Empty Humans [Character submission open]

edited July 2016 in Forum Games

Hey there, I'm mello and welcome to my story! I'm relatively new here and I've been reading (and loving) lots of the fanfictions on these forums :) I've been planning to do this for a while but I haven't been brave enough, just in case It's not well recieved. I plucked up the courage and I am super ready to write!

Story

The story is inspired by Humans, a British sci-fi series. I'm going to put my own spin on it though, so it won't be like the show :3 This story takes place in modern-day America, in a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a 'Imita' - a highly-developed robotic servant that's so similar to a real human it's transforming the way people live. I won't reveal too much on the story yet ^-^

Character Submission

Click the link below to create a character. Your character can be an imita or a human. You don't have to make them super detailed ;)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11o2x6EGYD4-X4SPsNglPAgV_DV6LFcb680tJIqd3GbI/viewform

Characters introduced:

Characters not yet intoduced: Daniel Adams, Adam Arashi Asakura, Suki Loveheart, Jane Rayner, Jennifer Stuart, Gavin Stuart, Old man Scotchmo, Connor Hudson (Hoss), Sally Matthews, Edward Bayne, Murphy Osman, Alexander Burgess (Alex), Alexander Rutherford

(Dead and unknown characters will be on the first page under a spoiler tag)

Chapters

Prolouge- 06/07/2016

Chapter 1- All we have 11/07/2016-16/07/2016

Comments

• Characters dead or unknown:

• This sounds like a very intriguing idea and I got a good feeling about this! I'm loving stories with sci-fi elements, so I am very excited for this to begin. Hopefully more readers will follow. I already got an idea for two characters, I'm hoping to submit them soon :D

• Thanks, I love sci-fi as well :D I'll look forward to your characters if you decide to submit them! ^-^

This sounds like a very intriguing idea and I got a good feeling about this! I'm loving stories with sci-fi elements, so I am very excited f

• I don't know much about Humans, I only saw a few parts of it, but this looks interesting. I'll try and submit a character when I have time.

• I followed Liquid here, that's how I found you :)

Have to say, never seen that British show, but the description triggers memories of about 3-5+ anime series with very similar settings and stories. Looking at the portrait of yours I assume it wouldn't be a problem if I imagine all the people like anime characters and make a char on similar concept?

• No problem, I was thinking I knew quite a few anime series with the same kind of concept :)

joriandrake posted: »

I followed Liquid here, that's how I found you Have to say, never seen that British show, but the description triggers memories of about

• I sent my character Adam

mellofox28 posted: »

No problem, I was thinking I knew quite a few anime series with the same kind of concept

• Received :) He's a great character, I'll enjoy writing him in!

I sent my character Adam

• This was a very clever idea. Props on you for thinking so far ahead ;)

• Lord (whispering): Ok you just confirmed a theory i had.

Walks to the center of the room.

Lord (to everyone): I have discovered Liquids deepest secret! Something he wants to hide from everyone else. But i have decided that this has been ignored for far too long. LIQUID!!!!!!! (points at Liquid dramatically). Ever since you joined this forum you have blatantly out of your way to help other stories and give the writters appreciation and support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you have to say for yourself?

This sounds like a very intriguing idea and I got a good feeling about this! I'm loving stories with sci-fi elements, so I am very excited f

• Hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm. Interesting, this looks preatty good. I don't know wether to submit a character but i will definatly read. You just yourself my support on this :).

• Oh my, sounds cool. Though I don't have much time recently for rich character creation, perhaps I will give it a try in a shorter version.

• edited June 2016

Don't worry about being super detailed and long, shorter characters are great :)

Mathea posted: »

Oh my, sounds cool. Though I don't have much time recently for rich character creation, perhaps I will give it a try in a shorter version.

• Both short and long descriptions have their advantage, I myself tend to be pretty detailed though so I kept myself to just a single character here.

Don't worry about being super detailed and long, shorter characters are great

• I'm interested! Can't wait to see what comes from this story.

I also submitted a character so please tell me what you think. ^_^

• Followed Liquid here and decided to make a character, know nothing about Humans though.

