The Whatever's on Your Mind Megathread

Comments

• You're lucky everyone boycotted Amazon this year.

I say that now but you guys probably still sold record numbers of everything.

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it is time for holiday shopping. Black Friday, Cyber Monday, and all the Christmas deals that are m

• Oh we did, my Amazon stock is fucking soaring. My 16 shares are up to over $50,000 in value at the moment, and since I can't cash them in for another 2-4 years, it's just going to keep going and going.

4k60fpsHDR posted: »

You're lucky everyone boycotted Amazon this year. I say that now but you guys probably still sold record numbers of everything.

• 20 minutes into quarantine and chill and he gives you this look

• You're lucky everyone boycotted Amazon this year.

Wait, they did? Why? (I can assume why, but still. Haven't heard about this.)

You're lucky everyone boycotted Amazon this year. I say that now but you guys probably still sold record numbers of everything.

• Some people were trying to argue Amazon wasn't doing enough for people's safety. Frankly, and I say this as the former Social Distancing Manager for my entire building, it was hogwash. Amazon was doing everything in it's power to keep people safe and provide the necessary equipment to protect people. But at the end of the day, human behavior was the main culprit, it's just easier to blame the corporate entity. When you choose to keep your mask down below your neck, talk to people two feet in front of you, and not wash your hands, is that your fault or Amazon's fault? And again, speaking from experience because it was my job, it was a lose lose situation. If we went too hard on people, they got angry and complained. If we lightened up, people got angry and complained because we weren't doing enough to prioritize safety.

For the longest time, Amazon was giving associates more money per hour (when we already pay people a minimum of $15 per hour), double overtime, unlimited time off, no questions asked, loosened the rules on phone usage, gave longer breaks, halted performance reviews, and hired hundreds of thousands of people amidst a crisis that saw most industries lay people off. We're still doing some of this stuff and just announced another bonus of $300 for all hourly associates (managers like me get nothing), so frankly, people calling for boycotts is ludicrous.

AChicken posted: »

You're lucky everyone boycotted Amazon this year. Wait, they did? Why? (I can assume why, but still. Haven't heard about this.)

• edited November 2020

Apparently Paramount might be interested in creating another Avatar series for their Paramount+ (formerly CBS All Access) streaming service. It's not a confirmation and more of just a "it'd be cool if we did this" that the CEO of ViacomCBS offhandedly said.

I hope that it does end up happening, and if it does I really hope that they bring back the original creators for it. I wouldn't really trust anyone else aside from Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko to do another iteration justice.

I wonder if it does come back, whether or not they'll make it more modern (maybe sometime between the 80's and now) or if they'd decide to go back into the past and expand on a previously established Avatar kind of like what they're doing now with the Kyoshi books.

• If this does happen, it would be both odd and interesting to see if it competes in anyway with the live action version Netflix is still making. Now that Bryke are no longer involved in Netflix’s version, it certainly does free them up, but who knows. After how badly the two were treated by Nickelodeon, and then by Netflix, they might be a bit hesitant to go at it again.

With that said, if it happens, Paramount will have a subscriber in me. I trust those two with this universe more than anyone. The only other one who I would feel comfortable leaving it to is Aaron Ehasz, and he’s still busy with The Dragon Prince.

I’d love to see a series about Avatar Yangchen, the previous Air Nomad Avatar before Aang. Her tenure as Avatar is highly regarded and praised by people long after her death, and the peace that she created was so strong that it allowed the next Avatar in Kuruk to be a lot more lenient and uninvolved in worldly affairs. Or maybe a series about the 2nd Avatar, that way they can bring back Wan and use him as a spiritual guide for them (similar to Roku with Aang) and show how the world reacts to the creation of an Avatar.

lupinb0y posted: »

Apparently Paramount might be interested in creating another Avatar series for their Paramount+ (formerly CBS All Access) streaming service.

• After how badly the two were treated by Nickelodeon, and then by Netflix, they might be a bit hesitant to go at it again.

They're still doing all the extended universe stuff so I think they'd still be up for it, unless they get burnt a third time.

The only other one who I would feel comfortable leaving it to is Aaron Ehasz, and he’s still busy with The Dragon Prince.

