The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• edited December 2016

Sean Taylor (Washington Redskins Safety, shot & killed at age 24)
    April 1st, 1983 - November 27, 2007

I was just thinking this guy would've been a NFL Hall of Famer, for sure. He was the hardest hitting football player that I grew up watching.

(Gotta click on link since it's NFL footage)

• edited December 2016

COOCKIES

AronDracula posted: »

I'm re-downloading Doom because I couldn't go through the next levels while playing. I thought it was finished but I saw that it has 76.656 GB. This wait is gonna be a pain in the ass because it'll probably take the whole night.

• I think I will do a Sex Fantasy- I mean Final Fantasy XV review not that other game I have on PC for... Reasons

• What?

TheDerpGod posted: »

COOCKIES

• I heard that the game developers behind Batman Arkham Origins were making a game based on Suicide Squad, but unfortunately, it was cancelled and they are making a new Batman game instead.

• I heard too, this new Batman game sounds pretty damn cool though.

I heard that the game developers behind Batman Arkham Origins were making a game based on Suicide Squad, but unfortunately, it was cancelled and they are making a new Batman game instead.

• I hope it's like the Arkham games but with a different story, a different villain and for God's sake without Batmobile.

I heard too, this new Batman game sounds pretty damn cool though.

• edited December 2016

It is set in the Arkham verse and you will be playing as Damian Wayne, and it is set 10 years after Batman Arkham Knight. The Gotham city in this one will actually be populated with civilians, and cars and what not. Villains will still think that Bruce is still Batman, you'll will often hear villains say "Hey Brucie" and etc. It's open world btw. I'm missing out on a lot of other things, because it would take a while to type out.

This is all rumors and some Redditor said all this. I hope it's true.

I hope it's like the Arkham games but with a different story, a different villain and for God's sake without Batmobile.

• Not until you actually give Andy the beating he deserves

Hey, I finally reached 1,500 likes! Can I sit at the forum's cool kids table yet?? ... ... ... Please?

• I can finally sit at the Cool Table

enter image description here

• 3,840 more likes and I will be able to join you.

dojo32161 posted: »

I can finally sit at the Cool Table

• That reply deserves way more +1s than this.

WarpSpeed posted: »

Whatever a spider can.

• Maybe u r getting old and need to drink tea and see children playing in the park?

I was, I just...I just don't know.

• [removed]

• Just recorded a video for New Years. It's pretty long, but I put my heart and soul into talking during it, there's a lot of important stuff I've wanted to say. I hope whoever watches it gets some kind of inspiration or help from the video.

• Nice job dojo.

• So I was browsing Netflix a few days ago to look for something to watch during a long car ride that I would be taking the day after and I stumbled across a french animated series titled "The Long, Long Holiday". It's about a group of kids in a small village in France, specifically a brother and sister as they live through the nazi occupation of World War II (up until the end). Ya know, for kids!

This is the best animated (mini) series I have seen since Over the Garden Wall. It gets really really dark. As in people, including children, get killed off due to the war going on around them. The french don't fuck around.

Most of the series is relatively light hearted and fun at times, so it isn't all doom and gloom. There is a perfect blend between the drama and everything else. Sometimes it's just kids being kids, goofing around and playing games then sometimes it's kids avoiding gunfire and explosions.

There's the original French dub and the English Dub and I can safely say that both are really well voice acted, with the French dub being the best (makes you feel more immersed) with English subs activated.

• edited December 2016

Trump has finally broken his silence on press conferences and has held some of the most bizarre and error-filled conferences in history.

Highlights include Don King waving a Russian flag.

enter link description here

The last press conference he held was SIX MONTHS ago, during which he told Russia to hack Hillary.

• edited December 2016

Congratulations, Dojo!

I am just 17,479 likes away!

Fuck.

