The Definitive Best Choices List:

Comments

• He doesn't. It's fan art.

alostguy25 posted: »

I seemed to have missed this aspect of the game... When does he make his appearance?

• Roland makes less sense as your Sentinel than Duncan. But neither make any sense as a traitor. Royland was to brutish, pig-headed, and proud to betray his Lord, and Duncan is supposedly concerned with the North Grove. I think that was a poor but easy to grasp bit of storytelling. Low-hanging fruit for telltale.

Royland can still be useful as a little pit bull, barking orders at the soldiers and giving his opinion about defenses, and Duncan can still be useful because he has priorities in the right place (he knows the true value of House Forester...or at least he does until he betrays you... Which was completely out of character).

Staying in the North Grove is very debatable, especially since their forces would be pushed back by a small group of wights of they attack again.

Mira is obviously better off marrying Sir Douche-alot than she is in two separate pieces. Screw Tom, he would have wanted to die saving her anyway.

• It sucked so much for me, coming onto the forums after finishing Episode 5. Everyone was complaining about it so much, and about the traitor scene most of all, but I loved it! Easily one of my favourite scenes in the whole game.

My Rodrik was 100% pro-Royland really. I refused to kiss Ludd's ring, starved the Whitehill Garrison, stood up to Gryff, and brought the Glenmores (and Royland) to Highpoint. I even chose to save Ryon in Episode 3 when Duncan wanted me to expel Gryff.

So Duncan betraying me, under some delusion of saving the family from what he viewed to be Rodrik's recklessness made complete sense. "Refusing to kiss Ludd's ring, even though you knew he'd retaliate! Flagrantly defying Gryff, and leaving Ortengryn to pay the price! Taking Royland and the Glenmores to Highpoint, when the day called for diplomacy! And now, getting Arthur killed..."

"Enough, Duncan!"

"You're not a leader... you're just a wounded soldier trying to prove he's still a man. Hate me for it, but it's the bloody truth... and it pains me to say this, but I wish you never crawled off that corpse cart."

Yeah... the traitor scene is awesome IMO

Maybe when you're always trying to do the right thing. When I went back through and tried to play it according to what I believed to be cano

• Eyes of the beholder and all that. I always felt certain that Royland was the traitor. He is just too militaristic-minded. I am actually surprised it is a determinant choice.

• edited February 2016

I don't mean to be rude, and of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but I feel like you're missing the point of TellTale.

• I don't think so.

Obviously, people can choose whatever they want; there are no right choices. The point of this thread wasn't to tell people--hey, this stuff is right, and if you didn't do it, you're wrong. After all, most of these are choices I didn't even do, as I said.

However, approaching each one objectively, taking all the details into account, I don't see how it misses the point of Telltale to try and analyse which choices would be the best to go with, especially in a legitimate, real-world context. I feel like most people are missing the point of this:

Just my personal interpretation of what I believe to be the best choices in the game, from an objective and pragmatic viewpoint

TaleTellFan posted: »

I don't mean to be rude, and of course you're entitled to your own opinion, but I feel like you're missing the point of TellTale.

• Yeah I might have exaggerated a bit. I only meant that for example saving Bowen doesn't necessarily make for the best outcome. It doesn't help you one bit even though it's the most reasonable since his death doesn't help with anything either.

DillonDex posted: »

I don't think so. Obviously, people can choose whatever they want; there are no right choices. The point of this thread wasn't to tell pe

• I think it can make sense if Duncan is the traitor. If you were playing recklessly, Duncan explains that he leaked just enough information to the Whitehills to keep Rodrik locked down so he couldn't do anything stupid, but none of the game-changing secrets (north grove etc.) which kept the Houses at peace (realistically he couldn't have foreseen Ramsay).

So Duncan was playing both sides without their knowledge to maintain the peace and avoid incurring Ramsay's wrath... but Royland makes no sense whatsoever. He'd better explain himself in season 2...

AronDracula posted: »

Oh stuff it, Duncan being traitor makes no sense, Gregor trusted him about North Grove and he is Gared's uncle. What reaction will Gared have?

• None of them make sense. Duncan has been the Castellan of House Forrester for years and Gregor trusted him only about the North Grove.

Blockb0ys posted: »

I think it can make sense if Duncan is the traitor. If you were playing recklessly, Duncan explains that he leaked just enough information t

• No, ambushing Ludd makes no sesne, poisoning him is the better part because Ludd should be the one to die. Gryff is just a scared little shit.

Hmmm...I disagree with a lot of these, at least from a narrative standpoint (note, however, that I think that there is no such thing as a ri

• I think what you've got to understand is, Duncan doesn't view what he's doing as a "betrayal."

He's simply providing the Whitehills with information because, as he see's it, Rodrik is too reckless and warmongering to keep House Forrester safe. He hopes that, by working in secret with the Whitehills, he can promote peaceful relations between the two Houses, in a way Rodrik can't.

"What I DID, I did for your own good! For HOUSE FORRESTER! FOR YOUR FATHER'S LEGACY!" Is what he says, and what he means.

What he didn't say was: "What I did, I did for my own good! FOR HOUSE WHITEHILL! FOR LUDD'S LEGACY!"

AronDracula posted: »

None of them make sense. Duncan has been the Castellan of House Forrester for years and Gregor trusted him only about the North Grove.

