Doctors can't tell a dog bite from a lurker bite...

Alright, so here's Clementine's bite wound:

enter image description here

Let's note something right out of the bat: this isn't a uniform bite. Not just a chomp and release. The dog was gnashing all over, which as you would expect, makes the wound larger. At a glance, this probably doesn't even look like a bite, more like a huge gash. The only clear giveaways we have to it being a bite is small indentations around the openings.

Now, note the general shape of that bite

Okay, so here's a picture of a human bite mark, just to get an idea here:

So these bites are obviously not as deep or serious at first glance. But, look at the general shape and curve, especially along one set of teeth.

If a walker bit into your arm, it would not be a simple chomp like those. It'd be a deep bite. They'd be trying to rip the skin off like it's an apple, right? But that's in the scenario that they bite an area where they can get both rows of teeth into you.

So what if a walker was only able to sink the top row of teeth into you? Take one of the above human bites, and remove one row of teeth from it. Now you have a deep, curved bite that looks more like a laceration than anything. Now imagine if the walker was gnashing around, and you were trying shake/pull it off of your hand. So the walker grinds a little bit to left, a little bit to the right, and it finally comes off.

What kind of bite would you be left with? A mangled gash like Clementine's. In fact, look at the second picture again:

Now look at Clementine's bite again:

Now look at the two side-by-side:

enter image description hereenter image description here

They have a very similar shape to one another. So imagine if that bite mark was stretched around a bit due to a struggle. Opens a bit wider and deeper. You now have a human bite that is almost 1:1 with Clementine's dog bite. Not something easily distinguishable, especially not off-hand.

There's one other thing to refute here, too. It is true that the shape of a dog's jaw is much more triangular in nature than that of a human's. However, that's under the assumption that it's a full bite on behalf of the dog. However, let's say the dog didn't get all of it's teeth into you.

Here's a dog bite:

Doesn't really look all that much like the dog bite you'd expect, right? That's from a dog that only managed to bite up to the canines, or there about. At a glance, you could potentially pass that off as a human bite. Of course, the curvature and shape isn't completely correct in that picture, it's damn close. However, that is a uniform bite. A normal, run-of-the-mill chomp. That same type of bite starts looking a lot different if the dog is thrashing all around. When a dog does that, you get a wound resembling Clementine's.

The point being, be it dog or walker, the bites lose a lot of their discernible details the more struggle is involved. Once you're thrashing around (or vice versa), trying to rip it off of you, they both start to look more like deep cuts or lacerations than actual bites.

Which comes down to a simple point: even from the perspective of a doctor, Clementine's bite could be the result of a zombie, a dog, maybe even another animal at that. It's too mangled to adequately tell what the hell it is, unless you're willing to clean it out and jump through the hoops of trying to cross-reference it with whatever off-hand knowledge and information you have regarding bite wounds and patterns. And given that they're two years into the apocalypse, I imagine it's been a long time since Carlos saw any kind of bite that wasn't from a zombie. Even if he's a doctor, if all you saw for a good two years and counting were various zombie bites and other assorted injuries, you'd probably be a little bit skeptical when a random stranger with a bite of some sort shows up on your doorstep, especially if said stranger was last seen surrounded by walkers before being rescued. In all honesty, what are the chances that two years into an apocalypse with zombies all over place, you'd be bitten by a dog, of all things? He could give Clementine the benefit of the doubt, but look how that turned out for them the last time.

Thanks to @Deltino for pointing out the info's :)

Comments

• Woooow that's realy great work!

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited January 2016

For a minute there, I thought you just shamelessly hijacked my post, and I was about to challenge you to a fight

Thanks to @Deltino for pointing out the info's :)

now I want to challenge you to a hug for being an awesome dude

• I really appreciate your hard work in looking at the difference between a dog bite and a walker bite with visual imagery, and giving evidence that a dog bite can actually be mistaken for a walker bite.

Given how quick we were to assume that Carlos was an idiot for not being able to see the difference between a dog and a walker bite, I'd only wish that the writers were able to find a way to use your analysis to make their point more clearer.

Kudos.

• A-IBRAHIM0702A-IBRAHIM0702 Banned
    edited January 2016

Hmmm...