• I love FF15 but this is dumb I will not hold back in my review

• That moment you stop with your medicine and can't stop yourself from eating everything in the closed and put on some weight... Damn curse you no medicine doctors

• I just finished playing Resident Evil 0. I liked it but I enjoyed Resident Evil HD Remake and 4 much more. Still a great game though.

• Just made another video for my cat's channel yesterday - Click if you interested. Now will do a cleaning in my followed topics list, since most of them are either abandoned or forgotten.

• Don't worry, buddy!
    I've still got 27,878 likes.... to... go....... Oh.

Congratulations, Dojo! I am just 17,479 likes away! Fuck.

• Oh yeah, I saw Sing last night. It was.... much better than I had hoped. And I hoped it to be good, too.
    It probably stands right up there against Zootopia and Finding Dory as the best animated movie in 2016. (Though I haven't seen Moana yet, and I've heard good things about that so.....)

• I will take it as my duty to see you reach 30,000.

AChicken posted: »

Don't worry, buddy! I've still got 27,878 likes.... to... go....... Oh.

• And the Milo thread was closed why exactly?

• Whats on my mind?

I LOVE WITCHER 3

• This might sound stupid but I want to play Resident Evil 5 and 6 even though they get bad reviews.

• edited December 2016

I finally got around to watching Richard Donner's Superman and it was a pretty solid flick with good character development and a very likeable Superman.

It's no surprise that it's light years ahead of whatever crap Snyder spits out nowadays.

• Playing as Wesker in Resident Evil 0 is AWESOME!!!!!

• Definitely gonna get banned for this but I don't give a solitary fuck anymore. This website is fucking ridiculous now. Gotta love the tons of threads being closed down recently on political topics. People having genuine discussions, level headed arguments and very few instances of super bullying. But I guess the mods don't care huh. Anything offensive absolutely NEEDS to be taken down so none of the special snowflakes get offended. So now we have a fuckload of new guidelines and rules which, while I absolutely despise using this term, it's pretty accurate. A lot of these new rules and recent thread take-downs are fucking with freedom of speech. None of what I've seen said is hate speech. Go ahead and ban me, permaban me in fact. But if no one's gonna have the fucking cojones to call this, and a ton of other things like it out, might as well be someone who really doesn't care anymore either way.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited December 2016

I didn't lock the thread because of the discussion going on in the comments, but because of the context that the thread itself was posted in. I agree that the discussions going on in the comments from other users was fine and people are entirely welcome to resume their discussions about the wage gap, feminism, etc in other threads. The only problem I had was that the video did not deserve a thread just because Trump said a quippy, anti-intellectual one liner. The video itself was anti-intellectual and did not deserve its own thread, but the same does not apply towards the comments users were posting in response to it - which is why I said that they are allowed to make a new thread or continue discussion in another existing thread.

EDIT: While we are on the topic, which of the new guidelines in particular do you have problems with? (Neither of the thread closures were in relation to the new guidelines, before you ask.)

Definitely gonna get banned for this but I don't give a solitary fuck anymore. This website is fucking ridiculous now. Gotta love the tons o

• enter image description here

I mean we all get it, some threads aren't appropriate, and sometimes mods have to close them when they're getting out of hand, but for example the "Milo" book thread got closed almost instantly, and for no reason. Nothing had even happened yet. Then when I asked about it, I got no response.

Definitely gonna get banned for this but I don't give a solitary fuck anymore. This website is fucking ridiculous now. Gotta love the tons o

• ...and I closed the Milo thread because it was just going to attract inflammatory comments instead of civil discussion. As I said with the Trump video above, it's fine if you want to have discussion about various social issues such as how far political correctness is going or whatever else, but if you are genuinely interested in those topics, make a thread about the topic itself instead of making the thread revolve around some figurehead whose appeal is being controversial just for the sake of it.

JonDee013 posted: »

I mean we all get it, some threads aren't appropriate, and sometimes mods have to close them when they're getting out of hand, but for examp

• edited December 2016

...and I closed the Milo thread because it was just going to attract inflammatory comments instead of civil discussion.

