Analysis of Ethan, Asher, Rodrik, Mira

edited November 2015 in Game Of Thrones

I have thought long about this and I have observed how and what role each of the playable Forresters has during the season. And I have also thought about what they represents if we see the whole house as a body. These are just my observation and analysis.

enter image description here

Ethan Forrester: The young third-born son of Gregor and Ellissa. A relatively innocent and peaceful boy who are suddenly thrust into a role that he was completely unprepared for. Now put into the position as a lord and forced to grow up quickly, it is up to the player to decide what kind of lord he is. Depending on how the players play Ethan, the more he shred his inner child and innocence, the stronger but colder he becomes. If he maintains his innocence, he creates a more meeker image, but is considered kind and merciful, stuff that will inspire loyalty such as Erik staying and fight for the house. Ethan is the heart and peace of the Forresters. During his brief reign as lord, things are quite peaceful and stable despite the difficult time and tension in the house. When he got killed by Ramsay, the peace and innocence of the Forresters are shattered. But arguably, his role as the heart and innocence is shared with his twin sister, who is seemingly also shredding more of her innocence and inner child due to circumstances.

Mira Forrester: The eldest daughter and the handmaiden of Margaery Tyrell. At first, she is seemingly quite dutiful and want to simply do her duty for Lady Margaery. However, her family's situation forces her to shred more of her dutiful nature and become more independent in order to safeguard her family's future. During Season 1, Mira is given the choice of maintaining her honor and dignity at the cost of her family's safety or shred that, plot and scheme in secret in order to help her family. Mira's story represent honor for the Forresters. At first, I thought it was the mind and wit, but considering how often Mira is given the choice of being honorable or dishonorable, this suits her better. Examples such as whatever or not to ask for Lady Margeary's help, writing a letter to Lady Elaena, being honest or dishonest to Tyrion and finally dishonorably sell out Tom and keep her life or maintain her honor and dignity at the cost of her life.

Asher Forrester: The second-born son of Gregor. It is clear that Asher has a temper. He is a natural warrior who loves fighting. His relationship with Gwyn Whitehill has caused his exile, which hints that it was his impulsive nature that sparked a confrontation between the Forresters and the Whitehills. Asher is the wrath and strength of the Forresters. His story represent impulse. Every one of his major choices are impulsive ones. They are all decided in the heat of the moment. In episode 3, save Beskha or Malcom, in episode 4, allow Beskha to kill her former master or stop her, episode 5, kill or do not kill Bloodsong. Episode 6, in poison version, allow his mother to drink poison to kill Ludd or impulsively smack the goblet off her. This is consistent to what Ellissa said to Ethan in episode 1, "Asher doesn't hesitate, he acts." How much restrain or impulse, Asher shows, decides how much he has grown during his exile and hopefully continue to develop in Season 2.

Rodrik Forrester: The first born of Gregor and Ellissa. Rodrik is groom and destined to be the leader of the Forresters. Trained since birth to be the lord, Rodrik knew that he was meant to shoulder that burden one day. He never expected that the day will be a time of turmoil and darkness for his family and him leading in a crippled state. Rodrik represent the entire body of the Forresters. His crippled state represent the state of his entire house. In episode 2, Rodrik was at his absolute weakest just like his house, but his survival and recovers marks the recovery for the entire house. The stronger that Rodrik becomes, the more the Forresters are able to strike back. In the final episode, Rodrik gets heavily injured again and again it represent the state of House Forrester, they are beaten and bloodied, but Rodrik still lives and so does the Forresters. His story is one of endurance. How much is Rodrik willing to be humiliated for the sake of his family and the house at the cost of the respect of his people? Kiss Ludd's ring, gets humiliated but he gets to see Ryon again or refuse and maintain his pride and status as a strong leader. Stay in the mud, gets further humiliated, lose more respect from his people but maintains the safety of his family and people or endure the beating, restore the respect of his people but at the possible cost of the safety of his family? His choices decides what kind of leader Rodrik is. A patient leader who is willing to swallow his pride and damage his image as a strong warrior in order to protect his family and house and wait for the right moment to strike. Or a fiercely strong leader who won't let his cripple state stop him from protecting his family and his house, no matter the consequences.

These are just my interpretation of the four characters and I am sorry for not including Gared.

Comments

• Cool stuff.

Btw I just realized that Mira and Ethan almost look identical.

• Rodrik and Asher look quite similar tho.

Brodester08 posted: »

Cool stuff. Btw I just realized that Mira and Ethan almost look identical.

• They both got handsome beards. ;)

But I think it is not that unusual, they are siblings. Similarity are bound to happen.

Rodrik and Asher look quite similar tho.

• Siblings can look more or less alike, I don't look anything like my brothers.

They both got handsome beards. But I think it is not that unusual, they are siblings. Similarity are bound to happen.

• Didn't say it was unusual. :)

They both got handsome beards. But I think it is not that unusual, they are siblings. Similarity are bound to happen.

• edited December 2015

My incarnation of each is:

• Ethan: merciful, brave, caring but naive.

• Mira: crafty, persistent, looks after friends

• Rodrik: unyielding, tactical, shrewd

• Asher: merciless, adaptive, cheeky but serious when appropriate

• Gared: honest, undaunted, cooperative

All with the best interest of their house in-mind.

• Wow! I love this, and I agree with most of the things you said. I lit up when you said "Asher does not hesitate, he acts" because I realized how true it is.

• edited November 2015

I agree with you , but it seem to me , by the way you're writing it that you've saved asher and not Rodrik , Am i right ? Anyway , i gotta agreee with most of the things you said ;)

• Actually, I saved Rodrik. I wonder what of the writing made you think that I saved Asher? I am just curious. :)

Dydix958 posted: »

I agree with you , but it seem to me , by the way you're writing it that you've saved asher and not Rodrik , Am i right ? Anyway , i gotta agreee with most of the things you said

• Oh okay then :p .I just tought because you stated all rodrik choices until episode 5 but not episode 6 (but i guess not so much could be said ) .And talked about asher's developement in s2 as if you had chose him .That is why i tought so , but i'm glad you chose rodrik since i feel like a majority of people in these forums chose asher .:)

Actually, I saved Rodrik. I wonder what of the writing made you think that I saved Asher? I am just curious.

• Where's Ryon ???

• edited November 2015

Quoted from the thread's creator:

I have thought long about this and I have observed how and what role each of the playable Forresters has during the season.

Where's Ryon ???

• I think this is just talking about the 'playable' Forresters

Where's Ryon ???

• Oops, sr, missing that word !!!

I think this is just talking about the 'playable' Forresters

Sign in to comment in this discussion.