Okay yeah he'd be the only other person I'd trust, but I think he has a good thing going with Netflix for the foreseeable future so I doubt he'd readily switch distributors considering the amount of creative leeway he seems to get especially in comparison with Nickelodeon.

Or maybe a series about the 2nd Avatar, that way they can bring back Wan and use him as a spiritual guide for them (similar to Roku with Aang) and show how the world reacts to the creation of an Avatar.

I'd totally be down for that, especially if it's done in the traditonal chinese painting style like in the "Beginnings" episodes.

I also think it'd be kind of neat that if they were to do a more modern take, technology would be advanced enough to the point that society feels that it no longer needs an Avatar and the series kind of deals with that. Though I have absolutely no idea how I would expand further on that premise other than ending it on the note that the world will always need the Avatar.

If this does happen, it would be both odd and interesting to see if it competes in anyway with the live action version Netflix is still maki

• Considering how some people reacted to the tech advancement in TLOK, and that they did touch upon the idea of the world no longer needing an Avatar and that being a huge part of Korra’s character, I think they would probably go in another direction with it. I’d be down for it if this is what they ended up going for, could be really cool to see, especially with (spoiler below):

It being the next Avatar in the second line and them only being able to call upon Korra and not previous Avatar’s due to Vaatu severing Korra’s connection.

After how badly the two were treated by Nickelodeon, and then by Netflix, they might be a bit hesitant to go at it again. They're st

• Finally, I beat the Darklurker in Dark Souls 2. Whoever thought it was a good idea to just consume one human effigy in order to enter the boss area deserves to get hollowed. Beat this boss once and I'll probably never fight it again.

• edited November 2020

I would like to give special thanks to @dylanwoods777 for helping me out with my assignment regarding mental health a couple months back. Thanks to his assistance, the final interview, podcast and report was a success, and I managed to get a great mark on it :grimace:

You the real MVP.

• Ah I didn't do much, I gave a few questions to use but the rest was all you man, I'm glad to hear you got a great mark :smiley:

I would like to give special thanks to @dylanwoods777 for helping me out with my assignment regarding mental health a couple months back. Th

• Regardless of whether you think your contribution was big or small, you were still a big help and I just want to give my thanks.

Ah I didn't do much, I gave a few questions to use but the rest was all you man, I'm glad to hear you got a great mark

• edited November 2020

Until Dec. 1st, IndieBox is selling all their Collector's Editions for 75%-80% off. This brings them down to $4.99 USD (excluding pricey Covid international. shipping). Fantastic deal for Americans, Okay deal for everywhere else.

https://theindiebox.com/collections/black-friday-sale

IndieBox is a company that makes (or used to) special physical PC Collector's Editions for indie games.
    Now, they've stopped making new ones and are just selling the stock of what's left, but I recognize a few names of some popular cult-hit indies. Their boxes always come with a disc version and a steam code for the game, so you can always add it to your growing digital library.

Personally, I'd recommend Hand of Fate. Fun (if frustrating RNG) Dungeons&Dragons-type choose your own adventure.
    I'd also recommend Galak-Z, a cool and stylish anime-inspired twin-stick shooter.

• Aw yeeeeeeeeeee

• The Librarian is a Witch!!
    • More Nisse Shenanigans!
    • Wood Man is back!
    • Ghost Pirate Ship?!
      ohhh this is gonna be fun. gimme aaaaall that wholesomeness. i've really missed this show...

Aw yeeeeeeeeeee

• edited December 2020

Playing Twin Mirror and I'm noticing an interesting amount of ideas taken out of the final game going by the previews from 2018. It's one thing to rewrite a scene but to take away more dynamic gameplay mechanics than what I've seen so far is hm....Makes me wonder if this was rushed out due to a threat of cancellation. Only 2 hrs in so this is a total stretch. Will play more tomorrow.

• MetallicaRules' Financial Advice of the Day: Certificate of Deposits (or CD's) are a really smart and easy investment opportunity, and are an incredibly low risk one at that. CD's are a lot like savings accounts, but tend to have higher interest rates and last for a fixed term (1,3, or even 5 years) where the money sits and, at the end, you collect it and the interest accumulated. Find a bank, credit union, or any financial institution that offers CD's and ask what their rates and length of terms are. If you've got some money you're not using and are capable of setting it aside for a length of time, I'd encourage as its a small, but beginning step into investing for the future.

