My Decisions Means Nothing.

So guys, I am new around here, and just hope that I am not saying any bullshit. I live in Brazil (that explains the poor english) and played Game of Thrones in the house of a friend. I loved it so much that I ended all the episodes in two days. But beyond that, one thing bothered me the most - it seems like my decisions have no weight on the universe (unlike The Wolf Among Us, which I also played some months ago). In the first two episodes I tried to be diplomatic, and it all went downhill, then I changed my alingment. I chose Ser Duncan as my Sentinel, but took the most of the decisions accordingly to what Ser Roylan wanted. And, in the end, he was still the traitor. I tried to reason with the antagonists the most I could, but they were all bloodthirsty assholes. By all means, that kinda compromised my immersion, you know? I am not saying that the game is bad - if it was I wouldn't have played so passionately. And, as a long time fan of ASOIAF books, I know that is impotence is the differential of the universe. But maybe Telltale should have tried to reach a middle-term between what was presented in the actual game and the weight you had on the previous games of the company. Well, that is just my opinion, and I wanna hear what you guys have to say.

Comments

• I don't remember any decisions in The Wolf Among Us carrying any weight on the universe.

• I played it some months ago, then I dont remember specifically what decisions Ive taken. I am just saying that - in that universe - it seems that my presence as player made a lot more difference. Take the story of Mira: I burned the letter, I have thrown the dagger away... And she ended up dead just because I refused to marry to that prick. It is kinda pointless what you choose as a player - that is what I am trying to say. I wish I could have kept my vows with Gared, for example. But I can be wrong, my opinion is not the universal truth.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I don't remember any decisions in The Wolf Among Us carrying any weight on the universe.

• Welcome to Telltale's world, where your choice mean nothing :D

• acctually in GOT ur decisions matters, especially in ep 6 where u practically deciding if one of playable characters either live or dead, so yeah, it's pretty big decision

Welcome to Telltale's world, where your choice mean nothing

• I think that Telltale is getting good at making our decions matters, u can see it in GOT for example, and I'm sure that in their next games our decisions will matter even more

• I don't know. In Game of Thrones, our decisions truly matter. I mean we get to choose who to kill and who to let live, we get a different plan depending which brother survived from episode 5 etc. Telltale got better with the choices and they have more consequence, just like in Tales From the Borderlands. And even though I haven't played Minecraft: Story Mode, I've seen that in MC:SM, our choices matter there, too.

• edited November 2015

Telltales have a great talent in make you feel your choice matter !
    For Example, in TWD1, no matter what you done, Lee died !
    In TWD2, those Russian guys always against you, no matter you give them the supply medicine or not ... !
    Especially in GoT, your House always fall, Mira always betrayed Margaery, Gared always betrayed his vow, Lady Forrester have to die, Cotter have to die, Britt have to die ... !

Choose Rodrik/Asher seem important, but I bet If they still alive in SS2 and still playable, they will have a same adventure with the same outcome. Of course there will be some difference but not too much, for example Talia can't call Rodrik by "Asher: ...

MrEggplant posted: »

acctually in GOT ur decisions matters, especially in ep 6 where u practically deciding if one of playable characters either live or dead, so yeah, it's pretty big decision

• enter image description here

Wolfenus54 posted: »

I don't know. In Game of Thrones, our decisions truly matter. I mean we get to choose who to kill and who to let live, we get a different pl

• And it was a pretty mixed ratio of people who choose to kill or spare her so it must have been a hard choice.

MrEggplant posted: »

acctually in GOT ur decisions matters, especially in ep 6 where u practically deciding if one of playable characters either live or dead, so yeah, it's pretty big decision

• Then I'd sugest for you to replay episode 6 with diferent choices.

• lol, Mass Effect ! Great series, ruined in 10 minutes !
    Choose your color and end the game :D
    Really matter !

• edited November 2015

First of all, Welcome to the forums, and if you're new to the games, welcome to the games too. Second of all, that's usually how it works around here. We try and make a difference, and we try and, quote unquote, "Tailor the game to how WE play.", but it doesn't work. Our choices simply do not matter. If you want choices to matter, Until Dawn and Life is Strange are the games you're looking for. However, don't let that turn you off from Telltale's games, because each and every one of them are fantastic (Except for TWD Season 2 of course), but don't expect all choices to matter.

• If you want choices to matter, Until Dawn and Life is Strange are the games you're looking for.

I wouldn't add Life is Strange. The choices in that game don't matter at all. The final choice in LiS proved it :D

First of all, Welcome to the forums, and if you're new to the games, welcome to the games too. Second of all, that's usually how it works ar

• Not exactly. They mattered more than choices in most of Telltale's games, that's for sure.

If you want choices to matter, Until Dawn and Life is Strange are the games you're looking for. I wouldn't add Life is Strange. The choices in that game don't matter at all. The final choice in LiS proved it

• edited November 2015

Well Malcolm if you didn't stay with Dany then maybe just maybe Lady Forrester would be alive and for you insulant arrogance I will spank you flamboyantly with some IronWood.

• Dude, GoT is the only Telltale's game, in which decision are important (or at least it seems they are important). (TWAU, TWD aren't important, dunno about Borderlands). Episode 6 depends on choices from Episode 5, and ending of Episode 6 depends on decisions about war.

• What should they do that they are not already doing?

• dunno about Borderlands

They did matter there a bit more.

MaikelRR posted: »

Dude, GoT is the only Telltale's game, in which decision are important (or at least it seems they are important). (TWAU, TWD aren't importan

• How so?

Not exactly. They mattered more than choices in most of Telltale's games, that's for sure.

• Well, for example. I saw many cases of saying one thing to someone and having it completely screw shit up later on.

How so?

