Unfair video is unfair.

Look, Telltale is not a perfect studio, they've had their bumps in the road and some of their design choices have been a tad questionable, as in some IPs are better handled than others and some choices ultimately don't mean anything in the long run, and there was a time where I was ultimately about to give up on them mainly due to how it seemed like the writing was getting more predictable, characters were feeling less three dimensional, and shorter episodes which kept the characters and the world around them from feeling fleshed out but then, a golden child by the name of Tales from the Borderlands came into my life and told me that this studio still had that creative spark and energy that made me gravitate toward them in the first place.

Telltale themselves have stated they don't really care if people think of their "games" as games at all, as long they feel they've provided an enjoyable interactive experience to a player , they're satisfied.

What doesn't satisfy me is this unfair video.

enter link description here

Now, I AM NOT DOGPILING ON THIS VIDEO BECAUSE THEY WERE NEGATIVE, that's absurd, I am perfectly okay with Mike and Ryan saying the graphics are bad, the voice acting is poor, Harvey Dent's chin looks stupid and Batman's deep voice is stupid, that's all personal taste stuff and it's all subjective anyway.

My issue with this entire video is the fact that it felt like they didn't do much of their homework before playing this (ESPECIALLY Ryan who seems to have only played pre TWD S1 Telltale games) and complained that it wasn't a full on "always be Batman" action game and act like it's the game's fault rather than they just had the wrong expectations. Another major issue with their logic is how much they complain about choices not mattering all that much WHEN IT'S THE FIRST EPISODE OF AN UNREALEASED FIVE PART SERIES, and I highly doubt both of them know anything about what's going to happen in this story.

Look, this video just annoyed me in how unfair it was and I know the point of these videos is just them talking about modern video games and that's cool, but if you're going to do I wouldn't recommended making an argument about something you don't fully understand, it's just kind of unfair to me.

Comments

• Haters always hate no matter how the game is :(

• The first thing the guy on the right said is that he doesn't like QTE games. The rest of the video is completely invalid.

• Seems like 2 people who never played a Telltale game and didnt do any homework on what the game was. Kinda reminds me of the steam forums of Batman, and the Steam forums of Tales from the Borderlands with people going, "Wait? This isnt like other Borderlands games? It had Borderlands in the title, so it should have been the same?????"

• just give these guys a call of duty and they'll be fine

• I find it surprising, because these guys' thing is that they like retro-gaming so much that sometimes they seem to be a bit out of touch with modern video games. In this video, however, they are criticising stuff that they should not care, according to their general opinion of other games, like how they say Until Dawn at least "looked better". Now I like how Until Dawn looks, but Batman's art direction is like this by choice and the critics they make are not very well expressed('Harvey Dent's chin looks stupid' is not exactly a quote from Demosthenes).

I was kind of disappointed in them, didn't take them for the kind of people who would just join a horde of critics in bashing a game without really articulating their thoughts. Then again, their channel raised to fame thanks to a character that did exactly that.

• I also found it annoying that they were mad Batman wasnt Kevin Conroy.

I honestly dont get why everyone feels like Batman ALWAYS needs to be Kevin Conroy and the Joker ALWAYS needs to be Mark Hamill. It feels like people just want the exact same Batman with the exact same stories.

carletes147 posted: »

I find it surprising, because these guys' thing is that they like retro-gaming so much that sometimes they seem to be a bit out of touch wit

• i agreed with what mike and ryan said i thought it was a great review

• It wasn't much of a review honestly.

Duck_Hunt posted: »

i agreed with what mike and ryan said i thought it was a great review

• Eh. Its his opinion, so whatever. They hated it, so they aren't going to play more. Oh well.

• edited August 2016

It comes off as a little petty and unfair when you're trying to make an argument complaining about something you don't fully understand. It's fine if they hate it but most of their arguments pertaining to how it plays and the mechanics don't hold much water.

Eh. Its his opinion, so whatever. They hated it, so they aren't going to play more. Oh well.