Oh God, I've become what I feared most...an adult.

• Oh God, I've become what I feared most...an adult.

If that isn't the truest sentence ever said, then I dunno what it is.

MetallicaRules' Financial Advice of the Day: Certificate of Deposits (or CD's) are a really smart and easy investment opportunity, and are a

• edited December 2020

Yep, they're very easy for anyone to get. Though where I'm from they're known as fixed deposit accounts and in Australia, advanced notice terms deposits. Recently had one end that's been going on for about five years now and it accumulated a pretty decent amount.

Oh God, I've become what I feared most...an adult.

Me when I had my will written out.

MetallicaRules' Financial Advice of the Day: Certificate of Deposits (or CD's) are a really smart and easy investment opportunity, and are a

• Wait what? That released?

Playing Twin Mirror and I'm noticing an interesting amount of ideas taken out of the final game going by the previews from 2018. It's one th

• I'm as stunned as you are.
    I knew there was a new, final release date but I totally forgot when that was. I also totally forgot about the game.

@freelancepolicefan11 It's one thing to rewrite a scene but to take away more dynamic gameplay mechanics than what I've seen so far is hm....

From one of the recent trailers I thought they'd added mechanics. With a new "solve the order of events" thing, rather than the stilted-looking "connect the clues" gameplay they showed around 2018.

@lupinb0y Me when I had my will written out.

Suddenly, Lupin seems a lot older than I thought they'd be.

dojo32161 posted: »

Wait what? That released?

• Lol I'm 24, so still a whippersnapper technically. I just had to get one because of financial reasons.

I'm as stunned as you are. I knew there was a new, final release date but I totally forgot when that was. I also totally forgot about the g

• I appreciate it! Did you receive any feedback on the project or were you given a grade?

Regardless of whether you think your contribution was big or small, you were still a big help and I just want to give my thanks.

• Yeah there was feedback suggesting that I should have used more of my own analysis or research findings to break up certain elements but other than that it was pretty well received.

I appreciate it! Did you receive any feedback on the project or were you given a grade?

• So it seems we'll be getting an Uncharted Movie Trailer at the Game Awards

• edited December 2020

Just finished reading the extra thicc, 320 paged, graphic novel titled, 'Are You Listening?' by Tillie Walden. A story following two women, Bea and Lou, and a mysterious cat on a road trip through Texas. Along the way they come upon the strange town(?) of West Texas, a place that shouldn't exist, where nothing and no one seems to make sense.

Not gonna go very in depth on it, I just wanted to ramble about it for a bit.

First of all, I love the way everything is coloured. It's all very vivid and ethereal, with the best description I can think of being like if a printer ran out of specific colours of ink and replaced them with something else. This is the best description I could think of lmao. The art in general is very good, with the colours and panels changing as a representation of the characters emotions (kind of like Waves, another graphic novel I talked about on here a few months back which I also highly recommend). While it isn't exactly a unique concept, it's hardly derivative.

Much of the book deals with Bea and Lou learning to overcome their own personal trauma and finding friendship and comfort within each other. In terms of character background, you don't really know much about their history aside from specific details. They are kind of "everyman" characters, Lou more so than the Bea, that I think anyone (but not everyone) can relate to or understand, at least to a certain degree. Bea is a little stubborn and untrusting and Lou is blunt and cold and you get to see them slowly change bit by bit. As I've said, much of the book deals with the characters dealing with their trauma and the story does touch upon the subject of rape. Nothing is shown or described in incredibly detail but when it does get brought up my stomach couldn't help but turn. The subject is treated as seriously and respectfully as it should be and I applaud it for that.

The town(?) of West Texas is very 'Night Vale.' It's a place that doesn't follow the rules of reality, a place of impossible space and seemingly endless roads and bridges. It's as whimsical as it is terrifying as certain residents of West Texas don't take too kindly to Bea and Lou's presence. Very little about it is explained and much of how it functions is very much left to the imagination.