• Yeah even I shook my head. It's as if it's an excuse for Clementine to get into the shed regardless.

• edited January 2016
  • CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator
    edited January 2016

I actually used to make fun of Carlos quite a bit about this myself (not just this scene for that matter, he was quite the idiot in episode 2 as well) but now I don't think it's as bad when you see it from the cabin group's perspective. They likely locked Clementine up in there with the thought that it was POSSIBLE she was working undercover for Carver. Like we saw what Carver was capable of, is it really that hard to believe he'd actually be able to get a young girl to do such a task? Also (the more obvious point for that matter) Nick had to shoot his own mother after another incident revolving around someone turning, which wasn't too long before Clem herself actually showed up at the place. So they were tensed up about the whole situation in general.

Carlos is still a bit of a dummy though, even though you really did show some great visual evidence to defend his claim of not being sure (though to be fair, I think we all know they just didn't want to trust Clementine).

• I actually thought I was one of few people to think this. I mean, Carlos is stupid.

But not that stupid.

• edited January 2016

Well, there is one fact I like to think about regarding this. Apparently, Carlos and his gang have been at Howe's for quite some time before they decided to leave. The weird thing is... after they find the lodge, that whole thing with that one lady who was bitten that kills Nick's mom happens. If I remember right, Luke states that "they thought they could control it". But why would they think that they could after its been almost 2 years into the end of the world? My only possible solution to Carlos being a dumbo and not knowing what he was looking at is hes never really seen a Walker bite. The only possible reason is that maybe at Howe's if someone was reported to be bitten they were killed on the spot. However, this is debunked because Carlos knows that if you are bitten you get a fever, and eventually die. So we know he has faced something like that before, and it would be pretty hard not too. So what now then? Well.... its either, the Walker had really messed up teeth so the bite would look weird. Or he plain didn't want to help Clem because what happened to Nicks mom, and that they are not going to take any chances what so ever.

( Half way through writing this, I realized Carlos did know what a bite was like so ignore this now lol)

• I liked your effort in showing us how dumb Carlos was for not telling the difference between the bites, but honestly, I believe Carlos wouldn't let Clementine into the house because of Sarah and would send her to the shed regardless.

• Did you actually read the post?

gomatamo posted: »

I liked your effort in showing us how dumb Carlos was for not telling the difference between the bites, but honestly, I believe Carlos wouldn't let Clementine into the house because of Sarah and would send her to the shed regardless.

• Wow o.o that, that actually makes a lot of sense!

Okay Carlos, you're off the hook!

Carlos: enter image description here

• edited January 2016

I still think that he just wanted to get rid of Clem, because he didn't trust her and tbh her story of being washed up somewhere and then randomly stumbling upon an abandoned campsite with an aggressive dog sounds a bit far fetched. They all knew what Carver was capable of, Carlos probably suspected her to be a spy as soon as he met her.

I don't think he actually couldn't tell the difference between the two bites, but rather wanted to keep Clementine away from the group, especially Sarah. Can't blame him tbh, that girl is a magnet for deaths of secondary characters.

• I remember these memes of Carlos saying "Just a mosquito bite" to a lot of the bite victims of the TV show xD

• Like everyone, I called bullshit when Carlos couldn't tell the difference between a dog bite and a walker bite. However, I do wish the writers brought up the points you just made so it made a lot more sense.

• @RichWalk23 I'm just sharing it, All the credit goes to @Deltino :)

RichWalk23 posted: »

I really appreciate your hard work in looking at the difference between a dog bite and a walker bite with visual imagery, and giving evidenc

• :) , ur post is the bomb. I like the way u explained the whole thing about the "BITE"....btw r u a doctor? :3

I got 99 problems , but lack of basic education ain't one xD

Deltino posted: »

For a minute there, I thought you just shamelessly hijacked my post, and I was about to challenge you to a fight Thanks to @Deltino for pointing out the info's now I want to challenge you to a hug for being an awesome dude

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator

r u a doctor?

Man, I wish

zLucKyClem posted: »

, ur post is the bomb. I like the way u explained the whole thing about the "BITE"....btw r u a doctor? I got 99 problems , but lack of basic education ain't one xD

• xD

Deltino posted: »

r u a doctor? Man, I wish

Sign in to comment in this discussion.