• It's just one of those bandwagons.

Poogers555 posted: »

I also found it annoying that they were mad Batman wasnt Kevin Conroy. I honestly dont get why everyone feels like Batman ALWAYS needs to

• True, but its not like they'll listen or care. They hate it, so they'll move on and we won't have to hear them whine about it ever again, so all is well.

J-Master posted: »

It comes off as a little petty and unfair when you're trying to make an argument complaining about something you don't fully understand. It'

• Yeah, I guess I was just really disappointed with how somewhat "out of touch" they both were and I didn't care for their smug attitude about the whole thing. But who cares they're acting like morons so whatever.

True, but its not like they'll listen or care. They hate it, so they'll move on and we won't have to hear them whine about it ever again, so all is well.

• They had a few good points, but this review was hyperbolic and even childish from time to time. A lot of the complaining felt like they just wanted more Until Dawn and this kind of game is simply not for them. Seriously a lot of whining over a $5 game.

• This.Just nitpicking

Duck_Hunt posted: »

i agreed with what mike and ryan said i thought it was a great review

• They thought the voice acting was bad? They literally have the top of the tippy top of VA's in this game. No matter what the VA would never be bad. Seems to me they are just mad that it is either the same VA's or not the ones they are use to.

I honestly thought that this game has the potential to be one of TTG top games. There are some things that is annoying and they they need to fix on. For one is variations with choices or mistakes NEEDS to be a thing in their games. You can't have me miss QTE's and continue the same action as if I actually hit it. You also can't give me the option not to harm someone and then allude that I am a monster for harming someone I didn't harm. TTG to me is like a significantly scaled down point to point Quantic Dreams in my opinion. Environmental interaction isn't necessarily high, can't necessarily explore the area, QTE's everywhere, and story is the big selling point.

Regardless, I know what I am getting from TTG at this point. The big thing is the story and if the story is strong and makes sense then I am happy.

• I am so tired. I am so tired of hearing the same god forsaken complaints from people. If its as bad as they claim why is the lowest review this game gets in ANY gaming website I've seen is an 8/10. J-Master just ignore them and move on. There are THOUSANDS of people who enjoy telltale games for what they are. Don't get sucked up in these guys biased opinions. If you want I could even recommend several youtube walkthroughs of it that you could enjoy, so you can get this out of your head.

• Funny enough I would normally take this as a fun review from Mike. But with AGVN refuseing to review Ghostbusters 2016,it feels a bit like the channel is courting internet rage now! Like here this will tick 'em off let's do it! I can think of no other reason for Mike to review a game type he hates! Mikes reviews have always been games he loves before now. Frankly he needs to stick to that because this stuff will kill the channel otherwise. Just unthinkable to be this stupid right now.

• edited August 2016

If it was anybody else, I would've just ignored them but I guess it caught me by surprise that all this stupidity was coming out of Mike's mouth since he's a guy I usually respect, so this video was a let down for me.

Lord_EAA posted: »

I am so tired. I am so tired of hearing the same god forsaken complaints from people. If its as bad as they claim why is the lowest review t

• I've had the same experience before. If you still enjoy them ignore this happened and go back to enjoying their other content.

J-Master posted: »

If it was anybody else, I would've just ignored them but I guess it caught me by surprise that all this stupidity was coming out of Mike's mouth since he's a guy I usually respect, so this video was a let down for me.

• Speaking for Conroy fans I'll say this. Conroy is to Batman as Mel Blanc is to Bugs Bunny! Same for Hammil to Joker. What's weird to me is Joker seems to get a free pass by most as he's multi-faceted character. Batman has two speeds as it were. And many Hollywood greats have failed to capture him as well as Mr. Conroy. Don't get me wrong,I'm diging Troy in this. His Bruce may redefine the character. But my brain needs to hear a Conroy esc Batman. Baker did'nt even attempt a Conroy,which some see as an insult. For a half second I thought of Grunt from Mass Effect when I heard his Batman. That's not a bad thing just unnerving. Heck Alfred even point blank tells him to tone it down! As for wanting the same story.... This is a reboot not a remake. If too many changes are made you get Ghostbuster 2016 instead of Fury Road or Jurassic World. I have the feeling this story will find that balance. If people give it the chance to.