• I am now super busy after work that I don't even have time to start the computer and at work google forms www is not opening... could you please send me a template of what information's are required and I will send it via PM today till later afternoon? :-) Could you accept such submission?

Don't worry about being super detailed and long, shorter characters are great

• Of course I could! I'll PM you with the template :)

I am now super busy after work that I don't even have time to start the computer and at work google forms www is not opening... could you pl

• Great, awaiting then :-)

Of course I could! I'll PM you with the template

• He's pretty great :) Don't worry about not knowing anything about it, none of the characters or storyline from Humans will be in this one.

Bounden posted: »

Followed Liquid here and decided to make a character, know nothing about Humans though.

• I submitted one, but I really didn't know what to say for the backstory... Sorry bout that.

• Did you send in characters?

• Yes indeed :D I've sent two characters, Jennifer and Gavin.

Did you send in characters?

• No problem, thanks for submitting :-)

mr.quality posted: »

I submitted one, but I really didn't know what to say for the backstory... Sorry bout that.

• Waiting for this to start. =)

• Me too :-)

Waiting for this to start.

• submitted two. hope they are to your fancy

• edited July 2016

Prologue

Do you know what the singularity is? It is the term used to describe the inevitable point in the future when technology surpasses us, when it becomes able to improve and reproduce itself without our help.

It is the moment we become inferior to the machine.

Daniel Adams

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Daniel jolted upright, his heart pounding in his chest. The wind swept through his raven black hair and sent leaves flying into the sky. 'God damn' he sighed. He'd had the nightmare again. His eyes drifted round the campsite.

'Good morning sunshine. You gave me quite a fright screaming like that!' A gentle voice said. Dan's head spun around. Sitting on a log, mesmerised by the campfire, was a young Japanese woman. She had long, blueish-black, waist length hair that swept over her face and slender hands which were currently holding a sizzling pan of sausages.

'You had the nightmare again, didn't you?' She spoke, not taking her gaze off the campfire. Dan averted his eyes from her. She always knew everything, even if she didn't see his face. He quickly tried to change the subject.

'Suki, you know we don't have to eat anything. You're wasting those sausages.' Dan said.

'I know that, I just like the smell that's all' She replied. 'Six'

‘What?’

‘Six times you’ve had that nightmare. You can’t avoid it forever, you know.’ Dan sighed. She wasn’t going to leave it alone now.

Suki turned to look at Dan, her big brown eyes meeting his ice blue ones. ‘I’m worried about you, things like this aren’t supposed to happen. It has to mean something’

‘What about us was supposed to happen? Even if I wanted to know what it meant, every time I wake up the images have gone. Dan lay back in his sleeping bag and looked up to the sky ‘How can I know what it means when I don’t know what I saw?’

‘I know...’ Suki looked back at the fire. ‘The campfire’s starting to die out, can you fetch some firewood? I’m going to turn off my hearing until you get back.’

‘Why turn off your hearing?’ Dan asked

‘It heightens my other senses. I just want to smell these sausages a while longer...’ Suki seemed almost sad. Dan felt a pain in his chest.

‘Suki...’ He began

She looked up at him ‘Go ahead, I’ll be fine.’ She switched off her hearing.

'Okay.' He sighed. Dan walked off into the forest.

What is human emotion? For example, what is love?

Is it something we are born with or can it be learnt?

Dan felt the leaves crunch beneath his feet as he walked through the forest. He couldn't stop thinking about what Suki had said. Every time he tried to remember what he had dreamt it seemed to slip further and further away. He sat down on a nearby rock and listened to the sound of wind blowing through the trees. The leaves rustled and the birds tweeted. He felt like he was in a constant dream.

Suddenly his eyes flew open. He could hear a low rumbing sound that seemed to grow louder. Dan poked his head out of the forest, looking out into the road that stood adjacent to it. A truck was moving straight towards him.

Dan stumbled backwards. Without warning, his feet took off running.

