Linux/SteamOS Port

Hi. My name is Dave, and I'm a programmer here at Telltale. I would like to talk about Linux. First of all, I work on the engine, so I'm not really the person to ask about business or game design.

But, I am a Linux user at home, and have been for many years. I've been itching to write a Linux port for the duration of my time here at Telltale. As a result, I would like to ask the community if there's any interest in a Linux/SteamOS port? And perhaps more importantly... would there be any interest in participating in a closed beta of such a thing? Any hardware or distro will do... I can't promise you it would work on your particular setup, but I would of course want to support as wide of an ecosystem as possible. Since Linux is such a diverse culture, it's desirable for community help in testing. And no, this port would not (negatively) affect the quality of our other platforms.

I hope this is of interest to you. If interested in participating in a beta, please email me at linuxtest@telltalegames.com with details about your OS and hardware. I'll get back to you soon.

Thanks for your attention.

Comments

• edited October 2015

Nice idea, I'll help you.

• edited October 2015

As long as you target the steam-runtime it should run properly on any Linux system :) Btw, it's great to see it coming to Linux, I hope than the same will apply for your other games (at least your future games, even if I would like to see TWD running on the OS too). I will give my support by buying the game after it reaches the platform (and make it count as a linux sale).

• Such great news.

I'm in. I've been running TTG's stuff on wine since The Wolf among Us was out, and it runs well so far, but a native port would be amazing!

• Already emailed you. I'll do my best to help you whatever I can to see any of your games ported to Linux. Haven't bought the game yet, but it's on my list

• I haven't posted here in over a year, but your comment on GOL brought me back. I'm happy to hear that you've been working on a Linux port, since I have very fond memories of playing many of Telltale's earlier games. I'm personally more interested in the more traditional adventure games, and I don't have a ton of spare time for testing, but if it can help bring more of TTG's games to Linux, I'll do my best to provide useful feedback.

• Yeah, I'd love to help test and debug. My system is Manjaro (Arch-based).

(Hey there, flesk. :)

• I'm with Flesk. I don't have much interest in Minecraft or any of the other IP Telltale seems currently invested in (with the exception of BTTF), but if there's a chance that this could help bring legacy franchises like Sam & Max, Monkey Island, SBCG4AP, JP, BTTF, Puzzle Agent or Poker Night to Linux, then I'd be glad make time to help.

In terms of gauging interest from existing Telltale customers, giving this thread a bit of a bump might stir up some activity. I suspect there are a lot of older community members like myself who have drifted away but are still subscribed to that.

• I agree with Cheese and Flesk. I'm not really interested in Minecraft as much as Sam & Max, Monkey Island, BttF, SBCG4AP and Bone, but I'm glad Telltale has interest in Linux. I know I won't have time to help with testing extensively, but I'd be happy to help out with testing builds when I can. I'm on Arch Linux with Nvidia proprietary drivers.

• I would love a linux port of the TT game engine. Agreed with the others that I'd love the older games more so then the newer games, but I'd be plenty happy with the new Minecraft one especially if that means it opens the door for future games to be on linux too.

For me it's mostly about backlog and that the older games are more point and click oriented, which happens to blend well with my linux workstation and where I'd actually be playing them. ;)

Count me in.

• Yes!! Linux, linux, linux! I would get all your catalog if it was available for Linux...

• Yes, I run Ubuntu on my computer and I would love to be a part of any beta you have.

• Count me in if you do a Linux port.

• I no longer have the patience to use Wine for gaming, so I've been missing out on your games lately...
    I would LOVE to be able to play your new Minecraft game :D

• I just emailed but wanted to also register and voice my support here as well.

As a lifelong adventure game fan, a Minecraft fan, a linux user and a fellow programmer.. this makes me very, very happy! Thank you for your support Dave; Linux wouldn't have the games it does without folks like you.

• I'm not specifically interested in Minecraft Story Mode. But if this effort leads to the back catalog being ported to Linux/SteamOS then I can't applaud this enough.