• Ok, but it still kinda ruined them.

I think what you've got to understand is, Duncan doesn't view what he's doing as a "betrayal." He's simply providing the Whitehills with

• edited February 2016

How exactly would you kill Ludd Whitehill? I followed Gryph at the Whitehill's camp outside Ironrath, and I didn't notice there was another possible choice at that point.

How would you rescue Ryon if you killed Ludd? He himself had given orders to kill the boy should anything happen to him. Or would you actually sacrifice Ryon? What's worse, losing Ironrath or an heir of House Forrester? Not to mention that you would be letting your little brother die... What kind of lord would do that?

• When playing as Rodrik, it gives you the choice to go after Ludd or Gryff. You can flick between them. In fact, if you take too long to decide, the game will automatically choose Ludd for you.

And Ryon still gets rescued--just Beskha goes off on her own to do it. It's not so much about you sacrificing Ryon in order to kill Ludd, it's just to see whether you're willing to. After all, Ludd is the biggest threat to House Forrester, and killing him is the only way to ensure, by Ramsay's rules, that Rodrik and the Forresters technically won the war.

rppc1995 posted: »

How exactly would you kill Ludd Whitehill? I followed Gryph at the Whitehill's camp outside Ironrath, and I didn't notice there was another

• I completely missed it, then.

Although I would probably still go after Gryph.

JonDee013 posted: »

When playing as Rodrik, it gives you the choice to go after Ludd or Gryff. You can flick between them. In fact, if you take too long to deci

• I have some questions...i will be glad if you guys answered them too , thanks for your time :)
    1- what is the consequence to tell Lady Elissa Forrester about sword and sacred grove? does it have any effect on the story?
    2- since Duncan is the only one that knows about Grove , is it right to just kill him if he betray us?
    3- if we let the betrayer live what will happen , what is the consequence ?
    4- consequences of letting Asher die , what will happen to his followers and Beshka?
    5-Ludd's daughter...is she really helping us? or she will betray us in the end!
    Thanks guys

• what is the consequence to tell Lady Elissa Forrester about sword and sacred grove? does it have any effect on the story?

You can tell Duncan about it, he will be disappointed but it is never mentioned again.

since Duncan is the only one that knows about Grove , is it right to just kill him if he betray us?

Nah. It makes no diference if someone at Ironrath knows about the grove or not. As long as Gared gets there who will care? Rodrik also knows about it.

if we let the betrayer live what will happen , what is the consequence ?

Your Sentinel dies. The traitor is the one who will save you in the end.

consequences of letting Asher die , what will happen to his followers and Beshka?

If Asher dies Beskha protects Rodrik and wants to avenge Asher. The pit fighters refuse to follow Rodrik. You have to convince them.

Ludd's daughter...is she really helping us? or she will betray us in the end!

Gwyn is a demon who is trying to kill all the Forresters! After all, look at all the times she has tried to murder us. She never, never helps us! She deserves a painfull death for all the bad things she did! Hurrrr!

SadeghDark posted: »

I have some questions...i will be glad if you guys answered them too , thanks for your time 1- what is the consequence to tell Lady Elissa

• Always thought that Mira's decision in the last episode was stupid. We wouldn't be lieing to Margery, or at least my Mira didn't. Helped sera and Margery all this time just for them to then immediately leave me behind.

Game of Thrones: "If you think there's a good ending to this, you haven't been paying attention" (or whatever the hell Iwan Rheon said)

• Many thanks , you helped me to decide my characters fates better now! there is no good ending , but there is a worse and bad... i rather to choose the bad one

what is the consequence to tell Lady Elissa Forrester about sword and sacred grove? does it have any effect on the story? You can te

• Best choices hah. Asher is the best choice. ;)

• enter image description here

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Best choices hah. Asher is the best choice.

• STFU, there is no best choice.

WalkerHH93 posted: »

Best choices hah. Asher is the best choice.

• But...but...but killing Gryff as Rodrik is more satisfying :(

• I dunno about some of those being the best choices. If Margaery finds out that you lied about Sera, she may feel inclined to not help you (and while her epilogue dialogue indicates that she hasn't found out about it as of yet, she did find out if you forged the letter earlier). Using Cotter for blood magic may come back to bite Gared in the butt if it turns out that Sylvi was more helpful, while you and Josera might find a way to defend yourselves without either of those.

• Personally I think all these choices are arbitrary, there is no good or bad choice, because in the end they will ultimately result in the same ending with slight variants. It happens in all TT games.

