How do you think Joker got those scars?

Comments

• He probably had horrid acne

enter image description here

• edited April 2016

I always had a feeling they were self-inflicted. For what reason, I can't precisely say. There are hundreds of possible scenarios. But I don't think a random thug or someone out to get him would make smile scars on his face. It definitely looks like something a psychotic person might do to himself.

• In "L'Homme qui rit" of Victor Hugo, someone made the scar to the main character who was yet just a child.

I'm mentionning this 'cause it was this character who inspired the creator of the Joker. Putting the scar in this movie was -I guess- a way to remember the origin of the character.. So it's not like it's a real answer, but it might be an argument it wasn't self inflicted.

enter image description here

Ricoco7891 posted: »

I always had a feeling they were self-inflicted. For what reason, I can't precisely say. There are hundreds of possible scenarios. But I don

• edited April 2016

Yeah one other thought I had was that there is no real answer to why Joker has those scars. I think it might just be one of those questions where people are left to make their own interpretations. And at the end there isn't even really an answer.

Euron posted: »

In "L'Homme qui rit" of Victor Hugo, someone made the scar to the main character who was yet just a child. I'm mentionning this 'cause it

• Telltale is full of everything unexpected. So I doubt someone may hit the nail on the head. Haha. I'm leaning more towards it possibly being self inflicted (considering the Joker is insane), but the ideas are endless especially coming from Telltale. lmao...

He could have got them from someone and has justified actions throughout the story, which seems like something Telltale would do. They lean more towards realistic ideals, too??

• Why Telltale would put the scars? It's only in the movies of Nolan he's got those, as far I know of the universe.

hoodratq posted: »

Telltale is full of everything unexpected. So I doubt someone may hit the nail on the head. Haha. I'm leaning more towards it possibly being

• He's erratic maybe he's a speed freak and had worms under his skin

• I think they are wounds from shrapnel as he was an army soldier in The Dark Knight. (BTW, this theory comes from Reddit)

So from what we see, the joker a very smart tactician, has very good fighting skills, and also very knowledgable of officials. This has me to speculate that he may have been a spec ops agent, a master of subterfuge.

His superb fighting, being able to overpower a door guard, almost beating batman, and easily making a pencil disappear might be from military training. his precise planning, from the bank heist, to the escape from the police station, even the last scene, it's all planned perfectly, might imply that he was a high ranking general or tactician of some sort. And he knows a lot about "the system", meaning he probably worked for the government, but ended up hating it. Another note, during the police burial ritual, he seemed to know what the movements were, perfectly, implying he has had some training.

Also, war has been known to make people " Insane", and his strong almost painless resistance to batmans interrogation might imply that he was a prisoner or even a hostage once.

He also says to Harvey Dent "When a truck load of soldiers get's blow up in Iraq NOBODY freaks out...because its all part of the plan." He could be referring to the fact that that he was in a truck explosion and lived but was badly scarred.

In the comics I honestly don't know how he got them.

• But he would loose his tongue and teeth if it was because of a shrapnel, no?

In the comics he doesn't got it; usually it's the whole green hair, chemical thing and white skin.

I think they are wounds from shrapnel as he was an army soldier in The Dark Knight. (BTW, this theory comes from Reddit) So from what we

• Probably something crazy like it was accidentally caused by Batman from some odd time traveling adventure with the justice League.

• You mean when he had no face? that´s easy, he made Dollmaker cut it to prove Batman he was the same, mask or not mask. Stupid idea, but Snyder has always being an edgy writer more about the shock that the content itself.

Wait...you´re not talking Joker, you´re talking Nolan´s rendition. Then Euron already answer you perfectly in the third post, despite all the fan speculation, it´s just a simple way to show respect to the original source while completely changing it.

• Heh, nice guess but I highly doubt it.

He probably had horrid acne

• Honestly, I hope it's kept a mystery.

• He made it himself

• I think the Joker was scared by clowns as a child, and that he is a traumatized combat veteran. And I would say that little hints of that can be found in the film.

For example, His knowing the drill of a mitary like burial, when he disguise himself as one of the rifleman for the commissioner Loeb's funeral. He never missed a beat, when they were told to hold different stances, and that kind of training seems to suggest a military background.

Also, when he talks about "a truckload of soldiers being blown up" in his conversation with a disfigured Harvey Dent, that too seems to lend itself to the idea of him having combat experience, as terrorist groups in Iraq have been known to plant roadside bombs, that have killed thousands of soldiers.

His knowledge and experience with all different kinds of explosives, and not to mention his almost surgical planning and tactics of different terror attacks seems they just thought he was not only involved in demolition, but also that he possibly held a rank of command - given the way he was able to convince other criminals to follow him.

And probably what happened to him, was that he was captured by terrorist Fighters and then brutally tortured, which is where he probably got his scars from.

So that, combined with his being scared of clowns as a child, all caused him to lose his mind to the point of no return, and he thus assumed the appearance of that which terrified him, like Bruce Wayne did by dressing up as a bat.

• He was trying to eat a sandwich, but it was too big.

Happens to the best of them.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.