The Walking Dead: Nebraska [Interactive story, Character submission open, CHAPTER 1 RELEASED]

edited November 2015 in Forum Games

The Walking Dead Nebraska

Colby Wright, a 27-year-old man, was just another person living at Howe's, with the group whom he had arrived with two weeks earlier. He never liked the place, despised everyone, labeling them as selfish idiots. When Howe's is overrun by a herd of walkers, he escapes with his group. Now once again on the wilderness, they depart on a new mission - to find refuge in Nebraska. But the task will not be made easy with the hardships awaiting them in their travels.

This is an interactive story, that will sometimes feature choices that are up to the readers to make. The story will be built around the characters you submit. There is no limit to how many characters you can submit so submit away! There will be five episodes, each one varying in the number of chapters, and if this story appears to be successful and well-received, I might carry onto a Season Two. Thanks a lot for reading!

Character Submission: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1OGTwNtL3h0BX_H2Zvr5Ml1n4O0aSO2JBg4Z_vsXVaLE/edit

WARNING: The character statuses below may contain spoilers. Beware!

Characters Introduced: Colby Wright, Bianca Reed, Stefan Angel, Rebecca Ashford, Edward Ashford,

Characters Awaiting Introduction: Sonia Rodriguez, Jeffrey Sohmer, Tiffany Raynes, Frank, Noah Tranzanna, Jay Kennard, Marilyn Dowling, James Dowling, Errol, Lewis Kipling, Lorgar Guilliman, Janet Blom, Vincent Blom, Erica Wong, Raven McCall, Dalvin Finckleman, Mason 'Ghoul' Sayers, Alexander 'Alex' Locke, Vince, Allison Williams, Felicity Gunderson, Petunia Gunderson, Benjamin Murphy, Dennis Edward, Anthea Oaks, Georgette Oaks, Margaux Monceaux,

EPISODE 1 - THE FIVE RULES

• CHAPTER 1 - LEAVE BEHIND NOBODY (Released)

• CHAPTER 2 - NEVER GIVE IN (Coming Soon)

• CHAPTER 3 - ALWAYS FIND EACH OTHER

• CHAPTER 4 - STAY UNITED

• CHAPTER 5 - TRUST NO ONE

EPISODE 2 - THE DARK PIT

• CHAPTER 1 - TAKEN

EPISODE 3 - ALONE AND AFRAID

EPISODE 4 -

EPISODE 5 - THE LAST WINTER

Comments

• Great to be able to rely on your enthusiasm! Hopefully people will start submitting characters so I can start writing.

• THE HYPE IS REAL I'm excited as well hope its going to be a good one, life after HOWE's. Submitting a character too :).

• Thanks a lot for your contribution! I hope so too that this will be a good one.

THE HYPE IS REAL I'm excited as well hope its going to be a good one, life after HOWE's. Submitting a character too .

• edited November 2015

I have submitted two characters, I hope you like them. I'm very excited for this story :D

• Hm, interesting! I've never participated in one of these before, but I'll try putting together a character. Is there a deadline for submissions, or will you just close it off once you feel like you have enough to work with?

• No, there is no deadline. I have no intention of closing the submissions.

Courtenay posted: »

Hm, interesting! I've never participated in one of these before, but I'll try putting together a character. Is there a deadline for submissions, or will you just close it off once you feel like you have enough to work with?

• Splendid. I'll see what I can do!

hihitwd posted: »

No, there is no deadline. I have no intention of closing the submissions.

• I have to say, your characters are really complex and three-dimensional! I already feel like I know how they'd act in every possible situation. Thanks for the characters!

I have submitted two characters, I hope you like them. I'm very excited for this story

• I'm so excited for this! I just submitted a character and I hope you like her! This is gonna be awesome ^_^

• I got her, Tiffany Raynes. She's got a rather interesting personality, thanks for the submission!

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'm so excited for this! I just submitted a character and I hope you like her! This is gonna be awesome ^_^

• I had such a hard time thinking of a surname XD

I got her, Tiffany Raynes. She's got a rather interesting personality, thanks for the submission!

