The one thing 'Tales from the Borderlands' made me feel about Handsome Jack

2»

Comments

• So you wanted Fiona and Sasha to be your animals and ditch the plan of the Vault?

• DeltinoDeltino Moderator
    edited January 2016

Sympathy isn't exactly the right word. More like pity, if anything

Which kind of lends to why I like his 'death' in Tales so much; it's one of those pathetic yet powerful deaths. Jack, pretty much cornered with no recourse, falls to his knees and begs, something that he has never done in the series up until this point. The closest we've seen him to begging is during the Angel fight in BL2, but otherwise, even in his BL2 death, he never resorted to begging. I like to think that his fear was actually genuine in that scene. He was quite literally reduced to nothing; no control, no power, no nothing. All that was left was the primal fear of dying alone and powerless.

• Jack is great. I felt plenty of sympathy for him during the Pre-Sequel. Just finished it. It showed despite what he became in BL2 and the hardships he suffered in the past, he had the potential to be a hero and to Athena at least, he was. Although he is the most entertaining villain I have ever played against in a video game, seeing who he was in TPS and seeing what he became in BL2 was tragic. I am comforted in knowing that Athena still thinks of Pre-BL2 Jack as a hero, so at least he isn't completely hated by the cast.

• edited January 2016

It's amazing if you think about it. In 2015; Joker and Jack are two amazing villains who died in previous games; and are considered some of the greatest video game villains of all time. Even villains in general entertainment. Anyways, both met their fate in other games. BUT, in Arkham Knight and Tales they made VERY similar appearances in those games. Your playable character is the only one who can see or hear them. They taunt you. Joke with/at you. And basically bring you on the verge of insanity. I now will consider this a concept for villains called, "The Devil On Your Shoulder" concept. And to top it off, they both have sympathetic/pitiful ends. Joker saying he's nothing and is forgotten without Batman. Same with Jack; he can't handle being powerless, forgotten, and being dead as a whole. Both were amazing with how they were portrayed; especially with the superb voice work. People love these villains, and you can't say that about most. These two evil legends left their mark on their games, 2015's gaming, and most likely a lot more years to come IMO.

Joker vs. Handsome Jack, go!

• Jack never expressed an affinity for violence before the events of the Pre-Sequel. He even let the Meriff live at first. So him straight up murdering his wife would have been out of character, unless his first wife was anything like his grandmother(though even then he didn't kill his grandma until BL2). It is possible though, that he was poking and experimenting with Angel's siren power and he some how triggered the death of his wife.

Linnet posted: »

Even if Tragic Backstory were an excuse for his behavior, you're assuming Jack was telling the truth. Which has never been the case when th

• edited January 2016

I felt some pity towards him in the end, but if we're quite honest, he deserved whatever was coming to him. People love to portray Jack as some kind of tragic hero, some misunderstood mind. That's what he thinks of himself actually. The problem is that he really isn't. Jack was a mass murderer, a sadistic piece of shit and a sociopath. That's all he ever was, and that's how he will be remembered by everyone on Pandora whose life he ruined.

I think people feel sympathy for Jack because they think he's misunderstood, because they think that there is a good person somewhere under all that bad. Sadly, that person has been dead for a long, long time. The Jack we saw in BL2 was already a complete nutjob, and his AI wasn't any better. Murdering people for not answering his questions, laughing as thousands of people are flung into space. In the end, after he betrays Rhys one last time, I couldn't feel sympathy for this guy any more, just pity as I crushed him. He deserved whatever the nothing he spoke about is. There is no justifying what he did.

• Jack may have been a terrible person, but at least he was funny about it! That makes it totally okay. Even if he did kill my favorite BL1 character. I still like him because he is hilarious. To be honest this series is littered with terrible people. So far we have gotten to play as a poacher, a cannibal, a self-serving war criminal, and a puppy killer among (and I still love Nisha despite that) many others. I actually can't see how we can add characters more despicable than the cast we have gotten so far, so it's exciting to see if they actually manage.

I felt some pity towards him in the end, but if we're quite honest, he deserved whatever was coming to him. People love to portray Jack as s

• Haha, wait!

Jack could be like Ceaser (Fallout: New Vegas). Desiring old world values and genuine peace, but the ends don't justify the means. In HJ's case, his cracked mind is his biggest hinderance.

• Just finished Borderlands 2. Even though he kept her locked up, used her powers to get ahead in his career, and started pumping her full of eredium, he actually genuinely loved her.

"Please no! Are you hearing me? Please don't kill my baby girl!"
    The emotional break down he went through while you cut of Angel's life supply.
    The change in his personality after she died.

And it isn't really a stretch that he is capable of genuinely loving his kid. Judging by all the echos, she was pretty much his best friend and one of the only friends he really had.

I actually wished he had shown a little more sadness over Nisha, rather than just a moment of him dropping character. :(

I love Handsome Jack more than the next person, but... he loved his daughter so much

• edited February 2016

Or, is that Red Dragon? That Hannibal Lector movie with Edward Norton? Maybe I'm way off.

God that just made me think of this one old-school horror serial killer movie where the guy's mother is screaming, "I'll cut it off! Is that

• edited February 2016

I did feel bad for Jack for that moment but when he was trying to kill me, I was like "Never mind, I'll kill you" and I immediately crushed it when the choice popped out.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.