• My first savefiles choices:

Asher route

Save bowen
    (Gared won't let anyone die, especially not his best friend)

Mini-choice: please Cersei
    (Bow)

Swear loyalty too Cersei
    (Margery will not like our future choices

Choose Duncan
    (Ethan needs a level-head by his side, and his diplomacy is useful)

Meet Ramsey in Hall and give specifically Ramsey the forests (Ethan tried his best until the end too save his house, and told Ramsey to take him over his sister)

Mini-choice:don't ask for Margerys help (cuz she can't)

Episode 2

Don't Forge letter
    (No reason, we can win the betrothal anyway)

Mini-choice:let her help you (why not)

Offer ironwood forests
    (Rodrik loves Elaena and will do anything to save the house)

Don't kiss the ring
    (Rodrik will not submit to Ludd no matter what)

Stand up for Cotter and don't hit Finn
    (Gared will do anything for a friend. And will not let Cotter be bullied)

Stab him and save Tom
    (Mira will not let Tom die, and plus he attacked her)

Episode 3

Save Beksha
    (She's Asher best friend, and is facing a dragon you know)

Don't speak with Tyrion
    (It doesn't seem to matter, but Margery will not like if you walk away with him)

Try not too fight britt and spare him
    (Gared will not betray his oath to Jon snow and killing is just not in his heart)

Mini-choice: strike that jerk (Rodrik ain't afraid of him. Plus gryff is mad either way)

Stand up to gryff and punch him
    (Rodrik will not submit too a fourth-born whitehill, especially not in front of everyone)

Keep the decree (it may be useful in the next game, but this choice may change if not)

Episode 4

Bring Finn (him and Gared are friends now, plus he could use as much help as he can get. And he fears what will happen to finn if left behind)

Hurt Gryff but don't Maim him
    (Rodrik may want to finish him, but he knows nothing good will come of it. Besides, we will kill him later)

Keep seras secret (Mira will not betray her friend, especially after she's the reason she's there)

Take Royland and the soldiers (Rodrik needs as much manpower as he can get, especially with his family coming)

Mini-choice: call Ludds bluff

Let Beksha kill him
    (For Beksha Asher will do anything, plus he had it coming)

Episode 5

Mini-choice: don't tell Daenerys about Bekshas past
    (Asher wants to explain, but he knows Beksha won't forgive him)

Stab Ramsey
    (Obviously you can't kill a t.v. character, but he will be impressed by you)

Mini-choice: headbutt the beast

Spare Bloodsong and help him up (Asher will not kill for no reason, and could use his help against the whitehills. Especially since he respects him)

Mini-choice: impress Cersei
    (Mira is just trying to get on her good side, you can do this by claiming you've lied to Margery and will again)

Tell Tyrion the truth
    (Mira will net sell out for Cersei, and this is obviously the wise choice as he will figure it out by himself)

Spare Royland
    (Rodrik won't risk Asher life, even in this situation)

Sacrifice Rodrik
    (In the end, Rodrik realized Asher was his family's only chance. And he couldn't bring himself to sacrifice his own brother after all that's happened)

Episode 6

Tell Margery the truth
    (Mira will not betray anyone or break her promise to take the blame. Besides, Margery already hates us)

Say no too Morgryn
    (Mira can't bring herself to let Tommen die, and Morgan will get his eventually...)

Give Cotter the poison
    (This may change if it proves to be quite important in the next game. But Gared won't betray a friend just for power. Besides, even if there are repercussions in the next game for this, remember, it's Gared. He'll be fine, he's like the Jon snow of this game.)

Choose ambush
    (I've seen enough game of thrones episodes too know what happens when you try to poison someone)

Call it off
    (Now this may be an unpopular choive, but it guarantees that Gwyn will still love Asher and will him help at the end of the game. Ludd will survive, but the fool has lost the ironwood forests. Even if we lose the war, he has gained nothing and will get his)

Stay at the north Grove
    (Also a tough one, but Gared needs to know what the north groves power is. And as a telltale dev said in an interview about the next game, "the north Grove must never be lost". It's important, and how exactly is Gared gonna get past the wall and all the way too Asher without drawing attention. We will see what the best choice is)

Ending game analysis: cunning strategy
    My characters personalitys:

Gared-always trying to do right and be like lord Forrester, Gared fought with the soul and nobility of a hero and never gave up. Being merciful, nice, and loyal, he showed a personality similar to Jon Snow himself. Gared is the Jon snow of telltale game of thrones as he is the only one who can't die, and is truly worthy of being a Forrester hero.

Ethan-all the way until the end he tried to be a good and merciful lord, trying to please everyone and ensure the forresters survival. He earned the name Ethan the wise for his efforts. Truly a good person, he will be remembered.

Mira-gave it her all too not turn into a monster in all the hardships she endured, Mira did not lose herself or her honor in the end. Even at such high a cost, she embodys someone who is truly incorruptible.

Rodrik-angry with all that's happened to his family and how he couldn't do anything, he fought with strategy most of the time, giving it his best to ensure that his house survived and controlling his own rage best he could. He is truly a smart lord, if a little bullheaded. But in the end he was willing to sacrifice himself for his family.

Asher-was a true Forrester. Often trying not too let all that's happened deter him and trying to have morals, he fought until the end with a true warriors vigor. It's a wise man who realizes when there's been enough bloodshed. Utterly determined and still a joking and loyal man, he is not going to give up on his family no matter what and will be back.

• edited July 2016

It seems like many of these "definitive best choices" aren't the best from a storytelling standpoint, but from a metagaming standpoint.

Kill the traitor because you have the foreknowledge that it will let the sentinel survive? Not only is this metagaming but you're also creating more plotholes by having the sentinel illogically escape certain death (the Whitehills are literally bringing the sword down to kill him last we see) and by also making his emotional sacrifice and goodbye a moot point. Clearly the traitor was meant to survive, as it gives the sentinel an honorable end to their arc and it also sets up a redemption arc for the traitor.