It should have still been given the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion. It was a pretty straightforward point of discussion, over what people think of the fact Milo got a major book deal...

As I said with the Trump video above, it's fine if you want to have discussion about various social issues such as how far political correctness is going or whatever else, but if you are genuinely interested in those topics, make a thread about the topic itself instead of making the thread revolve around some figurehead whose appeal is being controversial just for the sake of it.

I don't think that's a fair characterization at all. His appeal is that of a hunger many people have for a counter cultural figure, someone who flagrantly espouses views people just aren't allowed to express openly in public life anymore. And the immediate censorship over the mere mention of his name does nothing but validate the stuff he says.

...and I closed the Milo thread because it was just going to attract inflammatory comments instead of civil discussion. As I said with the T

• First, I'd like to mention I wasn't calling out you in particular. It's a bunch of issues I have with all the mods, which unfortunately includes you. But I'm not attacking you and you alone. Second, one guideline I have a HUGE issue with is that a post is supposed to be worthy and have a reason to exist? You're moderating an online forum, not some Golf Lodge or something. Shitposts are unavoidable, and it's unfair to make it a rule that a post has to be "worthy". It's just stupid. I get it, you want to tighten up rules since the backlash from Season Two, whatever, but I really hope you and the other mods realize that for a lot of people on here including me, that these new guidelines and stricter punishments for petty things are both killing the site for us.

And I also want to mention what JonDee said below which I thought was an excellent point.

It should have still been given the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion. It was a pretty straightforward point of discussion, over what people think of the fact Milo got a major book deal...

You should never just remove a thread because you know there's gonna be backlash. There's fucking backlash everywhere, this is the internet. If you were the most charismatic, perfect and nice human being in the world, you'd still get backlash for anything you say or do. Yes, a thread on a serious or sensitive subject like what happened with this Milo guy can cause serious issues, but to remove the thread before a REAL discussion gets going just because you know something like that's gonna happen, instead of, gee, I dunno, just dealing with it when it actually does happen? That's pretty lame to be honest.

The only problem I had was that the video did not deserve a thread just because Trump said a quippy, anti-intellectual one liner

But the actual, well thought out and debatably important discussions that Flog, JonDee, BetterToSleep, ForClementine, Megadog, RavenStorm and DillonDex were all having didn't deserve at least a thread merge/move? Nah, let's just remove the whole fuckin' thread even though the initially useless subject that started the thread lead to something interesting that MAYBE needed to be talked about!

I agree that the discussions going on in the comments from other users was fine

Then why not just merge or move the thread instead of setting the conversation to a screeching halt? Yeah I get you say in the next sentence that they're welcome to continue the discussion in a different thread, but that also makes no fucking sense. If you know they're just gonna move the conversation to a different thread anyway, and even encourage it, then why remove the thread in the first place and destroy the current conversations instead of....

A: Merging the thread with another.
    B: Renaming the thread and giving it a mod edit.
    C: One of the choices above this one.

But I'm just a stupid teenager, my thoughts on the matter clearly don't mean jack shit, it's all about the mods. Keep running it how you wanna run it, whatever. But don't expect that people won't call out the flaws in this platform and it's lack of being fixed or at least adjusted.

I didn't lock the thread because of the discussion going on in the comments, but because of the context that the thread itself was posted in

edited December 2016

I can understand the appeal in theory, since I do agree that certain portions of people on the left have bad tendencies of not hearing out other opinions or being too easily offended over minor issues and lacking resliniency in other cases, but that being said, some of the recent changes in my moderation style are more revolved around trying to get this forum to become more civil in several areas.