• We can relate, sometimes I have to search through dozens of surnames to match with a character's name.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I had such a hard time thinking of a surname XD

• It's been a long time since I participated in any TWD interactive fanfics and nostalgy striked me so hard I decided to submit some characters.

Good luck! I've also written an interactive TWD fanfic and I know it's kinda hard. Though it's very entertaining!

• Writing is a hard task but always pays off in the end. A big thanks for submitting James and Marilyn, right now the characters are the thing I need most to start the story.

It's been a long time since I participated in any TWD interactive fanfics and nostalgy striked me so hard I decided to submit some character

• Well i'm hyped and i have thrown my two cents in to the mix

• I got your characters, Errol and Frank. Thanks for the contribution, I was really in need for some rather villainous characters.

husmusen posted: »

Well i'm hyped and i have thrown my two cents in to the mix

• Alright guys, I've started planning the story and have an idea of what the first chapter will be. I'll take any kind of characters, but I'm in need of a few villains for the story. It'd be a great help if someone could pitch in a big bad guy for the story.

• DeceptioDeceptio Banned
    edited November 2015

• The hype is real. Just submitted another character, who has big bad guy potential? I don't know, do what you will with her.

• Hey, just found this and submitted a character. Can't wait for it to start.

• Hey , just found out about this ! Really happy .Submitted a character, who is kinda of an ancient vilain reconverted to a good guy , but i love submitting vilains , so i'll submit some vilains tomorrow ;)

• I've seen your character, he seems very interesting!

Dydix958 posted: »

Hey , just found out about this ! Really happy .Submitted a character, who is kinda of an ancient vilain reconverted to a good guy , but i love submitting vilains , so i'll submit some vilains tomorrow

• I'm real glad to see more people participating! Mason (Ghoul?) has an interesting and depressing life story, which will play out really well in the story.

mr.quality posted: »

Hey, just found this and submitted a character. Can't wait for it to start.

• edited November 2015

Glad I found this, I'm excited! Having written my own TWD fanfic I know that it can be hard. Have fun writing it and don't rush yourself to finish a chapter.

EDIT: I just submitted a character who is intended to be a big bad guy for the story (If you would like to use him as such).

• Yeah, I know that it can be a pain in the ass for the readers, but I always try to take some time with my chapters. Anyway, thanks for submitting Vince!

Glad I found this, I'm excited! Having written my own TWD fanfic I know that it can be hard. Have fun writing it and don't rush yourself to

• I'm almost done finishing up the first chapter. I'm expecting on releasing it on November 19th, so gather around tomorrow to read the debut!

• enter image description here

I'm almost done finishing up the first chapter. I'm expecting on releasing it on November 19th, so gather around tomorrow to read the debut!

• Just submitted my characters! Very excited for this

• I have finally submitted a character and maybe I will submit another character later!

• I can't wait! This is gonna be awesome!

I'm almost done finishing up the first chapter. I'm expecting on releasing it on November 19th, so gather around tomorrow to read the debut!

• I have submitted a character and I'am waiting for the story!

• So excited for the release today

• edited November 2015

The Walking Dead: Nebraska

EPISODE 1 – THE FIVE RULES

CHAPTER 1 – LEAVE BEHIND NOBODY

Hell’s about to break loose.

The herd of disoriented walkers, who had no sense of direction and mindlessly shambled after one another, still hadn’t realized that inside Howe’s Hardware there was an abundant buffet. No lights shone through the windows and there wasn’t a single soul roaming on the outside. The silence had long settled, ever since dusk came. Now, the moonlight reflected on the windshields of the vehicles located in Howe’s parking lot.

Within the comfort of the community, things looked promising. The horde wasn’t focused on assaulting the facility and with luck, they would just pass them by. The months spent fortifying the mall had paid off. Except for its weak point. The expansion.

Howe’s Hardware was split in two sections – the main building, sturdy and large, and the expansion. With the growth of the community, an expansion was necessary, so the surrounding buildings were being restored. The problem was that they were terrible when it came to holding off zombies. Holes everywhere which they could crawl through, broken windows, collapsed floors, weak walls, and the list went on. There were barricades built to secure the locations, but they were made with logs and scrap metal, and wouldn’t withstand a massive attack from the zombies.