Flee from Mira's attacker? Yeah right. Not only is this a choice that literally less than 10% of all players made (one of the most one-sided choices of the season if not all time), but once again it opens plotholes. Most who fled expected Tom to die, but then he shows up with an excuse that is the GoT equivalent to "I got lucky, real lucky". This little guy managed to kill a trained guard who had the upper hand on him with a rock?? Nope. Fleeing makes Tom surviving seem impossible, it gives Mira significantly less character development, and it also gives a plothole when Tom willingly keeps assisting a person who literally ran away to let them die.

And this will unpopular because of all the Roddy fanboys, but Asher's story in the finale feels much more polished than Rodrik's. Lets see.... in Asher's story you ambush some Whitehills at Gared's old farm, you meet Ludd at the gates and make a plan to kill him, and then you ambush him for one last spectacularly bloody scene in Ironrath's greathall. The whole thing is a great callback to episode 1 and the whole episode I felt like all the arcs were done justice. Hell, the greatsword even makes a significant appearance when Asher is publically named Lord Forrester (AMAZING scene). Meanwhile in Rodrik's, he whines and mourns yet another brother he failed to save, the pitfighters want to turn on him, Ironrath is immediately besieged, and then Rodrik tip-toes through the Whitehill camp like a fucking cartoon character when every soldier should have spotted him. Not to mention a ton of plotholes, such as Ludd/Gryff being inside Ironrath with HORSES when the gate hadn't even fallen yet. With Asher's it makes sense because they brought a small garrison inside the gates for the wedding. With Rodrik they seemed to have either teleported, catapulted themselves and their horses over the wall, or just squeezed through a one foot gap in the gate. Plus Rodrik's voice sounds like he is trying too hard to be tough, just not my preference at all. Asher's story > Rodrik's story in basically every single way except for Gryff's death. I know I'm probably going to catch some hate for my opinion but that is because I make good points that challenge the Rodrik-centered status quo around here.

• It seems like many of these "definitive best choices" aren't the best from a storytelling standpoint, but from a metagaming standpoint.

Well, I did say from the beginning these are a mixture of choices that I view the best in both a narrative and objective, pragmatic sort of sense, with the latter being the most important.

Kill the traitor because you have the foreknowledge that it will let the sentinel survive?

Well, of course not, I'm saying that's why it's probably the best choice; since it ensures the survival of your Sentinel, which obviously is more important, objectively, than the survival of a traitor.

Not only is this metagaming but you're also creating more plotholes by having the sentinel illogically escape certain death (the Whitehills are literally bringing the sword down to kill him last we see) and by also making his emotional sacrifice and goodbye a moot point. Clearly the traitor was meant to survive, as it gives the sentinel an honorable end to their arc and it also sets up a redemption arc for the traitor.

In the heat and chaos of battle, anything can happen, we never see the Sentinel get wounded, so while unlikely, it's not impossible they could have escaped somehow.

And while the traitor-redemption arc is certainly fine from a narrative point (maybe even the best route, that's up to interpretation) presumably the player as well as Rodrik / Asher want their Sentinel to survive, hence why I tailored said choices to make sure that outcome happened.

Besides, I'd argue it's more in Rodrik's character to execute the traitor (him being a honour-driven northerner, for the most part) but that's neither here, nor there.

Flee from Mira's attacker? Yeah right. Not only is this a choice that literally less than 10% of all players made (one of the most one-sided choices of the season if not all time), but once again it opens plotholes. Most who fled expected Tom to die, but then he shows up with an excuse that is the GoT equivalent to "I got lucky, real lucky". This little guy managed to kill a trained guard who had the upper hand on him with a rock?? Nope. Fleeing makes Tom surviving seem impossible, it gives Mira significantly less character development, and it also gives a plothole when Tom willingly keeps assisting a person who literally ran away to let them die.

But this is a narrative vs pragmatism argument - in which, yes, the former wins out here, but I wasn't going for the former. To be fair to myself, it's been so long since I made this list, I can scarcely remember what I chose, and why.

Anyway, If Mira leaves Tom, Tom kills Damien, therefore Mira is not a killer - and she is not guilty of any crime, meaning she is morally justified in letting Tom die in the 'Marry Mogryn' route.

Whatever happens, we still never find out why Tom is helping Mira, really - so it's a bit of a moot point, that.

And this will unpopular because of all the Roddy fanboys, but Asher's story in the finale feels much more polished than Rodrik's.

Firstly, while there has been a surge of Rodrik popularity of late - he's still down 39.4% (or whatever it now is). And while I agree with sections of what you said, mainly because I love both Rodrik and Asher's storyline's in Episode 6, there's a lot I don't.

in Asher's story you ambush some Whitehills at Gared's old farm, you meet Ludd at the gates and make a plan to kill him, and then you ambush him for one last spectacularly bloody scene in Ironrath's greathall. The whole thing is a great callback to episode 1 and the whole episode I felt like all the arcs were done justice.

To you (which is fine), but to me, Rodrik's story felt far more 'Game of Thrones-esque,' and more of the sort of thing I wanted, going into the finale.