He sprinted through the woods, travelling faster than he'd ever done in his life until he reached the campsite. Dan darted behind a nearby bush. He felt every hair on the back of his neck stand up as the noises of the truck drew closer and closer.

‘They’ll pass. They have to pass.’ He whispered to himself.

His heart sank. Suki was still sitting on the log, mesmerised by the fire. She couldn’t hear the rumblings of the truck. Her head turned to look at Dan, her brown eyes meeting his ice blue ones that were peering out at her. The noises stopped right outside the campsite.

‘Dan?!’ She exclaimed.

And what about the darker emotions? Fear? Anger? Violence? Human consciousness is not complete without them.

Dan watched in horror as Suki dropped to the ground. Behind her stood a large man with dirty blonde hair, his hand touching the back of her neck. 'Night night sweetheart' He said in a gruff voice. Dan's heart stopped.

'This one will make a good dolly!' Another man smirked. 'We can get a pretty price for such a pretty girl.'

'Agreed' The blonde man said, running his fingers through her hair. 'With some modifications.' Dan felt his body tense and his face flush red. He lunged out of the bush and punched the blonde man square in the face. He toppled over

'You won't touch her!' he yelled, barely noticing the sudden crushing pain in his hand. The blonde man got up and wiped his nose, which was streaming with blood.

'Restrain him.' The other man pinned Dan's hands behind his back and slammed him into a tree. The blonde man looked Dan up and down. 'I might have treated her half decent if you hadn't have done that' he said wiping the blood from his nose. 'Shut him down and sell him to her. That's more than he deserves.'

Dan looked down at Suki. He couldn't describe the anger he felt.

'Suki...' He began. A sharp jab pierced his neck and turned him cold. 'I....'

Then everything faded to black.

How do you teach a computer to forget? Or to dream? It's something our minds have to do. Would a conscious Imita have to be able to dream? To have nightmares?

Of course not. They're just machines.

• This looks promising!

I submitted a character for ya aswell. Hope he's to your liking! : 3

Prologue Do you know what the singularity is? It is the term used to describe the inevitable point in the future when technology surpasse

• edited July 2016

What a sad but great start to the story! I'm really excited to see what you do with this.

Prologue Do you know what the singularity is? It is the term used to describe the inevitable point in the future when technology surpasse

• Wow.Ii already feel a dark vibe coming off of this and I love it! I honestly think this is going to be great and can't wait for more!

• Good start! Making appetite for the story further on. Speaking of... when the next part?!

• Probably between 11/07/2016 and 16/07/2016, it depends when I finish writing it :)

Good start! Making appetite for the story further on. Speaking of... when the next part?!

• Received him :) He's basically my boss right now minus the scar, so I have a pretty good idea of his personality XD

captainivy1 posted: »

This looks promising! I submitted a character for ya aswell. Hope he's to your liking! : 3

• I would like to motivate you with some of my character visualizations (dunno if you saw them in other stories), but sadly I have no time now for making them.... anyway, you can expect them in the future :-) And as for now, good writing, the story is intriguing!

Probably between 11/07/2016 and 16/07/2016, it depends when I finish writing it

• Awesome! Well, maybe not to awesome boss, but ya know what I mean.

Received him He's basically my boss right now minus the scar, so I have a pretty good idea of his personality XD

• Interesting, you set up quite a dark mood at start. Glad to see you back btw.

• This was an amazing start! I especially loved these short paragraphs between the main storyline of this part, those were pretty deep. The main storyline was great as well, I'm already thrilled by it. Great work, I'm looking forward for the next part :)

• edited July 2016

You know, the more i read the description the more i think you're getting into the next popular type of story. With Detroit Become Human being one of the most popular games to come out of E3 and HBO's annocing Westworld as their new 'break through' series it seems that robot slaves suddenly gaing sentience is going to be a very liked story type.

Good timing :)

• Hey great prologue ,

i submitted a character two days ago , and i was quite tired when i wrote it , so if perhaps i missed something on his apperance or something like that , ask me no probs ,

I see that Dan also makes nightmares just like the character i introduced , it's kinda funny^^

Sign in to comment in this discussion.