• I would very much be interested in participating in such a beta. My two linux setups are Manjaro (Arch based) and Ubuntu.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited October 2015

I triple boot in Mac, Windows, and Linux (Ubuntu), and would definitely be willing to give Minecraft: Story Mode (or any other game by Telltale) a play through in Linux. I've played Telltale's games on almost every system they're available on so far (except for Xbox One and Vita), so playing through on another platform definitely would be right up my alley. :D

• Thumbs up! I would love to support the effort and make Linux gaming community sound get heard. I'm all in!

• dbradydbrady Telltale Alumni

Thanks for all the responses and interest. I've gotten a LOT of email over the past couple of days. We aren't ready to start the test quite yet, and it'll be at least a few more days, but you'll be contacted by email if you're selected for the beta group.

• I've sent you a mail and i'm very interested in participating as well, feel free to inquire for further information.

• A Linux port hey? Might be buying it after all.

• I currently don't own any Telltale games, and pretty much just because of the lack of Linux support. Really nice to see that there are Linux advocates on the team :)

And yeah, I'd be interested in helping with a beta. I'm currently a Comp Sci student, and good at doing bug reports.

• As others have already mentioned, I may not be specifically interested in the Minecraft story. But especially if this leads so some other titles, including The Walking Dead story, making its way to Linux. Then I am all for it! I would be more than willing to participate in a beta, and even if I'm not interested in the Minecraft game I would still buy it just to support the Linux effort here.

• I'm very interested in Minecraft Story Mode, and I would be very happy to participate in the beta. As a programmer, I know how to submit good bug reports (or at least I'd like to think so). As luke_nukem and others have said, I'd also buy a lot more Telltale games in general if they were available on Linux - your games are great, but almost nothing is worth booting into Windows for :P

• gentoo with amd videocard would love to beta test this game on linux, telltale games on linux == awesome!

• edited October 2015

As a result, I would like to ask the community if there's any interest in a Linux/SteamOS port?

Yes, please! Been wanting ports of the Telltale series of games for the longest time.

And perhaps more importantly... would there be any interest in participating in a closed beta of such a thing?

Of course! Shooting over an email.

• I'd buy minecraft story mode in a heartbeat if it was on Linux/SteamOS! I'm also happy to beta test the linux port, I'm running Arch linux with an amd cpu/gpu.

• I too will buy Minecraft Story for Linux/SteamOS! My 3 kids and myself currently play Minecraft and they have all shown great interest in Minecraft Story. I would be willing to beta test as well. Ubuntu Linux and Linux Mint with various hardware configurations.

• Well although Tales from the borderlands works ok under wine I still would prefer a native port of something like that. So yes.. if you would be willing to port the engine across I feel sure that there would be a market for new TellTale titles. Some of your titles rock :)

• I just finished The Walking Dead season 2 and I liked it a lot, but I didn't like the fact I had to boot on Windows. If other Telltale games are available on Linux it would probably motivate me to test them too.

• Add another penguin here!

I would like to try out the beta on linux, so I'm sending you right now an email :)

At last! We will have TTG titles on linux!!!! \o/

• Please push for Linux support ....we are a windows free home and my daughter would love Minecraft story mode

• Hi

I'm not a fan of Minecraft but I would love to see some other titles for Linux. Like "Tales from the Borderlands" and"The Walking Dead".... or bloody "Hector"! :)

Ubuntu user

• Any Telltale games on Linux?

Yes, please :-)

• That would be great! Yes, Please.

• My sons and I would be hugely interested in having Telltale games on Linux.

• I'm interested to participate in beta and would buy the game if it were released on steam for linux!

• I have a SteamOS Machine and I'm interested in participating in the Linux Beta. Thanks dbrady!

• I'm definitely interested in seeing telltale games on Linux and I would love to participate in a closed beta.

This discussion has been closed.