Rickard Morgryn's role in season 2

I've never, EVER said this about a GoT villain before...but I actually want to see more of Morgryn. Initially he came across as a watered-down variation of Littlefinger, but he slowly evolved throughout the first season into his own devious persona. I can't respect a guy who wouldn't have the slightest reservation about slitting my throat if the opportunity presented itself, but he's fascinating to watch all the same. He has all the best qualities in a good villain: You almost like him, and that makes you hate him even more. The fact Nick Afka Thomas KILLED it behind the microphone with his serpentine delivery was the icing on the cake.

Since my version of Mira was wedded to Morgryn, I'm almost in agony to see what Telltale will do with that subplot, even if Mira has become permanently relegated to the role of a silent, submissive bride. There's a popular quote from Frank Herbert's Dune: "He who controls the spice controls the universe." Even if ironwood isn't as crucial to the world of GoT as spice was to Herbert's, it's clear that whoever seizes control of the ironwood business from the Forresters, with the craftsmen at his beck and call in addition to the raw material, would be sitting on top the GoT equivalent of a nuclear arsenal. Ironwood gives an army a MASSIVE advantage in any battle on land or at sea, and that kind of ace in the hole would make a Machiavellian like Rickard Morgryn drool.

Even if he isn't the principal antagonist, I'd love to see Morgryn lurking nearby (alongside Mira, if she was married to him) monitoring the situation from a safe distance.

![http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/5/5d/Morgryn.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20151220193446]

Comments

• He indeed is a great villain, I'd like to see what comes of Mira's marriage in S2 too, however I find it unlikely that we'll ever see her again (unless she dies 3 minutes into S2)

• edited December 2016

I don't think Telltale added that "Morgryn will now speak for you" caption for nothing.

By ceding control to Morgryn, the player effectively lost control of Mira. The caption implied she was little more than a tool from that moment onward, which is a clever and insidious way for the character to repeatedly show up in season 2 without having any real impact on the plot.

Even if Mira refused to wed Morgryn, another member of this forum (I can't remember who right now; sorry) suggested the idea of the other woman in the cell taking Mira's place. She looks remarkably similar to Mira, and Morgryn has enough power to alter any sort of documents or paperwork to officially identify the woman as Mira Forrester. With the Forrester family scattered, no one would be able to discredit Morgryn's bride aside from Tom, and it's unlikely even he would be willing to tear down Morgryn's lie after seeing Mira fall prey to the executioner's axe.

He indeed is a great villain, I'd like to see what comes of Mira's marriage in S2 too, however I find it unlikely that we'll ever see her again (unless she dies 3 minutes into S2)

• If Telltale goes the route of adding a Whitehill POV, Rickard could be an antagonist for him/her as they both have their eyes set on Ironrath. But I agree, Morgryn's a great character and I'd love to see him return as an antagonist.

• I am still wondering how a Whitehill POV could work. I guess the Forrester in me is having a difficult time reconciling with that. :P

If Telltale make a Whitehill POV, should it be a family member or a household retainer? Like a soldier or something else.

AgentZ46 posted: »

If Telltale goes the route of adding a Whitehill POV, Rickard could be an antagonist for him/her as they both have their eyes set on Ironrath. But I agree, Morgryn's a great character and I'd love to see him return as an antagonist.

• edited December 2016

I wouldn't be mad if he does appear in season 2 but the thing is, I literally let Mira wed that bastard and he does have that Little Finger personality(But little Finger would crush him cause he has more Experience in the Game Of Thrones like Tyrion)but if he does I hope at some point we play has Mira again god the thought of Mira getting revenge is soo sweet and I have prediction ready for that if it happens but if it doesn't. I still will share it cause Telltale might do that ***** Treatment god I hated it please don't that to her I love her and her story is setup in a way I see her like Sansa Stark I can't wait season 2 and also the idea of playing a whitehill would be good but I love the idea of playing a Lannister more that's something very interesting *Note I said Blank Treatment cause I don't know if using the right words in this topic will be right now

• I'm personally against the idea of playing as a Whitehill, (then again I was against Javier being the main character in TWD ANF but I ended up loving him.) if we were to be a Whitehill I think Torrhen Whitehill would be best if he isn't the main antagonist. Or they could do a character similar to Gared. Someone who's loyal to the family, considers them to be family but isn't actually blood related.

I am still wondering how a Whitehill POV could work. I guess the Forrester in me is having a difficult time reconciling with that. :P If

• I want his role in season 2 to be getting killed in a brutal way

• edited January 2017

Definitely I want that more but by Mira

I want his role in season 2 to be getting killed in a brutal way

• I think that it would be possible to play as the Whitehill son who is training at the Citadel, since maesters aren't supposed to take sides in anything.

I am still wondering how a Whitehill POV could work. I guess the Forrester in me is having a difficult time reconciling with that. :P If

• The idea that Morgryn could pass another woman off as Mira is pretty unlikely. Mira was killed at a public excecution. That means no shortage of witnesses who could clarify her death. Plus, considering she was convicted of conspiring against the crown (wrongly, but still), even if Morgryn did find a way to convince the world Mira was still alive, he would basically be admitting to harboring a criminal, which could get him in trouble with the Lannisters. Not to mention that it was Morgryn himself who got Mira convicted (in addition to his usual stuff, he was present at the execution and testified against her.)