The dead always win. But with the naïveté instilled into everyone’s brains, that simple sentence was easily forgotten and the problems overlooked.

Colby Wright paced back and forth, his footsteps thumping on the ground. The air reeked of morphine, that nauseating smell that used to be present in every hospital. A row of beds, made without a single wrinkle in the sheets, occupied the room. There was a surgical tray with cutting utensils and a table with pill boxes and syringes.

Bianca Reed was lazily stretched in one of the beds, filling in crosswords from an old newspaper. The footsteps didn’t annoy her one bit, they were just background noise. Edward Ashford, however, was going mad at the repetitive thumping.

“Colby, stop pacing around the room.” Edward said, the annoyance dragging his words. “You’re just making us more nervous.”

“Fuck, sorry.” Colby said, sitting in one of the beds. “Dammit, Rebecca and Stefan should be here by now.”

“Calm down. It’s not like they’re late or anything.” Bianca said, her tone blank.

Colby, seeing that he couldn’t pace now, began tapping the floor with his foot at an accelerated rhythm. He kept it silent, so that it wouldn’t disturb Edward. “I know, but I want us to be all in one place in case the horde attacks the compound.”

Colby was getting a headache. The stress was accumulating inside his head, and even his brain seemed like it was too big, trying to escape the prison that was his skull. He always had an issue with dealing with his stress. It was visible in his knuckles, that were specked with dried blood and had bits of flesh scraped off. It was his method of relieving that pressure. To punch something. Whether it was a tree or a goddamned zombie.

In fact, his life before the outbreak wasn’t very joyous. He lived in a studio, alone. No female companionship. The only friend and lover he had was the red sandbag dangling from his ceiling. He didn’t need a girl’s touch or comforting words to soothe his woes. No. Back then, all he needed was the sandbag. He’d spent minutes, full hours punching and kicking the bag, alleviating his pain one hit at a time.

It was even better when he fought in the ring. The adrenaline pumping through his veins, him approaching his rival like a lion about to attack its prey. The lust for blood glowing in his eyes. The excitement he felt every time his opponent flinched in agony. It was a thirst he needed to satiate.

But after the biters came, he no longer had means to calm his inner demons. Most of the times, he would always find an excuse to fight with walkers. Even if they presented no threat, or if Colby could just sneak past them, he still did it. It was his sole relief. But sometimes there were no walkers around, and so that he wouldn’t punch one of his friends, he accidentally hit a wall with his fist.

“How much time you think it’ll take for the herd to pass?” Edward asked.

“Who knows? Might take them the whole night.” Bianca said.

“Maybe we shouldn’t leave tonight. Maybe once they’re gone.” Colby said.

Edward hung his head below his shoulder. “Shit, I don’t want to spend another day here.”

“I don’t feel any happier knowing that we’ll have to endure another day here.” Colby said. “But we won’t be able to sneak out with everyone on alert. And if we do, all that’s waiting for us outside is the herd.”

“I miss when we used to tag random buildings with that graffiti paint.” Edward grinned. “Remember that time I drew a huge dick on the side of that building?”

“Hell yeah, brother.” Colby smirked, as the two men exchanged a brofist.

“Wait, you did what?!” Bianca exclaimed, rolling her eyes. “You guys act like immature kids.”

“C’mon, a little fun every now and then can’t hurt.” Colby said.

Edward stood up and took off his medical coat, folding it on the back of a chair. Then, he proceeded towards the mirror and looked at his own image. Damn, my hair’s such a fucking mess. Indeed, his auburn hair – that he enjoyed having back-combed – was creating abstract curls. He extracted a comb from his jacket and adjusted his hair, one stroke at a time.

His beard was a whole other problem. Why couldn’t be one of those guys who never grew a single facial hair? He looked like a savage, or a redneck that spent most of his days drunk. His dark stubble contrasted from his green eyes, giving him a bit of an odd appearance. He swore that one day he’d shave it off with a hunting knife. He was still hoping that someday, he’d find a hot girl somewhere out in the wasteland the world had become. Preferably a blonde, blue eyes. He had to be prepared for the event, right?

“You still pay attention to your appearance?” Colby said.