I also found it annoying that they were mad Batman wasnt Kevin Conroy. I honestly dont get why everyone feels like Batman ALWAYS needs to

• It feels like people just want the exact same Batman with the exact same stories.

This sort of thing kind of bores me if I'm honest, I mean, what's wrong with having something that's new - especially if it's just a new voice.

• Sadly it seems their fanbase likes them more than thinking. Most of the top comments are people thanking them for telling them the game sucked because they were planning on buying it (Thanks for ruining the experience for so many people guys!). In the worst case the channel could do a 180 and turn into a rant channel constantly complaining about games. It wouldn't be the first time that worked.

Funny enough I would normally take this as a fun review from Mike. But with AGVN refuseing to review Ghostbusters 2016,it feels a bit like

• These types of reviewers are the worst, you do not play a TellTalegames game for Arkham Knights style combat. TellTalegames are all about a story that you can have an impact on in sometimes subtle ways and occasionally significant ways. This review was a hatchet job of nitpickery and hate that it does not do what other games do.

Like most YouTube reviewers they have learned when you trash a game that was anticipated you get more views. Wait until their TWD season three episodes 1 review...bet it will be like a Trump tweet...Game so weak..epic Fail!

I have no respect for most reviewers today because in this age of a million reviewers on YouTube, they have to out demean a game to get noticed.

• If its as bad as they claim why is the lowest review this game gets in ANY gaming website I've seen is an 8/10.

That's actually not really true. You can go on open critic and easily see it has gotten scores lower than a 8/10.

I am so tired. I am so tired of hearing the same god forsaken complaints from people. If its as bad as they claim why is the lowest review t

• Gaming website. That was the key word.

If its as bad as they claim why is the lowest review this game gets in ANY gaming website I've seen is an 8/10. That's actually not really true. You can go on open critic and easily see it has gotten scores lower than a 8/10.

• Judging by the dislikes on this vid, it appears alot of people agree with you, J-Master.

• How do you throw away a digital game?

• The recycle bin

How do you throw away a digital game?

• edited August 2016

Alright, I'll link some of the reviews then.

IGN - 7.5/10

PC Gamer - 68/100

Game Informer - 7/10

There are a good amount that don't have scores but are not really that positive. Then you have the sites that review games that have given it a lower score than 8/10. The point is to say that this game generally gets 8/10 is not really true. If anything I've seen far more 7/10 which is what I scored it myself. More than likely the score is that low because of technical issues. If most of them that reviewed this game knew that the QTE's are pointless and for the majority you can just sit through them. Most of them would probably have a little bit lower opinion of the game. Don't forget that you also had that sequence where Alfred will go "You nearly killed a man" when in fact you can not harm him at all.

Gaming website. That was the key word.

• edited August 2016

That be pretty anticlimactic. "This games ass!". Opens up Steam. hits uninstall. Pop, but you can still see the game on your steam list. "OH...well shit".

dojo32161 posted: »

The recycle bin

• I stopped trusting IGN a while ago and I never heard of Pc gamer. Game Informer gave it a 7/10? You sure, it wasn't like that last time. Could they have changed it?

Oh well despite this I accept that my statement was and absolute that would either be untrue from the start or become untrue with time. Regardless my other points still stand, the episode remains with an overall positive rating and has been praised for it's story and original take on the Batman mythos. There ARE thousands of people who enjoy the game and it's NOWHERE near as bad as Mike and Ryan made it out to be.

And also you got the glitch wrong. He only says "You nearly killed that man" if you beat him or break his arm (or both).

If you do take the pacifist road he'll say "You beat him half to death."

