What to know before playing? (character and story wise)

i keep putting this game off because i havent played the borderlands games so dont know any of the characters or what will be happening! im also scared in case of accidentally reading spoilers of telltales game

So what is best to know before playing Tales of Borderlands?

Thank you

Comments

• I think this video is a good overview of some of the major plotlines in previous borderlands games. Generally, a lot of Tales is easy to understand without full knowledge of the world and most of the characters in Tales are original characters for the game, though not all.

Borderlands in 5 Minutes

• Handsome Jack is the bad guy, never trust him.

• Don't get too sucked into shipping, everyone on tumblr did that and it did not end well

• ErykaEryka Banned

Don't listen to her and join the one of the ships!

lottii-lu posted: »

Don't get too sucked into shipping, everyone on tumblr did that and it did not end well

• It's gonna be funny.

Also, kick the trash can as Rhys. :)

• edited April 2016

Handsome Jack was a hero in Borderlands 2, he will elad you to the right path.

• You seriously dont need to know anything.

• I didn't know anything when I first played and this game made me fall in love with the series. I've been going back to the shooter games since (I'm not even a big shooter fan) and I can't wait to do another "educated" playthrough of Tales.

• I went it with no knowledge of the previous games other than a short summary, and I loved it. The two series (main and Tales) rarely cross over.

• edited April 2016

I didn't know anything either. No problem! Definitely don't put the game off anymore; it's the bestest!
    But if I now introduce the game to my friends (some of whom have the same concerns you do) I tell them:

1. Borderlands is originally a shooter. There are several games in the series. They're quite popular.
    2. It's set on Pandora. Think Mad Max, but with even more guns (and mysterious alien treasure in hidden "vaults", which everyone wants).
    3. Handsome Jack is the villain (or depending on your point of view: "glorious hero") of the games. Before his defeat at the hands of the game's protagonists (known as "Vault Hunters"), he was in charge of Hyperion. A huge intergalactic corporation with an interest in Pandora.

That's all! Have fun gaming!

• i played tjlhe game after playing borderlands 2 and pre sequel but you dont really need to know much about previous games for tales but ibreccommend the games as they are fun

• They made a video specifically to prepare for Tales from the Borderlands. Tells you everything you "need" to know.

You can still go in completely blind though....

• There is a prologue in the beginning of the gane that catches you up on the Borderlands story, so you really don't need to know anything and should probably stay off of here to avoid spoilers :)

• edited April 2016

So me, being a Borderlands know-it-all-no-life, will try to break down the essentials to add to your experience of Tales without spoiling the other games too much.

Borderlands universe, everything is controlled by these mega-corps. They pretty much own their own planets, have their own tech and military and everything and constantly compete with each other. Several companies take interest in Pandora (the planet Borderlands takes place) because of the belief that Eridian tech (the super advanced ancient aliens of this universe) can be found there, including the biggest of the super-mega-corps.: Atlas. Ultimately, Atlas goes bankrupt trying to fight the Vault Hunters (you) in the first game. With this sudden power vacuum, Hyperion rises to the top of the mega-corps. and Handsome Jack seizes power quickly and violently within the company (TPS). While some of his fanboys believe he is just a victim who was driven insane, there is a lot of proof that Jack was a monster just wearing a mask (before he literally started wearing a mask). The intro to tales sums up the events of BL2 briefly and I'll only add that it downplays the atrocities he commits.

I'd be happy to share any more info about the canon or characters if you'd want.

• Step three with Scooter.

• Dammit, I was just coming back to say that.

Step three with Scooter.

• Wasn't rule one not to forget step 3?

Dammit, I was just coming back to say that.

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2016

The first two or so minutes of Episode 1 briefs you in to what the premise of the Borderlands universe is through a cutscene. There are references/etc to previous games that will increase your immersion if you've played other titles, but it is absolutely not necessary at all to know about Borderlands prior to coming in.

With the exception of a few titles such as Game of Thrones, Telltale almost always makes their stories friendly to both newcomers and veteran fans of a franchise.

• edited April 2016

Eh, the OP should make their own choice.

• edited April 2016

If OP wants to side with Fiona, let them side with Fiona, it's not really a big deal if they do/don't want to side with Jack.

• edited April 2016

Complete spoilers for Borderlands 1 & 2 in video!!!

enter link description here

"So, You want to hear another story, eh?"

enter image description here

• thanks for the tips everyone! these prep videos will be very useful

now to stay away from this thread like @VengefulKenny suggests.... im already conflicted on this handsome jack fellow o_O

• Have fun playing! I can 100% guarantee you won't be disappointed

Joonlar posted: »

thanks for the tips everyone! these prep videos will be very useful now to stay away from this thread like @VengefulKenny suggests.... im already conflicted on this handsome jack fellow o_O

• Yes, have fun and gtfo of here! Lol. It's a great game, you'll enjoy it.

thanks for the tips everyone! these prep videos will be very useful now to stay away from this thread like @VengefulKenny suggests.... im already conflicted on this handsome jack fellow o_O

• DON'T SHIP!!!! FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY DON'T SHIP! OR YOUR SOUL WILL BE LOST!!!!

• This coming from a Rhysha shipper.

Leluch123 posted: »

DON'T SHIP!!!! FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY DON'T SHIP! OR YOUR SOUL WILL BE LOST!!!!

• It's too late for you or me but there is still a chance that he/she could be saved...

This coming from a Rhysha shipper.

• A year later and I finally completed it. It was hilarious and had so many great characters. One of the best Telltale Games for sure. The last episode dragged on too long though.

• I went with Jack in ep2 because it seemed wiser than Fion'as "blow ourselves up" plan.

• I'd definitely consider it a hidden gem among games. Any favorite moments?

A year later and I finally completed it. It was hilarious and had so many great characters. One of the best Telltale Games for sure. The last episode dragged on too long though.

• edited May 2017

Probably the moment in ep3 (i think) where sasha is in danger of falling off the bridge. The scene occurred really abruptly and i was like "oh great theyre going to quickly force in a character death here"... then she landed on the ground like 2feet below and was totally fine. haha. that one got a big grin out of me

apart from that.. gordys was constantly hilarious, and i love fiona's shocked/disgusted face:

Fiona

i dont even remember what she's reacting to here but her face made me laugh at the time. she was my favourite character

I'd definitely consider it a hidden gem among games. Any favorite moments?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.