The Pit Fighters rebel, Ironrath is immediately assaulted, they put Asher's head on a spike, all-around it's tense and brutal and unforgiving (as it should be) and you get to see Rodrik (whom I've always personally viewed as the heart of the story) fully recovered, as he wreaks havoc on the one's who've laughed at him, oppressed him, beaten him, for months and months on end. It's what the story has led up to - Rodrik Vs Gryff, Rodrik Vs Ludd. These are the relationships we've built the entire game, and now they get their pay-off. Asher has no relationship (in-game) with them. He's not suffered under them, like Rodrik has.

As such, there just isn't the same level (I think) of pay-off, in how Asher deals with the Whitehill's (even though his scenes with them are great).

Meanwhile in Rodrik's, he whines and mourns yet another brother he failed to save

By that rationale, Asher failed to save Ethan, too. Rodrik was far away from Ironrath, fighting for the north. Asher was even further away from Ironrath, true, but he was fighting for himself... because of an affair with a Whitehill. They both failed Ethan, and Rodrik wasn't even the lord at this time.

the pitfighters want to turn on him, Ironrath is immediately besieged, and then Rodrik tip-toes through the Whitehill camp like a fucking cartoon character when every soldier should have spotted him. Not to mention a ton of plotholes, such as Ludd/Gryff being inside Ironrath with HORSES when the gate hadn't even fallen yet.

Those first two points are pro-Rodrik reasons, really, those scenes were some of the best in the entire game. As for the camp, while the sneaking is a bit cartoonish when you re-watch it (I was too caught up, to notice or care at the time), it results in (by far) the best kills for the Whitehill's.

As for your plothole, well I could say the same with Asher's storyline - how did they manage to break an iron-plated, ironwood gate, in, what was it? Two minutes? At least in Rodrik's version, they had been ramming it for hours and hours, perhaps an entire day.

Plus Rodrik's voice sounds like he is trying too hard to be tough, just not my preference at all.

Nah, I think he just is tough... also Russ Bain is one of (if not the) best voice actors in the game, even if you don't like Rodrik, you'd be insane to disagree with that. But of course, it's fine if that is not your preference.

Asher's story > Rodrik's story in basically every single way except for Gryff's death. I know I'm probably going to catch some hate for my opinion but that is because I make good points that challenge the Rodrik-centered status quo around here.

That Rodrik-centered status quo probably derived, from the Asher-centered status quo that exists everywhere else - be it YouTube comments, the Steam forums, or just the actual statistics of the choice in the game.

It seems like many of these "definitive best choices" aren't the best from a storytelling standpoint, but from a metagaming standpoint. K

• edited July 2016

Well, I did say from the beginning these are a mixture of choices that I view the best in both a narrative and objective, pragmatic sort of sense, with the latter being the most important.

I guess we'll just have to disagree there. The narrative is always going to be the most important for me over pragmatism for the characters, because in the end it is a narrative driven tailored experience.

we never see the Sentinel get wounded, so while unlikely, it's not impossible they could have escaped somehow.

I just rewatched it (Royland's version at least), and after he catches the guys blade, like 3 soldiers surround him and one lunges at Royland's back before cutting to the next shot, in which 5 soldiers are now surrounding him and one raises his sword for the killshot. It's just unrealistic that he could have been saved.... but I guess it's fair for people to want their sentinel over the traitor. I loved Royland but it was a fitting end and I'm eager to see where Duncan is headed.

Besides, I'd argue it's more in Rodrik's character to execute the traitor (him being a honour-driven northerner, for the most part) but that's neither here, nor there.

That's funny because throughout Rodrik's entire story you are provided and even encouraged to make dishonourable choices. Kissing or refusing to kiss the ring can both be interpreted as dishonorable. Letting his little sister help him walk. Beating the shit out of a man who is restrained. Staying down in the mud. Sparing a traitor. Breaking promises to Elaena, Gwyn,, Elissa, and Talia. The whole traitor scene is basically meant to make you realize how Rodrik has fucked up. People act like he is this pure, perfect lord and I suppose you can get that somehow but for the most part he is a troubled character who undergoes a lot of changes since his days fighting the Lannisters.

But this is a narrative vs pragmatism argument - in which, yes, the former wins out here, but I wasn't going for the former. To be fair to myself, it's been so long since I made this list, I can scarcely remember what I chose, and why. Anyway, If Mira leaves Tom, Tom kills Damien, therefore Mira is not a killer - and she is not guilty of any crime, meaning she is morally justified in letting Tom die in the 'Marry Mogryn' route..

Okay but again, I wouldn't marry Morgryn either so I guess we just took drastically different routes and strategies. I respect your decisions but I disagree with them based on my own interpretation. I value the narrative but I also don't think it is pragmatic to marry known enemies and give them a claim to Ironrath in order to maybe get the jump on him later on.

As such, there just isn't the same level (I think) of pay-off, in how Asher deals with the Whitehill's (even though his scenes with them are great).

I disagree. If anything, the Whitehills still completely disrespect Rodrik in his playthrough. They immediately besiege Ironrath and even when Ludd dies he talks shit. Only Gryff crys but thats because he is chickenshit and the one who is truly intimidated by Rodrik. Asher, on the other hand, immediately sheds Whitehill blood at the farm. Ludd then brings Rodrik home as a show of respect. You eventually learn that Ludd is truly scared of Asher. And then, the biggest payoff imo, is literally chasing Ludd out of the greathall! Ludd turns completely CRAVEN when Asher comes for him. Even though he wasn't killed yet in my game, giving him a huge scar across his face, killing his son and bodyguard, and chasing him out of the hall was a huge payoff. I finally felt like I was delivering the vengeance and terror that I had waited all season long for. Rodrik's fights are impressive but Asher is the one who inspires dread in Lord Whitehill.