“Shut up.” Edward replied.

“That wasn’t a joke.” Colby said. “After all, hairdressers are necessary in the apocalypse.”

Bianca laughed, but Edward released a heavy breath.Damn, looks like he doesn’t like jokes about his hair, Colby thought.

Bianca went back to her game. She was stuck. ‘Ten word letter. A simpleton individual.’. “Hey, guys, anyone know a ten word synonym for a ‘simpleton individual’?”

“Bianca Reed.” Colby said.

Bianca bit her lip. Dammit, she let herself get caught off guard. Her mind raced, desperately searching for a good comeback, but she couldn’t think of any. In order to counterattack, she just faked a smile, that vanished in an instant.

Colby simpered. Maybe it wasn’t the same thing as boxing, but the battle of wits that often occurred between the two was good to get his mind off of everything. Bianca was ice cold, that’s for sure. She was callous and never expressed her emotions, whether she was hungry or chronically depressed. Her way of expressing herself was sarcasm, but no one was up to her level of wit. Except for Colby. Bianca rarely interacted with other people, but he always seemed glad to have those little insult skirmishes with him.

Friends were a rarity to Colby due to his slightly rude quips, but Bianca challenged him. In a way, they were alike. Both sarcastic and annoying as fuck.

“I can’t believe you have the patience to do crosswords nowadays.” Colby said.

Bianca smiled. The opportunity shined. “And I can’t believe it’s not butter!”

“C’mon, that was a shitty one.”

“You gotta admit, it had a ring to it.”

“Meh.” Colby said, shrugging. “Seemed kind of random to me.”

Bianca opened her mouth to shoot back but instead another noise was heard. One that used to be monotonous and normal, but that now was shocking and out of place. The speakers. The looping messages had been activated – a woman was repeating phrases about sales and discounts. Automatically, Colby stood on his feet and Bianca sat in her bed, the fear vibrating in their spines.

“What the fuck?!” Edward gasped.

The speakers, that were as loud as a moving train when they were on the highest volume, were echoing through the mall and outside of it. One by one, the walkers lurched their heads towards the mall, like it had lit up. The buffet was exposed. In a uniformed choreography, they changed directions and dragged their legs towards the human compound.

“The speakers were supposed to be switched off while the horde passed.” Bianca said.

“Something’s wrong.” Colby said.

Colby jogged towards the door and opened it. His eyes darted towards the broad window on the second floor, that allowed a view inside Carver’s office. It was the only place where the speakers could be turned on. For a split second, he thought he saw a shadow passing by. It had to be someone up there, and it sure as hell wasn’t Carver.

Voices weaved into the air, the population awakening. Colby wasn’t even thinking about the chaos that would soon be braiding into the ambiance – the footsteps banging on the ground, the gun cocks, the clicks of magazines being popped inside the assault rifles, the undead claws drumming on the walls, the blood that would be spilled and the people that would serve was a feast. The intestines were the specialty. No, Colby only cared about himself and his group.

“Holy shit.” Bianca said, peeking through the barred window. “Those walkers are shambling towards here. Thousands of them. This place ain’t gonna hold.”

“How do you know that?” Edward asked. “We’ve had biters before. We might be able to hold off.”

“But this time there are much more of them, plus they know we’re here!”

Colby saw a squad of guards sprinting by him. He thought of asking what was going on, but that wasn’t the most important thing. He had to concentrate on his friends. They were the priority.

“We’re gonna bust out of here.” Colby said.

“Busting out of here?!” Edward demanded.

“This place ain’t gonna hold.” Colby said. “We’ve got to--”

“Wait a minute, Rebecca!” Edward gasped. “She—she and Stefan, we gotta go get them!”

“I’m going to contact them, know where they are.” Colby said, pulling out the walkie-talkie from his belt. He pushed the lateral button. “Stefan, Bec, where are you?!”

Colby, thank God!” The man on the other end with a Norwegian accent spoke. “Man, this is some fucked up shit over here!

“For fuck’s sake, ask him if Becky’s with him!” Edward shouted, running his hand through his hair like he wanted to rip it out.

“Stefan, is Rebecca with you?” Colby asked.

