Monkey Island ripped off Pirates of the Caribbean!

2»

Comments

• edited August 2009
    I just watched the last POTC movie again last night, and it seems pretty clear the writers were quite familar with "On Stranger Tides" as well... the last few scenes of the movie have Jack off in search of
    The Fountain of Youth, which is located somewhere in Florida according to his maps
    - this was the main goal of the pirates (and in the same location) in On Stranger Tides.
  • edited August 2009
    meander wrote: »
    I just watched the last POTC movie again last night, and it seems pretty clear the writers were quite familar with "On Stranger Tides" as well... the last few scenes of the movie have Jack off in search of
    The Fountain of Youth, which is located somewhere in Florida according to his maps
    - this was the main goal of the pirates (and in the same location) in On Stranger Tides.

the fountain being in florida is nothing new. Ponce de leon is said to have discovered florida while searching for the fountain of youth
  • edited August 2009
    Oh true? Totally didn't know that, thanks :)
  • edited August 2009
    RockNRoll wrote: »
    PoTC was obviously influenced heavily by Monkey Island. The correlations are everywhere, but one of the most flagrant ones is the skeleton ghost pirates. I mean c'mon. That's not from the ride.

They have "alive" skeleton pirates in the ride, and they had a "ghost" pirate in the original plans for the POTC ride. Originally you'd see a pile of bones, and the ghost would appear over the bones ala The Haunted Mansion to tell you his tale.
  • edited August 2009
    That would have been cool. I wonder why they didn't include it?
  • edited August 2009
    I forget. I think they had the same problems they had when doing the HM's famous "Hat Box Ghost".
  • edited October 2009
    The new POTC movie is going to be called "on stranger tides"

NO

LIE
  • edited October 2009
    I love the PotC movies and since both those movies and Monkey Island are based on a lot of real world legends and myths surrounding pirates it isn't that strange there are similarities. I really don't believe that was done on purpose.

Now excuse me while I will actually read the thread and hope I didn't post something somebody already said :P
  • edited July 2010
    Google trends... Monkey Island is searched nearly as much as PoTC in Norway...

http://www.google.com/trends?q=pirates+of+the+caribbean%2C+monkey+island&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

I like to think of them living in the same world as the book on Stranger tides.
  • edited July 2010
    jack sparrow reminded me of captain dread
  • edited May 2011
    Original MI was released in 1990 to pc..
    How could it rip any of the movies off?
    Maybe some concepts to the game from the ride but to say it ripped of stranger tides or any of the potc movies in general is fascinating to say the least.
  • edited May 2011
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Google trends... Monkey Island is searched nearly as much as PoTC in Norway...

Makes me proud.
  • edited May 2011
    Razdin wrote: »
    Original MI was released in 1990 to pc..
    How could it rip any of the movies off?
    Maybe some concepts to the game from the ride but to say it ripped of stranger tides or any of the potc movies in general is fascinating to say the least.

First of all, read the first post. The person titled the thread as a joke. :)
    Second, Ron Gilbert has said outright that he ripped off On Stranger Tides while making Monkey Island, and that he took inspiration from the POTC ride too. Thus, it's become a game in the fandom to find the similarities between the POTC movies and the MI games. :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.