Overall, I just can't think of how Morgryn could work around Mira's death, aside from falling back on whatever plans he had before getting the idea to marry her.

I don't think Telltale added that "Morgryn will now speak for you" caption for nothing. By ceding control to Morgryn, the player effe

• Yeah, the fact Mira was publicly executed in the "Reject Morgryn" scenario would pretty much trash the entire plan. I should have thought of that.

Cybersbe posted: »

The idea that Morgryn could pass another woman off as Mira is pretty unlikely. Mira was killed at a public excecution. That means no shortag

• What if we've already been playing a Whitehill? Another traitor? (=

I think that it would be possible to play as the Whitehill son who is training at the Citadel, since maesters aren't supposed to take sides in anything.

• Personally I feel it would have been better if he hadnt told mira it was all him for ...some reason. I mean the smart move would be to not tell her at all or at least wait until she was arrested if you are arrogant enough that you had to tell her.

Anyway personally I feel he will go to ironrath and attempt to take some control there or at least make a better deal with whitehill. That or maybe nothing at all, I cant really see how kings landing can be in season 2 with the characters we have. I have no real desire to play as sera, and I dont think shes a good character to be playable anyway

• I think it will be the oldest son, either hes come back home to take control of the house or come back to get ready to control the house following his brothers death. Also the fact we havnt seen him before allows us to affect his personality.

Im guessing if done well he'll be a guy whos trying to do right by his own house in tricky cicumstances and being blamed for a lot of stuff his family does but he doesnt especially or being blamed for stuff the boltons do. Kind of like a jaime character, hardly innoncent or anything but really a lot of it is out of his control.

One example i'm thinking of is that im predicting the boltons will offer eleana glenmore to be his wife and we have to deal with being married to this woman who absolutely hates you

• Unless they've completely abandoned that storyline Tom's boss could be an option for a Kings Landing POV. And yes I'm fully aware of the unused line of Tom revealing who his boss is, but that could likely have been rewritten or a lie from Tom.

Personally I feel it would have been better if he hadnt told mira it was all him for ...some reason. I mean the smart move would be to not t

• Maybe but I doubt it, I'm not really sure what point they would serve. House forrester is essentially gone, only there family is really going to care at this point

AgentZ46 posted: »

Unless they've completely abandoned that storyline Tom's boss could be an option for a Kings Landing POV. And yes I'm fully aware of the unused line of Tom revealing who his boss is, but that could likely have been rewritten or a lie from Tom.

• How could we possibly have been playing a traitor already? Gared is on a suicide mission for the Forresters, Asher/Rodrik probably died fighting them, and Mira is possibly dead.

rabbitrun posted: »

What if we've already been playing a Whitehill? Another traitor? (=

• All part of the plan

How could we possibly have been playing a traitor already? Gared is on a suicide mission for the Forresters, Asher/Rodrik probably died fighting them, and Mira is possibly dead.

• Don't think so, Olenna Tyrell won't appear as POV guys."The Queen of Thornes" is an important character in the books and series.

Maybe but I doubt it, I'm not really sure what point they would serve. House forrester is essentially gone, only there family is really going to care at this point

• Both get killed by the Wildfire thanks to Cersei ;)

strwar3 posted: »

Definitely I want that more but by Mira

• Morgryn will most likely play a role similar to Walder Fray. Rodrik/Asher might hear Mira got married and go visit Morgryn and then Morgryn kills Rodrik/Asher and then Talia will play a role similar to Arya. All this will happen within a five minute flashback

• That's a s h i t of final of Rodrik/Asher character if Telltale do that I won't buy any telltale product more in my life!!!!.
    At least they should make their end playable not a f u c k i n g flashback :(

Morgryn will most likely play a role similar to Walder Fray. Rodrik/Asher might hear Mira got married and go visit Morgryn and then Morgryn

• Yea like the Clementine flashbacks, they were playable lol just kidding I hope they don't do that. I know it'll take more time for each episode to come out if they go the determinant route for Rodrik/Asher but I don't mind if they do take three or four months for an episode to come out.

Tunak23 posted: »

That's a s h i t of final of Rodrik/Asher character if Telltale do that I won't buy any telltale product more in my life!!!!. At least they should make their end playable not a f u c k i n g flashback

• edited February 2017

Morgryn does have potential to be an antagonist in Season 2 with or without Mira even though there really isn't much left of Ironrath. I doubt the Whitehills would give it up without a fight.

It is likely Torrhen Whitehill will be recalled and play a major part in Season 2. Morgryn could cause trouble for both parties but I would prefer if he got his comeuppance at the hands of a Forrester.

• Ugh, I hadn't considered that marriage to Morgryn might cede all control of Mira in season 2. That would really suck, although I'd still have her do it out of simple self-preservation.

This marriage definitely would and should marginalize her, but I was seriously hoping that the game would explore that and give us some lovely role-playing scenes with more of the old-fashioned, lopsided power dynamics that make GoT so intriguing. In hindsight, that might not seem so likely with half the players having her executed before the start of the season with no expectation of seeing that content.

Still, I hope they do make something out of it and trust that enough of us will replay and go down the other route to make that content worth including. And then I don't want to hear a single "That's unfair! What about the rest of us? We want as much content as the ones who go the other way!" out of the same whiny gits who always demand more consequences for player choice.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.