Yeah, she’s with me, yeah.

“Good. Where are you?”

We’re on the expansion site. Those bastards is already beating down the barricades. We’ve taken refuge inside an empty pastry store, ‘cause I’m not sure we’ll be able to get there before they take down the barricades.

“Alright, listen, just hang tight.” Colby said. “We’re gonna get you, okay?”

Fine, brother. Just get here quick. Farvel!” Stefan said.

The radio sizzled, ending the conversation. Colby strapped the radio back onto his belt. “They’re on the old pastry shop.”

“Then let’s fucking go!” Edward hollered, waving his arm. He was already standing at the door.

“We should pass through the outside, by that comic book store. It leads right to the construction site.” Bianca suggested.

“But the fence they built is weak. The thing might give in.” Colby said.

“It’s our quickest route.”

“C’mon, let’s go, for fuck’s sake!” Edward insisted, slamming his palm on the wall to maintain his argument.

“Not just yet.” Colby said. “We have to swing by the armory first, get equipped.”

“Dammit, screw this. I’m gonna go after them.” Edward said, stepping out the door.

Colby grasped his wrist, halting him. “Edward, if we keep being reckless like you’re being right now, we’re all gonna get killed, okay?! Keep it together.”

Edward’s eyes gleamed with frustration, before he softened and let out a sigh. “Fine, but we have to run.”

Without another word, the three of them sprinted to the armory.

The armory was a small room, simple but bountiful with weapons. The cabinets – that used to be locked but were now flung open – had a large variety, ranging from handguns, to assault rifles, to revolvers and melee weapons.

Colby grabbed an AK-47 and shoved a clip inside. He did the same drill with a second rifle, that he slung on his back. Edward just grabbed an M14 in a hurry, not thinking about grabbing extra clips or cocking the bolt. Bianca took a machete.

“Take a handgun, too.” Colby said. “We’re not gonna be doing a lot of hand-to-hand combat.”

“You know I can’t even hit a rhino with a gun.” Bianca said, still taking two handguns that she tucked into her trousers.

Colby opened what used to be the emergency exit. It led to the exterior, but in order to connect the buildings that stretched out through the façade, a fence had been constructed, surrounding the entrances. The fence was being rattled by the hands outside, a metallic clank ringing in the air. One of the buildings formerly was a comic book store.

They had to dash across maybe ten, fifteen meters. Colby heard the nails of the barricades creaking, one of them popping out. Colby stood there, like an invisible wall was in front of him.

“It’s now or never.” Bianca said. “Each second we hesitate, the weaker the fence gets.”

Bianca had no trace of fear in her expression. Edward would have been already racing through the passageway if it weren’t for Colby blocking his way. Colby wasn’t afraid. He didn’t like to be labeled that, it insinuated he was a coward. He was aware of the risks. A totally different thing. He shook his head, dissipating his thoughts. Bianca was right, they couldn’t wait.

“Let’s go.”

Colby led his two friends through the path. Like in a marathon, the finishing line was the door of the construction site – a destroyed store that was being fortified. There was a clang behind him. He glimpsed past his shoulder. One of the metal sheets had been torn out, leaving a huge hole in the fence. Not long after, pairs of skeletal and grey arms slid through the hole, waving in the air like tentacles. But then it got worst.

The boards holding the middle of the fence snapped with a crunch. Like a felled tree, the entire section gave in under the weight of the biters, and collapsed. Bianca saw as the fence declined upon her, and boosted her pace at an insane speed. It still wasn’t enough, as she was yanked to the ground by the fence that trapped her foot, sending her against the concrete. She opened her mouth but no scream came out, just a silent, strangled groan. The fall was like a slap to her entire body. She saw bizarre patterns in the obscurity of her shut eyelids. Her mind was working overclocked, imagining the biters stomping over the breached defenses and lowering down, wrapping their teeth around her neck.

Colby stopped dead in his tracks. He no longer heard the footsteps behind him. He spun around and stiffened. Bianca was on the ground, cornered and trapped, with the pack of biters marching towards her.

