DC Universe Animated Original Movies Discussion

JenniferJennifer Moderator

Since Batman is in most of these, I thought I'd start a discussion about these films in this section of the forums.

I just watched Justice League vs. Teen Titans, and I have to say I'm impressed. It is a great film. I enjoyed Damien Wayne’s storyline in Son of Batman, Batman vs Robin, and Batman: Bad Blood, but I think that even those who don’t care for Damien might just start to warm up to him by the end of this. The Teen Titans were exactly what he needed.

Also, as a fan of the original Teen Titans cartoon show, it was nice to see that they managed to have Cyborg team up believably with the Titans despite the fact that he’s a full member of the Justice League in this continuity. Also, Batman’s reaction to the threat was perfect. It’s exactly what you’d expect he’d do.

The only thing that I didn’t like about it was the odd choice of a Sailor Moon style transformation when the Teen Titans suited up. I’m a fan of Sailor Moon, but it just seemed out of place here. Everything else in the film was excellent though.

Comments

• edited April 2016

Really? I actually didn't like it, it's not bad, but not really good either. I think personally they should stop with these Damian fanboy movies. They start him off as liitle shit, defies Batman, rude to almost everyone around him and then he defeats the bad guy at the end, and learns a lesson, then in the next movie he starts off as a shithead again. So happy to see Blue Beetle shut him up when his mouth backfired on him.

Under The Red Hood is my favorite, and Killing Joke I'm super hyped for.

• Killing Joke looks good.

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2016

I think they're handling Damien pretty well personally. He was trained as an assassin, and told that he was going to rule the world by his grandfather's side, so it makes sense that he would be arrogant and cocky. The first film had Bruce come to terms with having a son, the second had Bruce try to get him to adapt to his motto of not killing (which was hard for Damien, as a trained assassin, but by the end he did that and kept that up throughout the rest of the films), and the third film had Damien come to terms with Dick Grayson, who he felt that Bruce saw more of a son than his own son (and, in some ways, he's right).

But this one had a real turning point for Damien. He finally was able to exercise his demons by the end (literally, when he chose to fight his grandfather rather than kill Raven). Without the idea that he is destined to rule by his grandfather's side (since he willingly gave that up), he can grow as a character even more.

bloop posted: »

Really? I actually didn't like it, it's not bad, but not really good either. I think personally they should stop with these Damian fanboy mo

• It's just that his personality is just so unlikeable, He was bearable in Batman vs Robin and Bad Blood, but this one seems like he just got taken in by Batman again and acts so like he's better than everyone else. Plus, I wish Nightwing would get some more love in these movies, he just gets shafted in all of them except for Bad Blood.

I feel these New 52 movies haven't been that good, the only new animated DC movie I'm excited for is The Killing Joke, which Rated R, Has Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill return as Batman and Joker, and has Bruce Timm working on it. There's no doubt in my mind that will kick so much ass. Also here's a pic from it when Hamill and Conroy tweeted that they were coming back:

enter image description here

• I'll be honest, ever since flashpoint, every new 52 film has ranged from meh to garbage IMO. I've enjoyed the non 52 related films though (AoA, Gods and Monsters, etc.)

• Making the Killing Joke as an animated movie is quite ballsy. That legendary comic thingy is super dark take of the Joker and if they "censor" it in their adaption, it would bomb.

We're talking about the animated movie that will have the Joker doing some quite BDSM related things to his "latest" victim. It's quite screwed up even on his standards.

• Oh man, this movie is going to be the bomb.

It's just that his personality is just so unlikeable, He was bearable in Batman vs Robin and Bad Blood, but this one seems like he just got

• The Killing Joke looks great.

I also quite enjoyed both parts of The Dark Knight Returns

Especially this part-enter link description here

• edited April 2016

After the flashpoint paradox the Justice League vs Teen Titans movie was the second best new 52 animated movie (certainly the best movie with Damian Wayne in it).
    Jay Oliva made some great animated movies including Dark Knight Returns, Flashpoint paradox and Assault on Arkham which were great but anything new 52 with Damian in it turned out shit until now imo

Sam Liu is a good director but it will be interesting to see him do the killing joke. I guess he is the best all round director - the new 52 movies are finally headed in the right direction and the Killing Joke will be up there with Under the Red hood, Mask of the Phantasm and DK Returns.

• The ones that I have seen are all pretty good, and I´m pretty hyped for The Killing Joke. This animated movie adaptations I believe are a great way to introduce the storyline to people that is not that much incline to read a comicbook, at least I usually do it with friends that will never accept to read a comic but are cool with the idea to see an animated movie.

