Your Thoughts On The Penguin's/Oswald Cobblepot's Reimagining?

Comments

• Also great to see you outside of FOT man :).

Well, yeah, that was just an example I like him too though, but sometimes death is the natural conclusion for a character's arc. Can't ofc say yet if that's the case with Oz.

• Haha, a rare sight :D

Lord_EAA posted: »

Also great to see you outside of FOT man .

• Pretty much this.

He isn't some fat guy with a top hat and a mobster, so you know, original. I enjoyed him, so whatever they do with him, I hope it's fresh and good.

• From what I am aware of the lore, Oswald is one of the few who got some kind of redemption arc by becomind a snitch for Batman.

It is. But my point stands. He really doesn't seem like a character that was made for redemption.

• My opinion is that he will soon backstab you.

It wouldn't surprise me if he engaged Catwoman for the steal. After all, he appears just after the stealing. I wonder if he won't try to take back Falcone's empire.

I don't get all the love Penguin suddenly got though; the portrayal is interesting in this episode but it looks like you've got to make a character thin to be liked, despise having an interesting plot/being well written aswell.

• That only lasted for a while. And this version of Oswald is insanely different from that one.

Euron posted: »

From what I am aware of the lore, Oswald is one of the few who got some kind of redemption arc by becomind a snitch for Batman.

• The only thing we know from his character now are the things from the comics; you can't say he's got no redemption arc if he's different from the others penguins. It's too early to tell how huge are the differences between those two universes.

The snitch lasted long enough; correct me if I'm wrong (which I might be) but after he stopped "working" for Batman nothing happened to him that much.

That only lasted for a while. And this version of Oswald is insanely different from that one.

• edited August 2016

Well so far he resembles Hush more than any other character and he sure as heck was light years beyond anything resembling redemption.

And I think he returned to his normal criminal dealings. The Penguin getting redemption was even explored in one of the best Batman The Animated Series episodes. But the conclusion itself stated that even though he did everything to fix his crimes society will never accept him. Meaning he is trapped for ever in the role of the villain.

The only thing we know from his character now are the things from the comics; you can't say he's got no redemption arc if he's different fro

• Don't know about anyone else, but I don't find TTG!Penguin to be too attractive. Even if I love skinny men, I can't stand his haircut. :V

My opinion is that he will soon backstab you. It wouldn't surprise me if he engaged Catwoman for the steal. After all, he appears just af

• I think oz will end up being the mayor of gotham, hear me out, the achievement list http://www.xboxachievements.com/game/batman-the-telltaleseries--xbox-one/achievements/ lists in chapter 5 that we'll be dealing with someone in a political position. It seems unlikely that Hamilton Hill will be the season's Big Bad, and having the Penguin as the mayor would work as a Shout-Out to Batman Returns, the adam west series and the penguin story arc of the batman adventures

• edited August 2016

I feel like the only one that dosen't like this version.

I expected to see a fat old man with umbrellas and is a leader of his own gang, and...I'm a little disappointed.

He's a 6/10 for me. If he turns out to be a villain, he'll be an 8.

• I thought Danny DeVito's Penguin was pretty good.

fayescarlet posted: »

I like this Penguin better than Danny De Vito, that's for sure. :V I hope he won't actually end up a bad guy this time around.

• Well, I don't dislike him, he was pretty funny to me. :D

I thought Danny DeVito's Penguin was pretty good.

• edited August 2016

I think they did a good job with his character.

In fact, I found his character arc to be the most tragic of all versions of Penguin I've ever seen.

Well, I don't dislike him, he was pretty funny to me.

• How you would want an old fat man with an umbrella over this I will not understand.

I feel like the only one that dosen't like this version. I expected to see a fat old man with umbrellas and is a leader of his own gang, and...I'm a little disappointed. He's a 6/10 for me. If he turns out to be a villain, he'll be an 8.

• edited August 2016

I just wanted him to be like in the comics and other adaptations, that's all.

How you would want an old fat man with an umbrella over this I will not understand.

• This is telltales own take on batman, I'd rather it not be the exact same stuff all over again.

I just wanted him to be like in the comics and other adaptations, that's all.

• edited August 2016

Look, I don't have this version. I just expected something else, okay?

Maybe if he becomes a villain, I'll think differently. Deal?

This is telltales own take on batman, I'd rather it not be the exact same stuff all over again.

• I'd be surprised if he didn't become a villain.

Look, I don't have this version. I just expected something else, okay? Maybe if he becomes a villain, I'll think differently. Deal?

• As would I.

I'd be surprised if he didn't become a villain.

• edited August 2016

Wow, what is wrong with me? Unlike the rest of you I find this version of Oz extremely boring. Is it because of his revolution? Is it because he is a childhood friend of Bruce? Is it because he's totally different from the version I think of?

Sure, for me it would have probably been better to just make him a new character entirely, but I don't think that's why I think he's boring so far. It's probably because we have so many of those extreme revolution characters. It might have worked well for the Joker in the Nolan movie (because the character there is just super good) and it might have worked for V (Vendetta) etc., but this Oz is just some kind of one dimensional copy paste villain to me (so far). We didn't see much of him, so I hope there is some good dialogue to come. I want something new .. not just "buhu, they took all from my family so I make them pay and create a new order".

[EDIT] P.S. I would find it funny, if TTG would build in the last line in a similar way. One of his opponents mocking him :D And then Oz kills him grusomely.

• Well even than he did not grow up in the UK he was there as an adult and you don't really pick up an accent as strong as his from that.

I'm British and I have an English accent and I have some foreign friends here but they do not have an English accent as they did not grow up here.

@Lord_EAA pointed out that Oswald was jailed in Essex Prison Department. It can be seen during the profile that Bruce and Alfred looked at w

• one suggestion about the Joker possibly being a woman is quickly shouted down...