I have very little in terms of criticism, but despite its length, the book kind of ends a little quicker than I'd like, also I wish they went a bit more in depth on how West Texas works. It also has a bit of a slow start.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. The author, Tillie Walden, does a great job of making the characters relatable and understandable without feeling like blank slates to act as conduits for the reader. While their histories aren't particularly detailed, they are very much fully realised characters, each with their own sets of quirks and problems. The book is sad and tragic, but at the same time can be pretty funny and surprisingly creepy, with an ending that got me pretty close to shedding a tear. I highly recommend it. I'll probably end up checking out some of her other work sometime down the line.

• edited December 2020

Finished Twin Mirror. I...liked it, but its got issues. Like very obvious this game was rushed out the door. Its got all the pieces to be a really good game, but like every dontnod game it's pacing is its biggest downfall. You spend 2 of the 5-ish hrs interacting with this decently sized cast of characters in this rundown town, but after the 2 hr mark the cast shrinks down to like a consistent 3 people (counting your double). The games mind palace sections have so much potential...but there's 3 in the entire game and one of them takes a max 2-3 mins to finish. It's a dumbed down version of the memory remix sections from Remember Me tbh. I liked them but I wanted like at least 2 more.

However, they do a really cool thing with it in the climax of the game and its surprisingly intense and interesting, which really made me wish that your decisions in these sections mattered for the others. I'm happy I came out of it content enough, but the potential this game had really bums me out. This could have actually been dontnods best if it was the episodic series planned, but as is, its an okay detective "thriller" (using it loose here) with a fun concept and design. I hope it gets a sequel or successor of some kind cause there's something really smart here, its just missing that time it needed in the oven.

• G2A staff are watching over the Tales From the Borderlands subreddit lol

https://old.reddit.com/r/tftb/comments/k4kcz9/wheres_the_add_to_cart_button/gedbekh/

It's a copy and paste message but the account isn't a bot

• That's... Weirdly specific. I wonder why.

G2A staff are watching over the Tales From the Borderlands subreddit lol https://old.reddit.com/r/tftb/comments/k4kcz9/wheres_the_add_to_cart_button/gedbekh/ It's a copy and paste message but the account isn't a bot

• because tales keys sell for $90-110 a pop on G2A. 1 copy of Tales gives them same profits as 5-6 copies of GTA V

That's... Weirdly specific. I wonder why.

• I see, you still did pretty well so fantastic job!

Yeah there was feedback suggesting that I should have used more of my own analysis or research findings to break up certain elements but other than that it was pretty well received.

• Kotaku has published an article that's perfect for people with a huge backlog of games (like myself) and how that backlog can be tackled, I recommend giving it a read, it's actually motivated me to go head on with Red Dead Redemption II:

https://kotaku.com/how-to-chip-away-at-a-massive-games-backlog-1845794480?utm_campaign=Kotaku&utm_content=1606947350&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_source=facebook

• edited December 2020

In interesting news, there's a Fortnite leak going around about an official Kratos skin being added soon.

The official Playstation Twitter has confirmed this with an audio teaser of someone who "has vanquished gods with his bare hands in an uncontrollable rage". Ooh. Spicy.

This is now the third Mature-type character added to Fortnite. The first being John Wick and the second being The Psycho from Borderlands last year.
    (There's also other "hunters" that will be added throughout the season, so I'm interested if any others are going to be some violent-type murder machines (Terminator? Predator? Samus Aran?... Idk, this is just interesting for a game aimed at kids.)

• So...

I had a strange dream. Some dude broke into my house in it, and I went fucking beserk on him...

For visual representation, this is basically what happened in my head.

• Wow...

Tears

• So it looks like Cyberpunk 2077 is coming out on a few days and I can't wait for it come out! It is going to be awesome. But,i am obviously picking Corporate lifepath on both female and male Vs. Third time will be street kid.

So who's picking what exactly? I hope someone can make a poll on this. Maybe the mods can help with that. Still i am excited for this game. Pls let it be awesome. Also it is also interesting that Best Buy kinda of fucked up when they deliver the game to ppl before it came out in a few days. Ugh those lucky bastards.

• edited December 2020

New profile picture time

Sign in to comment in this discussion.