But I have to agree that a lot of the new 52 ones are pretty forgettable, not bad, just not as good as some of the others. But in general DC has amazing animated movies and series, that´s a department where I think they give Marvel a run for their money.

• edited April 2016

I think that's easy because Marvel doesn't even bother trying to do animated films anymore, they had a great series of movies like Hulk Vs, Next Avengers and Planet Hulk in the Noughties. Then when Disney took over they shafted the animation company who made them for scrapping Wolverine and the X-Men and who then went over to DC to make Young Justice... and then Warner shafted them too. But Marvel and Disney only care about kid focused animated shows now, so we're never going to get a solid animated Civil War or Secret Wars adaption any time soon.

Marvel did have an anime group do two decent Iron Man and Punisher/Black Widow movies over 2013 and 2014, but sees like that partnership has been dropped too. So Warner really has no competition in that regard.

SpaceTales posted: »

The ones that I have seen are all pretty good, and I´m pretty hyped for The Killing Joke. This animated movie adaptations I believe are a gr

• edited April 2016

Batman has always lend itself better as animated piece of media than live acted movies. So yeah, when it comes to animated Batman related stuff, it's all great for the most part.

• Agreed. Not only that but WB does the right thing, they have their original shows but they also have direct adaptations. If Marvel had a few of those something good was bound to be good. Like you said, a solid animated Civil War? Who´s not gonna see it at least?

In general Disney kind of has affected in a bad way to the overall production of Marvel products. Sure we have the films now and the comics they are making tons of crazy stuff because they don´t have to worry financially so they can experiment a lot more and is great. But the videogames department and the animation one had gone forever.

I think that's easy because Marvel doesn't even bother trying to do animated films anymore, they had a great series of movies like Hulk Vs,

• Honestly I think them DC animated movies always vary in quality. As of late however I haven't seen one all too memorable since Flashpoint (although, I did lose interest in them shortly after that one).

• edited May 2016

Out of all the ones I've seen.

The great: Under the Red Hood, Year One, Mask of the Phantasm, Return of the Joker, Both parts of the Dark Knight Returns.

The good: Superman/Doomsday, Crisis on Two Earths, Doom, Superman vs. the Elite, The Flashpoint Paradox, Mystery of the Batwoman, Batman vs. Dracula,

The meh: Gotham Knight, Son of Batman, Assault on Arkham

The bad: All-Star Superman, Apocalypse, The New Frontier, Trouble in Tokyo,

• This looks incredible!

So excited. enter link description here

• edited May 2016

I have seen almost all of the DC animated movies so I'll try to keep it concise and list my personal favourites.

Best -
    Batman: Under the Red Hood, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, DK Returns Part 1 and 2, JL: Flashpoint paradox

Also good -
    Batman Assault on Arkham, JL: Doom, JL: Crisis on two earths and Batman: Year One

JL vs Teen Titans was also pretty good - no surprise considering it was Sam Liu who is a good director and it was about time a decent new 52 animated movie (other than JL: Flashpoint paradox) came out.

Also REALLY looking forward to Batman: The Killing Joke - it's by Sam Liu again and it's R rated so what's not to like? :D

• CathalOHaraCathalOHara Moderator

I haven't watched all of them, but they're very hit or miss for me. Sadly it's becoming much more of the latter as of late.

I really liked Batman Under the Red Hood and Superman vs. and thought The Dark Knight Returns (part 1 at least) and The Flashpoint Paradox were pretty good.

But then there's some I'm not too fond of, like most of the Justice League movies, The Dark Knight Returns Part 2, All-Star Superman and Batman Assault on Arkham. Still though! I'm really looking forward to Killing Joke. Has an awful lot to live up to though, let's hope it's great.

• Sorry, for the necrobump but The Killing Joke is out and i wanted to hear people's opinion on the movie and specially on that one controversial scene.

• DC is clearly a considerable force when it comes to animations.

• edited July 2016

I liked it alot. Saw it in the theaters and can't wait to buy it on DVD. Didn't mind the scene. One thing that bothered me the most about the movie was Joker's flashback with his wife. I always felt like it was a gut wrenching moment in the comic, and it just felt a little off in the movie.

papai46 posted: »

Sorry, for the necrobump but The Killing Joke is out and i wanted to hear people's opinion on the movie and specially on that one controversial scene.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.