By that rationale, Asher failed to save Ethan, too. Rodrik was far away from Ironrath, fighting for the north. Asher was even further away from Ironrath, true, but he was fighting for himself... because of an affair with a Whitehill.

Simply not true, at all. Asher was exiled by Gregor, who was forced into doing so by Ludd. Asher didn't do anything wrong per se, it was a move for Ludd to weaken the Forresters. And Asher didn't have an "affair"... he was like 17 right? Kids do stuff like that, it is normal. Rodrik on the other hand willingly left to go fight for Da King N Da Norf, even when Gregor wanted him to protect Ironrath. So if Rodrik had stayed like he was supposed to then Ethan would never even have to become lord.

Russ Bain is one of (if not the) best voice actors in the game, even if you don't like Rodrik, you'd be insane to disagree with that. But of course, it's fine if that is not your preference.

I never said I didn't like Rodrik. I actually really like Rodrik but the way my season went, him sacrificing himself seemed like the right choice. And I also do enjoy Russ Bain, I just don't enjoy the really super intense lines. Like I really like :Confine them to the cellars" if you beat Gryff and spit on him, but I think the more intense line if you knock him out just comes across a little corny imo.

As for your plothole, well I could say the same with Asher's storyline - how did they manage to break an iron-plated, ironwood gate, in, what was it? Two minutes? At least in Rodrik's version, they had been ramming it for hours and hours, perhaps an entire day.

Breaking the gate quickly during the course of a battle is still more believable than teleporting horses. There was no logical reason why Ludd/Gryff should have been chillin in the courtyard when there was only a small gap. At least Asher can say that the gate wasn't well fortified or that the siege weapon was made of Ironwood so it was really strong.

That Rodrik-centered status quo probably derived, from the Asher-centered status quo that exists everywhere else - be it YouTube comments, the Steam forums, or just the actual statistics of the choice in the game.

I don't know about that. The Steam forums seem to truly loathe this game. Reddit isn't fond of it either. Most YouTubers I've seen chose Rodrik, and the comments are pretty divided. These forums are the most opinionated I've seen. Even civilized discussions in favor of Asher's story are typically dismissed and even half thought out responses are showered with likes, lol. It's just how it is.

It seems like many of these "definitive best choices" aren't the best from a storytelling standpoint, but from a metagaming standpoint.

• I just rewatched it (Royland's version at least), and after he catches the guys blade, like 3 soldiers surround him and one lunges at Royland's back before cutting to the next shot, in which 5 soldiers are now surrounding him and one raises his sword for the killshot

That doesn't happen if the traitor is killed, it skips that and just shows Rodrik/Asher riding out of Ironrath after the sentinel puts them on the horse.

Well, I did say from the beginning these are a mixture of choices that I view the best in both a narrative and objective, pragmatic sort of

• edited July 2016

I guess we'll just have to disagree there. The narrative is always going to be the most important for me over pragmatism for the characters, because in the end it is a narrative driven tailored experience.

Of course, but I think there's a misunderstanding here - these aren't my choices (at least most of them), these are just the one's I chose when trying to find a balance between narrative and the best, overall result, objectively speaking.

I just rewatched it (Royland's version at least), and after he catches the guys blade, like 3 soldiers surround him and one lunges at Royland's back before cutting to the next shot, in which 5 soldiers are now surrounding him and one raises his sword for the killshot. It's just unrealistic that he could have been saved.... but I guess it's fair for people to want their sentinel over the traitor. I loved Royland but it was a fitting end and I'm eager to see where Duncan is headed.

Oh, they look pretty fucked, there's no doubt about that - but anything could have happened, in the time, in which Rodrik / Asher ride away. And again, there's nothing wrong with the traitor redemption arc, at all, but the thought process behind this list was: most people playing the game, and most characters in said game, want the Sentinel to survive above a traitor. Therefore, I chose the choice that made sure that happened.

That's funny because throughout Rodrik's entire story you are provided and even encouraged to make dishonourable choices. Kissing or refusing to kiss the ring can both be interpreted as dishonorable. Letting his little sister help him walk. Beating the shit out of a man who is restrained. Staying down in the mud. Sparing a traitor. Breaking promises to Elaena, Gwyn,, Elissa, and Talia. The whole traitor scene is basically meant to make you realize how Rodrik has fucked up. People act like he is this pure, perfect lord and I suppose you can get that somehow but for the most part he is a troubled character who undergoes a lot of changes since his days fighting the Lannisters.

But there's always an honourable reason for those acts - he kisses the ring, to ensure the safety of his younger brother and the rest of his family, and so that Ryon can attend the funeral. Also, letting his sister help him walk, isn't dishonourable really. It's a bit humiliating, but that's about it. As for beating Gryff, yes, that is sort of dishonourable--though certainly justified when you factor in what Gryff and the rest of his family have been doing for months. Plus, Rodrik is shown to be aggressive, so that's always going to conflict with honour; but the two can still co-exist.

