, it also doesn't contain any major spoilers which is good.

I'm looking forward to playing episode one :D

• kenjisalkkenjisalk Telltale Alumni

I have a big ol' grin on my face every time I hear his read of 'it is indeed a troubled land that has need for heroes'. :) Reminds me of Princess Bride.

• looks great but i wont be playing it until all 5 episodes are out, hope everyone enjoys episode 1 :D

• Trailer looks pretty good, but nothing extraordinary in my opinion. But oh heck yes, Billy West is there and I'll probably end up buying it, if I'll like the first episode. Going to only watch it on YouTube for now.

• I'm not really sure. My feelings about this game are kinda conflicted. But I have faith in Telltale ^^

But I'll probably watch a gameplay of the 1st episode before buying the game :p

• Looks awesome. Can't wait to play it on the 13th!

• Stellar trailer music, as per usual! Anybody know what it is?

• edited October 2015

I LOVE music! Tell, please, thank Jared for the music and Sean for trailer (It's awesome!), YOU for support and the whole team for the AMAZING JOB! :)

I hope that you will be able to release a tracks from the trailers of Episode 1.

They are amazing!

kenjisalk posted: »

I have a big ol' grin on my face every time I hear his read of 'it is indeed a troubled land that has need for heroes'. Reminds me of Princess Bride.

• enter image description here

sopilers = spoilers

I had to! xD

OzzyUK posted: »

I like Billy West's narration, it also doesn't contain any major spoilers which is good. I'm looking forward to playing episode one

• edited October 2015

I have to admit. The trailer made me cringe a bit.

enter image description here

I will buy the game when it has a 50% sale. No game I need to have immediately.

• Soon.

• edited October 2015

Soon.

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator

Whoops :P

WalkerHH93 posted: »

sopilers = spoilers I had to! xD

• I like to point out mistakes to people so they can correct them. I am nice like that. :D

Whoops :P

• I'm having a tough decision. Should I buy it when it comes out or wait till all the episodes come out?

Looks awesome. Can't wait to play it on the 13th!

• edited October 2015

That's for you to decide. If you like Telltales's mechanics and understand what you can expect (A game for all ages) then I would recommend purchasing it, but you could also wait for reviews and impressions on the first episode once it comes out if your more cautious.

Menofthe214 posted: »

I'm having a tough decision. Should I buy it when it comes out or wait till all the episodes come out?

• It was hard not to imagine that it was Fry from Futurama narrating.

kenjisalk posted: »

I have a big ol' grin on my face every time I hear his read of 'it is indeed a troubled land that has need for heroes'. Reminds me of Princess Bride.

• My thoughts on the trailer

• Hahaha, that made my day x)

Poogers555 posted: »

My thoughts on the trailer

• God, I'm still unsure about this game, think I might watch the first ep online then buy the others depending on that.

• Hehe yeah.

It's not Life is Strange trailer. ;)

WalkerHH93 posted: »

I have to admit. The trailer made me cringe a bit. I will buy the game when it has a 50% sale. No game I need to have immediately.

• It seems they're doing a live playing of the episode, though I don't know if they'll stream it this time.

kaza125 posted: »

God, I'm still unsure about this game, think I might watch the first ep online then buy the others depending on that.

• I think the only reason they didn't stream "Escape Plan Bravo" was because they couldn't get a solid internet connection. Hopefully this place has stable Wifi. ;)

dojo32161 posted: »

It seems they're doing a live playing of the episode, though I don't know if they'll stream it this time.

• That scene with the mine cart gave me an ET vibe, which I'm sure was somewhat intentional given how they've said 1980's family movies were some of the inspiration for this game.

Poogers555 posted: »

My thoughts on the trailer

• Ok I'll decide. And yes I'm a fan of both Telltale and Minecraft.

That's for you to decide. If you like Telltales's mechanics and understand what you can expect (A game for all ages) then I would recommend

• edited October 2015

Conflicted emotions continue. I'm not against the game or anything, and the demo looked nice, but.. I don't know, I find it hard to take the trailers serious. They're obviously meant to be quite serious, but something about them... I don't know. I wish you could just buy one episode at a time on PC. I want to try it out, but I don't want to have to buy the whole season just to do that.

Amazing job on the music, as always, though!

• I don't get the super serious vibe from the trailer at all, in fact, just from the narration of it, to me it gives off kind of a light hearted fantasy type theme to it.

Lewsblake23 posted: »

Conflicted emotions continue. I'm not against the game or anything, and the demo looked nice, but.. I don't know, I find it hard to take the

• OzzyUKOzzyUK Moderator
    edited October 2015

I don't think it is supposed to be that serious, they are basing the game around adventure movies like Ghostbusters and The Goonies so the trailer has a similar vibe.

I just looked at a old Goonies trailer and it is similar to the Story Mode one so they probably based it around that.

enter link description here

Lewsblake23 posted: »

Conflicted emotions continue. I'm not against the game or anything, and the demo looked nice, but.. I don't know, I find it hard to take the

• edited October 2015

After watching that I can definitely see The Goonies influence in Story Mode.