This is because the game had three separate dialogue's and can't process the pacifist option for this scene and automatically thinks you played neutral.

Alright, I'll link some of the reviews then. IGN - 7.5/10 PC Gamer - 68/100 Game Informer - 7/10 There are a good amount that do

• You don't even know what PC Gamer is which has been around forever....

I'm not saying it is as bad as these two assholes say it is. I'm just pointing out that TTG and their games do have glaring issues.

Also, no I didn't get the glitch wrong as that literally is what happened to me and some other people. That particular "glitch" may not be as known. Regardless saying how you beat someone half to death when you literally don't beat him at all. You have Gordan notice your non-violent approach only to have Alfred allude to you becoming a monster.

I know you are justifying it and that is understandable. Though, the fact is if they allude you to take that route then they at least need to make accommodations for it. With Batman the allusion of choice is actually really terrible when you look at everything. The fact that you can miss most of the QTE's and it continues like you hit them. Or the fact that they we can't get variations to how our first interaction with Catwomen concludes. Is probably the most appalling as it become obvious that they don't account for variations. The gameplay at the very least is very linear with the story being strong but following that same path without even really trying to give a allusion of choice.

I don't know......I just wished that they would have the option of scenes working out differently depending on our choices and execution of the QTE's. Just seems like they aren't even trying to do that anymore which disappoints me. That's why I said that if a lot more of those that reviewed it realized how the QTE's worked out. They would have a little bit lower opinion of this game.

I stopped trusting IGN a while ago and I never heard of Pc gamer. Game Informer gave it a 7/10? You sure, it wasn't like that last time. Cou

• And that my friend is where you are wrong. There are so many different variations in dialogue and even scenes that play different that it's pretty baffling. There is no 'illusion' anymore. If you pick the color purple for your bat gadgets it's not blue, it's purple. And you keep that color for everything. That is a decision that affected an aspect of your game that you could have changed.

For all your complaining about the glitch it happened BECAUSE there were three completely different dialogues. IT WAS A CHOICE and even then it's not like the rest of the game 'pretends' it didn't happen. Batman can have two different interactions with Gordon depending on it IF THE PLAYER CHOSES TO EVEN WATCH THEM, because again you have the CHOICE to leave.

I understand being mad at the game, it's not perfect. But it's important we also accept there was an effort put so at least SOME of the players decisions affect the narrative.

You don't even know what PC Gamer is which has been around forever.... I'm not saying it is as bad as these two assholes say it is. I'm j

• A Hungarian site gave it 56 out of 100

Most critics point out the bugs, the growing issues with telltale games and shrinking importance of choices. The above mentioned reviewer was unable to even load up the game with his own good config PC, and had to play it on a different one. Reading through reviews on Steam many have similar problems.

• edited August 2016

There is one way to keep it canon but still produce a new Batman game without boring most non-Batman fans, make it a story about Batman Beyond

b

prink34320 posted: »

It feels like people just want the exact same Batman with the exact same stories. This sort of thing kind of bores me if I'm honest, I mean, what's wrong with having something that's new - especially if it's just a new voice.

• To be frank, that's why reviewers exist, to tell you to play or not to play a game. You better ignore them all, just as you should ignore hype and cinematic trailers.

Sadly it seems their fanbase likes them more than thinking. Most of the top comments are people thanking them for telling them the game suck

• refund?

That be pretty anticlimactic. "This games ass!". Opens up Steam. hits uninstall. Pop, but you can still see the game on your steam list. "OH...well shit".

• I can't though. It's important to hear different perspectives otherwise we become stuck in our own little worlds. But these two went out of their way to complain about minor issues.

joriandrake posted: »

To be frank, that's why reviewers exist, to tell you to play or not to play a game. You better ignore them all, just as you should ignore hype and cinematic trailers.

• they are obviously just idiots who have never played a telltale game before.

joriandrake posted: »

refund?

Sign in to comment in this discussion.