As for the staying down in the mud (almost all of these aren't even choices I listed here), the same reasoning for kissing the ring applies, and for sparing the traitor, that is to maximise Asher's safety. Basically, most of these (the Elaena one included) are done, in a heightened effort to maximise House Forrester's protection.

People act like he is this pure, perfect lord and I suppose you can get that somehow but for the most part he is a troubled character who undergoes a lot of changes since his days fighting the Lannisters.

Well, he is a great lord, though I'm not sure anyone has said he's a perfect one. I don't think there is a perfect one. And I think that's part of his appeal (at least it is to me), how on one hand, he's this kind, compassionate, family-oriented sort of person, and on another, he's smashing people's faces in with canes, and threatening to kill a band of pit fighter's if they disobey him.

Okay but again, I wouldn't marry Morgryn either so I guess we just took drastically different narrative routes in some way. I respect your decisions but I still disagree with them. I value the narrative but I also don't think it is pragmatic to marry known enemies and give them a claim to Ironrath in order to maybe get the jump on him later on.

These aren't my decisions, though. I didn't marry Morgryn. I'd never marry that piece of shit. I just recognise that it's probably the objectively best thing to do - since Mira's survival is far more important than the survival of a coal boy, especially if said coal boy is the one actually responsible for the crime in the first place. And Morgryn is going to be a problem whatever happens, better to have another Forrester in the fight - who happens to be working behind enemy lines, well besides them, rather.

Simply not true. Asher was exiled by Gregor, who was forced into doing so by Ludd. Asher didn't have an "affair"... he was like 17 right? Kids do stuff like that, it is normal. Ludd just wanted Asher gone to weaken the Forresters. Rodrik on the other hand willingly left to go fight for Da King N Da Norf, even when Gregor wanted him to protect Ironrath. So if Rodrik he stayed Ethan would never even have to become lord.

It's still, by definition, an affair, and Asher knew the consequences of it, when he engaged in it. Not that I blame him, as Jaime Lannister said: "We don't get to choose who we love."

But, Asher and Gwyn knew what they were doing, could spark an exile or war between their families, and they did it anyway - which isn't any better than Rodrik volunteering to fight for the freedom of their native land.

I never said I didn't like Rodrik. I actually really like Rodrik but the way my season went, him sacrificing himself seemed like the right choice. And I also do enjoy Russ Bain, I just don't enjoy the really super intense lines. Like I really like :Confine them to the cellars" if you beat Gryff and spit on him, but I think the more intense line if you knock him out just comes across a little corny imo.

Well, it's your game, your choices (obviously), you can do as you like. This thread wasn't meant to tell people what to do - I was just bored one day, and decided to make up a list of some choices I thought to be best, in a balance between end result and narrative.

Though, I probably find Russ Bain to be the best voice actor in the game - because he's the most versatile. He pulls off sad lines perfectly, angry lines perfectly, basically whoever he is talking to, whatever the emotion is, he seems to nail it (for me anyway). And I've personally never found his lines or deliveries corny.

Breaking the gate quickly during the course of a battle is still more believable than teleporting horses. There was no logical reason why Ludd/Gryff should have been chillin in the courtyard when there was only a small gap. At least Asher can say that the gate wasn't well fortified or that the siege weapon was made of Ironwood so it was really strong.

It's not, though, is it? One minute they were drinking, the next minute, Harys has them mobilised and ramming the gate, and there's a massive gap in it (the same size as with Rodrik) in about 1% of the time... and in Rodrik's story, the siege is happening pro-actively, and has been going on literally all-day, so it's not implausible Ludd / Gryff could have got through in that time, either with a horse, or gotten one inside the walls. They had time on their side, and the numbers.

I don't know about that. The Steam forums seem to truly loathe this game. Reddit isn't fond of it either. Most YouTubers I've seen chose Rodrik, and the comments are pretty divided. These forums are the most opinionated I've seen. Even civilized discussions in favor of Asher's story are typically dismissed and even half thought out responses are showered with likes, lol. It's just how it is.

To be fair, you are right, in that the Steam forum is 99% criticism of the game - but the other 0.9% definitely are in favour of Asher, from everything I've seen, and I've been actively checking them since A Nest of Vipers released.

And most YouTuber's definitely choose Asher - I watch them regularly, same with Twitch streams.

Though, I've never checked on Reddit, really, so I can't comment there.

As for here, yes, there has been a flip in the last few months - in that, it seems there are more Rodrik fan's around than Asher one's, but that doesn't change the fact there are more Asher fans overall. I mean the statistics alone prove this, if all the anecdotal sources don't.

Well, I did say from the beginning these are a mixture of choices that I view the best in both a narrative and objective, pragmatic sort of

• I know, right! That was my conclusion as well. It was too obvious that whoever you don't choose as Sentinel will be the traitor because he doesn't approve of your choice. I honestly thought it was misdirection and the traitor will be the Master. Sadly, it wasn't and I was disappointed they went with the obvious choice.