Although I lean left socially, I do not lean so to an extent that you may think my moderation choices indicate. I recognize the importance of being open minded and exposed to new ideas to challenge your preconceptions, as well as how free speech means [gasp] hearing opinions you do not like. My choices are not due to me being offended by Milo Y., Trump, etc, but rather, my focus as of late is trying to get the forum community to aim for posts that are more civil and of a higher standard. Going back to my point that free speech means hearing different opinions, I wanted to respect that with my earlier moderation style so I tried to let discussions go their own way for the most part, barring people breaking the forum guidelines or the likes. However, the culmination of several recent activities and trends among particular groups of users on the forums in the past few months have brought to my attention that I unfortunately might have been too lenient in letting some things slide.

Ironically enough, this might surprise you and Clemmy to hear coming from me, but I am not a fan of sites with moderation that bans/punishes people just for having the wrong opinions, which is why I was otherwise fairly lenient on certain things previously. Again, I recognize the importance of hearing out other opinions and being challenged. The recent changes in my moderation as of late are not because we are trying to cater to the "Special Snowflake" demographic of users that get easily offended, but rather, I am trying to fix certain issues that I have seen culminate through having particular bits of information come to my attention as a mod, on top of observing how some parts of the forum culture have changed over the years.

I have no problem with people having conservative opinions or challenging the status quo - as I said, the point of a forum is to be exposed to other opinions and in some cases challenged - , but my point is, I am trying to do some house cleaning by making changes that will eventually foster a culture here where people on either side of the spectrum on an issue will make smart, respectful posts regardless of where their opinions lie. I would like for people to have discussions about things like political correctness, feminism, the wage gap debate, etc because they think those topics are interesting, and not because they felt obligated to make a thread about those topics under the context of Trump making some quippy one liner or Milo Y getting a book deal.

JonDee013 posted: »

...and I closed the Milo thread because it was just going to attract inflammatory comments instead of civil discussion. It should ha

edited December 2016

Well, you should probably direct your anger at me because I have made the majority of the push towards the new Forum Guidelines and I closed both of the threads. That is not a passive aggressive comment, but rather, I say that because I don't want other mods getting caught in the cross fire.

EDIT: I have read the rest of the post. I was already considering a thread merge. Unfortunately, we can not split posts from one thread into another without doing a whole merge.

However, you or JonDee are welcome to make a new "Wage Gap/Feminism thread" and I will merge the old posts/flag the post with the video so that the intelligent discussion can resume, and people can focus on that instead of Trump's comments. Please read my newest response to JonDee for more context behind my recent change of heart in regard to moderation choices.

EDIT 2: (Apologies for all of the edits; I know these show up in your profile feed so I try not to do it so much)

I will touch upon a couple points:

You should never just remove a thread because you know there's gonna be backlash.

It varies to an extent on the thread context. Unfortunately, we do sometimes close threads because of expected backlash. It's just something we judge using our intuition and experience as mods.

You're moderating an online forum, not some Golf Lodge or something. Shitposts are unavoidable, and it's unfair to make it a rule that a post has to be "worthy". It's just stupid. I get it, you want to tighten up rules since the backlash from Season Two, whatever, but I really hope you and the other mods realize that for a lot of people on here including me, that these new guidelines and stricter punishments for petty things are both killing the site for us.

...and that varies by each forum and its culture. On average, yes, forums may typically have lots of shitposts and the likes. However, some forums do have a culture where the collective expectation is a higher posting standard. I previously had a moderation style that was more inclined to treat the forums as you suggested, where people had less restrictions as long as you were not breaking the forum guidelines, but things did not exactly work out in more ways than one. I know you probably think I am only alluding to some portion of people doing crappy things during Season 2, but there are also several other problems - some public, some not-so-public, that I am trying to fix. I know I am being vague, but even if you disagree with my choices, I at least hope that you can trust me in that there is more going on with this than what you can see from the outside, at surface value.

First, I'd like to mention I wasn't calling out you in particular. It's a bunch of issues I have with all the mods, which unfortunately incl

Sign in to comment in this discussion.