I don't think it is supposed to be that serious, they are basing the game around adventure movies like Ghostbusters and The Goonies so the t

• Nope! Love telltale, have bought every single thing they made since Walkingdead 1. But this seems like a mistake, and a cop out. And I play Minecraft! There is no history, and I don't know if lame blocks will draw me in the way everything else they've done recently has. I think their first flop is about to drop- at least it was super super cheap to animate...

• Don't judge something that hasn't come out yet. Once it is out and your statement turned out to be true, then it is valid. As for now, it is just unfair and short-sighted.

Foxglove posted: »

Nope! Love telltale, have bought every single thing they made since Walkingdead 1. But this seems like a mistake, and a cop out. And I play

• edited October 2015

When you love something, you don't just love the fun and exciting stuff (TWD, TWAU, etc) you like. You love the "flaws" just as much. The ones who have actually shown love for Telltale provide some sort of support even if they don't find any interest in one of their products. They say, "Personally, I don't really like Minecraft, but I hope it does well because Telltale."
    Plus it's not like they're gonna stop making other stuff after this.

You don't love Telltale. You're looking at its butt when it walks by.

(Not saying you should buy Minecraft: SM but at least show some respect for the company you "love".)

Foxglove posted: »

Nope! Love telltale, have bought every single thing they made since Walkingdead 1. But this seems like a mistake, and a cop out. And I play

• You don't love Telltale. You're looking at its butt when it walks by.

What a beautiful analogy

lupinb0y posted: »

When you love something, you don't just love the fun and exciting stuff (TWD, TWAU, etc) you like. You love the "flaws" just as much. The on

• enter image description here

You don't love Telltale. You're looking at its butt when it walks by. What a beautiful analogy

• Hmm, I can definitely see what you mean.

I don't think it is supposed to be that serious, they are basing the game around adventure movies like Ghostbusters and The Goonies so the t

• I think I'm basing it off what I seen in the demo, really. I mean, it was quite serious, at least for Minecraft. Well, parts of it.

Green613 posted: »

I don't get the super serious vibe from the trailer at all, in fact, just from the narration of it, to me it gives off kind of a light hearted fantasy type theme to it.

• I'm basically a huge sucker when it comes to Telltale nowadays. If Minecraft: Story Mode comes out and it straight up Sucks, I'm still gonna buy all the episodes and play them 100 times so I absolutely agree with you. That being said, this whole pre-release crap proves that people don't love Telltale as much as they think they do.

Your Profile Picture is amazing btw

lupinb0y posted: »

When you love something, you don't just love the fun and exciting stuff (TWD, TWAU, etc) you like. You love the "flaws" just as much. The on

• much better than the first trailer

• Hehe thanks!

:P

tintin1029 posted: »

I'm basically a huge sucker when it comes to Telltale nowadays. If Minecraft: Story Mode comes out and it straight up Sucks, I'm still gonna

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited October 2015

That being said, this whole pre-release crap proves that people don't love Telltale as much as they think they do.

I think it lies more in people thinking that Telltale can't do family games and should only stick to mature games. However, prior to Walking Dead, Telltale made lots of family friendly games - several of which still had great narratives that were emotional and resonated with people. Sure, if I were in Telltale's position, I'd have probably picked a franchise that had a more established universe while still being family friendly if I wanted to show the new mainstream audience from Walking Dead onward that Telltale can also make compelling games that aren't about zombies. However, I still think Telltale will do a good job irregardless of whether or not they primarily aim for kids or adults in any of their games.

Modern Telltale fans had similar concerns when Borderlands was announced, as not only did they think Borderlands had a shallow story about memes and guns (like how people now stereotype Minecraft because of some people in the fanbase), but they were also baffled that Telltale would be capable of anything beyond interpersonal drama since they only knew Telltale from Walking Dead (or maybe Wolf, which people also initially disliked - just like Borderlands, Minecraft, etc). However, people now say they love the comedy in Borderlands, and several even say they like it just as much - if not, more than Walking Dead: Season 1.

If there is anything to be gleamed out of this, Telltale is not a one trick pony. Even though Telltale's new mainstream audience only up until recently knew them from Walking Dead, they are slowly starting to broaden their palette as they try other Telltale games like Wolf, Borderlands, etc that they typically would've dismissed for not being based off of a pop-culture hit of a movie or a tv show they already knew like Breaking Bad, Star Wars, Hunger Games, or any other mega franchise that would allow Telltale to write more mature interpersonal drama games like Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. Wolf showed people that Telltale could make compelling games even with an eccentric premise that wasn't already based off of a TV show or movie they knew, Borderlands showed people Telltale can make them laugh, and hopefully, Minecraft will show people that Telltale can make good games that aren't strictly for mature audiences. Sure, you don't have to like Minecraft and it's understandable if you don't want to play a game aimed mainly for kids, but that doesn't automatically make the game bad just because you don't personally like it.

[EDIT: I should clarify, when I say "you" it's rhetorically referring to people in general. I know you were defending Minecraft. :P ]

tintin1029 posted: »

I'm basically a huge sucker when it comes to Telltale nowadays. If Minecraft: Story Mode comes out and it straight up Sucks, I'm still gonna

Sign in to comment in this discussion.