• What are they already doing? I am not following the news about Season 2. I just want more options, you know? I wish Gared didnt break his vows... I wish Mira wouldnt be accused, since I threw the dagger away and burned the letter... etc. This is the kind of thing that breaks the atmosphere of the game - for me - since I am not rewarded for playing carefully.

KCohere posted: »

What should they do that they are not already doing?

• I am bringing an army home and the support of the crown, you bloodthirsty prick.

Well Malcolm if you didn't stay with Dany then maybe just maybe Lady Forrester would be alive and for you insulant arrogance I will spank you flamboyantly with some IronWood.

• We had lots of choices in the finale but they never seem to be enough, especially for people who want happy endings. I get what your saying about being rewarded for your carefulness. It can be demoralizing feeling helpless, but that's just not the Game of Thrones m.o. The show is miserable, the books are worse. To keep true to the spirit, things have to play out the way they will. We're never going to get a dozen different branching storylines so everyone will be happy.

What are they already doing? I am not following the news about Season 2. I just want more options, you know? I wish Gared didnt break his vo

• All Quantic Dream's games choices are extremely matter !
    Life is Strange ??? No, unless Square are going to release a DLC :D

If you want choices to matter, Until Dawn and Life is Strange are the games you're looking for. I wouldn't add Life is Strange. The choices in that game don't matter at all. The final choice in LiS proved it

• You are wrong about this.

• (Except for TWD Season 2 of course)

I thought season 2 was fantastic, so i personally put it along side Wolf Among US , Tales and etc.

First of all, Welcome to the forums, and if you're new to the games, welcome to the games too. Second of all, that's usually how it works ar

• Season 2 of what, GoT or LiS !!!

(Except for TWD Season 2 of course) I thought season 2 was fantastic, so i personally put it along side Wolf Among US , Tales and etc.

• I don't know, I kinda liked both of those endings.

• That's just your opinion. I respect it though.

(Except for TWD Season 2 of course) I thought season 2 was fantastic, so i personally put it along side Wolf Among US , Tales and etc.

• Actually, between The Wolf Among Us and GOT, I'd probably pick GOT if we're considering immersion and actual choices. Because in TWAU, your choices' primary purpose is to let you choose different ways to solve the problem whatsoever. In GOT, your choices could actually lead to a character's death. And it's immersive in such way that you're dying to save every character's life in the game. And by what you just have posted, I say that you have been successfully immersed. We all have disatisfactions and problems in the game. We beg for a proper ending, which we couldn't get even if we redo all our choices. But I suppose that's just how GOT works out, based on the original franchise. "Helplessness". The word that describes our feeling in the entire game. Whether how much we try to do our best, the sh*t will always hit the fan. And that word probably hit you in the wrong spot, that you missed the point that the game conveys.

• edited November 2015

While im not that new to TTG (played WD1+2, Tales and this) i agree the choices didnt matter enough in GoT. The problem i felt was that the overarching story was too...negative i suppose, with ironrath being destroyed. I personally wouldve preferred an ending where the whitehills were beaten back, one or two antagonists killed, but the forresters, (even if some pov characters died), had managed to hold their own. Season 2 could then still be the same - rebuilding the house - but we wouldnt have been made to feel that every decision we made to save our house was in vain. It all felt a bit pointless to me by the end.

• Can you give me any examples? (I'm not saying they don't exist, I just can't remember any of them)

Well, for example. I saw many cases of saying one thing to someone and having it completely screw shit up later on.

• Well, for example. In episode 5 (I believe), you have the choice to talk to that one Suicidal girl and help her, or just ignore her. And so, if you ignore her, when Max walks down the weird dark room with all of her memories with Chloe, I did notice a few changes in the pictures that were kinda weird. Where as with telling her she'll be fine, the pictures look fairly normal to me.

Can you give me any examples? (I'm not saying they don't exist, I just can't remember any of them)

• That's it? A few aesthetic changes. Thats like a whole new story! I thought Life Is Strange would end up being a good choice based game but then the ending went and ruined all of that. So in the end the choices just end up being a few different dialogue changes, a real choice based game is The Witcher 2. Still a small company yet they make such amazing games like the Witcher. I think the problem with Telltale is they don't put enough time into their games to make them truly great.

Well, for example. In episode 5 (I believe), you have the choice to talk to that one Suicidal girl and help her, or just ignore her. And so,

• Well I agree they did a good job at branching side stories and adding minor details to our minor (and major) choices. But in terms of main plot, TellTale branched GoT and Tales better (prior TWD S2 their games have been as branched as LiS).

(And of course this is all my opinion.)

Well, for example. In episode 5 (I believe), you have the choice to talk to that one Suicidal girl and help her, or just ignore her. And so,

• edited December 2015

That's it? A few aesthetic changes. Thats like a whole new story!

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir. I didn't mean it was a "Whole new Story", I was saying that some choices you make have noticeable different outcomes. It's like Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow or Silent Hill 5. Very minor choices make very different (Or at least noticeably different) outcomes. However, Telltale always has the exact same outcome.

a real choice based game is The Witcher 2.

Now this, I can agree with completely.

I think the problem with Telltale is they don't put enough time into their games to make them truly great.

Nah, they do take a lot of time and they do make a great game. The real problem is that they don't take enough time and make our choices actually matter.

Talimancer posted: »

That's it? A few aesthetic changes. Thats like a whole new story! I thought Life Is Strange would end up being a good choice based game but

• Now that, I can agree with.

Well I agree they did a good job at branching side stories and adding minor details to our minor (and major) choices. But in terms of main p

• I cant stop thinking that - maybe - Telltale could try to reach a middle-term, you know? Video-game is a different media, the player need to be rewarded.

KCohere posted: »

We had lots of choices in the finale but they never seem to be enough, especially for people who want happy endings. I get what your saying

Sign in to comment in this discussion.