Dalek93 posted: »

I now really wished for the Master being the Traitor (why the hell? it made perfect sense)

• You interpretate well, but, the point of view that you used is overextended and at the same time, limited to the game only. When playing this game our story clearly occurs inside the main events of the TV Show, to be fair, I think that it is a mistake to assume that a choice is the "best" one because of its outcome in Episode Six, you seem to completely desconsider the choice's momentum while lacking awareness of the whole picture. For instance, by this logic/point of view of yours, we could consider the possible outcomes untill the end of Season 6 (TV Show). Some of the reasons you gave are too relative, and could be refuted with some strong argumentation. Have it summed, even with misguided conclusions, your interpretation is still a good one in some points.

• Why would anyone stay in the North Grove? The Night King's army is coming to kill everyone in Westeros. Get south of the wall ASAP if you don't wanna die.

IceFromIron posted: »

Apart from the "Remain in the North Grove" bit, I'd agree with you 100% That place is a worthless waste of time, and Gared needs return to Rodrik ASAP... he could use some crazed magic soldiers right now Anyway have a like, ser.

• Hey, I realized while speaking to the traitor that he mentions some choices I made as the reason for him being the traitor. I picked Duncan as a sentinel, so Royland was my traitor.
    When confronted, he spoke about how I chose to kiss ludd's ring instead of showing strength, staying down when confronted by griff, or going to hillpoint without an army. it looks like these choices, among with not picking him as a sentinel have driven Royland to betray me.

I was wondering what would happen if I had chosen otherwise in all, except for the sentinel, so that it would still be royland the one suposed to be the traitor. Would he still betray but me with fewer reasons?

• edited January 2017

Why should I execute the traitor? What difference does it make? You say, it secures, your Sentinal survives, but I don't see how? Also, in my file I had Duncan as traitor and Rodrik as survivor and last scene was Talia and Duncan finding Rodrik and Duncan seemed like he was on his side again "my lord" "they might've won this battle, but not the war." and I kinda liked it. Also, Rodrik being wounded this badly, having 2 people by his side seems better than 1 (if I executed Duncan). *edit: And, oh, your choices seem to be the best this far, if there wouldn't be another Season after that.. So, some are just for the short and some are for the long run.

• Yes, he'd still betray you and he'd still have same amount of reasons for it. It's just Telltales way of doing it, taking your choices and let an ingame char hold them against you, no matter if those were good or bad choices or if you even had a choice, lol :D ..

D_irra24 posted: »

Hey, I realized while speaking to the traitor that he mentions some choices I made as the reason for him being the traitor. I picked Duncan

• edited January 2017

Rodrik or Asher , I don't know, it was hard decision, I picked Asher.

• Interesting, that was a good read. I agreed with most of it but I think you're putting too much faith that your choices will have consequences in S2.

I disagree with Mira's route. Sera and Margaery aren't loyal. Sera will sell you out so she can get married and not dirty her image by being associated with you.
    Margaery will abandon you even if you win her favor, and all over rumors, despite being queen. If she cannot help her own handmaiden keep her head because of unproven rumors then who needs her as an ally? She is worse than Sera honestly. She actually has power but won't use it even though she says you're like her sister (if she likes you by the end).
    Morgryn will only add more problems to your family. So not only did you not help your family get the upper hand or even hold onto their house, you have to add more of a burden to your family? That's counter productive, no ty.
    Also Tom is the only one who is loyal to Mira, job or not he still chose to stick his neck out for her the entire game. Even went as far to take the blame for her when he allowed her to flee from the guards at the end. I'd sooner believe he'd help out the Forresters before Margaery, he's more competent than her anyways. That and it hasn't been revealed who sent him to aid Mira and her folks.

Something else I might be looking into too much. Save Beskha over Malcolm. Malcolm stays behind with Daenerys anyways and he could explain to her for sure that her dragon did attack them and his burn injury is real.
    One more thing, is it impossible to have both Royland and Duncan alive at the end? I'm not sure I'd willingly kill off Gared's uncle, how motivated could he be to help out house Forrester after that?

The Cotter one is so tough, I know your choice is the most logical but I don't know if I can. :'(

• At this point, it really is about what's gonna happen with your choices from Season 1 in Season 2 (which is confirmed coming).

The scene with Mira talking to the other prisoner, where u can say as Mira "make your son proud" refers more to what she's gonna do next, so if she gets killed she did it for a good sake. I wonder though, if it would make such a big difference in Season 2. They take over Ironrath anyway (Ludd or Gryff), so if Lord Morgryn got it he'd have Mira as prisoner and they'd find themselves in the same position as with Ryon. But I think, you are right. If Mira dies, Tom could revenge her. Also the question who'd be on Forresters side afterwards most likely (Cersei, Tyrion or Lady Margaery).

I think, Gared will help house Forrester, even if Duncan dies. He risked so much all for house Forrester, this is his house, also the 2 bastards of Gregor the Good will only stick to Forresters. But, tbh, it's not even sure if the Sentinal, who stays behind at Ironrath battle, dies or is taken as imprisoner.

The Cotter one - Josera said that Elsera should stop with using bloodmagic cause she can't control it well and it's true, so might as well trust Josera and poison Cotter for 3 good reasons - for Josera, for Sylvi and cause he is a friend.

Ultrajet posted: »

Interesting, that was a good read. I agreed with most of it but I think you're putting too much faith that your choices will have consequenc

Sign in to comment in this discussion.