What Batman series do you like better? Nolan or Burton?

I prefer Nolan. Those movies were really good and really well written.

Comments

• Nolan all the way. Brilliantly written movies.

• Burton.
    They had a feeling Nolan did not give. I really liked this gothic feeling on gotham.

Also Batman begins was bad, the second was good, the third was ok.

Too much "dark" for the hell of it and the fact it wanted to be "realistic" (while it wasn't in fact) throw away good points of the characters.

• kenjisalkkenjisalk Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2016

That's kind of the amazing thing about the Batman universe, it can be so many different and interesting things in the hands of different people. I have a soft spot for Burton's Batman because it had such cool atmosphere, while I love Nolan's take on The Dark Knight due to the complex themes and the rich character development. It's hard to pick one over the other! : )

• What about Joel Schumacher's Batman series?! Just kidding.

I actually like both about equal. They are very different and each have strengths and weaknesses.

• What about Joel Schumacher's Batman series

He only made one movie lol.

alexgo posted: »

What about Joel Schumacher's Batman series?! Just kidding. I actually like both about equal. They are very different and each have strengths and weaknesses.

• No, he made Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. I wish he had only made one movie, giving the characters codpieces in the second movie was just ridiculous.

What about Joel Schumacher's Batman series He only made one movie lol.

• IKR LOL.

No, he made Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. I wish he had only made one movie, giving the characters codpieces in the second movie was just ridiculous.

• Can i say none??

Burton redefine the character and along with Frank Miller comics they both changed the character and that´s still the Batman people know and read/watch. He certainly give him THE BEST suit in terms of visual power (the only of all the suits that made it into the comics after Knightfall along with the Adam West one) and Gotham looks perfect, in general that first movie visually is spot on in everything... then we get the second one and...oh boy. The studio felt so confident with Burton that they let him run free, and he fucked up the second movie with too much "burtonism", the kind of burtonism that he has being living with ever since. So for making Batman: A nightmare in christmas the series falls, and then Schumacker came in and trying to keep all that colorful and weird shit from the second movie plus his desire to pay tribute to Adam West´s version... Well, no need to ever talk about this issue any more.

And while Nolan gives GREAT movies, his interpretation of the character is soooo far out of what Batman is about. He takes the whole lore so seriously and changed so much stuff that in the end, the movies are Batman movies in name alone. Here´s this wacky guy that wants to "burn the world" only we are gonna call him Joker because that´s something from the comics, here´s this terrorist with a weird voice and we are calling him Bane also, there´s that cat lady, you liked the cat lady in the previous movie with this name no? here you have it again, but not really... Burton changed a lot of stuff, but at least the stuff he changed still felted as it belong in a comicbook rather than a movie, while Nolan certainly looks the franchise and says "let´s get ride of all the comicbook stuff, that´s for kiddies". He doesn´t even want to come closer to another superhero movie, he doesn´t like superheroes, even when making a superhero movie he gets ride of most of the superhero stuff. Bale is a terrible actor in the franchise, that voice... that´s just stupid, can't even take it seriously and I have never done it, I got "shhs" all the time ever since the first movie ´cause I couldn´t stop laugh out loud in the cinema every time he talked, I still can´t watch those movies without bursting every time he opens his cancerous throat mouth and the heavy breathing and everything, just ridiculous. Again, great movies, bad interpretations.

So, for me, my favorite live action Batman movie, the one that I can see over and over again and never get tired? 1969 TV movie with Adam West that launched the series. It´s corny as fuck, stupid and cheap, but it´s also fun, upbeat, doesn´t give a crap about what you think if you don´t enjoy it and is not afraid of going full comicbook cheeky . But since is not on the question, my answer is none, I´ll stick with the comics thanks.

PD: No BvS? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Gawd, that joke was better than the entire movie.

• Hey those are usefully..as we're the nipples on the suits.

IKR LOL.

• Burtons

• Nolan easy

• Neither, West

enter image description here

I'm just kidding, Nolan has my favourite movies but Bale is only my 3rd favourite Batman, behind Kevin Conroy and Ben Affleck.

• Burtons. But only the first one. Second is imo the worst.

Keaton in original Batman was perfect. Back then I was a kid and didn't know much about character - Batman/Wayne was... mysterious. Atmosphere of Gotham was dark, Joker was crazy, he used horrible gas that made people faces super creepy. Action, characters, everything made this film great.

Nolan films are fast. Action never slows down. It's like ideas for 5 hours film are placed in 2 h film. Batman is totally explained - there's nothing mysterious about him. We learn who taught him everything, where he gets his toys from, who's helping Wayne etc. No dark atmosphere; just... lack of sunlight, from time to time. I don't like Bale, Wayne is unlikeable. The way Batman speaks is terrible. Only interesting character in trilogy was Joker but they didn't give him enough time.

• Burton's Batman was a pretty effective mix of dark and camp. Nolan's universe was a little too po-faced for my liking. I think Telltale should strive for something a little closer in tone to the Bruce Timm/Paul Dini animated show. (That doesn't mean they should recast the exact same voice actors, of course. It's time for some new blood.)

• I agree Nolan's are the best movies but i can't help but love 60s Batman.

enter image description here

Neither, West I'm just kidding, Nolan has my favourite movies but Bale is only my 3rd favourite Batman, behind Kevin Conroy and Ben Affleck.

• Best Movie? Nolan's movies were far superior in my opinion. Best Batman? Ben fuckin' Affleck.

• The winner so far is Nolan.