His heart tightened. I can’t let her die! Colby whipped out his assault rifle, taking aim. One of his rules was that he always fired on semiautomatic, so that he would calculate his shots and wouldn’t waste ammo. Rules are meant to be broken. He switched to full automatic. His heart seemed like it was about to jump out of his rib cage.

He fired an array at the closest biter. The bullets missed by a mile, the recoil rattling his aim. He cursed under his breath. His heart was beating too fast for him to steady his shot. He took a breath and aimed again. Stay calm. Think about what will happen to her if you don’t make the shot. The walker dropped on one knee, its jaws opening wide to get a chunk out of her flesh.

Colby pressed the trigger. The walker’s head snapped backwards and a jet of blood spewed out the opposite side. Its body slumped to the side. He had to get Bianca now. Shooting the zombies that came to provide her time wouldn’t work, because the rest of the fence was going to fall soon.

Colby hurtled towards Bianca. “Ed, cover me!”

Edward’s gaze shifted back and forth between the end of the alley and Colby. He was viciously chewing his lip. Don’ t tell me he is gonna bail on us. But Edward pulled through and raised his assault rifle. Through his peripheral vision, Colby saw the cadavers dropping one after the other inches to his left, courtesy of Edward.

Colby squatted and slid his fingers underneath the metal fence. He pulled it up, his veins becoming salient in his neck. He managed to create a gap, large enough for Bianca to take her foot. She crawled her way and hopped to her feet, her entire body sore and her ankle pulsating with pain.

“I could’ve gotten away on my own.” Bianca said.

“Don’t be so cocky.” Colby said. “Everyone needs to have someone to watch their back. Besides, it’s the first rule, right?”

The trio scurried inside the vacant store. Colby shut the door and dragged a shelf against the door, knowing that in a few seconds, the fists of the walkers would be heard knocking at the door. “This oughta buy us a few minutes.”

“C’mon, move!” Edward howled, from the other side of the room.

The three escaped through the back door. They were now in a large alleyway, part of a labyrinth that led to all of the stores on the expansion site. There was a watchtower butted against one of the walls, built with the same improvised materials – wood and scrap metal.

“The store Stefan and Bec are at is just around the corner.” Colby said.

He took a step forward, but stopped immediately when a lurker shuffled into the alley. It’s just one. Easy. No, it wasn’t easy. Not a second afterwards, more biters followed behind the first one, until there was an army flooding the alley. A mix of genders and attires, while their united moaning formed a sanity breaking choir.

“Looks like we’re not going through them.” Bianca said, her voice ice cold as always.

“Fuck! Shit! Dammit, we gotta find another way to Bec, now!” Edward said, punching the air.

“There!” Colby said.

Colby pointed his index finger towards the watchtower. The horde had progressed through half of the alleyway already. Time is scarce. Colby intertwined his fingers, making a handstand. Bianca and Edward, one after the other, set their foot on his hands and hoisted themselves onto the tower. Once they were on the top, they dangled their arm over the edge to pick up Colby. Colby jumped and grasped their hands, that hauled him upwards. But before he could reach the summit, there was a force that hunkered him down.

Colby peeked past his shoulder. One biter had wrapped its fingers around his ankle, tugging him down like a harbored boat. Bianca and Edward doubled their efforts past human capacity, but the biter didn’t let go. Colby set his spare foot on the side of the watchtower to push himself up, but he just slipped down at each time. Colby was literally hanging onto dear life. And he wasn’t climbing up. He was slowly falling down.

Bianca utilized her second hand to reach her pistol. She looked down the notch, lining the walker’s forehead with her aim. Her hand trembled. She was sure that her shot wouldn’t be accurate, but it a risk she had to take. This better work.

Her gun barked, the muzzle blinding her. Colby howled, his leg feeling like it had been stabbed. Bianca gasped, having committed a horrible mistake. The bullet had scraped Colby’s leg. Colby grinded his teeth, battling the fire that was spreading through his leg, and used all of his remaining forces to kick the walker in the face. Its jaw cracked in half, and he managed to loosen his foot. But at the cost

• edited November 2015

Nooo, not now! Damn you forums and your stupid character limit!