What's your point with this exactly? As if there was any point to unreasonably switch genders, it doesn't change anything.

It's interesting how Telltale's re-interpretation of the Penguin is (mostly) embraced, one suggestion about the Joker possibly being a woman is quickly shouted down...

• [removed]

Isterio posted: »

Wow, what is wrong with me? Unlike the rest of you I find this version of Oz extremely boring. Is it because of his revolution? Is it becaus

• He's pretty alright. I would have preferred him to be the fat version because he's the Penguin. Penguins are a little fat, so it fits. But I don't have a problem with this version. Just hope that TellTale make him a great villian.

• You're not the first person mentioning Hush. I have no idea who that is, since I'm not reading the comics (I know, blasphemie :) ). But from the explanations from you and the others I gather that he's exactly like this Oz. They probably wanted a better known name for the villain and made him Oz.

I'm not necessarily against making characters different, but I expect it to be done well. Otherwise what's the point? At first I actually didn't realise that Oz could be the main villain for all episodes. He was just too boring. I didn't like his scenes (park and end/preview). Since we didn't see much of him I hope that they (TTG) are going to give us some good stuff involving him. Means good writing (scenes/motives/dialogue).

At the moment I would really rather see more of Harvey and Selina in order to create some drama :D ... I mean in order to show some more sides of Bruce. I prefer those dialogues to others.

• Oh, well...sorry, as the name imply, I shouldn´t talk to much about Hush. But yeah, some of the backstory and presentation of Oswald in this game is similar to another character from the story arc Hush (which you can find in several collected editions if you ever decided to give it a go to batman comics, I´ll say it´s on the top 20 cape crusader comic stories). And the rest of the plot also mirrors the limited in-cannon series The Long Halloween, which is consider generally to be the second year of batman´s history after Frank Miller´s Year One.

My take on this Oswald is more bias though, I have being reading batman for soooo many years that I do not deal well with changes. It´s a problem, I know, but sadly it affects my enjoyment of this TellTale series. And I don´t mind that much a younger and healthier Penguin, the part that annoys me is that he´s the same age as Bruce, they were friends as children and he has this design at the same time as batman is already active.

Like I said, comicbook reader. Sometimes is a curse when it comes to adaptations.

Isterio posted: »

You're not the first person mentioning Hush. I have no idea who that is, since I'm not reading the comics (I know, blasphemie ). But from t

• Yeah, and he doesn´t even has a limp making him walk like a Penguin or a sharp nose as a beak, I guess that´s why I can forgive Gotham´s version (although that show is reaaaallly bad and he´s probably the best part, that also comes into play). But like you say they haven´t saw all their cards yet and all of this could be for something great.

He's pretty alright. I would have preferred him to be the fat version because he's the Penguin. Penguins are a little fat, so it fits. But I don't have a problem with this version. Just hope that TellTale make him a great villian.

• I totally understand that. If I'm a fan of something I would also feel weird, if it's totally different in a certain adaption. Since I never really cared much for the Penguin, I was willing to give him a chance. But he didn't convince me yet either. If they would have made Vampire Batman or something like that, I might see it differently. I once watched an animated movie with "evil" mexican Superman and vampire batman etc. It was quite good, but I would have preferred a more "normal" version of Batman.

I really think they should have made a new character, instead of calling him Oz. It's just a weird thing to do.

SpaceTales posted: »

Oh, well...sorry, as the name imply, I shouldn´t talk to much about Hush. But yeah, some of the backstory and presentation of Oswald in this

• Did you really insult people in the telltale group photo?

• kenjisalkkenjisalk Telltale Alumni

So glad to see so much love for our Oz! He's definitely one of my favorite characters so far. Plus he is manic, playful and fun but also with a dark side , which is a trait I absolutely love about DC villains. : )

• Well I think that's the point, he is a friend to Bruce but an enemy with Batman

It's a change for sure and one I like. But I get this feeling Cobblepots revolution will be his transformation into a more familar form. M

• edited August 2016

I like this version of Cobblepot, but am I the only one who thinks he looks and acts like the Joker? Add to that the whole thing about stolen mind altering chemicals and the plan to turn the city upside down...

Are we sure we're looking at the Penguin?

• Well they turned him from capitalist to commie from what I have seen

• Not saying that he doesn't act like the Joker, but anyone with a bit of crazy in them can act and seem like the Joker.

Gilgamesh45 posted: »

I like this version of Cobblepot, but am I the only one who thinks he looks and acts like the Joker? Add to that the whole thing about stol

• I need more time with this character, but I do like what I've seen so far. Oz has big plans that will hopefully make the story even more interesting and feels very charasmatic and strong enough to pull it off. My problem with him is that this may be a character that will be a dick to Bruce no matter how nice you are to him. This is TT spin on Batman and can do something different with these characters. So hopefully it won't all just end with Bruce vs. Everyone like in other Batman universes. What would be the point of playing Bruce if he couldn't contribute to save Gotham? Also Oz has a very confusing back story as people have pointend out.

• I'll miss Midget Penguin, but the new one is a lot better.

• I don't see what's wrong with his haircut :c

Don't know about anyone else, but I don't find TTG!Penguin to be too attractive. Even if I love skinny men, I can't stand his haircut. :V

• It's just a weird preference of mine, I'm not a fan of the "half-shaven" look. :V

I don't see what's wrong with his haircut :c

• I don't think so. Oz isn't straight up crazy. There was purpose behind his violent behavior.
    "Lowlife like you don't belong!"

Gilgamesh45 posted: »

I like this version of Cobblepot, but am I the only one who thinks he looks and acts like the Joker? Add to that the whole thing about stol

Sign in to comment in this discussion.