• edited May 2016

Nolan's films were better but I absolutely revere the Burton Batman films. Both iconic landmarks in this tremendous characters history. Burton redefined Batman to be a dark hero on the big screen basically whereas Nolan redefined superhero films in general. Nolan created the better world (heightened realism) but the Gotham Burton created was also really good.

Honestly I doubt anyone will surpass what Nolan managed to accomplish - the man is a genius film maker. Okay that's enough of me being a sycophant :D

*Also worth noting that Ben Affleck as Batman was the closest to the comics and probably the best thing about BvS - shame the film didn't match his performance.

• Batman89 and Batman Forever where good, I like the Nolan films better though. The Burton films are incredibly overrated in my opinion, Batman89 helped make dark Batman cool again, but is otherwise pretty unfaithful to the comics and character, Batman Returns is good Tim Burton film but a pretty bad Batman film.

• My overall rankings

1. The dark knight
    2. Batman 89 (I might actually consider it better than the dark knight from a repeat viewing standpoint)
    3. Batman v Superman
    4. Batman Forever (criminally underrated for many reasons)
    5. Batman Begins
    6. Batman Returns
    7. The Dark Knight Rises
    8. Batman and Robin

Had Nolan stopped at two films I’d probably consider his pair better than Burtons but I HATED the dark knight rises so Burtons are better quality IMO. Keaton was far and away a better batman though.

JawaEater posted: »

Batman89 and Batman Forever where good, I like the Nolan films better though. The Burton films are incredibly overrated in my opinion, Batma

• Nolan's first two films where better then 89 and Returns, so I consider the Nolan series better. I agree about Batman Forever though, its a MUCH better Batman film then Batman Returns.

My overall rankings * The dark knight * Batman 89 (I might actually consider it better than the dark knight from a repeat viewing stan

• Burtons. But only the first one. Second is imo the worst.
    judi bola
    Keaton in original Batman was perfect. Back then I was a kid and didn't know much about character - Batman/Wayne was... mysterious. Atmosphere of Gotham was dark, Joker was crazy, he used horrible gas that made people faces super creepy. Action, characters, everything made this film great.
    domain hosting
    Nolan films are fast. Action never slows down. It's like ideas for 5 hours film are placed in 2 h film. Batman is totally explained - there's nothing mysterious about him

• Depiction of Batman is the most important thing in a Batman movie and i think Burton did that a bit better even though his Batman was simplified, still it was better than a Batman whose majority of the work is done by Lucius Fox and did very minimal detective work himself. Bale's Batman was just a guy in a superhero costume who knows martial arts, he didn't really showed Batman's true power and that is being an excellent detective. The way he threw punches at Bane in first fight, it was so idiotic and out of character for a Batman that it was laughable. Affleck's Batman is easily the best but he needs a good script to work on.

• enter image description here

Hey those are usefully..as we're the nipples on the suits.

• Nolan is this even a question?
    better execution of villains by giving us one of the greatest performances ever with heath ledger and bane wasnt to shabby either

• dark knight rises it very low... why did you not like it?

My overall rankings * The dark knight * Batman 89 (I might actually consider it better than the dark knight from a repeat viewing stan

• It was pretty early, and [Christopher] Nolan and I had long conversation about it, a really great, sort of philosophical conversation about it. He was really cool because he played an amazing devil’s advocate about why not to do it, and then in the end was like, ‘No you’re right, it’s better to do it.Malangtravel guide

• Nolan's films had the better writing and character development; however, his Gotham City and atmosphere just didn't really feel like Batman to me. This is the opposite for Burton, who nailed the character and world design (his Gotham City is fucking perfect), as well as the atmosphere, but was much weaker when it came to creating interesting and well-developed characters.

Honestly though, if I wanted the definitive Batman experience, I would play Arkham Asylum which pretty much nailed everything Batman related to a tee.

• edited June 2016

frank millers year one I hope

• Nolan. He is too consistent.

• Nolan's films were better but I absolutely revere the Burton Batman films. Judi Poker Both iconic landmarks in this tremendous characters history. Burton redefined Batman to be a dark hero on the big screen basically whereas Nolan redefined superhero films in general. Poker Online

• Nolan easy

• Burton. Nolan's Batman is for casuals. Burton's films at least resembled a comic book story.

• While the first Burton Batman film was really awesome, the second one, looking back on it at a critical standpoint, is a poorly written mess that does not even come CLOSE to it's source material. But Nolan's films don't get it any more right than Batman Returns did. But still, it's well written and Heath Ledger's Joker happened because of that series, so in all fairness, Nolan's series is much better. But if people don't agree that's 100% alright. It's all opinion on what somebody finds to be the better movie based on their personality and tastes alone.

• I completely agree.

Dawnbreaker posted: »

Nolan's films had the better writing and character development; however, his Gotham City and atmosphere just didn't really feel like Batman

• YOOOOOO. This is true.

Tolispro posted: »

Best Movie? Nolan's movies were far superior in my opinion. Best Batman? Ben fuckin' Affleck.

• The Nolan movies are better for me -- absolutely no contest. When he's on form, Nolan is a master storyteller and he took Batman from being a cartoony laughing stock, following the Schumacher era, to being the coolest superhero in cinema, whether you think his movies were "comic-booky" enough or not.

• You don't mean that, Where would we be today if not for mr Freeze and his ice puns?

No, he made Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. I wish he had only made one movie, giving the characters codpieces in the second movie was just ridiculous.

• Burton.

I don't like Batman Begins, The Dark Knight is great, but is probably the most overrated movie of the last 20 years, and i don't care for the 3rd one.

And the voice? Awful.

I thought Christian Bale performance was lackluster. Probably just my bias because i don't like Christian Bale lol.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.