The Walking Dead: Nebraska EPISODE 1 – THE FIVE RULES CHAPTER 1 – LEAVE BEHIND NOBODY Hell’s about to break loose. The herd of d

• Wow, great start! I love this story already and am dying to see more!

The Walking Dead: Nebraska EPISODE 1 – THE FIVE RULES CHAPTER 1 – LEAVE BEHIND NOBODY Hell’s about to break loose. The herd of d

• Awesome start! ^_^

• edited December 2015

Uh, guys, it appears that the character limit in the forums cut the chapter in two. So, here's the rest.

But at the cost of his radio, that sprang away from his belt and into the void of walkers.

His sweaty hand was beginning to slip. Bianca and Edward clutched his hands, and pulled him up. He was in safety. Colby dropped onto his back, panting, admiring the night sky with blankness after the near-death experience.

“You were right, Bianca…” Colby said. “I ain’t never trusting you with a gun again.”

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry…” Bianca murmured. Oddly enough, her tone carried a slight emotion, maybe regret?

Colby laid on his back, savoring the breath that entered his lungs. If he had given in, he might not have been breathing at that moment. “It’s okay…It just scraped me.”

“Great. Now we have no way to get out of here.” Edward said.

“We should contact Stefan, see where they at.” Bianca said.

Colby reached for his walkie-talkie, but it was no longer there. He let out an annoyed croak. “I think I lost it when I got grabbed. Shit, we got no way of talking to them.”

Stefan and Rebecca looked around the store. Nothing, except for two planks on the floor. Rebecca had her compound bow slung on her back but it wouldn't be enough to face the horde. There was the counter and the multitude of shelves, but they were all empty. The walkers outside rubbed their faces against the windows in a macabre spectacle with a squeaking noise that felt out of place.

“We should find some way to fortify this place.” Rebecca said.

“I know.” Stefan said. “But there’s nothing in this room we can use. Just some planks. We ain’t got nails or weapons, or nothing. We just have to--”

The shattering of the windows pierced Stefan’s ear drums like sharp needles. The glass tinkled as it rained on the ground. The walkers entered the store like young toddlers, tripping over as they passed their legs over the broken windows.

“Find us a way out of here!” Stefan said.

Stefan clutched one of the planks. Without hesitation, he swung it at one of the zombies. The 2x4 made a dent in its forehead, releasing a squirt of blood onto Stefan’s clothes. He kept swooping the plank, dirtying himself with more blood at each kill.

Brenn I helvete! J’vel!” Stefan yelled.

Rebecca darted her gaze in all directions. Her eyes rested on the door leading to the janitor closet, which was their only escape. “The janitor closet.”

Stefan panted, his coat soaked in blood. He dropped the plank –it was too broken down to be of any use now. One of the walkers limped near him. But it just ignored him, and kept dragging its feet along the store. Stefan quirked an eyebrow. What the hell?

Rebecca’s voice brought him back to reality. “Stefan, come on!”

Stefan lurched his head toward her. He darted in her direction and the two squeezed into the janitor closet. Rebecca closed it, immersing themselves in complete darkness.

AUTHOR NOTE: So, I hoped you enjoyed the first chapter! You might notice that the first Episode will be a bit shorter than the others, but quality vs. quantity, right?

I also wanted to speak about another issue. What I’m about to say is going to contradict a statement I’ve said before, but when Episode 1 ends, I will close the character submission. The reason being that if a Season 2 doesn’t happen, I don’t want characters who might be submitted during Episode 5 not to be introduced. If I close the submissions, I know that the character that I’m going to use. This also helps me when it comes to planning the story, because I don’t have to worry about forcing characters into the story at the last hour.

See you all in the next chapter. If you have happen to have any questions, just drop them below.

• Damn, I hadn't noticed that the chapter had been cut. Thanks for the heads up, I just uploaded the missing chunk of the chapter.

Pipas posted: »

Nooo, not now! Damn you forums and your stupid character limit!

• Great (complete) part! I didn't eve notice it was cut off. I thought you ended it like that on purpose. Dumb me. Anyways, great writing. Can't wait for more!

Uh, guys, it appears that the character limit in the forums cut the chapter in two. So, here's the rest. But at the cost of his radio,

Sign in to comment in this discussion.